6 Dayer Or Theistic Evolutionist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
but it's other Christians who say that Bono isn't a Christian.

Sadly true, in some instances :(

and that's the whole line of thougth i've been parodying, and that was elucidated by Sula -- if we take (literally) the lyrics of "wild honey," it's fairly clear that Bono thinks that people did evolve by swinging down from those trees and making tools and so on and so forth.

And that is fine by me, and if he believes otherwise that is also fine by me, as I said it was iddle curiosity; which no-one has yet answered definitively ;)

hence, by some rigid standards, Bono is not a Christian because, for some, belief in Creationism is a litmus test to get into the tree house.

Sadly true :(

and i also find it interesting to watch the sort of straining and twisting and reaching to take science, and wrap it into whatever God paradigm we already have, i.e., theistic evolution.
As an honours graduate in biological science, I can assure you I do not do that :) (backed by my response to you quoting AIG :D)

Science does not need to be twisted or strained to be God driven :)

Last edited:
The Fiddler said:

Science does not need to be twisted or strained to be God driven :)

other than marveling at what might be deemed "God's creation" as a possible motivation for scientific inquiry, i don't see how notions of God have any place in the scientific process.

I disagree. Notions of God do determine the value we place on life. Things might be "scientifically" beneficial, but fall on the wrong side of our spiritual/ethical line. If I do have to choose between science and the ethics that my beliefs have given me, I will choose my spiritual beliefs.

popsadie said:
I disagree. Notions of God do determine the value we place on life. Things might be "scientifically" beneficial, but fall on the wrong side of our spiritual/ethical line. If I do have to choose between science and the ethics that my beliefs have given me, I will choose my spiritual beliefs.

but you're talking about ethics, not the scientific process. cultural notions of God (or not) can affect how we use science, but they should never inform how we conduct scientific inquiry.

on that point, I agree. The scientific method and belief in God really don't have anything to do with each other. Thank you for the clarification.

What I know for sure is that Bono expresses some of the most Christian thoughts, and performs some of the most Christian actions, that I have ever heard or seen. It has never even occurred to me to consider what he believes about evolution, creationism, or anything like that-and I couldn't care less.

I read an interview somewhere in which Bono said that he does not think that we "exploded out of thin air" or that the universe is an accident. If that is taken with the "Wild Honey" line, I would conclude that Bono is in the Theistic Evolution group. But sometimes I wonder if the line about monkeys in "Wild Honey" should be taken literally or not, as he says later in the song that the world was "made." If he believed totally in evolution, I doubt he would use that word. :shrug: Someone should ask him sometime.

And, hey, why should we take everything he says literally but not the Bible?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It was ALL written by man, there's little difference.

So you're saying that the Bible has no more divine significance or inspiration than Bono's lyrics? I suppse that's why it's survived for thousands of years and has shaped world civilization like no other set of writings?

Rachel D. said:

So you're saying that the Bible has no more divine significance or inspiration than Bono's lyrics? I suppse that's why it's survived for thousands of years and has shaped world civilization like no other set of writings?

No, all I'm saying is it's still written word that takes something called faith to belive it at the end of the day...

There are no absolutes...

Here's a thought. Do you think Bono could have been speaking metaphorically when he sung "I was a monkey..." ?

Come on guys.

I think the whole evolution vs creationism debate to be one of the biggest side tracks of our times.

Trinity3000 said:
Here's a thought. Do you think Bono could have been speaking metaphorically when he sung "I was a monkey..." ?

Metaphor for what? Other than the obvious...

Trinity3000 said:

I think the whole evolution vs creationism debate to be one of the biggest side tracks of our times.

What exactly do you mean by "side tracks"?

Trinity3000 said:
I mean arguing over creationism and evolution side tracks Christians from dealing with more pressing issues.

I agree to a certain point, but it also brings to light one very crucial issue.

I think to ignore the issue of analogy vs literalism can make all the difference in Christianity, and that's essentially what this debate boils down to.

A majority of people around the world are familiar with the evolution, have been taught it, exposed to it in some way, it's not some obscure theory only a few people know about, so maybe Bono is just trying to appeal to the majority opinion. That's the criticism of U2 as of late, being too mainstream. Can't get more mainstream than evolution.

Theistic evolution is a compromise so religous folks can fit in with the majority's accepted theory, especially in scientific circles, academic circles. IMHO

I read a quote from Edge saying he doesn't think a lot people deep down believe in evolution but just sort accept it on a surface level. I can't remember where from, but I want to say it was interview sometime around the release of 'War.'

Then there was this quote from Adam talking about the more remote parts of Australia.

"You can go to places and you could be the first person walking there since the Creation or whatever." In that best of Propaganda book.

thrillme said:
A majority of people around the world are familiar with the evolution, have been taught it, exposed to it in some way, it's not some obscure theory only a few people know about, so maybe Bono is just trying to appeal to the majority opinion. That's the criticism of U2 as of late, being too mainstream. Can't get more mainstream than evolution.

That's a weak theory. :|

thrillme said:

Theistic evolution is a compromise so religous folks can fit in with the majority's accepted theory, especially in scientific circles, academic circles. IMHO

And that's even weaker.

thrillme said:

As a scientist I beg to differ.

The Fiddler said:

As a scientist I beg to differ.

For you as a scientist, but what of the person who loves the study of science, the natural world, but believes the Bible's 6-day creation to be true? Unless the person never says one way or another, will he/she not be mocked in some way by others for not accepting evolution like the majority of those also studying the sciences? Maybe it was just my experience that God isn't very welcome in any discussions about science. History sometimes, literature sure, but not the sciences. :shrug:

Do or do not, a majority of those in the scientific field, accept evolution, sans God/supernatural? I'm not yet 30, but never has God/the supernatural been mentioned in any of the biology books I've had to read and study. Not in high school, not in college.

6-day creationists believe it took 6 days, 24 hour days, for life on Earth as we know it, to be formed.

Theistic evolution, is a compromise between those 2 views. Yes or no? I hardly think that's a weak answer, it's a pragmatic answer.

Meh, I'm going to stick to the U2/music topics...these kinds of discussions tend to go south.

This thread is going to get moved to Free Your Mind unless it's about U2 and their views, not mine, so...unless someone wants to hang out at their studios and ask them, it's a guess to what they believe about the world.

"Since the Creation or whatever." That was something Adam said. Is evolution the whatever? Dunno.

Last edited:
thrillme said:

For you as a scientist, but what of the person who loves the study of science, the natural world, but believes the Bible's 6-day creation to be true? Unless the person never says one way or another, will he/she not be mocked in some way by others for not accepting evolution like the majority of those also studying the sciences? Maybe it was just my experience that God isn't very welcome in any discussions about science. History sometimes, literature sure, but not the sciences. :shrug:

Do or do not, a majority of those in the scientific field, accept evolution, sans God/supernatural? I'm not yet 30, but never has God/the supernatural been mentioned in any of the biology books I've had to read and study. Not in high school, not in college.

6-day creationists believe it took 6 days, 24 hour days, for life on Earth as we know it, to be formed.

Theistic evolution, is a compromise between those 2 views. Yes or no? I hardly think that's a weak answer, it's a pragmatic answer.

Your understanding of science seems fairly narrow. God is not mentioned in science because you cannot prove God, therefore God is not in a science book, but that does not mean God has to be removed. The reason you'll never find anyone who knows anything about science buy into the metaphor of a 6 day creation is that there is too much evidence to prove it wrong.

And the reason I say your "theory" is weak because you called it a compromise in order to "fit in". That's just arrogance. You are basically saying they are selling out their beliefs in order to fit in, that a real Christian would deny proof and stick with the literal belief of 6days...

That's just crap.

sorry mods about the off-topic, don't merge, will fix at the end

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Your understanding of science seems fairly narrow(.....)That's just crap.

Calm down, "theory", yeesh, it's just an opinion, that I am not alone in, arrogant as you may feel it is, theistic evolution is viewed by some Christians as a "sell-out" or a "cop-out." If you accept the literal 6 day creation, and yeah, I do, others do, than where does evolution fit in? It doesn't. It's irrelevant.

Where did you get your concept of time? What is time? What is a day? What is a year?

How old are you? 20-30 something years old, or 20-30 million years old.

If the Earth is over 100 million years old or whatever, that millions of years is based on what? The 24 hour day cycle?

Why do I believe in the 6 literal days, you and other people think stupid to believe? I bleeding live by it, every day of my life. My whole concept of "time" is based on the literal Biblical interpretation on what a "day" is. It's also based on the rotations of Earth. Stated in the Bible that the Earth rotates. That's what I base my concept of a day on. Many people agree on this concept of what a day is.

If I am to believe the word "day" is a metaphor for an undetermined amount of time, than what exactly is a day?

If a "day" can be a million years, how do I know that a millions years, is not a billion years? If I went on TV and claimed that I am 30 million years old, I would be laughed right off, why? Because it's been accepted that generally year is a based on 365, 24-hour days, based on Earth's rotations. With the exception of leap years.

Unless you live in a society that doesn't follow the 24 hours is a day, 7 days makes a week, 52 weeks makes a year, etc. There are cultures that are on a different calendar to "Western" societies, but I don't think you live in one.

The verse about 1 day to us is like 1000 days to God and vise-versa, is explaining an aspect about God, that God is not subjected to what we as humans know as "time." My calendar says that it is June 16, 2007. Imagine you could see everything that happened yesterday, today, 100 years ago, and 30 years from now, all at the same instance. That's what the verse is attempting to explain, we are subject to this concept known as time, but God is not.

You are arrogant to say "The reason you'll never find anyone who knows anything about science buy into the metaphor of a 6 day creation is that there is too much evidence to prove it wrong."

1. To claim it is metaphor. Not everyone believes it's a metaphor.

2. I got an A in high school and college level biology, I got an A in physical science, B in chemistry. I enjoyed my science classes, how amazing DNA is, how so many things work, photosynthesis, but I view it as proof of an intelligent powerful being who could create such things, but not via a process that happened slowly over millions of years. The faster it took to make the world, the more powerful a being. Yet the being isn't even bound by time, even more powerful.

What evidence, oh right, you were around when the world began, got it. You saw first hand just how life began. By faith I accept God created the world, as stated in the Bible, even though I didn't see it, nor know anyone who saw it. By faith, you believe it happened in some other way, even though you didn't see it or know someone who saw it.

Proof=visual right? Abraham Lincoln is real person, people saw him, they wrote about him, those stories of him got past down, but started by eyewitnesses. You can't possibly tell me there were eyewitnesses who saw a one-celled organism over millions of years become dinosaurs, horses, fish, insects, and humans.

This evidence, have you actually seen it for yourself, first hand? Not in a book, not in a video, with your own eyes, saw it? You must know of "missing link" fossils found, that were maybe 10% bone, and 90% artistic license. A pig's tooth was found as the only fossil to prove an alleged missing link one time. The spotted moths in England, only a change in number, and the moths were still moths, they didn't turn into birds. Some people actually glued moths to trees when it was later found that the moths actually try to hide in a tree branches and leaves.

Forget this, I wasted 2 hours of my life I will never get back reading a similar thread in Free Your Mind, I know the responses, know where the discussion will go, on both sides.

There's a 30 page thread on another forum on bass playing with a plectrum vs. fingers, now that's the kind of discussion, that will actually have some good come from it.

Sorry mods, I know my post had nothing to do with U2...will fix that. Don't merge it yet.

From a couple interviews I've read, it seems Adam does believe in God. Probably doesn't really think about, maybe accepts the notion God is behind the creation of life but the mechanics of how it happened, not really on his mind, as he has more music related things like when he will take a trip to Chicago to get his new gold Darryl Jones Lakeland bass with abelone blocks. Maybe he did pick it up...ooh new bass for a new album, sweet!

My guess is that Larry probably doesn't think about 6-day creation/theistic evolution discussion at all, he was raised Catholic, probably knows the basic gist of the creation story, but when it boils down to it, God is the creator of life. Leave the fighting to people who should focus on other things like writing letters to politicians so Bono can get back in the studio.

Right you are Larry.

Last edited:
Re: sorry mods about the off-topic, don't merge, will fix at the end

thrillme said:

arrogant as you may feel it is, theistic evolution is viewed by some Christians as a "sell-out" or a "cop-out."

Then I feel sorry for those Christians, I truly do.

thrillme said:

The verse about 1 day to us is like 1000 days to God and vise-versa, is explaining an aspect about God, that God is not subjected to what we as humans know as "time." My calendar says that it is June 16, 2007. Imagine you could see everything that happened yesterday, today, 100 years ago, and 30 years from now, all at the same instance. That's what the verse is attempting to explain, we are subject to this concept known as time, but God is not.

I think you have defeated your own argument right here. You yourself have state here that God is not subjected to what we as humans know as "time". Therefore why do you insist that the 6 day creation is literally 6 days as we define them?

Dana

thrillme said:

If I am to believe the word "day" is a metaphor for an undetermined amount of time, than what exactly is a day?

I understand your little rant, and get where you are coming from. I have grown up in a very conservative evangelical background. i just want to point out one small thing on this day "yom" thing in Genesis. Two ( Gleason Archer at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and Walter Kaiser at Gordon Conwell) of the most respected (in conservative evangelical circles) experts in the study of OT languages both think that days of Genesis are vast, unspecified periods of time, and are in no way required to be literal twenty-four hour days.

Just something to consider.

Irvine511 said:

nope. either the Bible is true, or you're wrong.

it was 7 days. full stop. Jesus rode around on dinosaurs. carbon dating is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on humanity.

If you are wrong about one thing in the Bible, does that mean you cannot be a Christian? That would be absurd! No one is 100% right about the Bible. That will be apparent, and unimportant, when we get to Heaven.

What did God say to Adam and Eve?
He said "Go, and REPLENISH the earth"!!!
Replenish means repopulate.
Meaning...there was a heck of alot more going on BEFORE the Adam and Eve moment.

^ :scratch: No...not sure which translation you're using, but the Hebrew there is just the verb for 'to fill'; it is a somewhat broader term than the English, and can also convey 'to fulfill' or 'to complete', but there's no 're-' concept associated with it.

Back
Top Bottom