30 Sec Clips of NLOTH!!!! DISCUSSION ONLY (Do not post download links!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm sorry, but Stand Up and Crazy sound like they're well below U2's pay grade. Hopefully the full songs give more.

Crazy seems like standard U2 to me. I'm with you about Stand Up, though. It sounds like cheeseball funk. The way he sings 'you gotta stand up'. I swear I've heard that before and not in a good place---lol. "Walk the Dinosaur" by Was (not Was) maybe. Ugh, I can't believe I just wrote that. I really need that Disney guy who heard the album to come by tell me what we're missing on that tune.

It's also quite possible, though, that there is more than one drumroll in the song. To me this sounds like it would fit towards the beginning, just before launching into the first chorus. Perhaps this clip is part of the song we didn't hear on the beach clip.

Its from the beginning of the song before it launches into the first verse. Its pretty much exactly the same as the beach clip. Can people not hear that?

Stand Up kind of let me down since I did hear the early reviews saying it sounded like Zep. Maybe there's more to the song than what we heard in the 30 second clip.

Stand Up kind of let me down since I did hear the early reviews saying it sounded like Zep. Maybe there's more to the song than what we heard in the 30 second clip.

Yeah u would hope so cos it sounds full of cheese on the 30sec clip. In fact by far the poorest of the 30sec clips in my opinion.

The atmosphere in COL reminds me of "Against the Sky" on the ambient Eno/Budd collaboration The Pearl.

I love that album, so awesome indeed :drool:

The drumming reminds me of something else that I can't put my finger on, but it sounds very cool. :hmm:

love the clips but how the hell does Stand Up sound like Led Zep? what the fuck was Fanning talking about? he said it was the one the stood out for him, but it's probably my least favorite. the title track sounds awesome...i was a bit worried about the punk rock comparisons at first

He compared it to Zeppelin? :| Christ.

Stand Up does sound like Zep - if they were locked away in a nursing home. Seriously, that 30-sec clip isn't dad rock; it's grandad rock.

I find it interesting that there is free criticism flying around about these clips. Early Interference reactions to Bomb were 98% positive, and we can see where it has ended up now. One of two principles could apply to that: either it was Bomb's instant-gratification value and lack of complexity that caused that, with NLOTH being the opposite, and NLOTH will be seen as being awesome down the road, or Bomb's perceived awesomeness was just Interference overreacting, and we are overreacting to NLOTH now... meaning that criticism will get worse, and the album will be seen as a total disaster in three years.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the former.

I'm putting out an APB for Walt Disney Please come and tell us Stand Up is not as bad as that clip suggests.

Do you need any special software to play this clips from the walmart site?? already tried to play them in two different laptops, one running Win 7 Beta and one running Win XP, and tried both firefox and IE but can't play them.

Well, I'm not more excited than I was neither I'm less excited. I really can't tell if 5:00 - 6:00 are good or not only hearing 30 seconds....
Anyway, I'm more excited by F-BB now, but I'm less exicted by STC...

Do you need any special software to play this clips from the walmart site?? already tried to play them in two different laptops, one running Win 7 Beta and one running Win XP, and tried both firefox and IE but can't play them.

I'm assuming just Flash... they've played fine for me on Mac OS X and Ubuntu (I have Win7 on this computer, too, but haven't played the clips on it).

Is anyone else completely overwhelmed by the first half of the snippets and completely underwhelmed by the last(bar FEZ)?

There were other people before saying the same thing. I don't feel that way. I'm actually excited to listen to Cedars and White As Snow cos they sound so different from the U2-by-numbers of Bomb. I'm in particular curious about Cedars cos it sounds a bit like Springsteen mixed in with a moody slow song from Pop!

I'm hungry for new U2, definitely. But, HTDAAB disappointed me at first listen. This, at least from the 30 second clips, is exactly what I was looking for from them. My only regret is i now have a glimpse of what the songs are before I hear them 100%. I WISH I COULD HAVE STAYED STRONG!!! :doh:

Is anyone else completely overwhelmed by the first half of the snippets and completely underwhelmed by the last(bar FEZ)?

White As Snow and Cedars I think will have a few Eno-esque twists to keep them interesting. Just a vibe I'm picking up. But I think Get on Your Boots, Stand Up Comedy and Breathe will be tracks I'll be skipping after a few listens. Of course, I remain optimistic...

I was hoping for more raw u2, this is just sounding so lame. I had such a shit day at work and this just made it worse. Maybe when im in a better mood i will like it more?

There were other people before saying the same thing. I don't feel that way. I'm actually excited to listen to Cedars and White As Snow cos they sound so different from the U2-by-numbers of Bomb. I'm in particular curious about Cedars cos it sounds a bit like Springsteen mixed in with a moody slow song from Pop!

Could this have anything to do with the Day song / Night song dichotomy (I think I read about this somewhere)?

I admit I don't understand FEZ. It sounds like let me in the sound from boots, then it goes into some other weird stuff for like 3 seconds that almost sounds like a tape recorder re-winding or something.

Nevermind. I thought FEZ-Being Born was the same song?! But I'm guessing FEZ is like a little interlude into Being Born?!

Could this have anything to do with the Day song / Night song dichotomy (I think I read about this somewhere)?

Isn't it supposed to be like sky and sea or whatever? So I guess the 2 sides of the album have different moods corresponding to that? I have no idea, lol.

I find it interesting that there is free criticism flying around about these clips. Early Interference reactions to Bomb were 98% positive, and we can see where it has ended up now. One of two principles could apply to that: either it was Bomb's instant-gratification value and lack of complexity that caused that, with NLOTH being the opposite, and NLOTH will be seen as being awesome down the road, or Bomb's perceived awesomeness was just Interference overreacting, and we are overreacting to NLOTH now... meaning that criticism will get worse, and the album will be seen as a total disaster in three years.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the former.

I will admit this freely; when I first listened to the clip of "No Line on the Horizon," it took every ounce of willpower within me not to type "HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK" over and over again. I took a moment to calm down and the result is, hopefully, a balanced first impression.

my review:

Some songs like No Line, Crazy Tonight, Stand Up remember me a AB Sessions (Salome vibes).......
Songs like Unknown Caller, Fez-Being Born remeber me Passengers style!
Magnificent and White as Snow.... JT on the veins!
Moment of Surrender and Cedars... Zooropa View!
Breathe and Boots.... totally 2000`s

I was hoping for more raw u2, this is just sounding so lame. I had such a shit day at work and this just made it worse. Maybe when im in a better mood i will like it more?

Honestly they're just snippets- do you think if you took a 30 sec snippet of the fly you would get a good first impression? Everything said in this thread is obviously very superficial- we just have to wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom