2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Netherlands are small, so there certainly won't be "some gigs".

And I don't see why it should be "U2's best market".

With concerts in Germany, Brussles, Paris and possibly Switzerland, I doubt there will be a show in Holland.

We in Austria didn't get a show in 2009 and had to go abroad to see the band. Now we get a show and it was sold out incredible fast, still no second show on the horizon. There will a lot of people from eastern and southern Europe at the show because these countries won't get a U2 show in 2010. The Netherlands got 2 shows in 2009. I see no reason to complain.

The Netherlands are small, so there certainly won't be "some gigs".

What? They've had at least 3 gigs a tour for the last 20 years, with the exception of Popmart. On ZooTV, they managed four stadium gigs!

Anybody who thinks U2 couldn't sell out another 2 or 3 gigs in the Netherlands doesn't know what they're talking about.

And I don't see why it should be "U2's best market".

Have you seen U2's chart figures, album sales, and concert attendance for the Netherlands? Presumably not, or you wouldn't have said something so silly.

Have you seen U2's chart figures, album sales, and concert attendance for the Netherlands? Presumably not, or you wouldn't have said something so silly.

No need to overreact. I just don't think it's fair for U2 to play more gigs in the Netherlands with a lot of other countries who missed out this year.

Italy would make more sense, IMO. It's a big country and they have only had the shows in Milan. The Italian audience is crazy for U2.

I'm surprised they don't have a gig or two in Rotterdam, as to avoid the hated Amsterdam ArenA.

No need to overreact. I just don't think it's fair for U2 to play more gigs in the Netherlands with a lot of other countries who missed out this year.

Italy would make more sense, IMO. It's a big country and they have only had the shows in Milan. The Italian audience is crazy for U2.
Well U2 tour for the money, and the Dutch crowd has spent the most on them the past 29 years.
It's no secret we have a special bond with U2 as we were the first Country they were 'big' in outside of the UK and Ireland. Their album sales here are insane, the ticket sales as well. Every concert U2 has given that I know of sold out within 1 or 2 hours, the U2 ticket sales were the reason a whole phone network died because so many people tried to order. That's an entire province without phone for a few hours.

Sorry to say, but Ax is not overreacting on this one. I really do not get it. Why give three more gigs in Germany when they don't sell too well? They could give 5 more gigs in holland that would sell faster than those German gigs! Not that I'm saying I want 5 more gigs here, I'm just saying it would be a better business discussion. At least have one gig here, perhaps two. Or one and add one to Brussels.

I'm surprised they don't have a gig or two in Rotterdam, as to avoid the hated Amsterdam ArenA.

As skidevil pointed out, there's a contract between Mojo and the ArenA. On the other hand the Feyenoord stadium isn't in great shape anymore. There's been tests at a different concert with a much calmer act and there were bad tremors. It's too old, and they're going to build a new one which should be done in 2015. Meanwhile, the ArenA's accoustics aren't that bad anymore, at least not in GA. Some seat sections are still horrible though.

Yeah, Boston won't get a show. 5% chance on Hartford but Montreal will def. get one. So, how badly do you wanna see them? Montreal is a FAR better crowd than Boston anyways. I saw them in Montreal a couple of times and Boston/Foxboro five times and Montreal beats the Boston crowd but a lot. Plus, it's a stadium tour and they did two Foxboro shows this year, one of which that didn't sell out

SMB

Tell me that is 50% for Hartford and not 5%:hmm:

Thu Jul 1 Minneapolis
Sat Jul 3 Green Bay
Tue Jul 6 Pittsburgh or Cleveland
Thu Jul 8 East Lansing or Detroit
Sat Jul 10 St Louis
Tue Jul 13 Miami
Tue Jul 20 Philadelphia
Sat Jul 24 East Rutherford
Sun Jul 25 East Rutherford

Are there enough potential dates on the West Coast to fill the entire month of June?

I'm thinking that likely list of June sites look like this:

San Diego
Los Angeles/Anaheim
San Francisco/Oakland
Oregon (likely Eugene)
Seattle
Denver
Salt Lake City
Edmonton

Any other places that should fit between Mexico City and Minneapolis?

Are there enough cities on the West Coast to fill the entire month of June?

I don't think those dates are THE dates anyway...like I was told that East Rutherford is a week earlier than those dates. Anyway, well, the month of June... Mexico City will be May 30 and most likely May 31 as well, so starting with June 4...could be San Diego, LA/OC area, Oakland, Portland, Seattle, Edmonton and/or Calgary, Denver...

I didn't want to offend the Dutch audience. I'm glad U2 is having a strong audience there. I agree about the German shows. Since both German shows this year didn't sell that fast AND they have a show in Vienna in 2010, too (a lot of Austrian fans were forced to go to Germany for the shows in 2009), I don't see why they are playing three shows there, it seems too much. On the other hand, I think that with three shows in Germany, one in Bruselles and one in Paris, it's highly unlikely that the Netherlands will get another show.

What I find so strange about my country is that, from a fan's perspective, it's not really a pro-U2 country, the media here is quite anti-U2 and when you listen to people's opinions or read them on several forums you get the impression that noone likes them. People are saying they would never go to a U2 show and won't buy their albums because they're crap. Still, when the concert tickets go on sale, they're gone so quickly and there is suddenly a obviously positive shift towards the band, people "outing" themselves to be fans and looking forward to the concert. So it's always surprising that this country seems to be a good market for U2 after all. I'm surprised they haven't announced a second show, but I guess with Munich getting a concert, it's also very unlikely.

Im starting to get a bit frustrated with all this now!! I myself would love to do cardiff and dublin again next year but i have no idea what to do!!! We are left in the dark!! I have missed presale on Seville and Germany and paris and brussels will be onsale very soon!! should i hold out or should i buy???? couldnt afford to do 4 gigs???? Can someone phone live nation tell them your bono and as then what dates they have provisionally earmarked for the uk lol!!!! if only!!!

Im starting to get a bit frustrated with all this now!! I myself would love to do cardiff and dublin again next year but i have no idea what to do!!! We are left in the dark!! I have missed presale on Seville and Germany and paris and brussels will be onsale very soon!! should i hold out or should i buy???? couldnt afford to do 4 gigs???? Can someone phone live nation tell them your bono and as then what dates they have provisionally earmarked for the uk lol!!!! if only!!!

I quite agree! It's one thing to announce the tour schedule and then add second dates at the same venues, quite another thing altogether to announce the actual venues very sporadically. Unfortunately yet another example of too much power in the hands of big corporates. I really really hope the proposed Ticketmaster/Live Nation merger gets blocked for precisely this type of reason - monopolistic big corporates looking after shareholders and screwing everyone else.

I know some defenders of this set-up would argue that without Live Nation/Blackberry etc. we would not have the claw. Well I'm not even sure that would be such a bad thing. I would be happy to watch U2 play with a traditional stage set up if it would mean more flexibility in set-list and, more particularly, in venue. They could go to all those places they've never been before without worrying about it costing a gazillion dollars a day to keep it on the road.

alas there are not even any rumours of UK/Ireland shows for 2010- so rather looks like we're not worthy of their prescence next year (or LN think it's too expensive to come over here)

I'll be using my pre-sale code for Paris tomorrow. There were no problems getting even Dublin tickets in general sale this year

No coming back to chicago?

What is the nearest city from chicago? =\

I think return engagements are going to be very limited next leg, although I guess Chicago is probably the only other possible one outside of NY/NJ and LA/OC. I think more likely would be shows in other cities near Chicago, like in Wisconsin and/or Indiana.

Are there enough potential dates on the West Coast to fill the entire month of June?

I'm thinking that likely list of June sites look like this:

San Diego
Los Angeles/Anaheim
San Francisco/Oakland
Oregon (likely Eugene)
Seattle
Denver
Salt Lake City
Edmonton

Any other places that should fit between Mexico City and Minneapolis?

Wouldn't be surprised at a Texas date in Austin or San Antonio, perhaps even before San Diego but more likely after Denver.

alas there are not even any rumours of UK/Ireland

No rumours then? Darn, gonna have to use my presale code for Paris. Anyone know what GA or pitch is in French! Don't want to buy seats!

Do you reckon they might be holding out dates for Ireland or Cardiff so most use their presale codes before? one can hope but I know live nation wouldn't take that into consideration.

Can't see the football season as a reason, as they're are plenty of other places that can host a concert like Roundhay, Twickenham, Millenium Stadium, Lancashire Cricket Ground, Wembley, Hampden.

i hope they come - imagine a world cup summer topped off with some Autumn U2 shows. jsut pure indulgence :hyper:

Via the Independent, who caught up with Larry outside of the Gavin birthday gig in Manhattan...

"I ask if it's true that the band will be rounding off the phenomenal success of their 360° tour in their home country. "I'd like to finish it in Ireland . . . Personally I would love to play in Belfast. I don't know if we'll be able to achieve it but there have been talks."

Any particular time-frame in mind? "Maybe September," he says with a knowing smile.

for the entire article...
My Fairytale of New York was about to end until Shane MacGowan rescued me - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

No rumours then? Darn, gonna have to use my presale code for Paris. Anyone know what GA or pitch is in French! Don't want to buy seats!

Do you reckon they might be holding out dates for Ireland or Cardiff so most use their presale codes before? one can hope but I know live nation wouldn't take that into consideration.

Can't see the football season as a reason, as they're are plenty of other places that can host a concert like Roundhay, Twickenham, Millenium Stadium, Lancashire Cricket Ground, Wembley, Hampden.

i hope they come - imagine a world cup summer topped off with some Autumn U2 shows. jsut pure indulgence :hyper:

I doubt that EVil Nation gives a shit about fans with pre-sale codes- as long people buy tickets they don't care who it is

my brother usually picks up any rumours on tour dates from his various sources, but nothing this time- I'm pretty sure LN's excuse will be financial- they didn't sell 2 shows at Wembley this year, the third show in Dublin took ages to sell out (and all the aggro with the locals)- plus it's easier to keep it all in mainland Europe rather than come over here

if they're going to do outdoor shows over here the best time is August/September- October can be wet & cold- looking at the dates thus far- there aren't any real gaps anywhere for UK shows- I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong- I had a brilliant time on the tour this year and really want to do it all over again next year

If they do a second show in Brussels, then the Netherlands will definitely miss out.

It'll be quite possibly the most baffling U2 tour schedule decision ever, and that's saying something. Even with soccer schedules being what they are, it's the fucking Netherlands! Possibly U2's best market. You'd think they'd work out a way to make some gigs happen.

They still could schedule a Dutch show, eventhough the football season has started..... ...Best spot would be the Gelredome in Arnhem (they played tree elevation shows there).... advantage of the Gelredome is that the football pitch can be removed from the stadium... For the past years, concerts have been organised at the Gelredome frequently during the football season..... ....the contract issue with the Amsterdam Arena is not relevant here. The Gelredome is in the Eastern part of Holland and all big shows organised there were organised by the same Agency that has the contract with the Amsterdam Arena.

....only one question is of importance; will the Claw fit under the roof??

...I would U2 suggest to book the Gelredome for Friday 24 September; two days after Brussels and 5 days before Sevilla...... Logistically it shouldn't be much of a problem...... Capacity of the Gelredom in 360 would be about 42.000.

I bet one show in the Gelredome would sell out within 10 minutes....... ....still have a presale code unused.... :drool:

ps. just checked the sizes of the Gelredome.. It's 42 metres high with a closed roof...... wouldn't work out I guess

Last edited:

It has nothing to do with fairness. There's just no location available for 360 Tour in the Netherlands and they try 'to solve' the omission with playing gigs relatively close to The Netherlands. There are excellent options to see U2 in 2010 for Dutch people with Brussels, Paris and Hannover/Frankfurt all very close if you look at the European map from a broader perspective. In that way I agree with you: no need to complain about the omission of Dutch gigs. Personally I'd rather spend a bit more money and time to see U2 play in Stade de France than in Amsterdam Arena. So actually as a Dutchie myself I'm pretty happy they play in Paris rather than Amsterdam! :up:

I'll be using my pre-sale code for Paris tomorrow. There were no problems getting even Dublin tickets in general sale this year

Have you used ticketnet.fr before?....

Nothing is ever straighforward for a U2 sale!

Pelouse.

And there's a rumour now that U2 are actually looking into playing Holland in August. :hyper:

Ack, I won't have a presale code left!

Via the Independent, who caught up with Larry outside of the Gavin birthday gig in Manhattan...

"I ask if it's true that the band will be rounding off the phenomenal success of their 360° tour in their home country. "I'd like to finish it in Ireland . . . Personally I would love to play in Belfast. I don't know if we'll be able to achieve it but there have been talks."

Any particular time-frame in mind? "Maybe September," he says with a knowing smile.

for the entire article...
My Fairytale of New York was about to end until Shane MacGowan rescued me - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

Can't believe nobody else has commented on this yet. Also good to see that Larry at least still remembers that Belfast exists! Come on guys, talk to whoever you have to in order to make this happen! Play in a big open field if needs be - if you can play at a Swiss airfield next year then anything's surely possible.

Foxboro, MA again in July 2010?

I just received an email from Gillette Stadium asking me to take a survey about the concerts in Foxboro last month. One of the questions was "If U2 returned to Gillette Stadium in July 2010 would you purchase tickets?".

I looked but could not find any mention of this elsewhere - looks like they may be back at Gillette though next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom