(09-14-2006) U2 Can Walk Across Abbey Road, Bono -- Daily Mail*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Can Walk Across Abbey Road, Bono

It is the iconic shot for the album Abbey Road which has been copied by thousands of Beatles fans. But this time, the fans re-enacting the famous walk outside the Abbey Road studios can say they know a bit about music themselves.

Bono and U2 were joined by American rockers Green Day for a photo opportunity while the two bands recorded a duet together. And on hand to catch the moment on video was Bob Geldof, who was filming proceedings in the studio.

The studio was the birthplace to most of the Beatles records, and countless other classic albums from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to Radiohead's Kid A.

According to U2's website the two bands will re-record a version of The Skids' 1978 post-punk classic The Saints Are Coming.

The track should be featured on the album which the Irish supergroup have been recording at the famous studios during the past week.

Daily Mail[/b]

dsmith2904 said:

The track should be featured on the album which the Irish supergroup have been recording at the famous studios during the past week.
Daily Mail
[/B]

No way it would be featured on the album. No. Way.

No bloody way. If they put that song on a U2 album I will have lost all faith in my favourite band. As a matter of fact, if U2 do any punk, pseudo-punk bollocks on any album of theirs I will disown them full stop.

any punk, disown them?
what are you freakin' batty?
They are a PUNK ROCK band from day friggin' one!!
Take out Boy or October and slam right into war-
and give a listen mate-

Gloria?
Shadows and tall Trees?
Threw a Brick?

now some modern U2 punk:
Mofo?
Miami?
New York?
Vertigo?
Fast Cars?

Any pure U2 fan wants experiments...hello Achtung!

and the whole Green Day is not about punk it's about todays mainstream rock, so if we lost ya' Zoo and Slip...oh well!!

Slipstream said:
No bloody way. If they put that song on a U2 album I will have lost all faith in my favourite band. As a matter of fact, if U2 do any punk, pseudo-punk bollocks on any album of theirs I will disown them full stop.

They are not putting on the album....it is going to be released as a benefit single for Music Rising.And U2 and GD are going to play the song on Monday Night Football(American Football) Sept 25th

Jono said:
any punk, disown them?
what are you freakin' batty?
They are a PUNK ROCK band from day friggin' one!!
Take out Boy or October and slam right into war-
and give a listen mate-

Gloria?
Shadows and tall Trees?
Threw a Brick?

now some modern U2 punk:
Mofo?
Miami?
New York?
Vertigo?
Fast Cars?

Any pure U2 fan wants experiments...hello Achtung!

and the whole Green Day is not about punk it's about todays mainstream rock, so if we lost ya' Zoo and Slip...oh well!!

They may have been punk, if you can call it that, in the early days but they sure the hell aren't now. And I have listened to those early albums, I'm old enough that's for sure, and frankly I don't like much of it. Just my personal opinion.
What gets me, is some U2 fans that feel it's so important for other fans to like U2's earlier music and if you don't then there is something wrong with you or they want to debate with your opinion. Hell I'm all for experiments, anything really, I just don't care for punk...I think it's sh*te. And don't give us this whole crap, " so if we lost ya' Zoo and Slip...oh well!!"...bollicks.
Just 'cause we don't like a possible punk direction of U2 or them putting a punk duet with Green Day or whatever on a new album does not mean we are not fans of U2 or will appreciate their earlier music. I just won't buy or enjoy the album and feel they should have went in a different musical direction. Hence our personal opinion of which we are fully entitled.

It's all really hypothetical isn't it? This is why I used the word "if".

There's a tourist video on YouTube of U2 and Green Day walking across Abbey Road for a photo shoot. It's pretty cool. And - PLEBA alert priority one - Larry appears to have cut his hair.

*goes to PLEBA*

yes it is hypothetical and i meant no disrespect-
however in your hypo you mentioned that if the if came true you would "disown them full stop!"
so i guess it's not ok to experiment...'er...confused then i am...

Slipstream said:

They may have been punk, if you can call it that, in the early days but they sure the hell aren't now. And I have listened to those early albums, I'm old enough that's for sure, and frankly I don't like much of it. Just my personal opinion.
What gets me, is some U2 fans that feel it's so important for other fans to like U2's earlier music and if you don't then there is something wrong with you or they want to debate with your opinion. Hell I'm all for experiments, anything really, I just don't care for punk...I think it's sh*te. And don't give us this whole crap, " so if we lost ya' Zoo and Slip...oh well!!"...bollicks.
Just 'cause we don't like a possible punk direction of U2 or them putting a punk duet with Green Day or whatever on a new album does not mean we are not fans of U2 or will appreciate their earlier music. I just won't buy or enjoy the album and feel they should have went in a different musical direction. Hence our personal opinion of which we are fully entitled.

It's all really hypothetical isn't it? This is why I used the word "if".

You make me chuckle! How about this; (and Bono has said it many times, check the Boston dvd before they play In A Little While) if it were not for the early punk in the seventies u2 wouldn't have excisted. Punk rock music was highly influential for them. and i agree with Jono's list of songs. until this day you can hear that influence in their music. also, it wasn't but 4 years ago that Bono had this to say @ the 2002 Grammy's ; "This is a punk rock band and we're hearing mad tunes in our heads that are gospel and folk and psychedelic."

i guess that means you have instantly lost all respect for your favorite band. and an angel gets their wings. lovley.

Oh, come on. They have a right to experiment as much as they want. Punk, hip-hop, blues, funk, it's all fine with me. If I decide I don't like it, I'll just skip by that cut.

Same for their collaboration with Green Day. As much as a song, it is a lovely gesture to Music Rising and the people of New Orleans. If that means MR gets a cut of the royalties off the album, so much the better.

Jeez everybody calm down. The Daily Mail are just throwing in an off-hand comment about the fact that u2 are recording. They wouldn't be my paper for accurate news on u2 on whats going on with their album, and as silvrlvr said they have the right to experiment, you never know you could be pleasently suprised.....

Back
Top Bottom