(09-06-2005) From the Rumor Mill: U2 and Katrina - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
From the Rumor Mill: U2 and Katrina

We know you don't like rumors. And well, we try our best to post rumors that are interesting, relevant and newsworthy. This one, courtesy of our forums, is no different.

"There is a rumour circulating at Universal Canada that U2 will open up a rehearsal in Toronto next weekend for the relief effort....cover charge for cash and a food drive. Someone in mid-management at the venue said it will be Sunday, September 11 @ 2 pm."

Sounds like a noble effort if it turns out to be true.

Thanks to AliEnvy!

I KNEW the boys would pull through and do something related to the Katrina disaster relief efforts. And I imagine this will only be the beginning!

Hopefully this will stop all the haranguing of U2 to "do something" about Katrina. :ohmy:

toronto?!?! how about they play somewhere near here not only for us involved with this thing, but also to make up for neglecting us in the first place. U2, PLAY SOMEWHERE NEAR THE COAST, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, i live right in the thick of everything as i live three blocks from the beach, houses around me are destroyed most are severely damaged, trash everywhere, no commerce, no jobs. im not just milking this katrina thing, im part of it. this is the first time ive been able to get online so forgive me if im not caught up with whatever ive missed in the past week.

t8thgr8 said:
toronto?!?! how about they play somewhere near here not only for us involved with this thing, but also to make up for neglecting us in the first place. U2, PLAY SOMEWHERE NEAR THE COAST, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you are in the affected areas t8thgr8, and also glad to hear you are safe and with us.

In U2's defense however, they have been rehearsing in Toronto, so them doing this rumored event in TO makes sense. :shrug: Sorry, that's all I got.

t8thgr8 said:
by the way, i live right in the thick of everything as i live three blocks from the beach, houses around me are destroyed most are severely damaged, trash everywhere, no commerce, no jobs. im not just milking this katrina thing, im part of it. this is the first time ive been able to get online so forgive me if im not caught up with whatever ive missed in the past week.

:hug: sorry :( to hear of your travails.

t8thgr8 said:

Need any help?? Anything we can help you with?

:hug:

We need to carry each other.

t8thgr8 said:

I'm somewhat in the thick of things too, maybe not as close as you, I guess? (don't know where you are on the coast)
There is NO!where for them to play, any longer. Not Biloxi, Gulfport or New Orleans and forget Florida there's a storm trying to build up as we speak. or Alabama which hasn't seen U2 since the early 90's anyway. Even though my city didn't get it head on.. It would wreak havoc on the traffic and emergency management officials and the locals who are just trying to get around with gas lines and to what jobs are left.
I have friends and co-workers in south Alabama I haven't seen or talked to since last week.
I feel your pain, believe me...:heart:

*:hug:s to those of you who are in or near the devastation* I'm so sorry, guys. But like wizard2c said, feel free to let us know if there's anything you need. We'll be more than happy to help you out.

And yeah, I'm with Sue, there'd be a bunch of hassle with U2 going to that area right now. Besides, with everyone so busy cleaning up, very few people, if any, would come, and there wouldn't be much donation going on. But who knows, maybe the guys will find a way to head down near there anyway.

Originally posted by sue4u2
and forget Florida there's a storm trying to build up as we speak

Yeah, I heard about that today-already tropical storm warnings up, I believe, on the east coast of Florida :tsk:. Geez, any chance the southeastern U.S. could catch a break anytime soon? This is ridiculous.

Angela

:) you guys made me smile, no im alright. thanks so much but we have plenty of help. my house, fortunately, is fine. we seem to have 'others' watching our backs, so our house was spared. wreckage seemed to stop at our front door as houses around us were flooded. but its the surrounding community that was affected. all normalcy is gone, replaced with surrealism, trash and tanks toting ak47s. so apparently were the victim and the problem. i dont get it. its not enough to be surrounded in wreckage, we need the army here pacing around with weapons, truckin thru our yards with hummers, two prop helicopters choppin by, and strict 10 oclock curfew. why? everything was just fine a week and a half ago.

anyway, id really love to see u2 for the first time and all i need is for them to come around. its not really the easiest thing to get out of here and travel right now. highways are closed off, curfews limit our plans, mile long gas lines wrapped around 2 or 3 blocks and the high prices really dont allow for any escape.

t8thgr8 said:
:) you guys made me smile, no im alright. thanks so much but we have plenty of help. my house, fortunately, is fine. we seem to have 'others' watching our backs, so our house was spared.

That's good :up: :).

Originally posted by t8thgr8
wreckage seemed to stop at our front door as houses around us were flooded. but its the surrounding community that was affected. all normalcy is gone, replaced with surrealism, trash and tanks toting ak47s. so apparently were the victim and the problem. i dont get it. its not enough to be surrounded in wreckage, we need the army here pacing around with weapons, truckin thru our yards with hummers, two prop helicopters choppin by, and strict 10 oclock curfew. why? everything was just fine a week and a half ago.

Freaky stuff. The pictures just seem bizarre to me on the news, I can't even begin to imagine what it's looking like for those of you who are in that area. Very sad to hear of the problems going on in the area...hopefully those people will get more and more help. And our offer still stands, if not for you specifically, then for them, if you have neighbors or whatever who need something, let us know and we'll see what, if anything, we can do.

Originally posted by t8thgr8
anyway, id really love to see u2 for the first time and all i need is for them to come around. its not really the easiest thing to get out of here and travel right now. highways are closed off, curfews limit our plans, mile long gas lines wrapped around 2 or 3 blocks and the high prices really dont allow for any escape.

Wow. Yeah, that would definitely make things a hassle for the guys.

I understand about wanting to see U2, though-I have yet to see them live as well, so we're in the same situation there. Hopefully you'll get your chance someday :hug: :).

Angela

they played sarajevo.......

anyway, they could play in Hattiesburg, MS. The 'hub city'. its 2 hrs from new orleans, 2 1/2 hrs from baton rouge, 1 hr from the mississippi gulf coast, 1 hr 1/2 from mobile, and so on. its a college twon, they could play at the stadium, or somewhere bigger. hattiesburg could handle it im sure.

im in ocean springs, btw. right next door to biloxi. same beach pretty much.

im not saying they half to come right now, just maybe b4 the damned tour ends atleast. somewhere between the atlanta and houston shows perhaps.

t8thgr8 said:
they played sarajevo.......

anyway, they could play in Hattiesburg, MS. The 'hub city'. its 2 hrs from new orleans, 2 1/2 hrs from baton rouge, 1 hr from the mississippi gulf coast, 1 hr 1/2 from mobile, and so on. its a college twon, they could play at the stadium, or somewhere bigger. hattiesburg could handle it im sure.

im in ocean springs, btw. right next door to biloxi. same beach pretty much.

im not saying they half to come right now, just maybe b4 the damned tour ends atleast. somewhere between the atlanta and houston shows perhaps.

First I have to say I am soooo sorry about the Katrina devastation and my heart bleeds for all of its victims. I am especially sorry to those here on the boards who are in the thick of things, grateful you have your lives and can re-build. You will. My family across the US has made monetary donations to the Red Cross and various pet and veterinary organizations for relief efforts. We will continue to do what we can.

Meanwhile, as far as U2 goes....I am so pleased to hear the band has spoken, I KNEW they would do something and I have a feeling it will continue throughout the 3rd leg here in North America. I'd like to see money, food and clothing drives at each venue and hear Bono dedicate songs to the Katrina victims. It doesn't hurt to speak up. I'd begin an email campaign to invite the band to somewhere safe near where the devastation hit. Contact Principle Management offices.....one in NY, the other in Dublin. One never knows....have a little faith and ask, ye may receive.

Bless you all,
Karen
San Diego

Hey, you guys, who says the band needs an arena to put on a show?:wink: I'm sure a large park under a bridge would be fine:). Just checking the tour dates and the band is not coming to the Southeastrn area until November, fortunately. By then things should be cleaned up a _little_ in the surrounding areas etc, and most of the power in most of the areas restored, I mean, in the surviving towns etc. though yes, gas may likely be scarce. Remember, we are subsisting partly on Strategic Oil Reserves right now, that's why the prices haven't shot up to $4 a gallon. Yet. (They need to get those rigs going again, PRONTO.) I see a 3-day gap between California and Miami, and then a day gap between that and Tampa, which is as close to the affected areas as they'll likely get. (You can be sure they'll want a helicopter tour anyway...). I don't see why the guys can't just announce a surprise "free show" in say, Baton Rouge and Mobile, in a stunt similar to the Brooklyn Bridge show last yr. With the success they had with that event, I'm sure they could try to pull something like that off down in yr neck of the woods. The band have deep ties to the area....they played the Gulf Coast a lot in the pre-JT years, including NOLA in 1982. (God, looking at the New Orleans pics from Anton Corbjin's book gives me the willies now....:( ) Since they haven't played down there for a while, I don't think the cops in the area would necessarily be afriad of 10,000 people in the street..but you never know:).

Let's just wait and see. You know the boys, they'll try to find any excuse to get as close as possible to the people in something like this. Yes, they played Sarjevo, and they played NYC 6 weeks after 9/11. Have faith, and to allyou guys in the affected areas, :heart: :hug: and God bless.

We have a thread I started in the Free Your Mind Section ("Ugh! Hurricanes!" )--which sometimes doesn't pop up onscreen unless you are logged in and hit "Forums-- where several other people who also have been affected are posting. It is filled with some pretty grim stories from the media also though, so enter only if you really want to.

PS...just found the FYM link at the bottom of this page, for those of you who haven't been to that area yet)

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:

Meanwhile, as far as U2 goes....I am so pleased to hear the band has spoken,...

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the band has not said anything regarding this. It's still an unconfirmed rumor at this point, isn't it?

That being said, I think it's a great idea and it would be nice if it happened.

U2dork said:

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the band has not said anything regarding this. It's still an unconfirmed rumor at this point, isn't it?

That being said, I think it's a great idea and it would be nice if it happened.

From where the rumor came I put my money on it....I believe it's as good as the band speaking. Just wait and see........and yes it is a great idea.

I think it's pitiful how silent the band has been on this tragedy and the London bombings, especially considering the close ties the group feels to both affected areas. It would be nice it U2 did participate in a Katrina fundraiser, but why no mention on U2.com? How difficult would it be for U2.com to link to the Red Cross or Network for Good? What about just putting a, "You're in our thoughts" mention somewhere on the site? That the band's remained officially silent on these two huge catastrophes makes me sad.

The band will speak of it on the tour and they dedicated Miss Sarajevo to the London events. (and Egypt)

Didn't the One campaign site urge people to donate? that's pretty close to the band...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom