(07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meriddle said:
Maybe in the 80's U2 wouldn't have done something like the ipods. They probably wouldn't sell their music by each song. Since they own the rights to their songs, they can do whatever they want with them. I don't mind hearing the songs on commercials for ipods, world cup soccer, etc, because they approved it. And they don't need the money to sell them on every product. When I hear some song being used for a car commercial, I think that person/group needs some money.

Flea has said he didn't like the idea of selling music on itunes, but yet they are there. There are other artists who don't sell on itunes. If they aren't for itunes then they shouldn't be on there. To me that's selling out.

In the 80's, U2 wouldn't have done something like an iPod commercial because they didn't HAVE to do an iPod commercial. Back then, bands - MANY BANDS - would get played on the radio (rock/pop stations). One could hear early rap. One could hear pop. One could hear music from a pseudo drag queen. One could hear alternative music. One could hear old punk. One could hear heavier rock. It was a wild mix and all had room - from classic artists to new artists. And they all worked well. One could have a Peter Gabriel or Don Henley song right next to Debbie Gibson. One could hear Quiet Riot after Culture Club. One could hear Blondie before Motely Crue. One could hear U2 after Micheal Jackson. One could hear REM then Madonna. One could hear Tiffany before INXS. MTV played videos from those artists. Radio played music from those artists. Hence, the need to advertise via TV was minimal. So, sometimes the notion of doing commercials was equivalent to "selling out".

But the world has changed vastly in 20 years. MTV and videos? I don't think so. Even the few videos they show are carefully selected. And rock/pop radio is even worse. They seem to latch onto an artist and play them to death. Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" is a fun song - and I might've really liked it if I hadn't heard it every single time I happened to turn on the radio. Radio advertises "mix", but there really isn't any. Big pop/rock stations select from a very narrow list. If an artist isn't on there, there's no chance of breaking through.

Sadly, this includes past artists who have enjoyed tremendous success, like Sting. Around 2000, Sting did a Jaguar commercial which became a huge hit. This, in turn, helped make "Desert Rose", the song featured both in the commercial and his new album, a huge hit. This in turn made Sting's new album a huge hit. But why would Sting, a man who's enjoyed plenty of hits as part of the Police and as a solo artist, need to do this? Because radio wasn't playing his music. Turns out, radio was wrong - what a surprise! People wanted to hear this. But they didn't even know it was out there.

Sadly, this is what U2 is up against now. U2 members are in their mid-40's. The group has been around for 25+ years. Radio doesn't think they are hip any more, despite hit songs, sold out tours and multi-platinum albums. Despite awards and better sales than many of the "hot" artists radio and MTV promote, U2 has to keep fighting to get heard. For example, look at the almost non-existence of U2 on the radio after "Vertigo". Some rock stations would play follow-up songs, but the lack of radio play left these songs floundering. Despite a big hit album and big hit song, U2's subsequent singles were inexplicably left stranded by radio.

So U2 found the one way they could break through with dignity and class. Yes, they were in a commercial. But the iPod was still growing in 2004. U2 wanted to be part of that forward thinking. People were downloading songs. That is a part of life. Why not make a legal way for them to download the song? Why not make money from those downloads? Why not advertise your new album, while showing people that there is a LEGAL alternative to downloading. Why not advertise yourself while showing people a new way to listen to music? And, refuse to take money for this as a sign of your integrity. It's smart all the way around.

If Flea is really resistant to iTunes, then he's no better than a guy stuck on 8-tracks when CD's came out. Even though CD's are thin, small and transportable, they can only hold so much music. iPods hold tons and give a great variety. These mp3 players, whether they be iPods or another brand, are here to stay. And labels and music artists have to adjust to this and learn to love it. My iPod holds country, classical music, remixes, rock, pop and even old 50's tunes. I have Sinatra and Beethoven! I have oceans of U2, but I even have Beatles' remixes! It's this variety that I love. And it's all on one small iPod, not 500 CD's! And the portability is huge. I can hear all this music at home, in my car, or at work - and not lug around CD's.

So U2's move was to the future. Yes, "Vertigo" was initially associated with the iPod commercial. But after the tour and release of the album, I no longer feel that's true. The commercial has long since stopped playing. When I hear "Vertigo", I think of the album and mostly the tour - not iPod. Commercials are fleeting. But even if others do think of the iPod, is that really so bad? It's like doing a commercial for a music store. One is simply advertising one's music. And reqally, isn't that the purpose of radio and MTV? Years ago, people would remember a song for its great video. Sadly, now, we might remember it for its commercial!

Maybe the Chili Peppers don't yet need the help of commercials to sell music. Although, even that statement is a bit questionable given some of their prior appearances on TV and movies. But, it's clear to me that U2 does need this extra boost. I would contend that HTDAAB would have sold maybe only half of what it did in the U.S. without that commercial. The die-hards would have bought it along with those happy who loved the music from the tour. But that's it. Look at "Pop". U2 had to promote the heck out of ATYCLB to get it to 4M in U.S. sales. And each U2 appearance on TV worked. The same was true for HTDAAB.

It's sad - it really is. So much great music, and not just U2, is being overlooked. Sometimes I hear about new artists in Best Buy, of all places, because they will play a song from a new artist and advertise it. Is that selling out too? But if radio or MTV won't play this artist, Best Buy becomes the last alternative! And if I'm resorting to a random walk through in a Best Buy to hear a new song from a new artist, then that's pretty bad!

So sorry Chili Peppers, but I disagree. And I have a feeling it won't be long before you are also "selling out" just to get your music heard. Look at the artists doing these iPod commercials - from small to big. All of whom are just trying to advertise their music. Commercials have essentially become the new MTV. What radio did for artists in the 50's-70's, MTV did for artists in the 80's and 90's. Now, with the essential collapse of radio and MTV to select songs, commercials have replaced both. I've actually heard new and better songs on TV than I have on radio or MTV. Trust me, it won't be long before the Chili Peppers find themselves doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Red hot chili peppers have/will have an Ipod of their own don't they? :hmm:

Last edited:
Re: Re: (07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yahoo!*

AtomicBono said:

:huh: wh-wh-whaaa?

I don't think his comments are that big of a deal, and personally I don't give a shit what he thinks, I still think RHCP are great :shrug: a lot of people don't realize that U2 didn't take money for the iPod ad and that it was essentially self-promotion, not "here, buy this unrelated product." I mean, the commercial was basically saying "yo, buy Vertigo on iTunes." how is that selling out? :scratch:

Followed by the *gasp* U2 Ipod. Imagine that, U2 promoting their own song and their own albums!

The band pushed their music into the digital era and embraced the new technology (they were talking about getting their music across to the listener in the digital shape and skippping the label back in the U2 At the end of the world book).

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, dammit!!! u2 can whore themselves out as often as they want - cause THEY have artistic integrity!!!

there's NOTHING ironic about that, guys!!!

u2 are the kings of substance!!!!

what a 7oke.

hey guys, remember when u2 used to be about music and stuff and not advertisements or bono repeating the same 3 catch phrases re: world poverty over and over again?

yeah, that was kind of nice.

hahaha, and yet you say the same criticisms about U2 over and over and over!

(I like ya bud but it's true!! :) )

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:
I'm sure Chad also thinks that all 80,000 fans in their 2001 Slane DVD were there strictly to see RHCP perform.

Correction, the RHCP Slane DVD was filmed in 2002 (IIRC). And so yes, I do think that the majority -if not all- of those 80,000 were there to see RHCP perform.

The red hot chilli peppers rock, of that there is no doubt. They are also more prolific than U2 are at the moment. Chad has the right to say what he wants, rock on Chilli peppers!

U2 are of course sensational still in my mind, I just love the chillis. The point is that they don't need to do the advertisements like U2 need to to get to the audience...

yertle-the-turtle said:
Oh look one member of RHCP just said something negative (THAT'S NEGATIVE, FOLKS! NEGATIVE!) about U2, I'm gonna hate RHCP now.

Jeez.

this is my point entirely.

doctorwho said:

<snip>...But the world has changed vastly in 20 years. MTV and videos? I don't think so. Even the few videos they show are carefully selected. And rock/pop radio is even worse. They seem to latch onto an artist and play them to death...

Radio doesn't think they are hip any more, despite hit songs, sold out tours and multi-platinum albums. Despite awards and better sales than many of the "hot" artists radio and MTV promote, U2 has to keep fighting to get heard...So U2 found the one way they could break through with dignity and class. Yes, they were in a commercial. But the iPod was still growing in 2004. U2 wanted to be part of that forward thinking. People were downloading songs. That is a part of life. Why not make a legal way for them to download the song? Why not make money from those downloads? Why not advertise your new album, while showing people that there is a LEGAL alternative to downloading. Why not advertise yourself while showing people a new way to listen to music? And, refuse to take money for this as a sign of your integrity. It's smart all the way around.

It's sad - it really is. So much great music, and not just U2, is being overlooked. Sometimes I hear about new artists in Best Buy, of all places, because they will play a song from a new artist and advertise it. Is that selling out too? But if radio or MTV won't play this artist, Best Buy becomes the last alternative! And if I'm resorting to a random walk through in a Best Buy to hear a new song from a new artist, then that's pretty bad!

...Trust me, it won't be long before the Chili Peppers find themselves doing the same thing.

:bow: Amen to everything said above.

I've had the same experience re: Best Buy, only it was Barnes and Noble. Song after song from the same CD was played on the store's sound system as I browsed the discount section. After hearing a third song I loved, I walked straight back to the music department and purchased "The Magic Numbers."

Doctor Who is absolutely right. I was initially a little skeptical about the iPod commercial but I came to understand the marketing rationale, and also have ceased to connect the song with the commercial by now.

Methinks Chad is top of the list for an invitation to Eric Clapton's Bitter Old Rockers' Home.

:wink:

matt76 said:
The red hot chilli peppers rock, of that there is no doubt. They are also more prolific than U2 are at the moment. Chad has the right to say what he wants, rock on Chilli peppers!

U2 are of course sensational still in my mind, I just love the chillis. The point is that they don't need to do the advertisements like U2 need to to get to the audience...

The Chilli Peppers are no where near U2 when it comes to global concert drawing power and album sales of the latest tour and album. HTDAAB sold over 6.5 million copies in its first 8 weeks of release, while the Chilli Peppers have only sold 3.3 million copies of its new album in its first 8 weeks of release.

The Chilli Peppers have failed to sellout many of their arena shows, despite the fact that their tickets only cost an average of $60 dollars and they don't attempt to sell seats behind the stage. U2 in contrast soldout all of its Vertigo Tour shows in minutes or hours and currently has the highest grossing tour of all time.

U2 did not do an I-Pod commercial for ATYCLB but the album sold over 12 million copies an the tour was one of the highest grossing tours of all time as well.

The Chilli Peppers are not comparable to U2 in this arena. A better comparison would be the Chilli Peppers vs. Coldplay.

I don't see the need to ridicule Chad for an opinion he had at a given moment. Life would be pretty boring if we agreed with each other about everything.

U2FanPeter said:

U2 actually edit themselves when sequencing an album.

u2fp

Stadium Arcadium is a stupendously better album than HTDAAB in my opinion. On the Live circuit, U2 rule the roost - but chilis these days are far more popular with today's youth.

In regard to the earlier comment about naming all members i would stake my mortgage on it that more people could name all the chilis than name all of U2...for some reason casual fans never seem to remember Larry Mullen Jnr :wink:

Mentioning U2 in a negative way is just all the rage these days for other musicians, I am done letting it bother me.

The way I look at it, U2 is so big at this point that they ARE a corporation in and of themselves. They're a global marketing property that has only to "go public", (if they haven't already and I missed it LOL).

My point is, to keep your property fresh, things like the iPod commercial are good business.

U2 would have been idiots not to do it.

Ender

The Chili Peppers latest record is album of the year. It's brilliant.

Last week I heard "Snow(Hey Oh)" and "Especially in Michigan"
in 2 ESPN TV promo spots for the X Games.

What a stupid remark. U2 didn't get any $$ from that deal, they were just doing a promotion. They don't get much airplay, as people have pointed out, and they can't just assume that someone is going to buy their albums because they're U2 or whatever.

Princey said:

Stadium Arcadium is a stupendously better album than HTDAAB in my opinion. On the Live circuit, U2 rule the roost - but chilis these days are far more popular with today's youth.

In regard to the earlier comment about naming all members i would stake my mortgage on it that more people could name all the chilis than name all of U2...for some reason casual fans never seem to remember Larry Mullen Jnr :wink:

Well, the facts show that:

HTDAAB sold over 6.5 million copies in its first 8 weeks of release, while the Chilli Peppers have only sold 3.3 million copies of its new album in its first 8 weeks of release.

Thats about a two to one ratio in global album sales during the first 8 weeks. You can't even say the Chilli Peppers are competitive with numbers like that. Things may be different in your particular corner of the world, but worldwide, these are the facts.

Larry Mullen Jr. was nominated every year for best drummer in Rolling Stone Magazine back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I'd say he has better name recogination than anyone in the Peppers with the exception of Flea.

I think it's funny.
Every person has the right to state his or her opinion, whether it's positive or negative.
Everybody.

Now comes someone who certainly was aks a question, and he answered it. He thinks negative about what U2 did, and instead of just discussing whether he is right he just gets blamed and people compare the sales of U2 and the Chili Peppers and say the band members of U2 are better known and have a better reputation.

But what has this to do with what Chad thinks about the iPod commercial?
Yes, we are fans of U2, but please, allow other people to state their opinion.

And even if Atomic Bomb sold 100 million albums in the first eight weeks, still Chad has the right to say what he thinks when somebody asks him.

STING2 said:

HTDAAB sold over 6.5 million copies in its first 8 weeks of release, while the Chilli Peppers have only sold 3.3 million copies of its new album in its first 8 weeks of release.

Is that 1.65m double albums or 6.6m total discs sold?

STING2 said:

Well, the facts show that:

Thats about a two to one ratio in global album sales during the first 8 weeks. You can't even say the Chilli Peppers are competitive with numbers like that. Things may be different in your particular corner of the world, but worldwide, these are the facts.

Larry Mullen Jr. was nominated every year for best drummer in Rolling Stone Magazine back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I'd say he has better name recogination than anyone in the Peppers with the exception of Flea.

Late 80's and early 90's....see my point? im on about the younger market. although Chilis are roughly the same age as the band members in u2 id say that the chilis are about as popular now with young people as u2 were back around the ZooTV period; they have cool, therefore they are cool. Something which im afraid no matter which way you look at it u2 can lay claim to being these days.

Im a massive fan of both fans and thats why i have this perspective. there have been countless number of times ive had to defend u2 against my peers(im 19, by the way :wink:) yet ive never had that problem with the chilis.

i guess i am only talking in regards to my part of the world (UK) but the Chilis right now are on par with/if not a bigger band than u2 in terms of popularity with modern youth.

Re: Re: Re: (07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yah

U2DMfan said:

First, who mentions "selling out" in this article?

I think he's saying " I remember that song being alot more than the bullshit from the ad", essentially saying it was gutted.

Which is U2's M.O. these days. He's also hinting at "why would U2 would do this shit is beyond any of us" but they want to be relevant, in other words, Larry will break up the band unless he can impress his friends with a commercial success.

Whatever, whiskey is awesome. Larry will doom this band. mark it.

Well, I suppose if you read the article he doesn't use the term "sell-out," but I think that makes the headline misleading.

As for the song being gutted - well, it was a 30 second commercial, did he expect them to play the whole song? :huh: I don't understand how that's a valid criticism. Of course the song is going to be shorter in the commercial.

Princey, being almost 18 myself, I agree that RHCP are generally "cooler" than U2, in our age group at least. Really though, at my school, people don't care for either, cuz almost everyone listens to rap :shrug:

I think doctorwho's post pretty much summed it up. imo, there is no shame in promoting your own music on television, even if it is a commercial. it's essentially a commercial for YOU. it IS sad that artists have to resort to that, but I've never had a problem with the iPod ads. I always thought they were cool. Chad's entitled to his opinion though, I'm gonna be all "OMG OMG RHCP SUXXXX NO 1 LYKS THEIR MUSIX N E WAZYZ" whenever anyone insults U2, a lot of people here tend to just insult them back without addressing the actual point...

that kind of sucks, love the Chilli Peppers. Not a big deal though, I can see why some people have a problem with u2 and the Ipod commercial.

Anyway, the Chilli peppers new album is great, but it should have been one CD, making it a double put too much filler it. Still, great stuff.

Anyone else love that song "hard to concentrate?"

Best Songs: Michigan, Wet Sand, Tell Me Baby

I could be wrong, but how could U2 be a sell out when they did not take any money for the Ipod thingy!!!

That's what I call integrity. Maybe they should go back and listen to the R n R Hall of Fame induction speech that was given and directly addresses this very subject.

You can bet your *&^ that if RHCP did any endorsement it would have a price tag. I was going to buy my nephew tickets to see them but after learning what a bonehead this guy is ... FORGET IT

poptart514 said:

You can bet your *&^ that if RHCP did any endorsement it would have a price tag. I was going to buy my nephew tickets to see them but after learning what a bonehead this guy is ... FORGET IT

so youre stopping your nephew from seeing one of the biggest bands on the planet because one of its members said something you disagree with? Thats quite small minded if you ask me, its not like theyre preaching devil worshipping or racism or whatever.

Chad was just asked a question and answered it honestly about another band. it just happened that so many of U2s fans take any criticism of"their" band so personally.

I believe that there are a number of definitions of the term "sell out". What people also should realize is this is a free speach country and "To Each His Own", i.e. we are individually able to freely choose and speak about our likes and dislikes. Unfortunately some people get so overly passionate. I just enjoy what I choose to and to hell with what anyone else thinks, and this includes my love of U2. I could care less what negative comments anyone says about the band.

Back
Top Bottom