(02-16-2006) U2 Not Playing Jazzfest -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Not Playing Jazzfest

Despite speculation brewing that U2 would play New Orleans' famed Jazzfest after Edge spent time in the Katrina-ravaged city last fall, official word has now come out that U2 will not take part in the event. According to the The Times-Picayune newspaper, "As for the superstar bands rumored to be on the festival's wish list, the Rolling Stones were never a serious possibility, [event producer Quint] Davis said. He did solicit U2 after having dinner with the band's guitarist, The Edge, last fall. But negotiations went no further than a discussion with U2's manager."

The newspaper does list the following acts taken part in the 2006 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, April 28-30 and May 5-7 at the New Orleans Fair Grounds; Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Buffett, the Dave Matthews Band, Lionel Richie, Keith Urban, Yolanda Adams, Elvis Costello, Fats Domino and the reunited Meters lead a contingent of Louisiana acts that includes Irma Thomas, the Radiators [not the Steve Averill-led group], Cowboy Mouth, Galactic, Allen Toussaint, Deacon John, Irvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Paul S. Morton & the Greater St. Stephen Choir, Snooks Eaglin, Buckwheat Zydeco, Pete Fountain, Dr. John and hundreds more.

This is what really pisses me off about U2 these days. Here's the perfect opportunity to have one of the best shows of thier career AND help New Orleans. Why don't they just do it. There should really be no question about it. Very disappointing guys!!!

Harry Vest said:
This is what really pisses me off about U2 these days. Here's the perfect opportunity to have one of the best shows of thier career AND help New Orleans. Why don't they just do it. There should really be no question about it. Very disappointing guys!!!

Well, considering how long they will have been on tour by this point, maybe they just want to go home and spend some time with their families. :|

Shaliz said:

Well, considering how long they will have been on tour by this point, maybe they just want to go home and spend some time with their families. :|

Yeah, but what's one more gig? It would be the most
meaningful of all their concerts this tour.

edgeboy said:

Yeah, but what's one more gig? It would be the most
meaningful of all their concerts this tour.

But where does it end?
They do this then something else comes up we need them back home and in the studios!!

I will also be disappointed if they don't show for this. THIS EVENT SHOWS THE POWER OF MUSIC like nothing else. I'm not ruling them completely out....negotiations could pick back up at any time.

BTW, I hope they don't just call in a performance of "One" if they should happen to show up though. :(

its a jazz festival, u2 is not jazz....i mean it would be nice of them to help out but most of the people going to the festival would be more interested in seeing the other artists

I hate to say it, but Edge is going to look a wee bit like a hypocrite if he touts Music Rising all these months then doesn't show up at the first big sign of New Orleans' return to musical life. I could see him doing a walk-on with Bob Dylan or Elvis Costello for sure.

Whether it's U2-less or not, I'm so glad that Jazz Fest is happening this year. The city so desperately needs some hope and some good spirits, and Jazz Fest always has such an amazing energy. If I were still living in Florida, I'd definitely drive out for it as I have in the past.

I admit I predicted that Vertigo would end in New Orleans, but the guys do need to get back home and get some rest. The crew, too--those guys (and gals) have been away for their families for the better part of a year. Time for them to get back to what really matters.

Although I couldn't be there, I really was hoping U2 would be - for all the reasons listed above. :(

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I hate to say it, but Edge is going to look a wee bit like a hypocrite if he touts Music Rising all these months then doesn't show up at the first big sign of New Orleans' return to musical life. I could see him doing a walk-on with Bob Dylan or Elvis Costello for sure.

Whether it's U2-less or not, I'm so glad that Jazz Fest is happening this year. The city so desperately needs some hope and some good spirits, and Jazz Fest always has such an amazing energy. If I were still living in Florida, I'd definitely drive out for it as I have in the past.

I admit I predicted that Vertigo would end in New Orleans, but the guys do need to get back home and get some rest. The crew, too--those guys (and gals) have been away for their families for the better part of a year. Time for them to get back to what really matters.

Just because U2 won't be there doesn't mean that Edge can't be there.

aussiedge said:
its a jazz festival, u2 is not jazz....i mean it would be nice of them to help out but most of the people going to the festival would be more interested in seeing the other artists

godamn. get your facts straight before you post as a retard next time.

It definitely was rude. t8thgr8 please refer to our FAQs before posting comments like that.

What constitutes a post or thread worthy of being closed, deleted, or edited by the forum moderators?

Anything that is a personal attack (by personal attack, we also include yawns, rolleyes, etc. that are directly intended to annoy, and are used excessively).

Back
Top Bottom