(02-14-2005) Rumor: Bono in the Sick Bay? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This stupid rumour is now making the rounds everywhere. Worst yet people are actually quoting what Larry said last night, but it wasn't even what he actually said.

Talk about a story taking on a life of its own. :banghead: :banghead:

I saw that over at Zootopia... Was going to try to do some damage control... decided my sanity is already really shakey and could not handle it... but yes, my reaction was the same as yours ramblinrose... I looked for the nearest wall

:mad: :mad:

I remember that stuff with Bono's back problems, it's no secret that he's had them. But it wasn't why they performed "Sometimes", they felt like "Vertigo" was overplayed, and heck, if you ask me "Sometimes" is the better song, one that *many* people can relate to. I hope he takes care of this the right way, he doesn't need any more problems right now.

More speculation... :yuck:
His back problems will probably come back once in a while. That’s what happens with everybody that has the same problem.
That would never stop Bono from doing anything he wanted to.

Erin go Bragh
Actually, Kevin was the announcer for the Grammy's, so he's got a bit more insight to the matter than "just another radio lackey".

Then why did he misrepresent what Larry said? He's a f*****g lackey for misrepresenting what he said.

:madspit:

FOAD

I don't know where these guys get their info, but as stated earlier in several posts, Larry said that they "were not sure" they would be able to tour this year, not "are not sure"! A big difference indeed.

Being from the midwest, i have never heard of these turkeys, but they sound like a couple of tools to me.:mad:

So I heard this report on the way to work today as well. In defense of the d.j.'s they were very sympathetic to the band and talked about being disappointed if this story turned out to be true because they were really looking forward to seeing the band on tour in a few months.

Its very funny to see everyone jumping on these guys for being "tools" and whatever other derogatory names they have been called. Kevin and Bean were very sympathetic to what someone else told them was the reason behind Larry's comments. Don't forget this is the same pair of jockey's who had a very special and unique "Breakfast with U2" during the days of the first leg of the Elevation Tour.

Perhaps it is irresponsible to spread rumors over the air but its also irresponsible to unfairly critize people when all you've done is read a second hand account of the story. They didn't say it was fact they said it was the best inside information they could find and certainly didn't spread the story as gospel truth.

Thanks for the explanation dano. It really does make a difference that these guys were sympathetic, that was cool that they had the "Breakfast With U2" special. It's not the press as a whole I'm pissed off with, I'm fed up with this bad press particularly as we've been giving the whole story with what a hard time the guys have been having lately. Childhood leukemia doesn't give a damn who you are. It's as stressful for the rich and famous as it is for the rest of us, maybe more so as Edge is having to fight to keep this stuff out of the f:censored:g stupid tabloids. I want the press to give the guys at least a breather from the bad press, I cannot imagine what kind of total hell they are going through right now. I think some of us are feeling really emotional about this and maybe aren't thinking everything through because that's almost impossible when you're upset about someone who you really love and care about. I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster since the day of the ticket fiasco, and I know damn well I'm not alone.

Well my dad has something like a slipped disk, but my dads must be alot worse because my dad is always bent over when he walks, and it really looks like it hurts him. He goes in for treatments 3-4 times a week, and they give him excercises to do, but this has been going on now for 3-4 months. He has gotten alot better, but he is not all the way healed. So hopefully Bono doesnt have s erious case of it, or hopefully he doesnt have anything of the nature. But it is alot bigger than just a back problem, a slipped disk is really painful.

I heard right along that they were playing Sometimes
I hope Bono doesnt have back problems though.
As far as Larrys speech, I thought he was referring to Sians health. Bless her little heart.

I love how radio announcers mis-interpret comments. I knew exactly what Larry was talking about and so do we. Bono is a truper and he knows to take care of himself and that we'd understand.

Oh, for the love of :censored: :censored: :censored: Pete. Or should I say Paul???

Larry said, "AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW."
Edge said, "This is for Sian," with no other explanation. That was it.

It was obvious that the band was using this most public of occasions to address we, the fans. Nobody else. If there were "casual fans", or people in the industry sitting there who were keeping track of events from the outside, if they just happened to pick up on what the band was talking about, fine. If not, then not. This is very private, delicate subject matter and they should not have any business discussing it with us, except that it has now interfered with our lives as well, in a much smaller manner. So they decided to take the risk and open themselves up to us. They expected us to know what they were talking about, and if nobody else did, then tough #(&*#. It was obvious that it was very painful for them to have to bring up these events and they probably would not have if the ticketing disaster hadn't happened.

I'm QUITE sure that they would not have done this if they had not taken into consideration first that the next morning, every media outlet in Christendom (and a few in oother countries too)might not be grilling them for an explanation, or printing the rumors as now confirmed fact. Maybe they even took into consideration that stupid things like this would happen, and people who HADN'T DONE THEIR RESEARCH would misinterpret and spread even more dubious misinterpretations.

It was obvious to me (as it should have been for any fan who was anxiously awating tour dates) that after we had just heard Edge confirm Sian's leukemia as real,(confrimation by inference.... he knew that it was an open secret among the fans at this point, so there was no need to elaborate... )Larry coming right out and saying "We nearly weren't able to play tonight and we didn't think we were going to be able to play all year" meant this:

"Folks, you've just heard it right from the horses' mouth. Now you know why we were cancelling all our public appearances before the tour, and why we put any announcement on hold. We were awaiting news from Sian's doctors. If they had given Edge bad news in January, we would have cancelled the tour, period. For all those of you who suspected the rumors were true and we might have cancelled the tour, and even said you'd support us and understand us if we did, you were absolutely right. It really was touch and go a month ago, and the only reason we're standing here at all and we've decided to go ahead with the tour is that we gotten good or/ hopeful news. "

It was a VERY touchy situation and I'm sure we can all relate to this at one point or another in our lives. Have you ever not wanted to talk about something openly with anybody, least of alla thrid party, but the circumstnaces are so serious it's necessary to be as oblique as possible? But you still have to talk. Events warrent it. I am still shocked that he mentioned Sian by name. All Edge would have had to say was, "thank you", and let Larry give some statement like, "Some of you have heard rumors about Edge. Well, the rumors are true," and leave it at that. But no, he was explicit. Was that required? Really?

I was very, very moved. That top photo in the other thread moved me also. It's the most somber image of them I have ever seen, outside of Corbjin's classic JT desert images. The difference, of course, is that then the band were blithe young men playing dressup; they were exploring the intellectual concept of being lost in a spiritual desert. Now, the grimness is real. They wouldnt have to squint to look the persona.

Maybe it was the fact that we haven't seen them all in black since those pics. They looked--and even more, acted--as if they were going to a funeral. I didn't expect any giddy antics a la 2002, not after this most hellish month of their lives. (It has to have been.) Heck, they only smiled when those two girls shouted "We love you Bono!" (WHO were they? PLEBANS maybe?:wink: ) But I never expected to see Bono genuinely at a loss for words. Or speaking quietly and calmly. You could tell this wasn't acting., as some kind of planned "look" as a way to mollify angry fans. This was real. Bono may have sung about a "midlife crisis" but even in 2002, just after Bob passed away, he didn't look like this. None of them did. Of course, I thnk they smiled some and I have only watched it once, but I listened to it several times today.

This is the REAL "midlife crisis", and I think this is a real sea change for them, a rite of passage that they didn't want to have to take. I think they're still a bit shell-shocked, and finding their feet. In this way I think the road amy even begin the healing process. I don't know. But when they got done with the speeches last night, I had tears in my eyes, and all I could think of was, "we get to carry each other, carry each other." It's been 25 years of good times with this band, and except for the Rattle and Hum fiasco and the brouhaha over Popmart (which was a purely intellectual excercise) we've never been through a bad time. I mean, where things weren't gojng well with the band. I see last night's speech as a kind of opening up to us, in a way they didnt want to, but felt they had to. I love, admire and respect them even more, if that is possible. Now we are going to get to "carry each other", and in the best possible way. They were willing to take the risk of a media feeding fenzy to do this, and we should respond in kind, with the respect they deserve.

As for Bono having a slipped disc...that rumor is a year old and more..he had a back injury but heck, maybe you could blame Ali for that:macdevil: They simply chose "Sometimes" because everyone's heard "Vertigo" to death at this point and they may have been the only artist who had the leeway to promote their current single (and next year's possible Record of the Year? Let;s not forget that this a very "Grammy bait" song).Let's not waste the opportunity, etc.

Last edited:
I am so out of touch. I know alot about U2 but I had no clue that Bono is having disk problems. I found their speech's last night very moving. Larry , I believe said that he thought they wouldn't be able to play last night and that they did'nt think they were going to be able to tour. There was nothing said that they aren't! the reality is if they tour that is awesome and if they don't, well let it be. We have no control, as Larry said, if the tour doesn't happen, it will be sad but family and health are more important then trying to please the fans and also the MONEY! They love their fans!

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
and the only reason we're standing here at all and we've decided to go ahead with the tour is that we gotten good or/ hopeful news.

That makes me happier than anything, that basic translation...I've been so concerned about his family ever since hearing about the illness, so stating that things are getting better is really making me feel a lot better.

Originally posted by Teta040
But I never expected to see Bono genuinely at a loss for words. Or speaking quietly and calmly.

No kidding. They all were very subdued up there (as would be expected), very quiet and very genuine...I said the same thing about being surprised that Bono for once didn't have a lot to say. It was a very different kind of acceptance speech from the ones I've seen in the past, that's for sure.

On a lighter note...

Originally posted by Teta040
he had a back injury but heck, maybe you could blame Ali for that:macdevil:

*Snort*...LOL...:p.

Anywho, nice post, Teta :up:.

Angela

Great post teta040. Yes, this has to have been the Month From Hell for them. What makes me really pissed off is that these so-called fans are saying these nasty things to the press right now, as they did in the Chicago Tribune article, as if the guys either need or deserve any more negativity. While I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of the press, I also think it's time to give these guys a breather in this hell, show a little sympathy and respect, and let them struggle through this s:censored:t period in their lives. I am appalled and outraged that so called fans would be doing this. Here it is Lent, I'm supposed to be forgiving people and instead I feel like socking these :censored:holes in the nose. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

sorry but what a load of bollocks
this is a good forum but alot of people
like posting utter crap ..
if you dont know shit dont post it
or (i heard a rumour) yeah rumor

the speech at the grammys was larry apoligising
to the Zillions of U2 Fans
and reference to Edges kid its pretty obvious
(he didnt have to say anything)
Edge said this is for Sian

Bono looked fine
got up from the seat
looked ready to rock Although
a little nervous

i watched the performance again
today there just Fab

looking foward to the tour
no more crap rumours please
post postive things
im pissed off reading negative bollocks
maybe they should cancel THE FULL TOUR
then everyone will be happy???

sorry for words but sum people cheese me off!!!
enoy your week

BB Mac

Last edited:
Why dont sites stop posting rumors?? Why can't they just wait for offical stuff??

dsmith2904 said:

Thank you for posting this. As stated in the original post, this is just a rumor but since Kevin was the announcer for the Grammys, he did have access to some insider information and that gives this a bit more weight.

Was he personally at the Grammy's? I dont remember him. Sorry besides u2 and some other artist, the grammy's was boring

IloveU2 said:
Why dont sites stop posting rumors?? Why can't they just wait for offical stuff??

If we hear things, rumors, buzz, whatever, we pass them along because we think our readers might be interested and there's always a good chance it could be true. Of course, because we don't for certain if it is true, we mark it as "rumor." As far as your other question, as has been posted before, the DJ Kevin was the announcer Sunday so, yes, he was at the ceremony.

ok back when did larry make comment about canceling dates. he said there almost wasnt a tour. wtf. What are these djays addy??

dsmith2904 said:

If we hear things, rumors, buzz, whatever, we pass them along because we think our readers might be interested and there's always a good chance it could be true. Of course, because we don't for certain if it is true, we mark it as "rumor." As far as your other question, as has been posted before, the DJ Kevin was the announcer Sunday so, yes, he was at the ceremony.

So this site just puts stories up wether they are true or not? How fair is that? CAuse you have fans here who believe everything. And when something is not true its a let down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom