What snippets/covers would you like to see on this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
I was privileged to have seen U2 live twice (my very first 2 rock concerts of my life!) in London on 13th June and in Edinburgh on 1st August for the Joshua Tree European leg in 1987.

While the main talk is about what U2 songs will be played this coming summer, I'm wondering about what snippets or covers they would play. What do you think they should play? Perhaps go back to same songs they covered/snippets in 1987, go for something new or even something relevant to our times now?

Personally I'd love to hear these covers/snippets again that I heard live back in 1987 such as C'mon Everybody, People Get Ready, Break On Through (to the other side), Help!, Stand By Me. I'm aware they were not often played or never played again since 1987 so would be nice to hear one (or more) of them

What do you think? What should they cover/snippet?

dougal55

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LOL what a random reference. (I love it. Valerieeeeeeeee, call on me! Call on meeeeeeeeee, Valerie!)

If they bring back People Get Ready, I am taking a bathroom break. (and possibly throwing a shoe at Bono.)

God damn it, now that Winwood song is in my head. I hate you so much right now.

It showed up on my Phil Collins Pandora channel, and I immediately purchased it for $1.29 on iTunes.

When I lived in Oregon I had some friends going to see Winwood at a small venue and they were so pumped for Blind Faith tracks. They asked me if I wanted to go. I told them I would embarrass the shit out of them by yelling "Valerie" the whole time.

Here it is in all its Glory

Hey, it's either that or Beer Commercial "Roll With It." (Wasn't that his beer commercial song? Or was it a different one?)

To the original question, I don't want a rehash of the old snippets.

Ooooh, yes.

Wasn't the Two Tribes snippet from Crazy Tonight?

I remember early on in the Vertigo tour he'd snippet Patti Smith's "Rock n Roll ******" during Vertigo. It was a pretty badass snippet, but didn't stick around long.

(I feel squeamish typing it, but it's the song title, so. Maybe Bono felt wonky about singing it, too.)

Last edited:
Ooooh, yes.

Wasn't the Two Tribes snippet from Crazy Tonight?

I remember early on in the Vertigo tour he'd snippet Patti Smith's "Rock n Roll ******" during Vertigo. It was a pretty badass snippet, but didn't stick around long.

(I feel squeamish typing it, but it's the song title, so. Maybe Bono felt wonky about singing it, too.)

Two Tribes also in UTEOTW in Popmart and Elevation

hmm... your replies here give all different ideas but what I can see now is that U2 may snippet Heroes by Bowie.. yeah, thats a good song and appropriate for the times we are in now...

As for the others, Two Tribes and Valerie?! hmmmmm, I don't believe so but it would surely be fun to hear Bono sing those...

Got 2 GA's for Paris (2nd show) so looking forward to it in any case... will be feeling a bit of deja vu though since I actually saw them live on the original Joshua Tree tour (twice) in UK.. the Edinburgh one then is still, 30 years on, my all time favourite live show Ive seen by U2 (so far I have seen them live 18 times) and only the Zoo TV tour and Slane Castle show in 2001 came quite close to beating it but its the show I saw in Edinburgh that is still fresh in my mind as if it was yesterday... good times...

dougal55

I'm hoping for a Bowie snippet. Heroes, maybe?

Jean Genie?

That was done during the Fly on Vertigo Oceania leg if memory serves correctly.

As for the original post, I'd go for People Get Ready (when the full band did it and Bono belted it out, it was actually pretty damn good). It gets a bad rap from all the half assed, improvised, glorified snippet performances over the years.

I'd also like Stand by Me.

I am dead certain Bono will snippet both Bowie and Prince. He has before, and now has added reason to.

Personally, no covers please. Most of them are either terrible in execution, or when played competently they are of songs that bore me and are hogging space at the expense of original U2 tracks that I'd like to hear. The exception, to run with a JT theme, is Springhill Mining Disaster, which was genuinely excellent.

As for the others, Two Tribes and Valerie?! hmmmmm, I don't believe so but it would surely be fun to hear Bono sing those...

Two Tribes has been snippeted over sixty times in Crazy Tonight and UTEOTW: U2 Two Tribes - U2 on tour

We've always known it as Springhill Mining Disaster in the U2 community, on bootlegs and shit. But maybe yeah. I haven't cared to follow that up.

Most are posting snippets from other artists, but I'd like to hear a few lines from When I Look at the Word. Saw it once in Kansas City, it is unlikely for sure, but epic nonetheless.

Jean Genie?

That was done during the Fly on Vertigo Oceania leg if memory serves correctly.

As for the original post, I'd go for People Get Ready (when the full band did it and Bono belted it out, it was actually pretty damn good). It gets a bad rap from all the half assed, improvised, glorified snippet performances over the years.

I'd also like Stand by Me.

They played a complete version of Jean Genie at MSG on Vertigo tour.

As for the question, please, please don't take a slot of the setlist for a cover version. Covers almost always suck, and there are so many better choices of songs they haven't played or rarely play.

Back
Top Bottom