SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to seriously bet the new song ends the show. no way they just stopped rehearsing it. I know the light show has continued after the band ends...

I'm sure there's some thematic/visual appeal to the way the encore is laid out. MS has obvious themes present. One....I mean no reason this doesn't fit. BD-Ultraviolet is a good transition. the new song would be a neat way to go out

throwing Vertigo or Elevation would be weird. and anyway, you guys want to see those songs again for the billionth time??? I'd rather see UV, MS, and a new song any day.

whoever said they were one of three people excited about Miss Sarajevo this tour, count me in too.

Well, we want to see more songs as long as they're good. People can have their own idiosyncratic tastes, but for most ticket buyers, Elevation and Vertigo are great tunes that add to the show. We're not saying we'd prefer to hear those songs, mind you.

For the most part, Songs of Innocence material is like the only U2 stuff that I wouldn't want to see. It's that bad where I would rather just get home earlier. Like sitting through an opener or main act that you don't really like so you wonder why you're there in the first place. Anything else U2 would be welcomed by me. And if the next album is as rubbish, I won't even attend future I&E dates.

Got to ask about In God's Country, is Larry even playing drums during it? I figure it could just be Bono/Edge and then Adam can chime in with a bass rumble so that Edge can switch to the electric in time. Doesn't seem like it would really need the drums at all and could give Larry a bit of a break.

MLK is obviously another point where he can just sit there early on in the show.

Opening with Sunday Bloody Sunday/New Year's Day might not be as weird as it sounds. For one thing, a stadium audience is going to go apeshit for a one-two punch like that as I can't recall U2 ever opening with such monster smash hits back-to-back in quite some time....I think Elevation had a lot of shows that went Elevation > Beautiful Day though and that was also very high energy. Truthfully, those shows really were packed with a lot of BIG tunes right away.

Anyway, it makes sense since those are the two songs that introduced most of the world to U2. They were a budding act with the college crowd and had some minor chart success, but War is clearly when the doors were thrown wide open. It's also possible that they don't want to really touch the early stuff again since that was a huge part of the I&E opening.

Well, we want to see more songs as long as they're good. People can have their own idiosyncratic tastes, but for most ticket buyers, Elevation and Vertigo are great tunes that add to the show. We're not saying we'd prefer to hear those songs, mind you.

For the most part, Songs of Innocence material is like the only U2 stuff that I wouldn't want to see. It's that bad where I would rather just get home earlier. Like sitting through an opener or main act that you don't really like so you wonder why you're there in the first place. Anything else U2 would be welcomed by me. And if the next album is as rubbish, I won't even attend future I&E dates.

Got to ask about In God's Country, is Larry even playing drums during it? I figure it could just be Bono/Edge and then Adam can chime in with a bass rumble so that Edge can switch to the electric in time. Doesn't seem like it would really need the drums at all and could give Larry a bit of a break.

MLK is obviously another point where he can just sit there early on in the show.

(Sounds like your analysis needs bit more nuance but ok)

I haven't been following along closely, has In God's Country only been played acoustically? BMP's post seems to imply so. That's horrible news if true.

Production crew is playing with lights again inside BC Place after at lengthy break (no audio)

They were rehearsing Wire, and it sounded great, I would be up for that. i'd take it over MLK if I had to choose between TUF choices.

I think ASOH makes complete sense given the more nostalgic theme to this tour, it is a bit of Homecoming for long time fans. I would be good with the inclusion of this.

I wouldn't mind losing MS, but it doesn't sound like that is where it is heading.

I too think that 21 is too short, they should add a little something more. I would like some R&H, like God, Part II and All I want is you. Bad would also be appreciated.

Lets face it there are a lot of songs we would like to hear, 26 while fantastic, will never be enough, 21 I could live with, but would want more. But it will nice to hear some live that haven't happened in a long time.

I haven't been following along closely, has In God's Country only been played acoustically? BMP's post seems to imply so. That's horrible news if true.

It's full band but Edge apparently strums acoustic during the intro. however he changes back to electric for solo parts. that's what I've heard.

They were rehearsing Wire, and it sounded great, I would be up for that. i'd take it over MLK if I had to choose between TUF choices.

Playing Wire, is them really living up to my expectations for the concept of a revival tour.

Wow, so the exact same set again.

Well, I guess it's easier when you've already got 11 that you're playing in a row like that.

I will just be happy to not hear anything from SOI. I just dont ever go back and revisit those tracks now. I will take anything else. And getting to hear JT ASOH and UV is more than I could ask for to be honest.

Last edited:
The European leg of IE featured the longest shows of U2's career. They were routinely 25-27 songs, on an arena tour with a more taxing schedule than this stadium jaunt. That was just eighteen months ago, and with Bono in worse physical health.

There is no justification for just 21 songs or a sub-120 minute show.

Maybe.... Although if they do genuinely intend to resume IE later this year then I get them not wanting to burnout. Also In some ways as much as I want more songs I would rather have 21 than 25 if Bono can conserve his voice a bit more to be honest.

Some slight tweaks to arrangements. B-Day has a mirror ball light effect.

I think Adam/Larry are on the b-stage circa Found to the start of IGC. Larry isn't using the full kit, but he is on Streets and the 2nd half of IGC.

Tour manager Craig Evans talked to some fans after midnight and some direct questions got asked.

-the working show is 21 songs but there MIGHT be something more pop up. Some of the rants were are starting to pop up, including Bullet, and one had a reference to France.
-"much more" than 21 songs were rehearsed by the band before they came here.
-Wed "dress rehearsal" without Special olympians. Thursday is off.
-Wouldn't answer the Bono guitar question (we already know the answer) but did say everyone was very healthy and happy.
-South Am rumous may pop up but nothing is decided.
-they are hiding the post Sarajevo song which has been played a couple times. presumably "Little Things".

It's full band but Edge apparently strums acoustic during the intro. however he changes back to electric for solo parts. that's what I've heard.

1/3rd is acoustic Edge strumming /Bono
1/3rd has the band join
1/3rd Edge goes electric right before the solo and strums the outro on electric.

I think Adam/Larry are on the b-stage circa Found to the start of IGC. Larry isn't using the full kit, but he is on Streets and the 2nd half of IGC.

Tour manager Craig Evans talked to some fans after midnight and some direct questions got asked.

-the working show is 21 songs but there MIGHT be something more pop up. Some of the rants were are starting to pop up, including Bullet, and one had a reference to France.

-Wouldn't answer the Bono guitar question (we already know the answer) but did say everyone was very healthy and happy.

-they are hiding the post Sarajevo song which has been played a couple times. presumably "Little Things".

Thanks for the info! Are the South American rumours for JT or new tour? I know there isnt much info and the rumours keep coming up and never happen ahaha

Surely they know by now that fans are tracking all these rehearsal rumours. Given the fairly rigid list of songs they've rehearsed so far, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a song or two played that we didn't know they'd rehearsed.

As mentioned above, there's been no(?) mention of any songs performed on the b-stage.

Maybe they will rest Vertigo, but it'd still be a surprise to me, given it has never missed a full show.
Well... nobody's seen them play, so we don't know what is or isn't on the b stage.

did U2 practice and run thru the entire show before the start of I&E tour? just wondering

Mate, please, read previous posts in the thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...rehearsals-part-2-a-220951-9.html#post8160484

throwing Vertigo or Elevation would be weird. and anyway, you guys want to see those songs again for the billionth time??? I'd rather see UV, MS, and a new song any day.

Oh shit yeah, I'll take Vertigo and Elevation any day of the week over turds like One or UV, or something I'm bored of like Miss Sarajevo. I know I should favour Miss Sarajevo given all my opinions to date, but at a gig at least I can jump up and down a bit during Vertigo or Elevation. During Miss Sarajevo I'm just going to be standing still listening to canned Pavarotti wondering why I didn't go home after Mothers of the Disappeared.

Either way I'd rather the encore to just include a song that both a) doesn't suck and b) hasn't been completely played out. Like, oh I don't know, the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree aka The Fly.

Opening with Sunday Bloody Sunday/New Year's Day might not be as weird as it sounds. For one thing, a stadium audience is going to go apeshit for a one-two punch like that as I can't recall U2 ever opening with such monster smash hits back-to-back in quite some time....I think Elevation had a lot of shows that went Elevation > Beautiful Day though and that was also very high energy. Truthfully, those shows really were packed with a lot of BIG tunes right away.

Well shit we are in full agreement.

Those Elevation shows that started Elevation/BD/UTEOTW/NYD really sent the place nuts.

They were rehearsing Wire, and it sounded great

What? Where has this come from? Last I heard of them rehearsing Wire was a pre-360 rumour in 2009.

Another fan on Twitter is saying that Craig confirmed the show would be longer... not sure if you were both their at the same time and just heard different things, or if he spoke with more than one group and told different stories... so whatever. I guess we'll find out soon enough

Mate, please, read previous posts in the thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...rehearsals-part-2-a-220951-9.html#post8160484

Oh shit yeah, I'll take Vertigo and Elevation any day of the week over turds like One or UV, or something I'm bored of like Miss Sarajevo. I know I should favour Miss Sarajevo given all my opinions to date, but at a gig at least I can jump up and down a bit during Vertigo or Elevation. During Miss Sarajevo I'm just going to be standing still listening to canned Pavarotti wondering why I didn't go home after Mothers of the Disappeared.

Either way I'd rather the encore to just include a song that both a) doesn't suck and b) hasn't been completely played out. Like, oh I don't know, the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree aka The Fly.

Well shit we are in full agreement.

Those Elevation shows that started Elevation/BD/UTEOTW/NYD really sent the place nuts.

What? Where has this come from? Last I heard of them rehearsing Wire was a pre-360 rumour in 2009.

Elevation over UV?! I get its a fun live song when you are there and all.... Just doesnt pack the same punch as it did when it was new for me. Also UV is one of my top AB tracks. One and MS I get what your saying.

I also think these shows should close with 40. Feels right for this tour.

Last edited:
Ultra Violet is one of my bottom ten U2 tracks, so we are in vast disagreement on this point. UV and One back to back, what an absolute fucking treat of garbage songs from Achtung Baby.

It's a stadium show and U2 should select Achtung tracks like it is. The Fly into UTEOTW would bring the house down.

Ultra Violet is one of my bottom ten U2 tracks, so we are in vast disagreement on this point. UV and One back to back, what an absolute fucking treat of garbage songs from Achtung Baby.

It's a stadium show and U2 should select Achtung tracks like it is. The Fly into UTEOTW would bring the house down.

Yeah fair call, I guess we differ on UV ha

But yes The Fy and UTEOTW would be great. The fly elevation tour style would be something else.

If they wanted the slower tracks I wish they would go Kite over MS. I would love to see Kite, but dunno how Bono would go with that these days.

I reckon by the time they get to Europe the encore will look a bit different. I just hope they keep ASOH around.

Last edited:
Two changes that would make me very happy:

1. Out of Control
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. A Sort of Homecoming
5. MLK
6. Pride
7. Bad
8. Where the Streets Have No Name

Back
Top Bottom