big setlist omissions from SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celebration

The Fly
Disappointed to see no mention of Landlady, Summer of Love or Red Flag Day being rehearsed (or Drowning Man). Sorry gents but Showmen is the weakest track on the record.

An interview of Adam revealed that they rehearsed "Drowning Man" for the 360 Tour, but decided it wasn't going to work.

"We rehearsed up a version of "Drowning Man" for the 360° tour. I think we rehearsed it up until the moment we were rehearsing in stadiums. I think some of the fan chatter said that. I think in the end it seemed like really an obscure song to submit a stadium audience to [laughs]. But it has something. It really does have something. What we were doing with it was quite interesting, but you instinctively know that's not going to carry in a stadium. It could carry in a club situation because it is … that's right off War. It probably isn't that well-known, but it is a beautiful piece of music, really evocative. Perhaps there is a way to put it in."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-joshua-tree-tour-songs-of-experience-126429/

Agreed on The Showman. I usually skip it, though it does fit the live theme.

And Landlady, Summer, and Red Flag Day would be great, even if rotated for inclusion by the night.

Did they decide Drowning Man wasn't going to work before or after playing Your Blue Room multiple times?

Did they decide Drowning Man wasn't going to work before or after playing Your Blue Room multiple times?

I think before. Your Blue Room came during the 2nd leg of the 360 tour and I think that was all Bono. He wanted to tie it in with the space theme going on.

I saw Blue Room in Houston and it was a surreal moment. Very out there but cool. Felt like the whole stadium was in a trance.

I still would have thought Landlady and The Little Things That Give You Away would both fit into the narrative, even on a rotational basis and their my favorite songs on the album.

Back
Top Bottom