GA tips (NO SETLIST SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right on, thanks. So it makes sense to just roll up around 8 or 9am when they start passing that stuff out so not to deal with the looney with the list?

@U2 talked to the people at the Garden, official lineup cannot start until 6AM morning of the show. Of course, this does not stop the unofficial "queue", which I hear has already started...why, I don't know since you can probably roll up at noon day of and get a rail spot. The Garden has been known to give out numbered wristbands starting around 8 or 9 in the morning on show days (for security reasons - train station exit is right there and a federal building is right across), then you can come back later (5pm or so) to line up according to wrist band #. I expect that will be the case this time.

Right on, thanks. So it makes sense to just roll up around 8 or 9am when they start passing that stuff out so not to deal with the looney with the list?

I would say so - btw, it is confirmed that they will start handing out the wristbands at 8AM, and that one should return to line up at 5pm.

I wish MSG would do wristbands. But Dolan has bigger things to screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would say so - btw, it is confirmed that they will start handing out the wristbands at 8AM, and that one should return to line up at 5pm.

The "should" return at 5 is apparently "must" return by 5. It is high drama...

Hmm. Has anybody been able to get in with a prepaid gift card? Or seen someone else? My tickets for night 3 are on one. :|

Anybody knows the GA process for NY????

Find the right gate - if it's like always, then by 33rd St. by 8th Ave. - get in line and wait. Line should be let in around 6:30-7pm, but be ready at 6. Don't have a big backpack. Basically.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Best spot in the house IMO is the rail in front of the Red Zone. I had damn near perfect views of the band when they were on the main stage and e-stage. When they were on the catwalk, they were right there in front of me. And I got to absorb the screen. All of this and I still had a rail to lean on.

Hi all- I need some guidance.
I have GA for 7/15 Boston.

I'm trying to decide if I should go in early (before 8am) to get a numbered wristband or if I should sleep in and go in early afternoon. Do they give out wristbands all day?? I'm short so my goal is a rail spot near the E stage.

Thanks!

I'm trying to decide if I should go in early (before 8am) to get a numbered wristband or if I should sleep in and go in early afternoon. Do they give out wristbands all day?? I'm short so my goal is a rail spot near the E stage.

Thanks!

They give out wristbands all day. I showed up at 6:30 am on Friday morning and was 84. By the time they began distributing wristbands, there were probably 160 or so people in line. 84 was good though go get me an e-stage rail spot. I'm pretty sure whomever wanted rail within the first 200-250 got it. However, I had little to no view of them when they were on the main stage and I'm 5'6". Since you're short, your view could be worse than mine. If you want front row, maybe try for a mid catwalk spot so you can see the whole show. If you're content with having a great view only when they're on the catwalk and e-stage(and they do spend a decent amount of time there), aim for e-stage as planned. :)

They give out wristbands all day. I showed up at 6:30 am on Friday morning and was 84. By the time they began distributing wristbands, there were probably 160 or so people in line. 84 was good though go get me an e-stage rail spot. I'm pretty sure whomever wanted rail within the first 200-250 got it. However, I had little to no view of them when they were on the main stage and I'm 5'6". Since you're short, your view could be worse than mine. If you want front row, maybe try for a mid catwalk spot so you can see the whole show. If you're content with having a great view only when they're on the catwalk and e-stage(and they do spend a decent amount of time there), aim for e-stage as planned. :)

At Vancouver 2 I stood at e-stage rail at the point where it sticks out the most on the floor (at 3 o'clock in front the stairs) and could see the main stage OK and I'm 5'2"...so 3 or 9 o'clock position at the e-stage is probably OK for sightlines to the rest of the show.

Thanks!
I got my wristband for Boston1 around 3:30 and was #344. I was one row back from the e-stage at the the 3 o'clock position (the part where it meets the catwalk being noon). When they were on that stage, it was like they were in my living room with me. I could see the expressions on their faces, the scuffs on their shoes, etc. But I couldn't see a thing when they were on the main stage (I could see the screen.) The trade off was worth it for me, especially because I had seen two other shows. The thrill I get when I am that close outweighs my inability to see the main stage. It's really your preference.

I showed up at 6:45 for Montreal 2 and was a little back from the e stage. I could see that, the catwalk, and the screen, but no main stage.

Does that help at all? I feel like I'm rambling. Wherever you end up, you are going to have a blast.

question for Boston.
Are they calling the GA north and south or east and west (its really northwest and southeast so they could go either way).
North or west is on Edge's side correct?
Anyway to increase your changes to get one side or the other?

Do you need to line up and get a number if you want to stand back by the Red Zone rail?

For comparison, in Phoenix they stopped handing out wristbands at 2:00 or something. Anyone who showed up after that hung around and started a sort-of line* that would go in after the wristbanded folks were let in per their order.

*they had everyone just hanging out in the atrium of the arena - it was pretty chaotic.

question for Boston.
Are they calling the GA north and south or east and west (its really northwest and southeast so they could go either way).

Do you need to line up and get a number if you want to stand back by the Red Zone rail?
At Boston 1, they had two lines, one for each side. Each person had/got to decide which line to go to. The guards didn't know what side was Adam's or Edge's. I actually don't remember off the top of my head. That was kind of chaotic too me. I didn't really care where I stood, but I couldn't tell which line was shorter. We stood in numerical order once in line, but, for example, if #1-200 all chose to stand in one line, #201 would be first in the other line. So there is still a benefit to trying to see what line is shorter, if you can tell.

Big Boston tip: once you actually get your card scanned and your new wristband, you have to hoof it up several flights of stairs. In my head I was going to go through the door and bust right down to the floor. WRONG. And then once you are at the top of the stairs, you have to go through the concourse past several sections before you go down to the floor. People with seats who get there super early are up buying beer, etc. and you have to dodge them. It's kind of like finally get through airport security and then having to get to your gate when you are late for your flight and everyone else is hours early and doesn't give a crap that you have somewhere to be. Have fun! :hyper:

Big Boston tip: once you actually get your card scanned and your new wristband, you have to hoof it up several flights of stairs. In my head I was going to go through the door and bust right down to the floor. WRONG. And then once you are at the top of the stairs, you have to go through the concourse past several sections before you go down to the floor. People with seats who get there super early are up buying beer, etc. and you have to dodge them. It's kind of like finally get through airport security and then having to get to your gate when you are late for your flight and everyone else is hours early and doesn't give a crap that you have somewhere to be. Have fun! :hyper:

Actually its scan CC, then hump up the stairs and North or South wristband at the top of the stairs. On Friday one of the 2 guys doing the wristbands when we got there said "how were the stairs?", I replied "they sucked" and we all got a good laugh.

question for Boston.

I don't think the use of North/South corresponds to actual cardinal directions but are only used within the venue for wayfinding purposes for the audience and crew. I believe the main stage is West and e stage is East (makes sense) so Edge is always South and Adam is always North regardless of the orientation of the arena itself.

I showed up in Toronto at 7:50ish and had no option for which side. They let everyone in the same door and guided us down a flight of stairs where at the bottom if you went left it was south and right was north. By that point they were just funneling everyone to the south side so I presume they filled up north first. There was no crossing to the other side once I was on the floor.

I had room on the red zone rail if I wanted it which I took for a couple songs (great view) and also plenty of space to wander between about two people back from the rail at the 9:00 point of the e stage up to about 80% of the way up to the I stage and all along the catwalk anywhere I wanted about 2 or 3 people deep. If I had any desire to be a dick I could have gotten closer without a doubt but I'm not the type to try to squeeze through people at concerts because that annoys the crap out of me when people do it to get a whole two feet closer. I can imagine if you wanted to press your guts up against the rail you'd probably want to line up for at least a little bit, but otherwise there was no need to in Toronto.

For comparison, in Phoenix they stopped handing out wristbands at 2:00 or something. Anyone who showed up after that hung around and started a sort-of line* that would go in after the wristbanded folks were let in per their order.

*they had everyone just hanging out in the atrium of the arena - it was pretty chaotic.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. But luckily I looked like I knew what I was doing so the non-wristband people just lined up behind me.

The Forum had a separate line for when they ran out of wristbands. The wrist band folks were in pens. Have I mentioned how awesome the Forum was? :heart:

I don't think the use of North/South corresponds to actual cardinal directions but are only used within the venue for wayfinding purposes for the audience and crew. I believe the main stage is West and e stage is East (makes sense) so Edge is always South and Adam is always North regardless of the orientation of the arena itself.
thanks. I was reading other threads since posting and figured that was the case when people were posting that they were always north or south in each venue.

I showed up in Toronto at 7:50ish
I had room on the red zone rail if I wanted

thanks again. I want to be able to see the screens one time and I cant get there early for this show so figured this would be a good show to stand back further and take in the video screens. back by the red zone seems like the way to go to do this.

thanks. I was reading other threads since posting and figured that was the case when people were posting that they were always north or south in each venue.

Correct, in fact, Bono specifically turns to face the corresponding side of the arena as he sings the lines in Cedarwood Road:

Northside just across the river to the Southside
That’s a long way here

It's been two years since I did GA at the Garden. I forgot about the gauntlet to get to the floor. :crack:

Yeah, that was ridiculous. But luckily I looked like I knew what I was doing so the non-wristband people just lined up behind me.

The Forum had a separate line for when they ran out of wristbands. The wrist band folks were in pens. Have I mentioned how awesome the Forum was? :heart:

Vancouver 1 sucked. They handed out wristbands as doors opened. My dad and I got stuck in the line with the slowest wrist band person and it took a while for us to get into the arena. Apparently the next day they handed out wristbands in line, but my dad and I had seats so we didn't have to deal with GA.

Back
Top Bottom