October 28 - Vancouver BC Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my doubts about this - they aren't doing arenas for the fact that they have this massive stage that technically should not fit in GM Place. If that was the case, they would avoid Vancouver completely...and they would also be doing other arena shows in cities that do not have a stadiums...

I think the stage can fit inside arenas if it's hung from the ceiling and the bottom of the legs are not used.

I do imagine that this GMP venue hold by LiveNation is only as an emergency contigency plan. It is my feeling that u2 are good for 25 fully sold out 360 Stadiums in the US, including some extra nights. However I'm really not sure about more than that. I also wonder about u2's ability to play as many corners of the US as they would like while only doing stadiums. Some regions have venues that don't comply with all stadium criteria.

LiveNation must not be sure if they will do 50,000 like 1987, 85,000 like they did over 2 nights in 92, or 28,000 like they did in 1997. This is their 5th time playing the venue and locals know sound is a challenge.

I think this needs to be put into perspective. If the original list of venues hold true, then Vancouver's BC Place has no real risk for U2/Live Nation. It is the ONLY Pacific Northwest show. Any comparisons to Popmart are irrelevant for this reason alone. People will travel from far to see this show. Seattle, Edmonton, and Calgary. Plus, it is the last show of the year (again, if the original list holds true).
I have moderate engineering experience when it comes to buildings (apartments) and based on my limited knowledge, the stage design for a stadium (with its football field space) is completely different than a stage design for an arena (with its hockey/basketball size floor). It is of no simple engineering feat to simply "cut down" parts of a stage designed for stadium to fit it into an arena. Based on the previews, there would have to be a new stage built simply to change the arc of the "spider legs" to fit on the floor space of an arena. If one were to suggest that the legs don't need to go all the way down, then you are relying on the roof to hold more weight. This would be just one of the issues. Compromises in structural integrity come into play and the hours/costs spent just to address this single concern alone is quite significant. This doesn't even address the necessary changes to lighting/visual effects. It would most likely be cheaper to design and build a stage specific to arena specifications.
No, I'm sorry, but this is hocus pocus. GMP is not even "an emergency venue" option. This is a wishful rumour. As much as I would love to see U2 in GMP, This 360 Tour is, so far, built for stadiums only.

It would be nice if they decided to come back to Commonwealth Stadium next year. BC Place has brutal accoustics. Maybe the upgrades for the Olympics will make it better though.

For the Tokyo Vertigo shows the stage was somewhat modified but that may only have been the width and length of the ramps/b-stages. I think Willie's diary mentioned that, even with the modifications, the set up barely fit into the Saitama venue (which was an indoor "stadium" and the smallest of the Stadium leg venues). Not familiar with the GM venue but is sounds like a regular arena so possibility of this being the Vancouver venue seems slight, at best.

It would be nice if they decided to come back to Commonwealth Stadium next year. BC Place has brutal accoustics. Maybe the upgrades for the Olympics will make it better though.

I saw ZooTV at BC Place and vowed I would never see another concert there again. Absolutely horrible acoustics. I am praying that a Seattle date is added before or after Vancouver, because I might have to break my vow if this ends up being the only date in the NW.

For now, I'll be getting Vancouver tix in the public sale and holding onto my presale code for the Seattle date this year or next.

Who knows at this point? Today there seem to be all sorts of rumors flying around - this stuff from Eventful, someone at LiveNation telling someone it's arenas in the US in 2010 .... my head is spinning from all the different rumors!

Is the presale for Vancouver still start April 6? That was the date that had been showing when the tour announcements with venues had been listed. I know in the email from U2.com it said to check the site Monday for further updates on NA venues.

I have full belief that the show WILL be on October 28, that date has never varied from the time it had been announced. I cannot see them adding Seattle shows to the tour this year, the weather is a crap-shoot at best. (I am not looking forward to the GA line up in Van, but at least my hotel is very close & I will have a sister & a friend with me to hold the place in line so we have food/bathroom breaks throughout the day.)

I did see PopMart in the dome, but I had floor tickets, so the sound wasn't a factor for me. I did enjoy seeing the Elevation & Vertigo shows @ GM Place. Can't see them changing the venue to GM as the Van show IS a large drawing for west coasters & area. (I'll be flying in from Edmonton) BC Place just is more logical at this point.

Is the presale for Vancouver still start April 6? That was the date that had been showing when the tour announcements with venues had been listed. I know in the email from U2.com it said to check the site Monday for further updates on NA venues.

I have full belief that the show WILL be on October 28, that date has never varied from the time it had been announced. I cannot see them adding Seattle shows to the tour this year, the weather is a crap-shoot at best. (I am not looking forward to the GA line up in Van, but at least my hotel is very close & I will have a sister & a friend with me to hold the place in line so we have food/bathroom breaks throughout the day.)

I did see PopMart in the dome, but I had floor tickets, so the sound wasn't a factor for me. I did enjoy seeing the Elevation & Vertigo shows @ GM Place. Can't see them changing the venue to GM as the Van show IS a large drawing for west coasters & area. (I'll be flying in from Edmonton) BC Place just is more logical at this point.

LN just wants fans to sweat a little bit and make sure those 4 cities are completely sold out after a couple days.

I wonder if they do Edmonton in 2010. 2 sold out shows in 1997, but the turn out for the Police in 2007 was a little pathetic, and at prices closer to the 360 tour. 360 can def fill one night at commonwealth.

The April 6th date listed was a general sale date (only general sale dates were listed on U2's first tour page). It is a Monday. That seemed strange, unless Ticketmaster is trying to make an effort have ticket sales occur on a day when no other tickets are to go on sale the same day.
If this is the case, expect presales starting on Tuesday, March 28th or they may start later in the week towards the weekend (3rd-4th).
I am not as hopeful as before that a second night will be added (October, 29th). I do hope we get one. If so, expect an immediate general sale about an hour or more after the first general sale.

LN just wants fans to sweat a little bit and make sure those 4 cities are completely sold out after a couple days.

I wonder if they do Edmonton in 2010. 2 sold out shows in 1997, but the turn out for the Police in 2007 was a little pathetic, and at prices closer to the 360 tour. 360 can def fill one night at commonwealth.

I know of a lot of people here that are very disappointed that U2 doesn't have a show booked here. I think that Commonwealth could definately sell out. I've heard a lot of grumbling that its been too long etc... (You'd swear that it was a personal attack on individuals when their city wasn't included in this years tour!)

So... no one knows anything, will they play or not the tenative april ticket date approaches and still no news :doh:

As long as U2's official tour page is continuing to list Vancouver as a future stop, we really have nothing to worry about. It may not be listed on the chart, but it remains listed in paragraph below it. A week today, I am sure we'll have news one way or another (Van presales should start next week Tues-Thurs, if the April 6th date holds). We have to be ready within a day's notice. This is how the presales have been unfolding for the most part.

I was was flipping thru the radio stations today, when I stopped at JackFM, as they were playing U2. They played a bunch of clips of songs, then said that there would be an announcement on Monday morning about how you could win tickets to the concert on October 28th.

That's good enough of an announcement for me! :up:

:lol: Paste from U2.com :love:

In September and October, U2 360° Tour will also visit: Atlanta, GA; Charlottesville, VA; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; Norman, OK; Phoenix, AZ; Tampa, FL; Washington, DC and :hyper: Vancouver, BC. :hyper: Complete Tour and ticketing information to follow.

I am soooo :drool: :drool: :drool: psyched !!!!! The Claw is comming !!!

u2360wembleymockupthelan.jpg

YouTube - The claw is gonna getcha

addon.php

And the Claw is said to be so big it will sit on top of this......

stonesstagefenway-734940.jpg

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Hey people c'mon lets get this thread rollin' (were only at 2 pages) , if nobody is going then cool :heart: :D :hug: easy access for me and my peeps ! :up: :applaud::shifty: Not gonna happen though ! I know youre out there so POST !!! !!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

About what, exactly? How many times can we say "yes, i'm planning on going"?

Once tickets go on sale .... and they actually announce a date for the show, things will pick up in here.

Once I am able to snag some tixs (GAs hopefully), I'll be posting more. My big worry is whether or not to max out my presale limit for Van 1 and hope Van 2 actually happens, or grab 2 and pray that Van 2 (if it happens) gets a presale set up.
This monday with Toronto, Chicago, Boston and New York having their general sale happening, I'll be watching carefully to see if second shows have an immediate sale or not. That might indicate how future NA second dates go on sale.

This thread pertians to Vancouver BC thnx :cute:

No kidding. That's why I posted the info about a possible Seattle show in 2010. Afterall, Seattle is only 2 hours from Vancouver and earlier in this thread people were speculating as to whether U2 would play Seattle or Alberta next year. (The Minneapolis and Green Bay info was more for those from Manitoba/Northern Ontario as these would likely be the closest shows to them. I suspect members from across Western Canada will be drawn to this thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom