June 18, 2011 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanna say what an amazing, amazing show this was.

I was able to park right next to the area where the band arrived and departed by helicopter both nights, so I got to see them fly off twice! What a great and special experience. On the first night, I didn't catch Bono or Edge. I actually think Bono was hiding under a hooded jacket. But I did see Adam and Larry and shouted "GREAT SHOW GUYS!" at them. They both turned and waved at me and then did once again as their copter took off.

Second night I was able to get waves from all the bandmembers. how cool is that?

And to top it all off, as mentioned earlier in the thread about people complaining about standing up while in the seats...

One guy was actually sitting all by himself in the middle of a bunch of people dancing and rocking out. And the entire show he was just shouting, "SIT DOWN, SIT DOWN, YOU"RE RUINING IT FOR EVERYONE." Just like Otto on the Simpsons.

And there was this other guy in front of me wearing a bright yellow shirt. He was at least 60 years old and still partying. He was all kinds of drunk at the show. He would stand on top of the seats in front of him and rock out like it was ZooTV all over again. Then, when the songs ended he started calling out for them to play stuff like Wire, Two Hearts, In God's Country, and (randomly) The Wanderer.

I gave him a nice high five at the end of the night and we parted ways. Wonder where he is right now.

I was lucky enough to be there both nights. First night was excellent, but to sum up the second night show for me, all I can say is my mind = blown. I went absolutely fucking bananas when Edge started that Fly riff. I sang every word, it was so unbelieveably awesome. Nice dirty sound Edge had with his guitar too. I thought Larry's drumming was exceptional. The element of surprise was truly the feeling throughout the entire show... they really seemed to enjoy shaking things up, and hope they continue do it more. Whole band was in absolute top form. Very special and unique atmosphere throughout the entire evening, and I felt extremely fortunate to have experienced it. Without a doubt Anaheim II will standout as a big highlight of this tour.

James

This started as a concert review but ended more as my personal U2 history but here goes…

I've been listening to U2 since War and heard most of their studio albums until Pop. I got reacquainted with them in the autumn of 2010, listening to the earliest albums (on cassette) and remembered why I liked U2.
I had a feeling that the band were like dear old friends that I missed having in my life and that I wanted to catch up with them. It was nostalgia – with a vengeance – and a bit of obsession thrown in the mix!

I read U2–The Rolling Stones Files which I had on my bookshelf for years and had previously not read in its entirety. I joined the Interference forum.
I gave another listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB that a friend had downloaded onto my computer a few years ago but that I hadn't bothered to play again after hearing them once or twice. I bought NLOTH fairly recently and also the re-mastered Boy-October-War CD set

The next logical step was to see them during the 360 tour but I was a little hesitant about buying a ticket at all (considered Seattle) but decided to see the Anaheim, 18 June 2011 show because:
1. I had never seen U2 in concert.
2. Who knows how much longer they will continue to tour, release albums, or whatever – so see them before it's too late.

Read U2 by U2 in the time between the ticket purchase and concert date.

I attended this with no preconceived notions of what songs would be performed or what the concert would be like (and I have read with mild amusement the reactions of serious concert attendees and diehard fans to the set list).

Due to my fairly modest means and that I didn't want to stand for the entire set I got a ticket for section F133, with a fairly good view of the stage from its left side.
The concert was underway later than the 7 pm time I was hoping for but I assume that was intentional so that the screens could be easily viewed in the growing darkness.

Lenny Kravitz and his band were a good opening act. As they played I noticed the effect of the echo bouncing under the overhang of the stadium.
U2 performed a great set and for the most part there was a good continuity of music throughout. I stood up for most of time I was there and while I didn't exactly dance, I bopped and rocked out with the tunes.

U2's louder sound intensified the stadium echo giving the music a muddy and unpleasant tone. Bono's voice sounded very strange at times. When he spoke, sometimes I could hear him very clearly but sometimes his voice seemed to cut out or was garbled. Thankfully this rarely happened while he sang. The spoken animated bit with the cosmonaut baby was, to me, completely unintelligible.
I liked Bono's quips about Adam and Larry. Couldn't quite hear everything about Edge (but I read the other reviews posted and understand now). Larry didn't look in pain very often and he flashed his smile quite a few times. Did the guys give each other some hugs and kisses or swat a backside?

There was a good mix of people in the audience with a wide range of age groups and ethnicities. The crowds in my section were well behaved and I noticed the smell of reefer coming and going (not strong enough for a contact high) and many people stumbling up the stairs between aisles. A couple of young ladies in the row in front of me kept hugging every time an 'old favorite' was performed so I witnessed many hugs that night.
Afterward I overheard some concert goers commenting on the poor sound.

Overall it was a very good night and I enjoyed myself. Too bad the sound wasn't better but such is the way of live events performed outdoors. This may well be the only time I'll see them in person and I'm glad that I did.

By the way, I find it a little ironic and quite fitting that they played 6 Achtung Baby songs in a city founded by Germans. And we all know the history behind the album what with Hansa, Berlin, etc.

Achtung Anaheim indeed!

More later but Anaheim 2 was the best U2 show I've been to.
I tried not to even follow setlists for the US shows prior to the Anaheim shows and hadn't seen them since Vegas 09 so Anaheim 1 was also a great show. I liked not knowing what was coming. The band was on fire as soon as they hit the stage night 2. You could tell it was going to be epic from the start.
Soooo wonderful to see the 'vegas crew' again-through this board and a few shows I've met some genuine quality people and for that alone, feel very fortunate
I think Pittsburgh is sneaking on my calendar ....:reject:

I am at work right now, cursing that the weekend was over before I knew it! I'm not as articulate as Cathal or anybody else here in putting into words how last night's show was simply one of the best moments in my life, and I am really wishing that we have a rewind button in life and have a do-over of the day/night.

Nothing really beats the high of having a great show after all the anxiety in the GA line; getting a rail spot with one your U2 buddies, and then finally hearing The Fly on stage after hearing it in different soundchecks! The setlist shakeup gave a boost to the already extraordinarily-charged audience and I felt like it was nonstop energy from the start to the end. And the band was at 110% with their own excitement and Bono just played to the crowd so well despite spending most of his time on the main stage.

I brought a sign that says, "We shine like a burning star" which got an acknowledgment smirk/smile from Larry and Adam during their Crazy Tonight strut. And I like to believe that sign made Bono stop right in front of me for his Discotheque/Please/SBS segment. :D

More coming soon...

I am at work right now, cursing that the weekend was over before I knew it! I'm not as articulate as Cathal or anybody else here in putting into words how last night's show was simply one of the best moments in my life, and I am really wishing that we have a rewind button in life and have a do-over of the day/night.

Nothing really beats the high of having a great show after all the anxiety in the GA line; getting a rail spot with one your U2 buddies, and then finally hearing The Fly on stage after hearing it in different soundchecks! The setlist shakeup gave a boost to the already extraordinarily-charged audience and I felt like it was nonstop energy from the start to the end. And the band was at 110% with their own excitement and Bono just played to the crowd so well despite spending most of his time on the main stage.

Yes and yes!! A do-over would be nice please! :applaud:

I am too tired to be at work today but I feel that I can type my thoughts about this night on here. It is after all a perfect distraction. Honestly, this concert was the best one that I have seen (U2 or any other band). I started the morning (early after the 1st night) with the intent of lining up for a rail spot but I woke up not feeling well, so I ditched that idea and decided to make my GA experience for night 2 a stress free one and it was simply the best idea ever.

I arrived at the stadium around 6pmish with some of the So Cal ladies and casually walked around the floor and found a spot that I will probably hang out for the rest of the night. Went to get my stamps (neck and arm) for the pit and then made the scary walk through the inner circle and managed to avoid getting peed on or cursed at as we (Maddy, Lila and Dev) walked through a very tightly pact inner circle. There is no way in hell I could ever do that for a full concert. I was very happy to make it out of there and to get my neck stamped.

I then went back to the side of the stage to watch Lenny and his band walk on stage and hung out on the rail in the back while watching Lenny rock out. I had a blast with my friends. Later we stood there and cheered U2 as they walked out to the stage. We then walked into the pit to watch the extraordinary start of the epic set list. This band every time I see them gives me goose bumps. I would think it would stop but thankfully it hasn't.

I ended up back at the soundboard with the rest of my group and stumbled into a crazy party. Danced, jumped, cheered, hugged, kissed and acted like a fool the rest of the night. I will never forget that night and think this is how I should have been watching this concert. I am glad and grateful I have been able to see this show multiple times and view it from behind the stage, side of stage, upper deck and various points in the GA. A stress free GA is the way to go at least it is for me.

I departed Anaheim tired but with lots of love. Experiencing this band with die hard fans who are your friends is something else and it can’t be replaced and it makes our bond stronger. I felt like I met hundreds of people and I enjoyed meeting and seeing everyone this weekend. Thank you all for making it special for me. :hug:

I am too tired to be at work today but I feel that I can type my thoughts about this night on here. It is after all a perfect distraction. Honestly, this concert was the best one that I have seen (U2 or any other band). I started the morning (early after the 1st night) with the intent of lining up for a rail spot but I woke up not feeling well, so I ditched that idea and decided to make my GA experience for night 2 a stress free one and it was simply the best idea ever.

I arrived at the stadium around 6pmish with some of the So Cal ladies and casually walked around the floor and found a spot that I will probably hang out for the rest of the night. Went to get my stamps (neck and arm) for the pit and then made the scary walk through the inner circle and managed to avoid getting peed on or cursed at as we (Maddy, Lila and Dev) walked through a very tightly pact inner circle. There is no way in hell I could ever do that for a full concert. I was very happy to make it out of there and to get my neck stamped.

I then went back to the side of the stage to watch Lenny and his band walk on stage and hung out on the rail in the back while watching Lenny rock out. I had a blast with my friends. Later we stood there and cheered U2 as they walked out to the stage. We then walked into the pit to watch the extraordinary start of the epic set list. This band every time I see them gives me goose bumps. I would think it would stop but thankfully it hasn't.

I ended up back at the soundboard with the rest of my group and stumbled into a crazy party. Danced, jumped, cheered, hugged, kissed and acted like a fool the rest of the night. I will never forget that night and think this is how I should have been watching this concert. I am glad and grateful I have been able to see this show multiple times and view it from behind the stage, side of stage, upper deck and various points on the GA. A stress free GA is the way to go at least it is for me.

I departed Anaheim tired but with lots of love. Experiencing this band with die hard fans who are your friends is something else and it can’t be replaced and it makes our bond stronger. I felt like I met hundreds of people and I enjoyed meeting and seeing everyone this weekend. Thank you all for making it special for me. :hug:

:hug:

Spectacular show and atmosphere. Fly sounded great and so did UV. Loved seeing the jackets for the first time, as well as Bono's tele. The Clarence tribute at the end was magic (Brad and I may have alerted Bono to that, because when he saw our signs at first he seemed confused. By the end he's looked at our direction numerous times.)

I will say this: A few of the songs they brought back fans had complained for months for them to drop (which U2 did). And there was only one song played for the first time. So, I actually thought Seattle was better music -wise. This was one of the best shows I'd seen performance-wise. The atmosphere was electric in there.

You know what was weird? They let us bring our water bottles inside.

I even asked the person scanning my ticket. "Do I need to ditch this?" Nope.

AND they sold you water and let you keep the cap.

What kind of nutty stadium is this?

what did Brad's sign say again? I couldn't get a good look even during Lenny.

We both (and a friend) had Clarence signs. The sax player for Lenny took the one Brad was holding onto the stage. (It's my FB avatar).

You know what was weird? They let us bring our water bottles inside.

I even asked the person scanning my ticket. "Do I need to ditch this?" Nope.

AND they sold you water and let you keep the cap.

What kind of nutty stadium is this?

The kind that rather than say don't run, said "run faster".

Back
Top Bottom