U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you'll find that being seen to not deliberately schedule headliners beyond midnight is a bit of a nod to the locals and authorities. In reality, they go over midnight all the time.

Edit: Just had a look at 2009 times, both Neil Young and Springsteen were scheduled for 12.15am finish, so maybe that's not it. Don't be dicks U2! 25 songs!

But if you look on the glastonbury site all the headliners are getting 1:45 so its not u2 being dicks

Aw man thats a bit shit. They need to let em play a full set. They're only gonna have U2 headlining once, let em play as long as they want! That 1hr45 will go so fast it'll be untrue :huh:

Trust me it will be longer than the time shown, eavis has already said they can have as many encores as they want

yeah, to be honest it feels like a lot of unnecessary worrying is going on all over U2 sites about the length of the set! :ohmy: I don't want to swan in here talking like I know everything, but unless there's a real problem during last-minute tech checks that delays U2 coming on, you can almost certainly bet the farm that they WILL play over the 'official' time that's on the programmes/set time lists online.

who knows maybe they won't take advantage of the absolute 12.30 curfew (Macca and Springsteen both went over) but can you imagine the set finishing at 11:45, tens of thousands of cheering fans (and converts :wink: ) going absolutely fucking nuts and U2 just going "okay, yeah that'll do. cheers Mike. G'NIGHT!" :lol:

It would be great - to say the least - if they did take advantage of the absolute 12.30 curfew. Can't quite work out a couple of spots on the setlist... two need to go in, two need to go out... fuck it, it's a one off, play all four. Not going to happen, but we can dream.

to be fair, with such a huge gig i wouldn't write it off as "not going to happen". if they stop at midnight, I'll buy you a pint. :wink:

How long is a standard 360 gig? I would guess 1hr45 wouldn't quite get them through their standard length main set, let alone anywhere near any encores. So, shaving off some Claw-faffing time, it will surely go at least maybe 10-15mins over midnight. And they seem pretty good at being bang on time at Glastonbury, but I would still bet U2 are a bit tardy, for whatever reason, so almost certainly pushing it well over. But I'll tell you what: if they play *more* songs than a 360 set, I'll buy everyone a pint.

okay well looking at the current set it's 25 tracks and on my iTunes the Sao Paolo radio broadcast comes in at 2 hours 14 minutes. if they do the right thing and drop Moment Of Surrender we'd get an extra song. mine's a 'Brothers'. :wink:

(but seriously, it's not going to be the standard set but let's just hope they drop Moment Of Surrender as a closer, keep the songs coming and Bono's speeches short and sweet :wink: I remember his 360 speeches being shorter than Vertigo though, Larry's words had an effect it seems.)

All i know this time next week you jammy bastards will be getting ready to see possibly one of the best U2 moments of all time

You have to make time for the fact that I reckon he's going to break all known snippet records at this gig. There'll be at least three per song. I bet he's spending most of his time leading in not working on the setlist at all, but trying to figure out how to get Single Ladies into Elevation.

And I reckon he'll speechify, but it won't be Africa, it will be trying to connect with the crowd by getting all vibey and music, man. He'll bang on about people he heard when he was young (Lennon, Clash, Someone Awkward Like Abba), that inspired him to do this and that, and the band to do this and that, and obviously that's what the festival is all about and that's what the crowd is all about, so (translation) clearly Bono/U2 are all together and cool with the Crowd/Glastonbury. 'One', you might say.

Oh dear villa supporter then?

For my sins.:lol: It's bad enough he was our rivals manager add that he created the most negative team in the Prem and signed some right old tosh to boot, put the three together....
I still can't believe the board have been so nieve and have appointed him:angry:

Anyhow thread divert and rant over.

Interestingly nobody has included Love Is Blindness in their setlist predictions?

You have to make time for the fact that I reckon he's going to break all known snippet records at this gig. There'll be at least three per song. I bet he's spending most of his time leading in not working on the setlist at all, but trying to figure out how to get Single Ladies into Elevation.

And I reckon he'll speechify, but it won't be Africa, it will be trying to connect with the crowd by getting all vibey and music, man. He'll bang on about people he heard when he was young (Lennon, Clash, Someone Awkward Like Abba), that inspired him to do this and that, and the band to do this and that, and obviously that's what the festival is all about and that's what the crowd is all about, so (translation) clearly Bono/U2 are all together and cool with the Crowd/Glastonbury. 'One', you might say.

I also think Bono will be careful with his speechifying and agree we may get a snippetry world record.:lol: Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Scarlet/Walk On combo didn't make the cut, ISHFWILF replaced AIWIY so they can include a singalong of Stand By Me and even SBS may get dropped

Love is Blindness? I wouldn't DARE even think about it. That one would be too good. It was almost certainly only played for the Achtung film anyway, but if doing that suddenly put it on their radar and now gave it a one in a gazillion chance of actually getting played... best not think about it. Don't even whisper it. Concentrate on not hearing Discotheque or something else that's at least one in a million.

Can't wait for Bad to turn into a Coldplay medley.

Can't wait for Bad to turn into a Coldplay medley.

You know it! Just wait!

"I drew a line, I drew a line for you, oh what a thing to do, and it was all yellow... aaaaall yelloooow!.... AAAAALL YELLOOOOOW!!!... YELLOW!!!!... YEAAAAH!!!... I'M WIIIIIIIIIIIIDE AWAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!"

Stay tuned for Oasis snippets too. Beautiful Day, Vertigo, I'm looking at you.

Yeah, definitely a lot of UK/Glastonbury (past and present) will be referenced.

And one or all of the following, for sure:

"Uno, dos, tres, GLASTONBURY!"

"I wanna dance, dance, dance in the Glastonbury rain." (and it probably will rain)

"See the world in green and blue, Worthy Farm/Michael Eavis/Fucking Protest right in front of you."

And they're not going to drop Sunday Bloody Sunday. It would be silly to drop what would be a super popular All I Want Is You as well. I'd love them to dump Walk On, but that's not going to happen either.

It's pretty easy to pick four-five that either likely would, could or should be dropped, and free up all the space needed. I think maybe 2-3 of these will actually happen (and these obviously aren't spot-for-spot swaps):

Crazy Tonight > New Years Day
Miss Sarajevo > Still Haven't Found
Magnificent > The Fly
Zooropa > Bad
Moment of Surrender > ???

Love is Blindness? I wouldn't DARE even think about it. That one would be too good. It was almost certainly only played for the Achtung film anyway, but if doing that suddenly put it on their radar and now gave it a one in a gazillion chance of actually getting played... best not think about it. Don't even whisper it.

While I agree that it's certainly a long shot, Adam suggested a 90's theme and then we have the inpromptu version from Buenos Aires on the last tour:

YouTube - ‪U2 Buenos Aires - Love is Blindness - 2006‬‏

I imagine they could rehearse that song and play it properly if they wanted to?

Concentrate on not hearing Discotheque or something else that's at least one in a million.
They brought it out on the last tour and played snippets of it on this tour, so again it's not very realistic perhaps but neither is it to unlikely in my opinion as it's one of the few POP songs that they seem to enjoy performing every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom