[Spoiler] has been played live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always assumed it was the Giant Disembodied Floating Head of Bono that would cause such destruction.

DisembodiedBonoHead.jpg

:lol:

Wow. There are no words. Except that I hope this will be a recurring image Cori haha!

Intereference's own d. darroch took that picture last year, by the way.

I must give credit for such a perfect snapshot.

Gotta love the never-ever-feckin-happy attitude from some U2 fans. This criticism for changing the lyrics on an unreleased song is hilarious. Not only do we want them to play Mercy, we want them to play it the *correct* way, you know, the way that wasn't ever actually released.

I remember last year some people criticised U2 for not playing Bad the *correct* way. I'd rather they played it the wrong way than didn't play it.

If you like the old version of Mercy then you still have it to listen to and enjoy and to lull you off to a world full of untainted, unreleased U2 classics free from the meddling hand of Bono.

I think I've only heard the old version twice so I'm not too stuck on it. But I really, really like the new live version in concert.

^THIS :yes:

i kind of see it like a work in progress, or a series... you know, like painters, different versions of the same theme...

2004 Mercy was no unfinished demo, it was the 12th track to the Bomb up until the last minute.

The old version was better for me. I really don't care if it bugs people to hear that. It's an opinion, and I don't have to wait until some finalized version of a song comes out to comment on its progress.

I think it's great that Mercy is creating as much controversary now as it was when it was still just an infamous leaked song. :wink:

Sorry but no. The LYRICS to Mercy were officially released. In the HTDAAB special edition booklet. So your argument is hereby bullshit.

Ok i apologise, i havent read the booklet in a long time, i dont think there is any need for the harsh way you worded it though.

Sorry but no. The LYRICS to Mercy were officially released. In the HTDAAB special edition booklet. So your argument is hereby bullshit.

not really. the lyrics were artwork to one of the pages. there was never a liner note with "Mercy" written by Bono and Edge bla bla with the lyrics. i hardly consider that an 'official' release of lyrics when it's a verse and a chorus in the booklet.

this rationale is hereby bullshit.

People, it was cut from the Bomb because of the length of the album, not because the song wasn't finished. Just because it could be described as rambly doesn't mean it was a rough demo.

I prefer the original 2005 version of Mercy overall to the new live 360 version. I am very glad they are playing it live and the "because, because, because" part is growing on me. I do like the original's song structure that isn't verse, chorus, verse, etc. It seems more like a free flowing of ideas coming from Bono in the originals lyrics and song structure. The original is definitely more dark and heavy lyrically than the new version. Someone on this message board said that Bono has introduced a new character in this version while the earlier one was about a person contemplating instead of having a conversation with someone else. It will be interesting to see where the band take the song in the new studio version if they decide to offically release the song. I have been listening to both versions a lot lately and it's a great song either way.

adding my bit of opinion to this discussion; I'm pleased that Mercy was played. I like it as I like the 2005 version as well.
We can argue about the 2005 version being a demo or not, but I think Mercy is another example of how songs can evolve.

When I look back at early 1991 when the Achtung Baby outtakes appeared, there was one song that I thought nailed it. Later on it appeared that U2 had developed it into several songs: Wild horses, fly, lady with the spinning head.

I am very curious about Mercy when it eventually pops up on a 'real album'...

not really. the lyrics were artwork to one of the pages. there was never a liner note with "Mercy" written by Bono and Edge bla bla with the lyrics. i hardly consider that an 'official' release of lyrics when it's a verse and a chorus in the booklet.

this rationale is hereby bullshit.
Do songs really need a liner note with Mercy being written by Bono and The Edge? As far as I know that booklet was officially released, and inside that booklet were the lyrics to what Bono called Mercy. Thus, logic ensues you to put 1 and 1 together and add them up to understanding that there is a song called Mercy with the lyrics written on that page. And well bite me! We HAVE a song with those lyrics called Mercy that was leaked on the internet. WHAT A COINCIDENCE! :shocked:

Your MOM isn't officially released! SNAP!

:lol: Well played!

Back
Top Bottom