Moment of Surrender is a LAME closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should simply add Bad at the end of the encore. I love the encore as it is, but I think Bad would fit in perfectly in every way after MOS, and has already demonstrated itself to be an incredible closer.

I'm a huge fan of MOS as a closer. I proposed to my girlfriend just as it was starting last Wed. night.

Finally saw the tour last week - NY I & II - so things are a bit more concrete for me now.

During the TONS of down time at both shows, i.e. YBR, NLOTH, TUF (sadly), UC, Walk On, MLK (to only name a few) I tried an experiment and did what others on this board suggested- look around at the crowd and try to determine who are the hardcore types who clamor for Acrobat, RHMT, 11 O'Clock, Exit, etc. - in other words, us. It was really eye opening. I would estimate that people who even HEARD of those songs made up only about 20% of the audience at most. I would say 80% of people all around me - section 320 for NY I and section 130 for NY II - could not have cared less about anything other than the warhorses. I of course don't just base this on how people looked- I based it on body language and behavior during the songs. Both of my sections emptied out by 75% during YBR, Stay, and UC. Others spent the majority of time sitting, chatting and texting, seemingly uninterested in large chunks of both shows. It is easier to explain the section 320 upper deck folks. But the section 130 (edge's side, lower ring) were sitting in $100-$500 seats depending on source of ticket and the impression I got was that they couldn't care less!

To the folks on the floor at the shows, and those true fans on this board, I salute you and I hope you have and continue to have great times at the shows. But this experience drove home to me how much in the minority we are, at least at the Giants Stadium shows.

And MOS is a great song, but it was awfully depressing watching thousands and thousands of people starting to stream out of the stadium during the middle of WOWY both nights. I actually witnessed a brief fight break out as fans bottle-necked the section exit. MOS may be a great closer to a small minority of hardcore fans, but the masses who attend the shows and give U2 a great life neither know it nor care about it whatsoever.

I wonder if the band is aware of the dynamic in the audience during different songs? Do they employ folks to monitor the crowd responses who are actually part of the crowd during the show? Because there is room for alot of improvement - I loved both shows, but I found myself a little depressed by crowd reaction during certain parts, especially the end. It really makes me think that Streets or Bad or even a well-performed WOWY might be the way to close- those are the songs that make the crowd feel good and energetic about U2, and might be a good way to remember them as opposed to something like MOS. Quite frankly, I felt a little embarrassed at how awkwardly the show closed both nights.

I of course only express my opinion and can only base my observations on those in sections near me. I do believe, however, that I got a good cross-section of observations.

overall, who cares? the casuals get over two thirds of the setlist....the hardcore fans deserve something. if i go to a concert from a band that i don't know every song from like i do u2, i'm going to expect to not know songs. i don't see why people going to a u2 show should expect to be any more special.

I loved both shows, but I found myself a little depressed by crowd reaction during certain parts, especially the end. It really makes me think that Streets or Bad or even a well-performed WOWY might be the way to close- those are the songs that make the crowd feel good and energetic about U2, and might be a good way to remember them as opposed to something like MOS. Quite frankly, I felt a little embarrassed at how awkwardly the show closed both nights.

Agreed. Although MOS is a great song, a higher energy closer would probably send the fans out on a better note.

MOS defintely seemed somewhat out of place ending the Giants Stadium shows, especially with half the crowd rushing to the gates to leave to deal with the disaster of the NJ Transit trains back to NYC....

Two different things are being discussed here. What song "fits" as the last song, and what song would keep everyone in their seats. If people are leaving before the last song (Streets, WOWY or whatever else people are describing as a bail point) nothing will keep them there if they have already left.

MOS (IMHO) really fits as the last song. Other songs (esp if they played 3 warhorses in row for the final encore) might keep them there, but if people are going to leave, they are leaving. Even during U2's first #1 song.
exactly. and i'm sure the band realizes this, they'd have to be idiots to not notice it. generally i think the band's pretty good with picking decent closers. i didn't think the song would work as a closer but i think you have to hear it to "get" it.

however, bad and/or 40 always works. though it is always nice to hear them try something else as a closer.

I think they should swap the placement of WOWY and Surrender. The "ooooohs" at the end of WOWY gave me chills as the whole crowd sang it back. I'm also happy they dropped NLOTH and UC. I've never been a fan of the silly lyrics in UC and NLOTH always seemed kinda flat to me when played live. Elevation I think needs to be dropped, too. I know most people still love it, but I think it sounded AMAZING as an opener 10 years ago but hasn't had the same impact since. I was happy to see NYD back. I wish they brough back Until the End of the World, too.

Section 120 seemed to be the place to be, which I'm happy to say I was there! :hyper:

NLOTH flat live? It's f*cking great. Together with GOYB it's my favourite live song from NLOTH.

I'm also one of the few that loved the idea of mixing NLOTH 1 and 2 together. I love the heavy aspect of 1, but love the drums in 2. Also, one last minor thing. I REALLY wish they kept the new intro to Beauitful Day that they used in the Europe Leg. That gave me chills and brought such an emotional moment.

I agree with MoS is great live, but not for a closer. It should be before "One", which would then go into Amazing Grace, and then Streets. Then close the show with Ultraviolet and WOWY.

After witnessing MOS at FedEx Field I have to say I think it's a great closer. I wasn't too sure about it while listening to the boots either. I think you just have to be there. All the cell phones lit up were really beautiful as was the VERY passionate singing from Bono and Edge on piano. Everyone was clapping along with Bono in the middle of the song and singing the oh oh oh ohs at the end. Then the video screen showed them walking off the back of the stage. What else can you ask for really. :heart:

In my mind UV is the closer... for the 4 shows I went too.. I started leaving at MOS was playing and heard it all four times as I was leaving... so in a way it's a good exit as it's a nice way to end the night, but it's not a song I feel I need to see like some other closers...

There is no perfect closer, because that means the show is over and you always want more.

Maybe they'll debut Grace! Then everybody will fall asleep in the stadium.

There is no perfect closer, because that means the show is over and you always want more.

See, that's the thing. This song as a closer does NOT leave me wanting more. It has me looking at my watch. I've never done that at a U2 show, ever, and I've been to many since Zoo TV.

I never want their show to end, but honestly this encore makes me anxious for the end. I still love this tour but the encore doesn't lift me up and beg for more. It just makes me sad. JMO.

See, that's the thing. This song as a closer does NOT leave me wanting more. It has me looking at my watch. I've never done that at a U2 show, ever, and I've been to many since Zoo TV.

I never want their show to end, but honestly this encore makes me anxious for the end. I still love this tour but the encore doesn't lift me up and beg for more. It just makes me sad. JMO.

I agree, I think they should close with a fast paced song or a rocker. End it with a bang if you will. Obviously a slow paced one can work as U2 have done it before successfully. I just don't think MOS is working on that level for this tour. :shrug:

After seeing my 3rd show, I am MORE convinced that this is the PERFECT closer. I love ending on a "downer" song. Think 40, Love is Blindness...I think this might be the best placed song on the setlist.

After seeing my 3rd show, I am MORE convinced that this is the PERFECT closer. I love ending on a "downer" song. Think 40, Love is Blindness...I think this might be the best placed song on the setlist.

I would agree. I think many of the predicted setlists after the album came out ended with Moment of Surrender. To me it is hurt by the song before it, With Or Without You. WOWY is so uninspired these days that the shows end with ten minutes of slow music.

I would agree. I think many of the predicted setlists after the album came out ended with Moment of Surrender. To me it is hurt by the song before it, With Or Without You. WOWY is so uninspired these days that the shows end with ten minutes of slow music.

I think you may have a point there. I'm one of the few diehards left I think that actually still likes WOWY, but its placement in the set this tour is not working all that well and maybe that effects MOS's effect as a closer. Don't get me wrong, I like MOS as a song and live, kind of like Breathe opening, it just doesn't quite hit me as a perfect closer like Breathe doesnt hit me as a great opener (even though I like the song). :shrug:

I just remember the last tour when I saw them close with Bad a couple of times and I thought, that was absolutely perfect. I don't get that with MOS.

I personally think that Ultraviolet->With Or Without You->Moment of Surrender fits so well into the show thematically that it's insane... they are the desperation but the true emotional heart of each show when put in that order.

The only issue the the lackluster vocal performances of WOWY on this tour, but I've come to not even mind that so much, because it's better than the last tour, and UV and MOS are performed to an insanely high standard. Shine Like Stars every night would be really nice, though... and it would really fit in perfectly.

I personally think that Ultraviolet->With Or Without You->Moment of Surrender fits so well into the show thematically that it's insane... they are the desperation but the true emotional heart of each show when put in that order.

The only issue the the lackluster vocal performances of WOWY on this tour, but I've come to not even mind that so much, because it's better than the last tour, and UV and MOS are performed to an insanely high standard. Shine Like Stars every night would be really nice, though... and it would really fit in perfectly.

So I'm wrong again. :lol: ;)

See, I thought WOWY was perfectly fine on Vertigo. :shrug:

I would like to see them play WOWY early in the set, maybe where YBR is. Slow it down, but the crowd still goes apeshit. :shrug:

I like the 360 setlists. My main complaint and its not a big one is Breathe opening the show. It works "ok", just not fantastic as an opener.

So I'm wrong again. :lol: ;)

See, I thought WOWY was perfectly fine on Vertigo. :shrug:

I would like to see them play WOWY early in the set, maybe where YBR is. Slow it down, but the crowd still goes apeshit. :shrug:

I like the 360 setlists. My main complaint and its not a big one is Breathe opening the show. It works "ok", just not fantastic as an opener.

I think I agree with you about Breathe, but I do see why the band chose to open with it.

I agree, casuals and those who need a high BPM to survive might not like it, but I love it, and Bono clearly explained his shaping of the set. (Doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome say Bad or 40 into that encore).

Back
Top Bottom