Hey! MW is sounding pretty good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not really "fair" in one sense to compare the versions that were played right after the album drops with later live versions.

The new songs are fresh and the most potent (generally) for the band during the tour following the album...
1997/1998 is not right after the album drops. Elevation had some great versions too by the way, like Irving Plaza and Slane. This performance is pretty weak imo. Larry's drumming for example, which is very good these days, is so basic during this performance. I really don't get thrilled.

1997/1998 is not right after the album drops. Elevation had some great versions too by the way, like Irving Plaza and Slane. This performance is pretty weak imo. Larry's drumming for example, which is very good these days, is so basic during this performance. I really don't get thrilled.

I agree, the song comes alive because of the bass and the drums, and so far, Im not impressed,

I hope they can sort it out tho, cos IMO it's one of their best live songs

I agree, the song comes alive because of the bass and the drums, and so far, Im not impressed,

I hope they can sort it out tho, cos IMO it's one of their best live songs
Indeed, that's how I see it.:up:

That's just NOT true. How anyone can say that is beyond me. Were you there? I experienced exactly the opposite.

As for MW, I don't need the song at all, any version is a waste of space for me. Same goes for WOWY. I don't care how they perform it, I don't need to hear these songs. The rest is fine for me.

I'm just being sarcastic!

From these videos, the new version technically sounds fine. It's musically tight, and the new sequencers they are using are obviously helping them get it as close to album fidelity as possible, which is an admirable goal in a live setting (as long as a band doesn't become slaves to the technology).

But - and I noticed this when I saw them play this song in Tampa on the Vertigo Tour - the song is missing the S-E-X that really sold it on its first two tours of duty, and the intro/solo/outro was a direct product of that whole trashy sexual vibe. I'm sure someone, somewhere has written on this subject, but I always thought the song was staged as musical sexual intercourse, between the band and the audience, the different parts of the live presentation being analogous to the stages of sexual arousal, from the intro (foreplay) to the solo (orgasm).

Times have changed for U2 in a lot of ways since 'Mysterious Ways' was born; maybe this is just not what they are trying to achieve with it anymore. Although I personally feel that would be a shame. Who wants to have sex and not have an orgasm?

But - and I noticed this when I saw them play this song in Tampa on the Vertigo Tour - the song is missing the S-E-X that really sold it on its first two tours of duty, and the intro/solo/outro was a direct product of that whole trashy sexual vibe.

:up:

That's what makes that Zoo TV version so awesome for sure (it's been a while since I've listened to any Popmart bootlegs, but I remember it being a highlight); I've made a similar comment in previous conversations.

... although not quite in such *cough* fascinating detail as you do here. :shifty:

The post I was quoting was referencing Zoo.

That was right after the album dropped.

Larry is lazy as hell...
Adam is alright
Edge seems tired
Bono sounds good

MW has died.... :huh:

The irony is that Bono is giving the best performance of the band, which is generally the opposite of how it works for tired warhorses.

Larry is lazy as hell...
Adam is alright
Edge seems tired
Bono sounds good

MW has died.... :huh:

yeah..."lazy" is a good way to put it for Larry...seriously, if you compare it to the ZooTV versions, there are entire sections that break the song down and built it back up into this incredibly epic thing...for example the tom action before the "one day you will look back" verse....Now, he pretty much just plays the same straight drum pattern for the entire song....so frustrating.

it's frustrating because I can't imagine this song being rescued....it just seems like they're going to play it the same uninspired way (with no extended intro or no slide solo) every time this tour....hopefully I'm wrong :sigh:

yeah..."lazy" is a good way to put it for Larry...seriously, if you compare it to the ZooTV versions, there are entire sections that break the song down and built it back up into this incredibly epic thing...for example the tom action before the "one day you will look back" verse....Now, he pretty much just plays the same straight drum pattern for the entire song....so frustrating.

it's frustrating because I can't imagine this song being rescued....it just seems like they're going to play it the same uninspired way (with no extended intro or no slide solo) every time this tour....hopefully I'm wrong :sigh:
Yes, I agree with you entirely. The pattern he plays now is so bloody easy:down:

Everyone who's seen it praises it, the grumpy pessimists will be converted soon enough.

They played MW last night and I thought it was great and powerful. It really worked.
Yep really got the crowd going i was there as well and loved it.

Not that i paid attention to larry's drumming etc just the overall experience and it was energetic!

Yep really got the crowd going i was there as well and loved it.

Not that i paid attention to larry's drumming etc just the overall experience and it was energetic!

Can you tell me quick... are you absolutely positive you've heard U2 soundchecking 11 O'Clock?

I loved Mysterious Ways in Berlin. I didn't miss the solo, didn't even think about it. Crowd went crazy when that song started. Really great performance. Bono has an amazing voice.

Back
Top Bottom