FINALLY! Magnificent opens Foxboro 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im all for Magnificent opening the set but they shouldnt drop Breathe.

The song is too good to drop, better let a oldie goldie bite the dust U2.

This.

I noticed that Unknown Caller missed 2 shows on the 1st leg. Hopefully, Breathe just catches its breath and comes back.

I ended going to both Foxboro shows and have to say Foxboro #2 was by far a lot better. In fact and this is hard to admit, Foxboro #1 was so bad in my mind I kinda lost all faith. I was thinking here I go spending all this $$$ and in the end for this?

Totally agree. I am the biggest skeptic and more than a little vocally critical about this band (look me up, you'll see) and I was wholly disappointed on Sunday night, it felt phoned in. But Monday more than made up for it. Personally, I think they read the Boston Globe review of Sunday and came out to say "see, we CAN do it." It was the kick in the ass they needed. They were two totally different shows and I felt the fact they stayed more together on stage and didn't venture off on their own was kind of in response to the "lack of connection" the Globe beat on them for.

I prefer Magnificent over Breathe for an opener, but honestly expected Breathe to pop up later in the setlist, I was surprised when it didn't.

I have to say that Streets is one of their few warhorses that continues to work, night in and night out :up:

They almost killed it during Vertigo with that African chanting thing and the wrong lighting effects but it works really well on this tour...

The more i think about it,the more i think Breathe is the best opener.The drums at the start and Larrys walk on alone has something special about it!

I have to be honest, i jacked larrys drum intro for my bands show :reject: No one noticed so i think i will keep using it, muahahahaha.

You know, Magnificent was a good opener. It was no Zoo Station by ANY means. Elevation (while not as good a song) was definitely a better opener in its day. Magnificent was NOWHERE near Mofo's energy...

I haven't seen Breathe in person yet as the opener, so I can't say, but I won't assume Magnificent was better than that would be.

I like that they're experimenting. Maybe NLOTH will open next time?

I was so thrilled when I saw this morning that Magnificent opened this show! That song was made to open their concerts. My friend was at the show last night.. seeing U2 for the first time and was blown away! Now he wants to see them again in Oklahoma next month.

I misread the Interference homepage and got this thread and another confused... for a second, I thought it said "Finally! Marijuana opens..." :lol:

Am I just hearing things or does he say "sex" change at 00:12 instead of "set" like all the others. :shifty:

People people people....

Magnificent
NLOTH
GOYB
UTEOTW --> (Larry keeps on pounding and goes to...)
Breathe

The more i think about it,the more i think Breathe is the best opener.The drums at the start and Larrys walk on alone has something special about it!

Absolutely :up:

And after watching the You Tube clip of the opening I'm even more convinced that Magnificent is not a good opener. It looks like a very good performance though, but it's not a good way to open the show. And they don't go to the catwalk anymore, which has been parf of the Magnificent performance until now. If that means they'll use the bridges and catwalk even less, I don't think the set changes are that good. I'm so glad I experienced the band on the catwalk when I went to the shows. Magnificent was the first real highlight for me when I was in Milan because I was standing at the catwalk when Bono came down from the bridge. I'm a little sad to see they don't do that anymore.

So I hope Breathe will be back as opener. I don't even see the energy argument. IMO it doesn't matter what you're open with, the energy in the beginning is always incredible. At the shows I went to, people were going crazy for the new songs in the beginning and having the band members come on stage individually for Breathe was just adding to the amazing excitement and tension in the beginning.

I love em both as openers, but Magnificent>Breathe if I had to choose. The difference between the two opening in person was like night and day.

I remember turning to my friend and being confused when they all took the stage at first instead of just Larry going to the drum kit. And then I heard the opening notes of Magnificent, and was like, "Wow!!!" :combust:

I agree on the oh oh oh parts need to be removed if there going to open with it. Maybe have the whole stage pitch black, and the grrr sound every 5 seconds or so the stage lights up and goes pitch black again, and when the drums kick in a massive ray of light. It kinda kills it when they all come on and start signing before the song has even started!

Back
Top Bottom