Edge gives some hints on the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surrender

My thoughts exactly. I want them to revist some songs on the War album besides the "fab 3". I think Seconds, Two Hearts and Surrender could really fit into a setlist.

Surrender = Edge playing steel guitar = :up:

Just when I think I'm becoming a mature adult, talking about U2's potential setlists for an upcoming tour re-awakens the 15 year old boy I used to be, who was getting excited about the upcoming Popmart tour and couldn't wait to see what U2 played!

I know it will never never happen, but Acrobat into Breathe would be amazing. Both in 6/8 or thereabouts, no?

Interesting, not to be a wet blanket on it but I have heard grand talk about the setlist on prior tours. Some of it has come true I guess (IE Electric Co, The Ocean, etc.). But the grand ideas always seem to go somewhat by the wayside once they start rehearsing with the stage set up and lighting. Especially when it comes to dropping previously played songs. (Remember Pride was not going to be played on Popmart until rehearsals and Streets wasnt going to be played on Vertigo until rehearsals). I do like that it is Edge saying these things and not Bono. My hope is that at least a couple of the "grand" ideas survive. Most likely a few will.

Only half the new album is a bit surprising. My guess for songs NOT being played live from the album are Fez/Being Born, White As Snow, Cedars Of Lebanon and Unknown Caller. With the exception of Being Born it wont really bother me as the rest I don't care for that much. I didn't think Being Born would be done anyway prior to hearing this. What I sort of was hoping for was maybe the live version of one of those songs would give it a different feel or life for me and I would enjoy the song more. I guess there will be a song or two more also that wont be done. That will be kind of sad as I think the remainder of the songs should be done live and would be outstanding live. Oh well. If they play a B side live they haven't done before that will make up for it.

PLEASE, let Bullet be one of the warhorses they drop! If they drop Bullet and play a B side that hasn't been done before I know I will be happy with the tour. I probably will anyway, but it will make me that much happier. :)

Well, they did Boots/Magnificent/Breathe/Crazy on the promo tour, so that probably stays. NLOTH they did once on BBC but it's the album opener, so it comes in. I hope we get to hear more NLOTH than this, though this would fit the "about half of the album" talk.

Fez and Cedars are probably too much of a "studio take" to be played live. White as snow may not get played unless they do a B-stage acoustic set.

That leaves:
MOS - Bono said Edge has been working on this one. Perhaps it isn't working out live.
Uknown caller - sure there's synths and a horn but that solo...would they skip that?
Stand up comedy - all about the riff so why skip this one ?

I'd be quite happy to hear all of NLOTH

but if they're dusting off other songs

MLK
Love is Blindness
Gone
Unforgetable Fire
SPanish EYes
One Tree Hill
Staring at the sun
Red Hill Mining Town
Lady with the spinning head
Stay
Lemon

I'll be suprised if we don't a good smattering of hits though

I always thought they abandoned Lemon too quickly. I think that song could be reworked and given a more band-oriented arrangement.

I always thought they abandoned Lemon too quickly. I think that song could be reworked and given a more band-oriented arrangement.

agreed. with Bono's voice being back, i think this would be a great song for them to pull out.

agreed. with Bono's voice being back, i think this would be a great song for them to pull out.

Lemon... :drool:... My favorite song by anyone, ever.

But I really don't see Bono's falsetto being able to handle it... his main voice is fine, but his falsetto hasn't seemed to have improved much (other than that Highway to Hell snippet, which lasted about a second), or at least not nearly enough to sing through Lemon.

I think some of you are taking this "half of the new album" talk too literally. After all, one can expect 7 songs from NLOTH each night, and some of the songs could be put into rotation (like Original of the Species/Yahweh on the last tour, or Crumbs From Your Table being a rarity). The same thing happened with The Bomb.

So, I really doubt they're not going to play Unknown Caller, but I hope that White as Snow and SUC get the shaft, with Cedars making an occasional appearance. Fez-Being Born a regular opener, please!

Edge on Lead - why not Seconds? If they play half of your bring back list, I will officially lose it, especially Mofo and Exit!! Just play ACROBAT and we'll all die happy!! And if they even think about UF stuff, I will just float out of the stadium!! After the last tour, I think they can play anything, I would have bet a gazillion $'s they would have never played An Cat Dubh and they did + The Ocean, cmon!!!!! :)))

Yeah Seconds would be incredable live!
but it might be a song originally sang by Bono,
like on the Popmart done when Edge took lead vocals on Sunday Bloody Sunday,

I think Most people would agree with that bring back list,
theres no denying how good Exit sounds live!!! and Mofo was taking to a new level on the Popmart tour, I find it kinda hard to go back to the album version,

As for ACROBAT!!! & Heartland I bet 99% of people on this forum would be extatic if they made there live debuts on this tour, U2 must know EVERYBODY wants to hear them!!!

yeah the Vertigo Tour was GREAT for dusting of old classics, I never got to hear The Ocean or Gloria live tho :sad:, but The Electric Co blew me away!!!!!!!!
most of the stuff they brought back was from Boy! none of the not so often played gems on The Unforgetable Fire
so this could be the tour where we get to hear them, it would make sense because the next album to be remasterd will be TUF!

Im really hoping they play Unknown Caller from the very first listen I couldnt stop imagining how good it would be the live!!! although Brian Eno has a big presence in the chorus so maybe its not sounding the same without him, although I thought the same about Moment Of Surender another big Eno chorus and there working out how to play that one atm!

If only half the new album is gonna be played the probability imo is......

NLOTH................100% (Cant see why this song wouldnt get played live it sounds like it was written with live perfomances in mind, and to put all doubts to rest check out the performance on the culture show, Perfect!!!!)

Magnificent......... 100% (every night, like COBL)

MOS................... 80% (V Tough vocal for Bono, wont be done every night imo, Prolly a different arangement live too, I dunno what Edge will be doing for most of the song unless he plays the organ/keyboards)

Unknown Caller... 60% (Dunno how this song will be done live, can Bono and Edge handle the huge chorus without Eno and Lanois, maybe Larry and Adam will sing on it too, complex arrangement again with a french horn section, one of the best songs the band have ever done imo I hope they figure it out live and play it every night, I dont think it can be ignored, one of Edge's best solo's will sore and sound incredable live,)

Crazy Tonight.....100% (one of my favs from the album sounded amazing on letterman too (the best song of the week imo, and Edge metioned in the Uncut interview that he had rearranged the song to be more guitar based instead of keyboards, most likely a stapel too, great sing along upbeat quality to it )

Boots................. 100% (every night,the Vertigo of the 360 tour)

Stand Up Comedy.. 80% ( I reckon this will be like All Because Of You on the last tour, played more often than not, but not a staple)

Fez // Being Born.. 50% (Dunno if this song can be performed live, the harmonizing would be too challeging to get right imo, sadly a tune that will be left out imo, although ye never know with U2, maybe Being Born will be done with Fez cut off)

White As Snow...... 40% (v tough song to do live, Doubfull, but if performed I reckon it would vvv rare to hear live, as someone suggested earlier it could be a b-stage stripped down version with just Bono and Edge, but I cant see them recreating the studio version with the french horn and keyboards)

Breathe..................100% (U2 consider it there best song, a staple in the set, for years to come, although I hope hope they dont think its a new WTSHNN, )

Cedars.................. 30% ( I cant see this tune getting played maybe once or twice (hopefully), Its all about Enos and Lanois's atmospherics, doubt they can re create this live)

Got my new RS in the mail today, and didn't see this anywhere else. Does talk about playing some different things, but doesn't sound like its going to be all that much different from the usual u2 setlist.

RS: How much will the show change night to night?
Edge: Our shows start to connect in a very emotional and organic way, and those connections between songs, the segues, start to become like mini-movements or acts within a play. So one or two songs will be different per night, but no like eight songs per night.

So all the wishful thinking of rotating a lot of the warhorses doesn't seem to be in the thinking. Who knows until they actually start playing, but with the relatively short legs and all stadiums, this seems about right.

What I would love to hear:

Drowning Man (ohpleaseohplease)
God Part II
Please

I think the stadium would explode - or at least the fans would - if they played Acrobat :lol: I don't think anyone would really believe it...

I have to agree with some of the other suggestions made in the thread too :) But just the thought that they're looking at/considering songs they haven't played in a while and b-sides... :drool::drool::drool:

What I would love to hear:

Drowning Man (ohpleaseohplease)
God Part II
Please

I think the stadium would explode - or at least the fans would - if they played Acrobat :lol: I don't think anyone would really believe it...

The stadium would explode- from the urine of 65,000 out of 66,000 people going to the bathroom simultaneously. I'm not against rarities in any way, but the band clearly understands what their average fan wants to hear. I've been reading threads like this since Popmart, and they always end the same way.

The stadium would explode- from the urine of 65,000 out of 66,000 people going to the bathroom simultaneously. I'm not against rarities in any way, but the band clearly understands what their average fan wants to hear. I've been reading threads like this since Popmart, and they always end the same way.

You're generalizing. Plenty of casual, average fans do keep an open mind; I barely know anybody who is going to a U2 concert just to hear Pride, One, Streets etc. A lot of people do want to be surprised. Just look at the success of The Electric Co. on the last tour.

U2 fans aren't idiots. There's a shitload of people who go who know songs outside of the certantities. You think Miss Sarajevo's a big hit? No, but 65,000 people don't go to the loo during that.

it was actually misquoted. Eno originally said that about MOS, but then Q Magazine quoted it wrong and every other publication picked up on it.

Oh cool thanks for the info Mikal,

I was always puzzeld thinking it was Breathe doesent seem like a song Eno would like that much, MOS makes much more sense, atmospheric with a kinda gospel chorus, v Eno

There's what 50 or so songs I'd rather hear before Luminous Times, to be perfectly honest. A Celebration, A Day Without Me, Twilight, 11 Oclock Tick Tock (proper speed, not Elevation promo tour slow), I Threw A Brick, Tomorrow, A Sort of Homecoming, Red Hill Mining Town, Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Wild Horses like the way they did it in Amsterdam last tour, Last Night on Earth, Please (full), When I Look At The World, A Man and A Woman, ..and the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom