Will they sell out stadiums in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chino

The Fly
After what we saw on their last stadium tour in the USA (PopMart) I wonder if this time around we will see them sell out all the stadium dates. I can imagine sold out shows at Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, and New York but I wonder about the other dates.

should be interesting to see. THe new album isnt very radio friendly, same as POP mart. I love them both.

difference here is that POP was the 3rd album moving away from the masses over 7 years. With NLOTH they are white hot from their last 2 albums (again with the masses) which were much more radio friendly. that will bring in more people.

I think thats the main reason they havent announced a ton of shows to start off. dont want egg on their face.

Were there multiple shows in each city for Popmart? What if this tour stays at one show per city, would it still not sell out?

Not if they price 10,000 seats a night at $250. Logically, if there were that many people willing to spend that kind of money on U2 tickets, wouldn't there be a lot more paid subscribers to u2.com?

Does anyone know (on average) how many tickets (seats plus GA) we are talking here in the US for these stadiums?

I do think they will sell out NY and LA (especially considering LA is only CA show so will include SD fans, and possibly North. Ca fans and NY has to include Philly fans). I do also think that if a show is on a weekend, it will sell a lot more than if its on a weekday. I know to us diehards that may sound unbelievable, but think about all the casual fans that are needed to sell out stadiums - a lot of them may not want to go to a concert on a weeknight. BTW, I hope I am wrong about this!

I also think a lot of sales will be based on reviews - if the reviews from Europe are that the show is amazing, then it will be a hot ticket. If we get Popmart Part Deux (I don't think this will happen), then I will be up front with the rest of you diehards, and the casual fans won't know what they are missing!:D

should be interesting to see. THe new album isnt very radio friendly, same as POP mart. I love them both

Yes, but let's also remember that critics threw all kinds of crap to POP. With NLOTH critics are praising this album and giving it 5 stars and so on. Let's hope that plays a difference when it comes to ticket sales. It's a bit sad to go to a concert that's almost empty :( .

Not if they price 10,000 seats a night at $250. Logically, if there were that many people willing to spend that kind of money on U2 tickets, wouldn't there be a lot more paid subscribers to u2.com?

Not sure about that. Do you think thousands of people were subscribed to Madonna's fan club or Rolling Stones? Still, people paid for the floor tickets which were up in the $300s or more.

when the rolling stones were on tour the Dow was over 13,000, it is now under 7,000. it's a different world now.

In Hawaii there were quite a few empty seats and that was a pretty small stadium. Albeit in a strange location and a show that had been rescheduled....

I think there's a good chance they will sell out. Charlottesville (pop. 45,000 without students) sold out for the Rolling Stones in 2005 at Scott Stadium. And I think I figured out why Charlottesville was added - Live Nation's director of touring lives there. An article I read says that was the reason they got the Stones to perform there. Fortunately I live 2 hrs away from there.

There has been virtually no media coverage of the tour in the major L.A. media outlets. No mention in the L.A. Times or the Orange County Register. KROQ only mentioned the tour on Tuesday morning (one day after the tour announcement) as an afterthought on the Kevin & Bean morning show during "Ralph's Show Biz Beat." Kevin sounded defensive when he explained his attendance at the U2 radio broadcast in Hollywood the night before.

It's at the 7:40 mark if anyone is interested:

http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/audio.php?dir=audio/-------March%2010%20Tuesday-------&file=02%20Show%20Biz%20Beat-2009-03-10-6%20am

So, no, I don't think getting tickets will be a huge problem. If the band was smart, they would reconsider doing stadiums after the East Rutherford dates.

Giants stadium will sell out in a flash on presales alone: fan clubs, radio stations, ticket outlets and live nation all offer presales....not just u2.com, and people should be happy with whatever seat they get for this venue. NY/LA tix will move fast, but who knows, it's all guessing for now.

There won't be 10,000 seats at $250...the 10,000 seats are the $30 price.

I live here in PHX, this city has been great to U2 going back to Joshua Tree, and I do NOT see them selling out University of Phoenix Stadium. GREAT venue and all, but the economy is in the tank, etc......

I think the shows will eventually sell out, but not in like 10 minutes like the arena shows in 2005.

Thats what I wanted to ask and I may start a thread related to this topic.Will the staduim shows sell out just has fast as the arena shows?For Elevation and Vertigo I had to go thru a ticket agency to get GA seats but they were more expensive than just buying them myself.Problem is I was 2nd in line for Elevation and they sold out before I had a chance to buy them.With Vertigo tour I tried logging on Ticketmaster at 10:00 am but couldnt get through.So Im thinking of trying with my credit card again but should I login like 5 mins before 10:00 am will that work?Since the stadiums are bigger I hope I have better luck this time.

There has been virtually no media coverage of the tour in the major L.A. media outlets. No mention in the L.A. Times or the Orange County Register. KROQ only mentioned the tour on Tuesday morning (one day after the tour announcement) as an afterthought on the Kevin & Bean morning show during "Ralph's Show Biz Beat." Kevin sounded defensive when he explained his attendance at the U2 radio broadcast in Hollywood the night before.

It's at the 7:40 mark if anyone is interested:

http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/audio.php?dir=audio/-------March%2010%20Tuesday-------&file=02%20Show%20Biz%20Beat-2009-03-10-6%20am

So, no, I don't think getting tickets will be a huge problem. If the band was smart, they would reconsider doing stadiums after the East Rutherford dates.

Yes they are just going to go back on years of planning the stage etc etc, (sarcastic)

Thats what I wanted to ask and I may start a thread related to this topic.Will the staduim shows sell out just has fast as the arena shows?For Elevation and Vertigo I had to go thru a ticket agency to get GA seats but they were more expensive than just buying them myself.Problem is I was 2nd in line for Elevation and they sold out before I had a chance to buy them.With Vertigo tour I tried logging on Ticketmaster at 10:00 am but couldnt get through.So Im thinking of trying with my credit card again but should I login like 5 mins before 10:00 am will that work?Since the stadiums are bigger I hope I have better luck this time.

I mean, I just can't see stadiums selling out that fast. You might not get the best seats available right at 10 AM, but I really don't think we are going to see alot of stories on here of people not getting tickets.

Now, I'm sure in a few markets (NYC, LA, etc) the stadiums might sell out relatively fast. I also think that those markets will add second shows, thus increasing the chance of scoring tickets. In other markets, I suspect it may be weeks before the shows sell out, if at all.

I think NY,LA, Boston and Chicago will definitly sell out quickly. Not so sure about Oklahoma.

I mean, I just can't see stadiums selling out that fast. You might not get the best seats available right at 10 AM, but I really don't think we are going to see alot of stories on here of people not getting tickets.

Now, I'm sure in a few markets (NYC, LA, etc) the stadiums might sell out relatively fast. I also think that those markets will add second shows, thus increasing the chance of scoring tickets. In other markets, I suspect it may be weeks before the shows sell out, if at all.

Yah especially if they dont play the Bay Area until next year then they definitely should add a second LA show.

Unfortunately, I can't see this tour ending up as anything other than PopMart part 2 in the eyes of the media. Just like "only" selling 480K copies of NLOTH in its first week is being spun as a disappointed, playing to anything less than capacity crowds every night is going to be positioned as a failure.

It won't matter whether the concert is any good or not - all that will be remembered by the press is the band didn't sell out in Tampa, Norman, Phoenix, etc. Just look at how PopMart is described now. It's sad, but true.

In Hawaii there were quite a few empty seats and that was a pretty small stadium. Albeit in a strange location and a show that had been rescheduled....

That show sold-out in the sense that every ticket sold... they didn't, however, put every seat up for sale.

i believe seats right behind the soundbooth will not be put up for sale, you can see this from the venue details pages (sections are greyed out)

the boxes at certain venues might get sold as premium seats for corporations and high rollers (haha)

No, U2 is not a Stadium Band any Longer, that ended with the Zoo Tv Tour plus there is a recession going on in the U.S. which is more important than anything at the moment. U2 will depend very heavily on it's fanbase & smart promoting to get the shows sold out, but I don't think it's going to happen. With disappointing Album sales & the fact there are no Big songs on this album such as "Beautiful Day" "With or without you", "Still Haven't found", etc...I don't see any of the shows selling out except in the Larger cities & even that could go either way.

No, U2 is not a Stadium Band any Longer, that ended with the Zoo Tv Tour plus there is a recession going on in the U.S. which is more important than anything at the moment. U2 will depend very heavily on it's fanbase & smart promoting to get the shows sold out, but I don't think it's going to happen. With disappointing Album sales & the fact there are no Big songs on this album such as "Beautiful Day" "With or without you", "Still Haven't found", etc...I don't see any of the shows selling out except in the Larger cities & even that could go either way.

Where on earth did you get "dissapointing album sales" from? nearly 500k in March, in the middle of a recession, outselling the top 10 combined, and they are "dissapointing",

the amount of people that try and cause panic before every tour is quite un-real.

I am 49 & I have been following the band since 1980...trust me U2 is past it's prime & I went to the show in Tampa back in 1997 & it was halfull. Yes Popmart was not a success, but I went to the Joshua Tree Giants Stadium Shows in 1987 & Outside Broadcast shows in 1992 & those were pretty well sold out, but I don't see these shows selling out outside of the BIGGER cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom