U2 Tour announcements of the past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
This might be covered in another thread. but i could not find it at the moment.

Does anyone remember when the first announcement of the tour was in relation to the release date of the album? I'm probably just more interested in Elevation and Vertigo since those seem to be how u2 currently handles things.

ALSO, regarding different legs of the tour. Does anyone remember when the 3rd and 4th legs get announced? From what I remember of Elevation, the 3rd Leg (US in the Fall) wasnt announced till after the 2nd leg ended (after sept 11). At the time, did we all think that perhaps that Slane show was the end of the tour? Or had there been some comment about playing more shows in America? What about 3rd and 4th leg of Vertigo?

I wish i had a better memory for this stuff.....

I think I remember the 3rd leg of Elevation being announced on 9/10/01. I remember mulling the idea around in my head about going back east, since I'd have had a free place to stay & possibly a free ticket to the show. Then 9/11 struck... and I thought it best to just catch them when they came to town (L.A.). Didn't want to fly at that point. I think that's correct, but I could be mistaken...

I think I remember the 3rd leg of Elevation being announced on 9/10/01. I remember mulling the idea around in my head about going back east, since I'd have had a free place to stay & possibly a free ticket to the show. Then 9/11 struck... and I thought it best to just catch them when they came to town (L.A.). Didn't want to fly at that point. I think that's correct, but I could be mistaken...

That's what I remember too, then they postponed the on sales for a week, I think. They announced much of the 3rd leg of Vertigo much earlier - March 7, 2005 with tix on sale shortly thereafter! U2.com confirmed the 4th leg of Vertigo on November 9, 2005, but the actual dates and onsales dribbled out over November, 2005 - January, 2006

Oh and with regard to the initial tour announcements, Elevation's was made January 9, 2001 and Vertigo on January 23, 2005 although it was initially supposed to be made about 2 weeks earlier.

I would make a bet that this tour will be announced the week of or week after the album release...

I think the 3rd leg of Vertigo was announced so early due to the fiasco that U2.com caused with the first leg. In U2 by U2, the band said this was what kept them in arenas when they wanted to play stadiums on that third leg.

I was able to speak very briefly to Paul McGuinness yesterday as he was getting into his car at the hotel to go to the Grammys. I asked him when the tour would be announced and he said "mid March". I then asked if it was stadiums only and he said "yes".

I was able to speak very briefly to Paul McGuinness yesterday as he was getting into his car at the hotel to go to the Grammys. I asked him when the tour would be announced and he said "mid March". I then asked if it was stadiums only and he said "yes".

The devil is in the details. As far as we know, this tour announcement could be just for the European Leg. A mid-March announcement, an end of March ticket sale, 3 months till the first gig. That puts it at the end of June at the earliest. I really don't believe that a NA tour announcement is coming out so soon. We'll see.

edit - I just noticed that these thoughts are completely in line with the Spain rumours (end of June/ early July).

on the net you see several time about U2 in Paris & Nice (10&11 juli / 15 juli)
i'll think that is't true about the date :drool:

Back
Top Bottom