The CLAW Part 4 - (INCL. SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
The Claw just wants to be fed with:

The Claw just wants to be fed with:

- MOFO
- The Fly
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- Until The End Of The World
- Discotheque
- Lemon
- Desire (full band!)

Come on, I understand the band is also a little nervous about this and relies a little on their auto-pilot and (apart from UF and UV) play the songs they're most comfortable with... for tours and tours unfortunately...

But let's be honest: whoever sees this fantastic monstrous stage for the first time and what it can do: ISHFWILF, SBS, Angel Of Harlem, Pride, With Or Without You:yawn: are NOT the first songs that come to mind! All nice songs for a stripped down concept like Vertigo, but not for this monster.
I'm sure that "the monster will eat them" with twiddlee-doo songs like ISHFWILF, Angel Of Harlem, and With Or Without You.
The epic tracks are luckely there: Streets, UF, Unknown Caller, Ultraviolet, Magnificent... It just lacks a few songs that really shake up the pillows, make the stage and audience rumble and roar and make this fantastic concept really work to the fullest.
Really, it just doesn't make sense that with all the possibilities they have with this stage they STILL come up with old and long dead warhorses like Pride, SBS, WOWY, ISHFWILF, Angel Of Harlem... I'm curious if they left these songs out how many people would REALLY miss them when they would be replaced by some other songs from their huge back-catalog!

I hope they are willing to be a little more daring and pull out HMTMKMKM, MOFO, The Fly Or UTEOFW! This stage could explode due to this songs!
Come U2, don't be afraid to risk a few flaws in playing these songs just see that those are the songs that will blow everybody out of their socks... even your own!

And this is not a bitching thread I just hope that this dress rehearsal setlist will quickly have a few positive changes, and I hope U2 themselves will come to this conclusion too when it comes to what this stage can do with the right "monstertracks" being played.

Forget a little bit more about the casual U2 spectator (I won't say U2 fan!) and rely a little bit more on us "real" U2-fans... I mean, we're not asking for the really obscure stuff like: Slug, Walk To The Water, Stateless:drool:, or even Lady With The Spinning Head..
But these other songs mentioned would simply make the Claw shake on it's legs and would make this tour a real rollercoaster ride!!!

We wait....

this could probably go in another thread.

while i'd love to hear these songs too, i'm just going to enjoy what the band is playing.

- MOFO
- The Fly
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- Until The End Of The World
- Discotheque
- Lemon
- Desire (full band!)

yep i would agree with that!

id add

God Part II
Hawkmoon 269
Exit
Desire (Full Band w/ Rock n Roll Star Snippet & solo) :drool:
Dirty Day
Last Night on Earth

But based on the standard set-list (published, see below)...it does seem a little weak, for a stadium tour, the band wants energy flowing all around them but this rehearsal setlist seems more mellow than usual...I just don't understand why they chose this set-list to complement the state of art visuals a la The Claw...If Mysterious Ways is acoustic as rumored, the only rocker songs are the first 5, the rest are fairly slow minus Vertigo and Crazy....no way this is real....this is just too slow. <I'm just guessing guys, I know we haven't seen the real thing.....but I can't help myself I'm too excited for this tour to start!>

I'm sure they're holding back a lot, I don't believe this is the real setlist, I just don't buy it.
happy.gif

U2 kick off world tour with something Nou - News, Music & Gigs - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

U2 360 TOUR: THE PROBABLE SET LIST
Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Drowning Man
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
Walk On
(Desmond Tutu speech)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

I'm not a big fan of:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Drowning Man
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways (Acoustic?Why?)
In A Little While

While this is a nice selection of songs I think it might bring the show down

& then

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
Walk On
(Desmond Tutu speech)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

SBS, Pride, & One has just been played out. But...

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day

Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

Are great :up:

OK - first show is underway and the secrets are slowly coming out of the top hat.

1. The bridges move.
2. Larry rotates
3. The screen is unbelievable as it expands, and yes those genius bastards also lined the inside of the scissor mechanism with LEDs so when it expands, it gets lit from the interior...

Anyone who has photos/vide/etc - please post here.

It looks incredible...

I do think, however (to be critical), that the back part of the pitch looks pretty barren and loaded with junk. Looks like there is a real seperation between the band and the seats behind the stage. They really should sell more GA and Redzone to fill this area with bodies to get the full 360 effect.

For me personally, I love the rockin songs and I'd be totally content with an entire show of rockers. I can see how the Claw just fits better with rockin songs, but you know that could never happen. U2 has too many staple ballads to ever get rid of them.

Ouizy, we should check TM for ticket drops in GA

No shit - I am going to try to find some Redzone tickets after that fiasco and then throw my lower tiers on Ebay.

Hate to be honest here, but if night after night Redzone is empty I am going to do my damndest to get down there. (this may include jumping the wall at Giants Stadium.)

OK - so now what we need in this thread is what happened and when. We have speculated so much about what the stage was going to do - did it?

When was Larry rotated?

When did the bridges come out?

How?

Mechanically or by hand?

How often did the screen expand?

How were the visuals?

Were the perimeter cameras remote controlled?

Any surprises?

My only thought (aside from being altogether impressed) seeing the clips of the Claw in action is that they've got to get the visuals more in sync with the songs they're playing.

It's great that the new setup can have 8 different color lights going in each direction with a bunch of trippy visuals swirling around on the screen, but what I've loved about past tours are the trademark visuals/colors for each song.

From clips for songs like the Unforgettable Fire there's just too much going on at once to mesh together the visuals with the music...:hmm:

But I remember going to early Vertigo indoor shows and then returning months later and seeing a MUCH different show/dramatic improvements to the way the light curtains were being used. I anticipate the tech/visual guys are going to be working overtime the next few weeks to see what is and isn't working and make it loads better—can't wait for Amsterdam/Dublin!

Back
Top Bottom