Norman, Houston, Dallas - PreSale & General Sale Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have a copy of their tickets for Norman handy? For some reason, I had an extra pair that I got through the fanclub presale, which I bought at 10:00am on Tuesday, April 14th. Since Ticketmaster didn't print the word "FAN" on them, the buyer thinks that my tickets are fakes or something. Does anyone have any Norman tickets bought through the pre-sale that have the word "fan" on them?

I have presale Norman tickets and they do not say FAN on them.

Dallas - Another stadium gig?

you didn't miss a thing by skipping that Pop show at the Cotton Bowl. Worst U2 show I've ever seen. :sad:

That's what kind of scares me...I've never seen them at a stadium...and while I bet it's great in Dublin, Sao Paulo or 100 other cities, it doesn't seem like "the vibe" which was barely discernible last time at a mere arena will make an appearance at this gig...tho in my last post I did say it has more to do with the band and how they adjust if the crowd is lame. Doesn't matter in the long run...I still get to see my heroes and up close no less and I will have my family with me and that's what truly matters...I hope the rest of Dallas will recognize the greatness in front of them and pay them the attention deserved.

cya there.

That's what kind of scares me...I've never seen them at a stadium...and while I bet it's great in Dublin, Sao Paulo or 100 other cities, it doesn't seem like "the vibe" which was barely discernible last time at a mere arena will make an appearance at this gig...tho in my last post I did say it has more to do with the band and how they adjust if the crowd is lame. Doesn't matter in the long run...I still get to see my heroes and up close no less and I will have my family with me and that's what truly matters...I hope the rest of Dallas will recognize the greatness in front of them and pay them the attention deserved.

cya there.

it was a few different things. the Cotton Bowl was a dump of a stadium. it was very early in the tour and the band wasn't ready to tour. the show was choppy and the setlist was very questionable. And then there was the whole karaoke "Daydream Believer" debacle! I'm over it now...kinda. :wink:

I saw Joshua Tree and Zoo TV in stadiums and those were both really good shows. The Zoo show was at Texas Stadium and it rocked. :applaud:

Jerry World will rock and I wish I was going to that one!

ya, good point. ^^

Texas Stadium > Cotton Bowl > Cowboys Stadium

I guess I should have thought about getting a ticket for the Jerry World show so I could complete the trifecta of U2 stadiums shows in Dallas. :hmm:

Not sure if there was a Joshua Tree stadium show in Dallas. If there was, I'm guessing it would have been at Texas Stadium. I was living in a different part of the country back then.

I wonder why Texas Stadium wasn't used for Pop?

the JT shows were at the tarrant county convention center in fort worth

-dan

I bet they couldn't use Texas Stadium for POP cause of football. And they probably couldn't squeeze in another time, and Cotton holds more

SMB

the show was in may, football wouldn't have been an issue.

according to the good folks at wikipedia, the cotton bowl can hold a little under 30k more (not including the field) so that may be it.

-dan

according to the good folks at wikipedia, the cotton bowl can hold a little under 30k more (not including the field) so that may be it.

-dan

well it didnt sell out did it? So avail seating shouldnt have been an issue.

-dan

The Cotton Bowl went through some major renovations last year and the seating capacity increased. That difference of 30,000 was probably closer to 10,000 in 1997.

Zoo TV wasn't full at Texas Stadium so I don't know why they thought they needed to play a larger venue for Pop.

It'd be pretty shameful if they played a crappier venue just to try to sell a few extra tickets.

^^ and I blame the promoters for that.

I wonder if they will be able to use the 60-Yard HD screen that will hang over the field at Jerry World for the concert? The upper deck folks might be "closer" than they think if they can see the show on the world's largest HD screen! :hmm:

it will be pulled down and tucked away for the show.

where they 'tuck away' a 60 yard screen would be interesting to see.

-dan

I have seen U2 here every tour since UFF ('85 front row center - 1st ever scalper tix)...through Vertigo tho' I missed Zoo and Pop due to starving artist issues. Every show (crowd wise) was amazing except for the Vertigo tour (from just outside the elipse) where the crowd seemed very "rich." It just felt like the entirety of the crowd didn't really catch the vibe that is necessary for a successful U2 show. That changed when Bono pulled Sunjay Devarajan out of the crowd to do Angel of Harlem and the energy level was through the roof through the end of the show.

The whole point is, you have to count on the band to gauge things and make the adjustments that ups the energy and makes the show exciting...I have never been completely disappointed in a U2 show and don't know if I ever will be...even in Dallas. Just my 2 cents.

Hope to see you here...I will be...Red Zone...I can't leave getting close to the stage to chance as my 11 year old son (his 2nd show) and 5 foot tall wife (her 3rd) will be there with me so this is the best way to make everyone happy. I can't wait!!!! :bonodrum:

I've been to 4 U2 concerts in Dallas. The last tour in 2005, I thought the audience was great! In fact, while everyone was exiting, we were still all singing "40" and I felt a certain unity. Other concerts, I don't recall anything about the audience, just the concert itself. I think there are plenty of die hard fans in Dallas and the energy will be just fine.

i was at the 2005 show as well, along with a pair of shows at Reunion Arena in 2001. I thought the crowd energy in 05 was pretty good, though i perfer the 2001 shows. Nothing beats hanging out with Gwen Stefani in the :heart:

The JerryWorld screen goes directly under ground.
Right below where it hangs is a movable door in the ground.
It lowers onto the door/platfoor, and then the platfoorm is lowered.
A new door/floor is put on top .

The new stadium is simply fantastic. The stage looks like it will fit perfectly since the two arches in JerryWorld look like the same person created the stage and the
stadium.

This should be the DVD shoot. It will be a perfect fit. AN dthe stadium will e know worldwide its that unbelievable.

I saw pics from the George Strait show, my buddy went. And the first part of the show took place while still daylight and the roof was closed but all the massive windows let in all this day light, it was extremely distracting. Major design flaw. Now it won't matter for the U2 show because it will be October and more than likely the roof will be opened, but that sucks for summer concerts.

The Cowboys Stadium had it's first show on Saturday, George Strait and friends. Other than expected glitches in concessions, traffic, etc., the biggest red flag I saw from concert goers was how bad the acoustics were. Hopefully this is addressed by October....

reading some of the comments i guess the sound was terrible, hopefully they get that figured out between now and October. Also parking looks like a clusterfuck.

1st of all that George Strait concert was completly thrown together for the opening of the new stadium.
SOOO:
1) They had a horrible design for the stage and sound.
2) The time spent putting that show together was very loose.
3) The Huge Screen gets loweded directly under ground from where it hangs.

The height of U2's stage is way too tall to even think of having both together.

4) U2's show has been designed and thought about for 3 years.
That means
A) Uprigging and tearing down is all thought of.
B) Acoustics in stadiums and domes will be taken care of. (This is not some country thrown together crew) This is the same crew U2 has used for 20 years.
C)Its going to be fantastic.

**BTW** The windows are not a design flaw. Many stadiums allow light in when the sun is out. Take a look at pictures from the Vertigo Outdoor shows in Europe.
There is always a bit of sun at the beginning of the shows. But as the night goes the lights become better and better. But you are right October 9 oclock will be plenty dark. But it is definatly not a design flaw. It was done with intention.

THIS WILL NOT BE A FUCKING GEORGE STRAIT SHOW!!!!!

B) Acoustics in stadiums and domes will be taken care of. (This is not some country thrown together crew) This is the same crew U2 has used for 20 years.
There's only so much their crew can do, the rest is up to the acoustics of the stadium. Popmart in the Alamodome was one of the worse concerts sound wise I've ever been to, they just have horrible acoustics.

So we'll see how well they did with this new stadium.

**BTW** The windows are not a design flaw. Many stadiums allow light in when the sun is out. Take a look at pictures from the Vertigo Outdoor shows in Europe.

But it is definatly not a design flaw. It was done with intention.

Speaking as someone who has a degree in arcrhitecture, I think it's a design flaw(intention or not). Stadiums are used for so many different types of events and they should be designed to accomodate all of them. Some of those events are going to require a dark setting so lighting, screens, etc aren't effected. If you have the ability to control the light i.e. retractable roof, you should have had the ability to control the light from the windows as well.

are you trying to say that jerry spent a billion dollars on a stadium with a design flaw? not quite.

if you look at University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale and Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, both of those have glass behind one endzone to allow natural light. it is a feature being added in to these newer stadiums.

while the stadiums may be used for different events, football is the #1 priority.

-dan

are you trying to say that jerry spent a billion dollars on a stadium with a design flaw? not quite.

if you look at University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale and Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, both of those have glass behind one endzone to allow natural light. it is a feature being added in to these newer stadiums.

while the stadiums may be used for different events, football is the #1 priority.

-dan

I'm glad you brought up the U of P stadium because it has the capability to have that window closed, perfect example.

Thanks.:wink:

-dan

the only design flaw in that new stadium will be the coach on the sidelines. Yeah Wade Phillips is a good guy and all, but c'mon Jerry the Boys need Shanahan, Cowher, or Holmgren. Sure Wade could prove me wrong and win it all this year, but i doubt it. Though maybe with "the player" gone they just might. Or maybe Shanahan or Holmgren whispered something in Jerry's ear...

the only design flaw in that new stadium will be the coach on the sidelines. Yeah Wade Phillips is a good guy and all, but c'mon Jerry the Boys need Shanahan, Cowher, or Holmgren. Sure Wade could prove me wrong and win it all this year, but i doubt it. Though maybe with "the player" gone they just might. Or maybe Shanahan or Holmgren whispered something in Jerry's ear...

getting rid of that player was a dumb move! what he brought to the team on field cannot be matched by many...

Back
Top Bottom