Is this the BEST tour yet...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazza

War Child
Better than ZooTv, better than POP?. You have to admit it's up there - the stage is amazing and the band seem very energetic etc...

ZooTv was alot more creative but i think i rank this second to Zoo...

agree?

so far it's a lot of flash but not as heavy on the substance as previous tours like Zoo Tv or even PopMart so I would probably rank it below both of those right now. It's early on though and I don't think we have really seen it's full capabilities yet.

I will need to see it in person to really judge it though...

If you think this tour is better than the Joshua Tree tour then I don't know what to say to you. Unless size of stage and utilization of technology, organically or not, is what makes a tour great. For me, I'll take a band at the peak of their powers, supporting one of the greatest albums of all-time.

But that's just me!

popmart > every other tour by all artists/groups in history, past and future

-dan

I think best tour will always be defined individually by how much you like the album being supported and the live performances of those songs.

For me right now, I'm torn between Zoo TV and 360. Even though Pop is probably my favorite album and I went to a boatload of those shows, I never thought the live performances of those songs was spectacular. I think the AB and NLOTH songs on their two respective tours are much stronger thus far.

I think

a. it's a little to early to say that and
b. "best tour" is totally subjective. Every fan likes different tours/shows for different reasons

If you think this tour is better than the Joshua Tree tour then I don't know what to say to you. Unless size of stage and utilization of technology, organically or not, is what makes a tour great. For me, I'll take a band at the peak of their powers, supporting one of the greatest albums of all-time.

But that's just me!

ladies and gentleman....we have a winner!:applaud:

ladies and gentleman....we have a winner!:applaud:

No matter how big the stage gets or how bright the lights get the Joshua Tree can never be topped nor can lyrics like that most likely ever be written again. NLOTH is a good disc but is nowhere in the atmosphere of the Joshua Tree.

-dan

Agreed, very high energy show, and artistically their most impressive tour.

No matter how big the stage gets or how bright the lights get the Joshua Tree can never be topped nor can lyrics like that most likely ever be written again. NLOTH is a good disc but is nowhere in the atmosphere of the Joshua Tree.

I have to disagree, Achtung Baby blows JT outta the water! :D

But 360 still looks amazing, and I can't wait to see it live, so happy U2 is back in stadiums!

I'll wait till the tour hit it's stride...

Let's remember ZooTV took awhile to really develop it's theme, and well most of us remember how PopMart started, so I'm gonna wait and see it has the potential to be...

Then you just answered your own question about why people want to hear Drowning Man.

Well it wasn't really a question, just me stating that I don't understand the big deal about it. But if U2 should play it, I'll be happy. I'm actually happy with everything they decide to play. It's just not a song I'd prefer over other songs.

But that's just me!

See...I just can't relate to that, because at the time of the JT Tour...there is so much U2 that did not exist...like...far too much to call it their best ever...

you do realize that Popmart featured many of Bono's lowest moments in the history of his singing career?

-dan

Agreed, very high energy show, and artistically their most impressive tour.

But 360 still looks amazing, and I can't wait to see it live, so happy U2 is back in stadiums!

You're telling me Popmart is artistically more incredible than 360?

Regardless, it's too early to tell and also, the band are in much better form now then than they were during Popmart...Bono's voice was shot for much of the tour. Even if you really do prefer Popmart artistically to 360, how can you prefer Popmart when taking all things into account like Bono's voice? 360 Bono owns Popmart Bono.

See...I just can't relate to that, because at the time of the JT Tour...there is so much U2 that did not exist...like...far too much to call it their best ever...

And yet, I'm calling it their best ever. :shrug:

Or, to be fair, the best tour of theirs I've seen in person. Because I find it hard to judge tours I did not attend. I've been to well over 40 of their shows, spanning every tour since JT and that's just how I feel. Zoo TV gives it a run for its money since Achtung Baby is another amazing album
in my opinion

And yet, I'm calling it their best ever. :shrug:

Or, to be fair, the best tour of theirs I've seen in person. Because I find it hard to judge tours I did not attend. I've been to well over 40 of their shows, spanning every tour since JT and that's just how I feel. Zoo TV gives it a run for its money since Achtung Baby is another amazing album
in my opinion

well........If you think JT tour is better than 360 Tour, I don't know what to say to you, because this tour basically just got underway. JT Tour ended about 21 years ago. Calling JT Tour the better tour at this point is pretty much meaningless. :shrug:

well........If you think JT tour is better than 360 Tour, I don't know what to say to you, because this tour basically just got underway. JT Tour ended about 21 years ago. Calling JT Tour the better tour at this point is pretty much meaningless. :shrug:

Rob, I'm not the one that started a thread asking if this was the best tour yet, am I? But, the question is being asked, no?

Is that not the thread title, Rob? And my answer, to the question being asked, IN THE THREAD TITLE, is a resounding "no".

I mean, you did read the thread title, right?

I'll wait till the tour hit it's stride...

Let's remember ZooTV took awhile to really develop it's theme, and well most of us remember how PopMart started, so I'm gonna wait and see it has the potential to be...

Good point

Personally I don't think anything will top ZooTV. Of course I never actually saw it, but the strength of the concept/visuals/look (well, I think U2 looked pretty cool :D ) AND the innovation AND the songs AND the band's performance (Bono sounded great, amazing solos from Edge like LIB for example) ... it's hard to imagine it getting better than that.

I'm biased toward Popmart because of the songs (also great visuals), but of course Bono's voice makes it not their ultimate best. probably my second favourite tour though because Pop is my favourite album. sadly another tour I did not see

and Vertigo was a great tour I think, but 360 may be better. I'll have to judge when I see it, and as BVS said once the tour has really hit its stride. we're still pretty early in.

But that's just me!

I have to agree.

I think this show is less theatrical than ZOO / Popmart which makes me happy, at the same time I think 360 is going to be great because we are going to hear some fantastic songs.

However, I was at the height of my love for the band in 1987, and seeing them from probably the top row of the absolutely packed stadium was one of the best days of my life.

Good point

Personally I don't think anything will top ZooTV. Of course I never actually saw it, but the strength of the concept/visuals/look (well, I think U2 looked pretty cool :D ) AND the innovation AND the songs AND the band's performance (Bono sounded great, amazing solos from Edge like LIB for example) ... it's hard to imagine it getting better than that.

I'm biased toward Popmart because of the songs (also great visuals), but of course Bono's voice makes it not their ultimate best. probably my second favourite tour though because Pop is my favourite album. sadly another tour I did not see

and Vertigo was a great tour I think, but 360 may be better. I'll have to judge when I see it, and as BVS said once the tour has really hit its stride. we're still pretty early in.

I do agree that the answer to the question cannot truly be rendered for many months.

It's a tough call for me and one I can't make fully until I see them in Tampa, but....it just seems that the stage and setup warrants an aggressiveness that just isn't there. Both PopMart and ZooTV had ambitious stages that were fully backed up by gritty performances. This one seems to go for the spectacle of those two shows, but backs it up with a way more airy and light show that seems to create a certain awkwardness. A certain...emptyness.

Now I'm not saying it's bad by a long shot. It's still awesome don't get me wrong. But THIS seems like a show way more deserving of an intimate arena crowd than Vertigo.

To me nothing can top ZooTV..granted I never saw it live..but watching video and listening to audio over the years..It's my favorite U2 tour I never actually saw live..(if that is possible)

Will 360 be even better? I think it really is too soon for me to tell, so far looks great, but I thought the same thing when I saw clips from Popmart,Elevation and Vertigo when I saw them live I loved each of them individually for my own reasons.
I will let you know..after the tour :wink:

Rob, I'm not the one that started a thread asking if this was the best tour yet, am I? But, the question is being asked, no?

Is that not the thread title, Rob? And my answer, to the question being asked, IN THE THREAD TITLE, is a resounding "no".

I mean, you did read the thread title, right?

ah, well it seemed pretty clear to me that you believe JT tour is better than this tour, and I was just saying that you can't accurately say that at this point, which apparently you agree with....it's cool :)

But that's just me!

Seconded.

I think best tour will always be defined individually by how much you like the album being supported and the live performances of those songs.

I don't think so at all. I like NLOTH much, much more than HTDAAB and think its songs have improved live to the same degree or more than HTDAAB's did, yet right now I'd take Vertigo over 360 without hesitation.

To answer the original post, I'm enjoying a lot of aspects of this tour, and Amsterdam II was a fantastic show. I furthermore agree with those who think it's far too early to make a judgement call, and the way Amsterdam II was a step up from previous concerts indicates to me that this tour is still building to better things. However, at the moment, I rank the 360 Tour quite lowly (not as lowly as the Elevation Tour, mind you). I don't tend to rate U2's stadium tours all that highly anyway. Or even their stadium SHOWS; I much enjoyed the first leg arena gigs on Vertigo more than the fifth leg stadium gigs, and when it comes to Lovetown, it pains me to say this, but the four stadium gigs in New Zealand may have been some of the tour's weakest (which means, in my opinion, they still slayed most shows U2 has played on any other tour, but still!).

I was at the last two shows in Amsterdam and I was totally blown away, it's easily their best tour of this century, possibly even better yhan Popmart. However Zoo TV, Joshua Tree and Lovetown were all better in my opinion. I've been to sixty odd U2 gigs, ZOO TV, inside and outside broadcast were by far the best, with Lovetown and Joshua Tree coming next. 360 is easily the best this decade.

Having seen one show (but come saturday, that'll change) - I can say one thing for certain - it's miles better than Vertigo.

I think this will be up there with the very best, just look at the songs they're churning out, they're on top form, but it's too early to say. But it will be hard to top this. I don't U2 will do stadiums after this - they will leave at the top.

Personally I think the October tour was the best. The band haven't been is as good form since. The stage show was just amazing. And this is coming from someone who has followed them since day dot. I saw them perform at Mount Temple. True story.

Back
Top Bottom