Ear plugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ear plugs for the tour?

• Total voters
Thinking about it, I have a one hour commute from home to work...and I always blast the radio; I should use them in the car? :hmm:

I tried to use them but they were really uncomfortable and ruined the sound pretty badly, probably because they didn't fit properly. I had the foamy ones you roll and then let expand in your ear..

I use earplugs for indoor and outdoor shows and always carry a pair with me. The sound has seemed better to me since I started using earplugs, less background noise and such.

Sometimes earplugs shut out the jabbering from the moron close by who won't stop talking, too. :up::up::up:

M

I have never used them and my hearing is fine so far.

I've never used earplugs for concerts. Earplugs are for wussies.

(kidding :wink:)

I use earplugs when my neighbors annoying freaking dog wont stop barking while I'm trying to sleep. :up:

Big Wussie Here:

I have said this before and I will say it again - it only takes one random moment of one random show that can set off tinnitus.

We all know what it is, but if not, tinnitus is the CONSTANT ringing in your ears for which there is no documented cure.

I got tinnitus years back when I went to a NIN and a U2 show both in one week. it was not pleasant. After years of taking a variety of medications, acupunture, books etc. it went away.

THEN

I went to the Janes/NIN show this summer and thinking it would be an outdoor show coupled with the fact that that show was actually not that big or loud I did not wear earplugs. Guess what - small ringing back in my ears.

I have to suggest very strongly that everyone wear earplugs.

Even if you do not want to wear them through the whole show, you should definitely bring a pair.

I typically wear them for about 95% of the show. I always like to pop them out for a minute or two during my favorite songs so I can hear the sound as the band wants us to, but I have to tell you the songs are much much clearer with them in.

Lauramullen - I cringe every time I read posts like this because tinnitus is such a random thing. Your ears could be fine one day and then boom - you can have ringing for the rest of your life.

Kind of like a game of Russian roulette.

My 2 cents

Really? Weird.

Yep. The earplugs cut the lower frequencies which brings the melody to the forefront, making the songs sound "clearer". There's a reason why concert videos recorded on cell phones with no volume control are so bass-heavy.

I must've had crappy ones when I used them, because the sound was horrible! I'll try to find some good ones before October. :up:

You should make sure you use ones that are designed for music, if you're just using ordinary ones sound quality will suffer. You want ones designed to make things quieter (as in turning down the volume on your stereo) as opposed to ones that are designed to block as much sound as possible

I already have bad allergies that affect my sinuses. I need to go to a ear nose and throat doctor, but I don't have health insurance. To put ear plugs in really irritates my ears. They make them itch

Only time Ive had a bit problem with hearing after a show was some battle of the bands I went to in high school. My ears were pretty good after Glasgows show. :)

Except of course the LONG TERM DAMAGES. D: But hey, the damage = pleasure. :wink:

I have a pair of custom made earplugs that costs £150.

I have worn them once so far but forgot to take them for U2. I would have probably used them for support bands and kept them off for U2

They do affect the sound a bit, mainly they seem to cut out soem of the 'atmosphere' and most likely the bass

i wore them in a very loud indoor gig and after i came out i had no ringing in my ears at all, so a good pair can definitley protect your ears

Hey guys, I just want to add my little story to try to convince you all to use ear plugs. After the Boston show back in the Vertigo tour I had the "normal" ringing in my ears, but this time it never went away. To this day I still have a ringing in my ears. It's a condition called Tinitus, and it's pretty damn life-altering. It took me about two years to be able to fall asleep normally.

Please, take my advice and wear plugs. To me, the concerts actually sound better because you filter out a LOT of the overpressure distortion anyway.

Advocate for plugs

I'm an advocate for plugs as well (ear plugs...not hair plugs). I very much agree that the overall sound quality is better with the plugs. Sure you might lose some of the bass, but the other frequency improvements make up for it. Plus you don't have ringing in your ears for hours afterward.

I use earplugs I have very sensitive ears, particulary to loud sounds and pressure like flying and swimming. You can blame that on ear infections growing up. Now that doesn't stop me from listening to loud music and what not. I usually don't wearthem for concerts but at the last one I went to I couldn't enjoy the whole show because my ears started killing me so bad. Now I wear them.

I hate anything in my ears, but macks safe sound earplugs are the best I think and cheap. The are very soft and work great I can still hear the show just fine just dont have to suffer with the ringing and pain anymore. They come in packs and what not. I reccomand them. I also use them for flying as well.
macks_safe_sound.jpg

I have never worn earplugs and I have been to a LOT of concerts.

Nobody I have ever been to a concert with has worn them either?

Have to say though, I have had the ringing in the ears a couple of times (99% of the time it's been straight after concerts though) and it's a bit worrying but all good at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom