Cameras: Just an Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here is something to bear in mind, many times people cellphones ESPECIALLY IN EUROPE ruin the concert tapers results, as it causes interference with there mics that makes lots of annoying blips that renders the recording useless.....If your that same guy who is on the forums 24 hours later looking for a recording of the show you sat and texted/took crappy low res photos during the entire concert, chances are your actions helped ruin a recording somewhere near you. So when you cant find it, you have nothing but your texting to blame....watch the show

I do agree with you. Though I do want to get SOME pictures, I agree that spending the WHOLE ENTIRE time snapping pics of the band is just wasting the time you could be enjoying/watching the show!

Haha :up:

Take pictures or don't take pictures. Talk on the phone all night with your friends (the sound of the band will drown you out, and I won't hear you, anyway) or don't. Drink your face off or don't. I'll be too busy enjoying the show, and probably snapping a few pictures myself, to notice what anyone else is doing.

Seriously, what is this preoccupation lately with what others are doing? :huh: If that impacts your enjoyment of the show in any way, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to the show, yourself. Live and let live, people.

I get ya. But the fact is that while the idea of "live and let live" is nice, when person 1's actions infringe upon person 2's viewing or listening of an event, person 1 has crossed the line. It's hard to enjoy the show, no matter how much you try to pay attention to it, when someone is yelling on the phone, kicking the back of your seat (not that anyone is sitting at a U2 show!), or being a general ass.

As for the taking pictures thing, my concern there isn't so much about people bugging each other but with the lack of ability for us to enjoy a moment when all we're doing is recording it to... enjoy it later? I was just wondering aloud, too, if performing for an arena or stadium full of non-responsive filmers sucks for the band. I'm sure they usually get a kick--and energy--out of the people closest who are going bugshit. But when it's static b/c everyone is holding still with cameras and phones held high, that's just kinda sad.

That's all.

I get ya. But the fact is that while the idea of "live and let live" is nice, when person 1's actions infringe upon person 2's viewing or listening of an event, person 1 has crossed the line. It's hard to enjoy the show, no matter how much you try to pay attention to it, when someone is yelling on the phone, kicking the back of your seat (not that anyone is sitting at a U2 show!), or being a general ass.

I don't know where you had seats but I've only ever seen U2 from the floor (GA) and I couldn't even so much as hear what the person next to me was saying to me, much less would I hear people on the phone. Maybe I can simply tune people out but honestly short of somebody physically assaulting me, I don't even notice what's going on to the left and right of me during a show.

This reminds me of when some person complained to the prof when I was in law school that it was distracting to have half the class on laptops playing games and shopping on Ebay while he was trying to concentrate. If it's that hard for you to concentrate, you've got bigger problems than me reading Perez Hilton in front of you.

As for the taking pictures thing, my concern there isn't so much about people bugging each other but with the lack of ability for us to enjoy a moment when all we're doing is recording it to... enjoy it later? I was just wondering aloud, too, if performing for an arena or stadium full of non-responsive filmers sucks for the band. I'm sure they usually get a kick--and energy--out of the people closest who are going bugshit. But when it's static b/c everyone is holding still with cameras and phones held high, that's just kinda sad.

That's all.

I have never been at a major concert and been able to hear anyone without them shouting in my ear, never mind talking on a phone several feet away from me. I agree, seat kicking is annoying, and so are those who constantly bang up against you in GA (some body contact can't be helped, but sometimes people who do it repeatedly when it could be avoided are idiots). However, seat kicking isn't the issue here, is it? You didn't list that in your first post.

I just think it's awfully presumptuous to comment on how people are "enjoying" the concert or not. Maybe taking pictures is enjoyable for them. As long as it doesn't bother you, what's the difference? If it bothered the band that much, they'd institute a more strict camera policy.

Honestly I've been more amused by people on cell phones than annoyed. They scream into their cell phones during the Pavarotti bit of Miss Sarajevo that "U2 MUST BE DOING A COVER RIGHT NOW!!"

As for my taking pictures, the only times I attempted were when I was on the front rail or the rail along the outer edge of the ellipse, so I was not pushing on people in front of me, nor did I need to hold the camera above my own eye level.

But, like I said, my new camera most likely will not even be allowed (b/c it is a DSLR body with detachable lenses) and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to even take it along if it was!

I have never been at a major concert and been able to hear anyone without them shouting in my ear, never mind talking on a phone several feet away from me.

How nice for you. Those of us who have been bothered by someone yakking away will try to ignore it, then.

I agree, seat kicking is annoying, and so are those who constantly bang up against you in GA (some body contact can't be helped, but sometimes people who do it repeatedly when it could be avoided are idiots). However, seat kicking isn't the issue here, is it? You didn't list that in your first post.

I just used it as an example of ways that people are less than courteous when in crowds. Forgive me for breaking the rules of conversation.

I just think it's awfully presumptuous to comment on how people are "enjoying" the concert or not. Maybe taking pictures is enjoyable for them. As long as it doesn't bother you, what's the difference? If it bothered the band that much, they'd institute a more strict camera policy.

Oh for fuck's sake. I give up. I was throwing an observation out there, and suddenly I'm a presumptuous crank. I find it amazing, really, that people profess to love a band whose songs include messages of consideration, empathy, compassion, understanding, and listening. Because, in the end, it's all about me, me, me.

...now get offa my lawn!

How nice for you. Those of us who have been bothered by someone yakking away will try to ignore it, then.

Wow, you must have wolf-like hearing, then. Kudos, you're one of the lucky ones. :up:

I just used it as an example of ways that people are less than courteous when in crowds. Forgive me for breaking the rules of conversation.

I was agreeing with you that this behaviour is bad, because it can actually impact the enjoyment of a bystander, unlike picture taking. I just didn't think that it was what you intended to talk about when you started the thread, that's all.

Oh for fuck's sake. I give up. I was throwing an observation out there, and suddenly I'm a presumptuous crank. I find it amazing, really, that people profess to love a band whose songs include messages of consideration, empathy, compassion, understanding, and listening. Because, in the end, it's all about me, me, me.

...now get offa my lawn!

How on earth am I making this about me, when I'm the one saying it's fine for people to talk on phones or take pictures, because it doesn't bother me? :lol: I'm not the one trying to limit non-intrusive behaviour of others, or get people to conform to my idea of an enjoyable concert experience, here.

:lol:

I'll never forget this show. I put my camera and phone away right after this happened. I had this paranoia that Bono was looking for other people to call out.

You were there? That's AWESOME! Were you in GA to see it up close and personal? :D

when you are in GA you cant really hear anybody around you, but when you have a seat you can and when people are saying dumb things it can be distracting.

and when Bono, or anyone from the band, comes out on the ramp close to you and all of a sudden your view gets blocked by everyone extended their hands in the air trying to take pics with their phone, it definitely can be a little annoying.

if i go to multiple shows ill try to take a few pics at one of the shows and then leave the camera behind for the rest. i personally do enjoy just taking in a concert more than having to deal with a camera and trying to take perfect pictures.

I've never understood this. Someone pays just under 100 quid to see a band play and then spends the entire gig watching it through his/her mobile phone and in the process blocks the view of the person directly behind them. And for what? Crap audio and a blurry picture. Let it go.

and when Bono, or anyone from the band, comes out on the ramp close to you and all of a sudden your view gets blocked by everyone extended their hands in the air trying to take pics with their phone, it definitely can be a little annoying.

That's my one complaint about all this stuff. I can't tell you how to spend your time at a concert that you spent your money on, but when your desperate need to shove your arms and cameras up over your heads to get a picture completely blocks this 5'2" fan from seeing anything but your arms ..... well, that makes me make this face :grumpy:

personally, i do take photos during shows, but for the most part (including U2 shows) i take a dozen or so, a few at the beginning and maybe a few more scattered during the show. i'm a seats-type person (the thought of standing in line for hours for a spot in ga and then having to stand for hours more during the show, not being able to leave your spot, etc. doesn't appeal to me, unless it's a small club show) so unfortunately i get to hear people around me muttering crap, etc. it really doesn't bother me unless they're SCREAMING LIKE THIS to someone next to them or into their phone. or if they spill their beer or me or make me move 1500 times cuz they need to make another beer run.

i think this all just boils down to where you are during a U2 show, either ga or seats. but i have to admit, i love when i'm in the nosebleed section at a concert in some stadium and i see someone next to me whip out their razr and try to take a photo :lol: really my only camera-related gripe is the fact that some security people think my camera's a dslr and hassle me about it. it's a regular point and shoot, but it's got decent zoom so it kinda looks like a dslr without the extra lenses or whatever. and really, when i'm in seats, even if it's the front row of the closest section to the stage, the pictures won't be media-quality good. so i just take a few to have as memories and enjoy the show. if they play a song that omg i was not expecting then i might record it to relive it. but the people taking 5000 photos and recording every song is just silly. but hey if they enjoy it, it doesn't bother me.

i do second cori for the height thing. i'm not too short, though i HATE IT when some tall guy has the seat in front of me or something. my mom goes to some shows with me and she's 5', so it's really hard for her to see sometimes.

I'm old and don't get to a lot of concerts, especially now, so taking photos at shows is odd to me. However, a few years ago I was drafted into videotaping two entire shows (NOT of U2, obviously!). There were four cameras at each show and I was given one of the handheld ones. I had a great time, and it was a really interesting experience, but it was totally different watching the entire gig on a 3" LCD screen. I hadn't realised before how very different it would be.

If I was seeing a lot of shows by the same band I might take pics at one or two, but I personally enjoy gigs more when I can just let the whole thing just wash over me and just soak it all in. Of course, I enjoy looking at other people's photos.... :wink:

Yeah, I totally agree with you. Watching U23D, seeing Bono out on a B-stage, totally surrounded my a sea of people with cameras & phones trained on him was kinda lame.

But I have to admit, I do want to take something home, to relive my own personal experience. So I usually just pull the camera out during a couple of songs I'm not so into (Ok, they're all pretty much cool songs). 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', didn't excite me too much during the Verigo tour, so I took a few shots during that.

I put my camera in continuous shooting mode. Hold the finger down & let the camera blast away. In 15-30 seconds you're bound to get a few decent shots (the beauty of digital cameras). Something to remember, but then you can get back to really enjoying the rest of the show, & boy did I enjoy it!

This is likely to get me flamed mightily, but I want to throw something out there:

How about laying off the cameras and camera phones for a bit during the show? (bear with me here)

I've been to only 4 U2 shows in the past 17 years, and I have to say that technology, in a way, is "ruining" the live-show experience. Bands can't ban cameras anymore because everyone has them on their phones. And now the audience spends the whole show snapping pics and filming! I took pics during Vertigo but thought to myself "You know, I'm here to see this live, NOT to revlive it later" and would turn off the camera for spans of time. But I felt myself getting caught up in that hype of needing to take pics because I was allowed. And I love the photos I have now... but sometimes I look at them and realize that I remember a moment only because I took a pic of it, not because I have a "pure" memory of it. And that's kind of sad.

Last week, wathcing the Fordham show on GMA, it came to me that it's getting worse. EVERYONE had their hands up ... holding a camera or camera phone. After the first or second song, a few of the kids put their phones away and put their hands up to wave to the music and punch their fists in the air--you know, that thing that the band thrives off of called audience participation. I'm wondering how many bands feel like they're playing to a bank of cameramen rather than a crowd of live people.

Do those of you who've taken pics at recent shows feel that the camera has gotten in the way of your enjoyment of the show? Are any of you annoyed--either for yourself or for the band--that cameras are so prevalent at live shows? Do you think they affect the quality of the show that a band puts on? I'm really curious....

I'm not bring a camera at all on this tour. I have in the past and do have some nice photos to show for it, but it did negatively impact my experience. I really don't care what other people do, but I want to live in the moment and not be fiddling with my camera. The memories are worth more than the pictures to me.

I'll be honest, I find the chicks who insist on getting on stage to be FAR more annoying. Out by the tip you sometimes had like up to a dozen of them sitting on their b/f's/husband's shoulders, screaming, waving, bobbing up and down, sometimes holding up obnoxious large signs, etc for 2 or 3 songs continunously. That obstructed my view and limited my enjoyment a hell of a lot more than some guy trying to take a photo or texting a buddy at home. I honestly wish that Bono would stop this practice altogether.

How on earth am I making this about me, when I'm the one saying it's fine for people to talk on phones or take pictures, because it doesn't bother me? :lol: I'm not the one trying to limit non-intrusive behaviour of others, or get people to conform to my idea of an enjoyable concert experience, here.

You know what, I didn't explain myself well and you're right--I sound like an ass. And for that I apologize. I was talking about the "universal" me, not about you specifically.

My point is that people are so caught up in what they're doing and what they want that their actions cross the line from inobtrusive to downright rude, but they don't care because it's all about them. In general, yeah, I am concerned with how people around me act. It's just part of my nature to watch what people do, and I've come to see cell phones as one more excuse for people to act selfishly. (And not just in concerts but restaurants, movie theaters, cars, supermarkets, and even on the sidewalk.)

However, my motive in starting this thread really wasn't to stop people from taking pictures at all but, rather, to discuss an observation and throw an idea out there: how viewing a show through a 3" screen takes away from the experience to how it must feel to be on the other side of the camera. I imagine that all bands--not just U2--deal with "off" nights when the connection to the audience just isn't there, and so I wondered how much more difficult it must be to make that connection through a wall of camera phones.

I really didn't start all of this to offend anyone or to come off as a total bitch. So sorry for that.

u2 had a mandatory camera check for the Vancouver "City of Blinding Lights" video shoot.

**I got the only fan photos**

TOOL is a group that is very strict about cameras/recorders. Don't even bring them to the arena is the email you get if you buy tickets online. Thorough searches at the door.

**I have the only audio/video of one of their shows, about an hour**

This thread does forget that OTTO started out just as a fan taking photos. Then u2 gave him some slightly better credentials/access. There is also an exception to those filming full shows with a camcorder - as long as they share, and shoot from a distance.

Fiona Apple is another artist who enforces a strict no camera policy. I saw her five times on her last tour and had my camera confiscated at the door twice. A few people still tried to record the shows with cell phones but she would glare at them with her evil eye from her piano bench until they were like this: :reject:

Fiona Apple is another artist who enforces a strict no camera policy. I saw her five times on her last tour and had my camera confiscated at the door twice. A few people still tried to record the shows with cell phones but she would glare at them with her evil eye from her piano bench until they were like this: :reject:
She also did the evil eye thing at the gig I was at which promptly put a stop to such mobile phone abuse. The world needs more Fiona Apples.

I'll be honest, I find the chicks who insist on getting on stage to be FAR more annoying. Out by the tip you sometimes had like up to a dozen of them sitting on their b/f's/husband's shoulders, screaming, waving, bobbing up and down, sometimes holding up obnoxious large signs, etc for 2 or 3 songs continunously. That obstructed my view and limited my enjoyment a hell of a lot more than some guy trying to take a photo or texting a buddy at home. I honestly wish that Bono would stop this practice altogether.

Oh, honey. That's a whole 'nother topic for some other 5 billion page bitch-fest thread. ;)

totally agree!

i just love to enjoy the concert... don't wanna be faffing and not be in the moment

I've never understood this. Someone pays just under 100 quid to see a band play and then spends the entire gig watching it through his/her mobile phone and in the process blocks the view of the person directly behind them. And for what? Crap audio and a blurry picture. Let it go.

i KNOW!!! it's crazy!!! :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom