Are U2 any good live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newsystem

Babyface
The answer to the above question is of course YES! But . . . I have seen U2 on two occasions now, once at Celtic Park in 93 and Vertigo at Hampden 05. Both of these shows in my opinion haven't been memorable and the reason for this is football stadiums are for football not concerts. It's not just U2 I'm talking about it's any artist how plays these venues. After the Vertigo tour I said I wouldn't go back to another stadium gig but after the hype and promotion the band done my heart over ruled my head and I'm going to Hampden again for the 360 gig! I suppose the difference is I don't have high expectations this time and I was even dreaming about the gig last night and it was quite disapointing. So hopefully this time around I can see U2 pull it off they way I know they can despite the drawbacks of the venue. Also I'm a bit disapointed about the 360 theme as I feel it's a little misleading, 360 suggest in the round, (middle of the park) not behind the goals. Anyway glad to get that of my chest. :)

No, they aren't any good live. That's why we are all fighting to get tickets for their tour. :tsk:

If a band can work stadiums, it's U2.

Stadium concerts rock.:hyper:

That Bono... always deceiving us... fucking bastard... that's why we sit around and wait for ways to give them thousands upon thousands of dollars...

I agree though, some stadiums can have awful soudns if you are in the wrong place.

I saw Springsteen at the Emirates last year and apparently people at the back were walking out the sound was so bad.

Of course there were problems at Wembley in 2007 during Live Earth when there was a massive delay at the back of the stadium and people were complaning (in large numbers).

I personally heard very poor sound with U2 at the Millenium Stadium, last tour

So yes, it can be annoying but Stadium gigs have their plus points.

I guess that if you want to find out if this band is good, you don't have experience other bands live, but it would help.
I have seen dozens of live performances and I've seen great, good and terrible.
bands such as; P.I.L., The Cure, Depeche Mode, Social Distortion, etc.

U2 has delivered most of the time in their performances for me, that keeps me coming back for more. The whole experience in these shows are definitely better than most. I am still waiting to watch Muse and Oasis live, I hear they are amazing live.
I can give you a couple of examples for bands that did not for me; New Order, The Cure, to name a few......and I love these. So they were a dissapointment.

U2 can suck in a stadium. Their poor performance in a stadium on the JT tour is what made me vow to never go to a stadium show for anybody ever again, so I feel your pain and indecision.

However, since their greed and/or laziness had ruled the day, we have no choice this tour. :sigh: I'm really not happy with the stadium decision (as everyone is now tired of hearing), and I'm sure I'll have a grip or five once I've seen them. They can be so so good in an arena, but that connection really is lost in a stadium.

I suppose if your tickets are for seats at the far reaches of the stadium where Bono and the boys look like ants, you might feel a disconnect with the band and the music. That's why I've gone GA again, to try to capture that "small arena feeling" :wink::wink:.
I hope I succeed.

i honestly thought this thread was a joke.... or started by someone who has never been to a U2 show... but I see where you are coming from.
My opinion is based completely on their shows in indoor arenas, and the answer to that is: FUCK YEAH!!!
However, I've never seen them in a stadium setting, and even though stadiums are not my #1 choice, this time around it simply has to be done. I can see how a stadium show could be hard to pull off perfectly every time - mostly because of the sound - but, like mentioned previously, if anyone can pull it off it's them.

Whether there is a connection between band-audience or not in a stadium doesn't completely depend on the band, sometimes it's just the audience that doesn't seem to be there (Ie.- Vertigo Tour Monterrey, Vertigo Tour Ottawa, in my opinion of course) but if you had a chance to see U23D that's a whole different story (Like Vertigo Tour Montreal or Vertigo Tour Paris). However I'm pretty sure that most of the shows have a great band-audience connection, maybe you just weren't lucky enough last tour,so I hope you have the time of your life in Hampden this time, good luck!! :wink:

U2 are a great live band, but everyone has off days no matter how good they are-

and if the crowd doesn't connect then there's not much they can do- I saw REM at the NEC on the Around the Sun tour back in 2005 and the loudest cheer all night was when the word "Birmingham" appeared on the screen- I've never seen a crowd so disinterested before- most in the GA were playing with their mobile phones all evening

I've certainly never come away disappointed from a U2 show.

In general I think I've done well with the concerts I've been to- the only real clunker I can come up with was Madonna at Wembley stadium last year and that was mainly because I can't stand her recent album and she murdered Like a Prayer as well

I've seen U2 several times in the arena, and once at a stadium show (Dodger Stadium during Zoo TV tour in '92). I gotta say, I loved the stadium show. The music sounded great...so loud you can feel the drum beats (and I was sitting in the upper level at opposit end of stadium). Plus, with the massive amount of people at the show, it just created a more exciting vibe. So, it was a pretty amazing experience, and I am looking forward to seeing them at a stadium again.

Well, you guys are giving me hope.

Remember... U2 to this day don't look back at the JT Tour very happily... they weren't really consistently good live until Lovetown (save Bono's voice, which had a tendency to die on Lovetown, PopMart, and occasionally Elevation, but that's another story).

I've had one bad experience seeing U2 in a stadium setting (ZooTV) and one good experience with the stadium (PopMart). Here's hoping this one will be AWESOME and I'll stop feeling poopy about U2 playing stadiums.

:)

Seen U2 twice in small arenas (12'000 people) in 92 and 00 and it was better than stadiums (8 times) in 93, 97, 05 and 06 just because you can get closer to them. Otherwise, it's easier to get tickets to stadium... but if you're not very early, you might end up in hell at around 50 meters from the stage...

Joe O'Herlihy will do his magic to the best of his ability

Who knows what new sound system they have up their sleeve? anyone take a guess?

No more Rosanne Barr incidents thankfully from the past, sound engineers have gotten way better.

I've only ever been able to see U2 live in stadiums, 5 times in all so far, and each and every show has been absolutely brilliant! I think a lot has to do with the audience, it's a give and take. Also I've found that U2 excel in the rain, as they did at Stockholm '93 and Copenhagen 2005, absolutely poured for most of these shows! And the Helsinki 97, wow what a crowd, we up in the stands were doing waves 10 minutes before U2 even came on stage. :cheer: Life is what you make it, and that includes U2 shows! :wink:

I have yet to hear of a crap show. :reject: Even when Bono had laryingitis, when I saw them in Vancouver @ BC place. they were awesome :love:. U2 is not one of these bands that disappoint live due to trickery used when than recorded, in fact I think they are best live! :applaud:

Popmart was the best show I've ever seen followed by Zoo tv 93. Seen every tour since Joshua Tree and I was disapointed mostly by Vertigo which had the worst sound of any concert I've ever been to. Maybe just unlucky with the show I went to.

Back
Top Bottom