US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump is an enigma. You can’t easily replicate what he’s done.

I think the rules of political suicide still exist, but there’s this whole science of Trump that we’ve yet to fully understand. It’s kinda like dark matter and dark energy.

Is there? Or is it that all you need to be is incapable of shame? And have a base that won’t punish you politically. I’m not sure.

I do think the GOP is in trouble ... the suburban COC republicans are finding the uneducated whites intolerable ... but we also thought the same after 2012.

:barf:

The Guardian

Jessica Glenza
@JessicaGlenza
Sat 10 Oct 2020 15.46 EDT

In a televised campaign event US senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said African Americans and immigrants can “go anywhere” in his home state but they “just need to be conservative”.

Graham made the comment in a televised “conversation” with his political rival, former South Carolina Democratic party chair Jaime Harrison, the first African American to serve in the role.

He made the remark in the context of political careers, and said Harrison would lose because he is a Democrat, not because he is Black.

“Do I believe our cops are systemically racist? No. Do I believe South Carolina is a racist state? No. Let me tell you why. To young people out there, young people of color, young immigrants, this is a great state, but one thing I can say without any doubt, you can be an African American and go to the Senate but you just have to share our values.”

He went on to say: “If you’re a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal”.

Drinking game to identify racists: drink every time they say “our values”.

I agree with Headache that Trump was the only play left for the likes of Christie.

Once Trump is gone, Christie’s problem is that Trump’s base never really liked him so he’ll be super easy to sacrifice. It’s a bit of a micro scale of what is going to happen to Susan Collins.

You would think that if the GOP is tsunami’d out in November they’d sit down to figure out how to regroup. But then let’s recall that they expected to win in 2012, the polling was actually fairly tight, and after Mittens lost a contest that ended up not being that close at all, they DID form a sort of truth-finding commission which DID tell them what they had to do (oh hey, hows about not being racist and alienating the largest growing segments of the population and hows about we don’t take actively hostile positions on women’s issues 24/7) and not only did they take nothing away from that exercise but they doubled (tripled? Quadrupled?) down and instead hitched their wagon to Trump.

They have a massive issue in that their base is comprised of foaming-at-the-mouth racists, Q-believers, misogynists, gun nuts, etc.

Statistically their best play may be for the Romneys to walk away, try to pry off a decent # of centrist democrats (I think that this is actually easily doable so long as you give them some social issue concessions but they agree on your economic plan) and try going with a third party. You then have AOC, the centrists, the deplorable and you see where things shake out. However, Americans are so culturally conditioned to having a two party system and the entire political apparatus is as well that I’m just not sure how this can happen UNLESS the centrists/right are willing to take it on the chin for like a decade before becoming established + they have to become essentially totally agnostic on anything related to abortion, LGBTQ+, religious charter schools, the alleged war on Christmas, etc and flat out run on taxes, deficits, etc. Stephen Harper’s Conservatives are kind of an example of this, although not centrist at all - in Canada he managed to stay in power for a very long time despite having the personality of a wet paper bag and being thoroughly unlikeable. But he was seen as strong on the economy and he basically completely muzzled his party on social issues - to the extent they started to stand up and say embarrassing things in public, he was willing to kick them out of the caucus. However, in the last year or so when it became obvious the public had enough of him, he also went down the xenophobic path, but I don’t actually think he believed in that strongly on a personal level. That man was about corporate enrichment and not much else.

Trump is an enigma. You can’t easily replicate what he’s done.

I think the rules of political suicide still exist, but there’s this whole science of Trump that we’ve yet to fully understand. It’s kinda like dark matter and dark energy.

You are very right that what Trump has done is not easily replicated. But you can be certain many will try. But it isn't that big of an enigma. Trump is a true narcissistic sociopath. To the bone. We've had the largest psychological experiment conducted on the American public. The result? About 35% of people have the makeup to fall for and join into an inexplicable and bizarre cult following. About 55% of the group find it repulsive and unimaginable, and about 10% are somewhere in between.

So it will be interesting to see the wannabe Trump's rolled out next time around, but extremely unlikely that it will end in anything but disaster. Namely because Trump is a cult of personality, and a Cotton or Pompeo is not going to illicit that following.

That's why the future of the Rep party is so uncertain (IMO) If the Trump kids stay out of prison, will Don Jr. or Ivanka come forward and have like a 25% following of leftover Trump fans and conspiracy theorists? Will Trump try and run again in 2024?I just don't know. But it will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
So RCP is actually matching 538's average for Biden - +10.6

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1315664492940931072

Biden's up 10.6 and sitting at 52.3% in the RealClearPolitics average. I believe that's the highest vote share that a candidate has ever held in the RCP average in the year of an election

I'm hoping to see some state polling coming out this week that would start to mirror or at least trend in the national poll shift. Yes, non-swing states are obviously becoming bluer, but would like to see a point or two pop for MI, WI, PA, AZ, NC, GA, TX, OH, IA, etc...

I believe MI and WI NYT/Sienna polls drop at 1pm eastern.

Damn, Mayor Pete is becoming somewhat likable to me. Such a good answer here:

[TWEET]1315443201516371972[/TWEET]

Becuase someone once convinced everyone that the Internet was an insecure way to vote.

That someone was probably a republican.

The MI/WI polls are in from Siena: +8/+10 respectively. However that MI Senate seat is basically tied which is very bad news and I’m not sure how that race has tightened against terrible numbers for Trump?

The MI/WI polls are in from Siena: +8/+10 respectively. However that MI Senate seat is basically tied which is very bad news and I’m not sure how that race has tightened against terrible numbers for Trump?

it seems that the R's have run an unusually talented candidate.

on the MI/WI numbers, i found this analysis interesting:

Over all, Mr. Biden leads by eight points among white voters in Wisconsin and trails by just one percentage point among white voters in Michigan.

While Mr. Trump’s surprising victory in 2016 lent him an aura of political invincibility, an Upshot analysis of more than 5,000 respondents to Times/Siena results surveys in the Northern battleground states suggests that his winning coalition was always a fragile one. The president’s margin of victory was extremely narrow, and he failed to reach 50 percent of the vote in each of the decisive states. He also did so against an unusually unpopular opponent, Mrs. Clinton.

In the years after her defeat, Democrats agonized over whether their best path to the presidency was to lure back the white, working-class voters who’d defected to the president, or to increase turnout among Democratic voters who may have stayed home or supported minor-party candidates like Jill Stein. The Times/Siena surveys suggest that Mr. Biden is succeeding on both fronts, by at once peeling off a modest but crucial sliver of the president’s former supporters and benefiting from a significant advantage among voters who either backed a minor-party candidate four years ago or didn’t vote at all.

Over all, recent Times/Siena respondents in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Ohio indicate that they backed Mr. Trump by a 2.6-point margin in 2016, the same as his actual 2.6-point margin of victory across the Northern battlegrounds. Now, they back Mr. Biden across all six states.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/upshot/polls-wisconsin-michigan-election.html

Becuase someone once convinced everyone that the Internet was an insecure way to vote.

That someone was probably a republican.

No, many people, including many computer experts, posit that Internet voting is insecure. And especially so when an election committee does not want to invest in any kind of security. For now, paper ballots is still the most secure way.

Still, those long lines remain remarkable to me. That there are apparently so few polling locations for so many people. I don't think I ever had to wait more than 10 minutes to cast my vote. I might've picked a quiet time (usually just before going to or after coming back from work). But it might also have to do that I have 2 polling locations within 200 meters of my house (and possibly another 30 in my city of 350,000 people).

No, many people, including many computer experts, posit that Internet voting is insecure. And especially so when an election committee does not want to invest in any kind of security. For now, paper ballots is still the most secure way.

Still, those long lines remain remarkable to me. That there are apparently so few polling locations for so many people. I don't think I ever had to wait more than 10 minutes to cast my vote. I might've picked a quiet time (usually just before going to or after coming back from work). But it might also have to do that I have 2 polling locations within 200 meters of my house (and possibly another 30 in my city of 350,000 people).

Thank you for citing many people including computer experts, whoever those are. I happen to be pretty involved in a lot of security/signals type work and would fancy myself a computer expert, though.

Yes, there are tremendous hurdles with getting a voting system on the Internet right now. No, there would not have been an issue if we evolved a proper cyber security agency from the inception of the World Wide Web in the 90s. The infrastructure does not exist. What makes you think that we can transfer *the entire world wealth in banks and stocks* on the Internet safely and securely, but we can’t vote on the Internet?

In many of those places, there were more, but between the pandemic shutting down some places where people might've normally voted* and the GOP actively trying to restrict the amount of polling places available, that explains these lines.

*That happened in my town. Normally my mom and I would go to a nearby church to vote, but thanks to the pandemic, they've become very restrictive in terms of how many people can be there and whatnot, so we've moved to going to the courthouse instead. Fortunately, like with the church, the courthouse is also right near where I live, and while there has been a pretty decent turnout of voters here the past week or so, when we went to vote last week, we weren't standing in any lines or anything. We were able to get in and out pretty efficiently. Even when voting took place at the church, I still don't ever recall having to stand in line for even a number of minutes, let alone an hour or more. And I can't recall any stories of others having to do that, either.

Agree or disagree with her positions, but I don't think there's a better communicator in the party than AOC:

[TWEET]1233395932072480768[/TWEET]

Also, not many people with better political instincts.

Agree or disagree with her positions, but I don't think there's a better communicator in the party than AOC:

[TWEET]1233395932072480768[/TWEET]

Also, not many people with better political instincts.

I locate myself generally a bit to her right, but I totally agree with the above. Her skills are electrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom