US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should turn off the TV before I hear the first pundit referring to this debate as a mature performance by Trump.

I’d say tonight was less catastrophic for Trump but I don’t think he did anything that would help undecided voters swing towards him. He didn’t succeed with the Hunter Biden talk like he had planned on.

Maybe some of the oil talk secured Texas.

Maybe.

Buuuut ... the D base loves that stuff. They got some red meat tonight. Public option, too.

Last edited:
I’d say tonight was less catastrophic for Trump but I don’t think he did anything that would help undecided voters swing towards him. He didn’t succeed with the Hunter Biden talk like he had planned on.

If Trump had acted like this in the first debate, he might have had a shot at pulling out a victory.
Tonight was too little, far too late.
Debate was close to a draw cause of Biden's one big mistake, the comment on oil at the end...it will hurt him in TX and a few other places. That was the time for a non answer.

For those worried that Trump would get too much credit for not being insane, the MSNBC people aren't giving him any points at all, they're being pretty brutal. And that includes never-Trumper-but-perhaps-still-Republican Nicole Wallace.

Don't know what CNN is saying, don't want to watch because they have Santorum.

For those worried that Trump would get too much credit for not being insane, the MSNBC people aren't giving him any points at all, they're being pretty brutal. And that includes never-Trumper-but-perhaps-still-Republican Nicole Wallace.

Don't know what CNN is saying, don't want to watch because they have Santorum.

I often flip between MSNBC and Fox, to get both “sides.” And while it is clearly from a left-wing POV, the level of discussion is miles more informed and sophisticated than on Fox.

Which is why education is becoming the dominant political determination.

What Biden said is not new, nor is it a big deal. People have been talking about transitioning from oil since the 1970s.

Trump had so many terrible moments. “They are being taken care of so well” about the kids separated from their parents. “I take full responsibility. It wasn’t my fault” on COVID. “15 dollars is not so bad in some places”. And on and on. Plus he sounds like a lunatic with his conspiracy theories.

The closing remarks said it all: Trump attacked Biden, Biden talked himself up. Trump has nothing to offer. Even if one wants to claim that Biden is an empty vessel, at least he recognizes an audience beyond his base.

What Biden said is not new, nor is it a big deal. People have been talking about transitioning from oil since the 1970s.

Not the point though. Biden gave Trump a rallying cry type of quote to use in certain states where the oil industry is a key economic component. And Trump knew it, jumped on it right away and you can be sure its going to be featured in ads in TX, PA and OH over the next 11 days.
All Biden has to do is not give that answer and this election is in the bag. It should still be, but that one statement might put PA back in play and likely eliminates any shot in TX.

Not the point though. Biden gave Trump a rallying cry type of quote to use in certain states where the oil industry is a key economic component. And Trump knew it, jumped on it right away and you can be sure its going to be featured in ads in TX, PA and OH over the next 11 days.
All Biden has to do is not give that answer and this election is in the bag. It should still be, but that one statement might put PA back in play and likely eliminates any shot in TX.

The revelation that a Democrat supports transitioning away from fossil fuels will not move the PA race 8 points to the right. I doubt the few remaining PA undecideds were waiting on their respective oil industry takes.

i see that the post i was referring to has been awkwardly edited at the last moment much like daniel jones' touchdown run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom