US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
womanfish, to add to your reporting on polls today, the two more recent ones seem a little more realistic:

Biden 51
Sanders 36

Biden 54
Sanders 42

What I think is a common trend is underperforming polls which suggest there’s some huge amount of people still undecided or settled on a candidate that isn’t in the race anymore, right when we are transitioning to 2 candidates.

It sort of happened on Super Tuesday too. Lots of polls put Warren and Bloomberg with more support than they got.

womanfish, to add to your reporting on polls today, the two more recent ones seem a little more realistic:

Biden 51
Sanders 36

Biden 54
Sanders 42

What I think is a common trend is underperforming polls which suggest there’s some huge amount of people still undecided or settled on a candidate that isn’t in the race anymore, right when we are transitioning to 2 candidates.

It sort of happened on Super Tuesday too. Lots of polls put Warren and Bloomberg with more support than they got.

Thank you LN7. This is where I'm expecting the final numbers to fall. I think Sanders will have a same day surge, comparatively speaking, after spending so much time there these past 4 days.
I think what could have been a 25 point win for Biden, is probably more likely a 12-15.

But this is the state that Sanders overcame a 20 point deficit in 2016. So a single digit result is still not out of the question.

I’m very curious how voters begin to think about healthcare the bigger this outbreak gets.

Do voters inherently vote with their heart on Sanders the more worried they get, or do they genuinely get more scared of him in the sense that “government is inefficient.”

I’m very curious how voters begin to think about healthcare the bigger this outbreak gets.

Do voters inherently vote with their heart on Sanders the more worried they get, or do they genuinely get more scared of him in the sense that “government is inefficient.”

I see both sides. But I think this may play mainly to Biden. The Dem voters are already leaning towards the "get us back to normalcy" stance. Top priority is whoever can beat Trump. Trump clusterfucking this only feeds into that.

Also polls of Dem voters asking who they trust more to handle a crisis, and best to handle economy, both favor Biden about 60 to 35. These are both front and center right now.

I definitely see the flip side. How nice would it be to have universal, affordable care right now as everyone will need to get tested. But I think as far as I can see, it probably is a net win for Biden.

I see both sides. But I think this may play mainly to Biden. The Dem voters are already leaning towards the "get us back to normalcy" stance. Top priority is whoever can beat Trump. Trump clusterfucking this only feeds into that.

Also polls of Dem voters asking who they trust more to handle a crisis, and best to handle economy, both favor Biden about 60 to 35. These are both front and center right now.

I definitely see the flip side. How nice would it be to have universal, affordable care right now as everyone will need to get tested. But I think as far as I can see, it probably is a net win for Biden.

The testing is not the price. That falls under public health anyways already. It’s the price of being treated when you need to be treated, and being isolated when you need to be isolated.

Also, President poopiepants obviously is doing jack shit about this outbreak, but I’m not really sure what any other President would be doing. It’s a little too late, and the US isn’t the only country in that position. It’s the whole globe.

THIS. x198089899

Is this enough? Truly, is this enough for the country that looked at itself after eight years of a competent presidency and decided to hand things over to a vulgar talking yam? Are the vacant airports and deserted subways enough? Will the empty arenas and ballparks be enough? Is the plunging stock market enough? When the ambulances start hauling away the old folks down the block, will that be enough? How in god’s name can anyone vote for four more years of this, four more years of a choleric fatburg of a man who calls a press conference about a global health emergency and asks a reporter for Fox News how the ratings were for his last town hall? How does that man carry a precinct, let alone a state, let alone the country?

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31283098/president-trump-coronavirus-response/

The testing is not the price. That falls under public health anyways already. It’s the price of being treated when you need to be treated, and being isolated when you need to be isolated.

Also, President poopiepants obviously is doing jack shit about this outbreak, but I’m not really sure what any other President would be doing. It’s a little too late, and the US isn’t the only country in that position. It’s the whole globe.

Well, its too little too late now.
Trump has been slashing budgets on government agencies for years now that would have been far more prepared for this happening. He sat for a month trying to figure out the best way to lie to the public about this, and continues to do so.

I think if any president other than this one had been in office, we would be in a better place, or at least more assured about what's happening.

And yes, it is worldwide, and a president can't stop that. But the public wants someone overall, big picture, that they can trust, and is comforting and experienced. Trump is none of these.

Sure, he’s not going a good job, but I don’t think it’s “Trump’s Katrina.” He already has that, thay was Maria. We forget about these things because he does it all the time.

He’s faced with being a leader right here and he’s establishing that he’s not. He focused so heavily on the stock market (trying to downplay the virus with confidence) but didn’t take into account the global economy and how his words don’t mean shit in Russia, Saudi Arabia, China, South Korea, Italy, etc etc etc., and how the US is a global economy player. So when shit hit the fan there, it hit the fan here.

Oh, and the outbreak is still happening.

Why Joe is doing well now and will do well against Trump

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1237109243276406785

why does Biden lead Trump comfortably in new Quinnipiac national poll?

how voters compare their personal qualities:

better at handling a crisis?
Biden 56%, Trump 40%

is he honest?
Biden 51% yes, Trump 33% yes

does he care about average Americans?
Biden 59% yes, Trump 43% yes

Why Joe is doing well now and will do well against Trump

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1237109243276406785

why does Biden lead Trump comfortably in new Quinnipiac national poll?

how voters compare their personal qualities:

better at handling a crisis?
Biden 56%, Trump 40%

is he honest?
Biden 51% yes, Trump 33% yes

does he care about average Americans?
Biden 59% yes, Trump 43% yes

I can't believe 43% thought Trump cares about average Americans. He's good at fooling and manipulating some people, I'll give him that.

My personal opinion is that he doesn't give a damn about any average Americans. He thinks we're fools and losers. He just wants enough votes from enough of us to keep his giant ego and tiny hands in the WH.

If anything, he cares more now than he ever did before.

Which is still very, very little. But, it was impressive to see how he got elected, knowing fine well he was acting out of self with minimal relation to the people.

Posted because there is always a tweet for everything. But mostly for Dow JOANS lmao

View attachment 12426
joan-rivers-324890-1-402.jpg

I can't believe 43% thought Trump cares about average Americans. He's good at fooling and manipulating some people, I'll give him that.

My personal opinion is that he doesn't give a damn about any average Americans. He thinks we're fools and losers. He just wants enough votes from enough of us to keep his giant ego and tiny hands in the WH.

Sociopaths don't feel anything for anyone other than themselves. So those 43% are wrong. That's not an opinion. That is fact.
He wouldn't shed a tear if his kids died in a plane crash. He would be thankful he wasn't flying with them.

Sure, he’s not going a good job, but I don’t think it’s “Trump’s Katrina.” He already has that, thay was Maria. We forget about these things because he does it all the time.

the difference there is that hurricane maria happened to puerto rico which many mainland citizens don't/barely consider as part of america.

once the bodies start piling up in atlanta and chicago and denver, people will have a much harder time ignoring it.

the difference there is that hurricane maria happened to puerto rico which many mainland citizens don't/barely consider as part of america.

once the bodies start piling up in atlanta and chicago and denver, people will have a much harder time ignoring it.

Sounds like black and liberal people to me, not sure his voters will see the urgency.

Watching Biden interview

I'm getting a feeling that Stacey Abrams is the choice.

Lawrence asked if the 4 women that campaigned for president would be good because they would be ready to be president. He said yes, but then made sure to say that other women, at the state level also would be good. Made a point of saying African American women.
Then asked if they should be battle tested on the presidential debate stage. He said yes, but then again said that there are women that have had their own successful debates on the state level and also have had national exposure.

I'd say it's Harris or Abrams. But I lean Abrams

Good to see today that Joe Biden's economic plan is to hand the keys over to Wall Street based on his leaked list of Cabinet choices. Mike Bloomberg as head of the World Bank. Jamie Dimon running the Treasury!

Also, he just said on television now that he would veto Medicare for All if it passed the House and Senate.

I saw the clip, in which he danced around the question and/or doesn't really remember what the bill actually entails because he's somehow more senile than Donald Trump at this point. I charitably interpreted it as political double talk in which he winked at "I'm out on this," but I'll accept your correction that he just didn't answer the question at all.

Totally.

The oil market will drag everything down with it.

My husband knows a guy, a banker who was 100% in for Trump - he's also offensive and loves "sticking it to the libs." Anyway, last night he sent a text to my husband saying that "Trump has totally fucked this up and he's done with him."
On one hand - too bad it took this much for banker guy to change. Otoh, glad he has.

It's almost like we tried to warn people about how shitty a president he'd be in 2016 or something :hmm:.

:hmm: I guess that movie would be called "Back From The Future", then.

I'm all for Bernie going off the rails in debates, I find it quite entertaining and with everything going to Hell we could use some of that.

I used to imitate Bernie to my late Mom and she loved it. It made her laugh so that's why I did it. She was so funny and had the best laugh. Sorry, just always thinking about her.
i forgot the Az debate is tomorrow night.

And, oh, when did you lose your mom? :( How wonderful that you could make her laugh. You have nothing to apologize for. :hug:
(been 12 yrs for me for my highly creative, compassionate, smart, fun loving mom. Still think of her just about every day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom