US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #781
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Or even better, Bluer White, why don’t you formulate your own response and join in?

I dont understand the dot thing entirely, but usually he does that to things he disagrees with. I wouldn’t immediately assume he means a ill by it.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #782
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well I can email you or something.

Ok but in all seriousness times are hard, but you do realize you’re part of this place right? I don’t want you to go away. Personally, I think we need you here. We need everyone who contributes (maybe not gzus, since his contributions are really just like roping bricks to your feet and jumping in a deep lake).

It’s going to be a long gazillion months of this shit, so maybe we fight a little bit, disagree, etc etc, but this is a really good outlet. I’m also one who thinks that varying your tasks whilst bound to your home is critical to getting by. Don’t go ❤️
C'mon headache, stay. You're a serious and funny part of this thread+s).
__________________

dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #783
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Hey, Vlad. How r things over there?
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #784
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,370
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Headache is obviously normally flexing some muscle around here on the regular, but maybe just have some patience in times like these? You know he’s going through a lot because everyone is going through a lot.

I understand, but it's hard to let posts like those fly simply because the Correct Type of Democrat is the subject. And it's not as if his personal politics have changed as a result of the pandemic.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #785
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 447
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I borrowed some amount almost four years ago now. It was disbursed three to four years ago. I pay $1000 a month in student loans, to the US government. If the US government decided to forgive, let’s say $3000 off all student loan debt, and freeze student loan interest for 3 months, this gives me access to $3000 of cash to infuse into the system.

The catch here is that the government spent that money already on me. Years ago. The department of treasury, at the beginning of the fiscal year, allots their loan money to the department of education. They then distribute it out to the lenders (in my case, the state of Oklahoma owns my loan for some reason or another). I subsequently pay the lender, who in turn returns the funds to the department of treasury. And the cycle repeats.

The current bailout is collecting tax money to distribute to the people. It was never originally allocated, so it’s the government borrowing from the people instead.

In the case of student loans, next year’s funds haven’t been allocated. This year’s already have. Mine were allocated years ago. By forgiving some amount of loans, the government would be borrowing against itself and deferring an issue. Basically, there would be a shortage in loan money to distribute the year following. I think we can agree that that’s not a good thing, but this economy needs money injected now. We can deal with that loan money in the future (plenty of private loan money still exists). We can argue politics about that later. At this rate anyways, young people are probably cancelling their borrowing plans for fall programs anyways, especially if they’re forced to stay home due to a pandemic, or because their family is currently unable to financially support an educational endeavor.
Once again I didn’t respond because this is nothing but double talk around the fact that whether they defer what you owe to next year, next decade, whatever, if you’re loans are “waived, forgiven”, etc. the money owed doesn’t just magically disappear. It’s a can kicked down the road, which apparently is fine for you since you wouldn’t have to pay it. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.

Here’s a better way to give people more money to spend , cut out useless, bloated institutions like the Department of Education which is the main reason why school tuition is as high as it is , because they give out loans to anyone for almost any amount, and lower everyone’s taxes. Then LN7, maybe it will be easier for you to pay your bills.
Gzusfrk is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 AM   #786
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Once again I didn’t respond because this is nothing but double talk around the fact that whether they defer what you owe to next year, next decade, whatever, if you’re loans are “waived, forgiven”, etc. the money owed doesn’t just magically disappear. It’s a can kicked down the road, which apparently is fine for you since you wouldn’t have to pay it. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.



Here’s a better way to give people more money to spend , cut out useless, bloated institutions like the Department of Education which is the main reason why school tuition is as high as it is , because they give out loans to anyone for almost any amount, and lower everyone’s taxes. Then LN7, maybe it will be easier for you to pay your bills.

That’s rich hearing you don’t want your kids to pay for it... would be nice if that statement applied to every other tax deferral we are all eligible for, or long term effects of climate change etc., but I digress.

Anyways, you don’t seem to understand the national budget, friend. Who do you think is paying for this bailout? The people. You. You’re paying for it. So am I. I’m not getting a dime, are you? Genuine question, are you? I want to know. Because I sure as fuck don’t want to pay for your bailout.

Anyways. Back to understanding the budget. The money for student lending is and has already been... appropriated. I don’t agree that the DoEd is “bloated” per say, but I would agree to the notion that it shouldn’t be a lender. The government shouldn’t be competing with industry. The government lending (typically at the same rates!) is an overreach if its function. Like Obamacare, it’s a bandaid to a broken system, but that bandaid actually still has a festering wound under it. The government offering, as you say, “giving out loans to anyone for almost any amount” is because the price of education in this country is ludicrous, because instituons simply grow grow grow rather than focus on providing cost efficient educations. Because being “not for profit” doesn’t mean a thing regarding the price point a consumer pays, and ultimately institutional growth is how these universities stay competitive.

Anyways I keep going on tangents. National budget. The money was already appropriated for the DoEd for FY20. In all likelihood that means there will be a surplus due to coronavirus and lack of desire for young adults to leave home and borrow money this year. So instead of borrowing money from the tax payers that wasn’t budgeted ($2 trillion), they’re borrowing out of a pool of already appropriated money. Want to fight to cut the DoEd’s budget for FY21? Great. We can work something out. Help me fight runaway costs in higher ed, help guide young people away from universities if they don’t need to be there, and we can take the govt lender out of the picture. Sounds like a bipartisan plan to me. But yes, utilizing already appropriated funds is a wiser decision than trying to find out how to cover $2 trillion on the spot.

PS, don’t have any issue paying my bills bud. Trying to help out my parents, who lost their business, and both of my sisters, who lost their businesses. You’re too busy with some ideological “I hate millennial rah rah rah I’m not paying for ur education rah rah rah” and in that cloud of ideological anger, you’re missing a strategic deferral of a financial crisis on our hands. Much like “flattening the curve” for the sake of public health, we should be flattening the financial borrowing our government is doing in order to save us. If you’re fiscally conservative you would agree with this, but I guess you’re not.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #787
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,081
Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well I can email you or something.

Ok but in all seriousness times are hard, but you do realize you’re part of this place right? I don’t want you to go away. Personally, I think we need you here. We need everyone who contributes (maybe not gzus, since his contributions are really just like roping bricks to your feet and jumping in a deep lake).

It’s going to be a long gazillion months of this shit, so maybe we fight a little bit, disagree, etc etc, but this is a really good outlet. I’m also one who thinks that varying your tasks whilst bound to your home is critical to getting by. Don’t go
I think the big problem, and I'm guilty of this too, is that it seems like every other post is judging or attacking someone's character instead of a healthy discussion. Like LM's post and Headache's response were fine and then it all became personal as usual. I know this is the entire internet right now and again, we're all guilty of it, but it wears on you after a while. Then add the stress of not being able to leave the house...
mikal is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #788
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 03:19 PM
I think it would serve all of us well to take a beat before taking something personally and/or responding to anything in anger to remember that this is a weird, stressful time for us all and maybe we're all deserving of a little extra benefit of the doubt and patience.
Diemen is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #789
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.
Should we all identify things that we are paying for on behalf of those in lower tax brackets than us? And then indignantly proclaim that WE don't want to pay for YOUR social benefits, whatever they may be?
anitram is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #790
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,722
Local Time: 03:19 PM
Seriously, people really need to get over this, "I don't want to pay for others' ____" crap already. All our money is going into the system, at some point we're ALL going to be paying in some form or another for something that may not affect or apply to us specifically, but which could benefit somebody else. That's what happens when you live in a society.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #791
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Seriously, people really need to get over this, "I don't want to pay for others' ____" crap already. All our money is going into the system, at some point we're ALL going to be paying in some form or another for something that may not affect or apply to us specifically, but which could benefit somebody else. That's what happens when you live in a society.


What’s funny is I’m paying for his coronavirus check and he won’t acknowledge that
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 09:19 PM
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/stat...352106497?s=21

Still rings true for 2020
BEAL is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #793
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Ah my favorite term. Leftists.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 09:19 PM
https://twitter.com/iamshanemorris/s...415540226?s=21

Found this entertaining. It’s a long thread
BEAL is offline  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 PM   #795
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 09:19 PM
I like these posts for Gzusrfk

The reason Diamond & Silk can exist is the same reason Candace Owens can exist: It pays to be the lone chocolate chips in a bowl of oatmeal.

They're all playing a role, of course. It's character acting. Right wing media is journalism cosplay.

Just one year before she switched over to Turning Point USA, Candace Owns was running Degree180 -- a Trump bashing website.

They move right when they can't make money on the left.
womanfish is offline  
Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #796
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 04:19 PM


Wow.
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #797
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,973
Local Time: 04:19 PM
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1245007648946368512
DaveC is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 01:21 AM   #798
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post


But these people were going to die eventually anyways dave, you’re missing the point

THE POINT, YOURE MISSING IT
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 AM   #799
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,973
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
But these people were going to die eventually anyways dave, you’re missing the point

THE POINT, YOURE MISSING IT
if only there was someone among our sorry lot who was skilled in reading comprehension who could explain. alas
DaveC is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #800
War Child
 
Jerry Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 939
Local Time: 05:19 PM
There's no better summary of the mental gymnastics being done to dismiss the allegation against Joe Biden than Symone Sanders going back and deleting all of her tweets about Christine Blasey Ford. Absolute insanity.
__________________

Jerry Dunk is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×