US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #761
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I wonder when we'll find out that there is no perfect system, and that the answer is an ever changing combination of all systems based on circumstances

Yeah, we are actually headed the opposite direction. Sports team politics. Hoohaw.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #762
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Elections being on a weekend day makes sense to me. I'm sure there's a few good reasons not to, but I think it would help boost turnout overall if that's the goal.

I don't think I understand or have ever heard the argument against Election Day being a holiday.

Hell, please the private sector with *tax incentives* for taking the day off.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #763
Blue Crack Addict

The problem is also disengagement. Yes there are people who don’t vote because it’s a hassle to go the day of if they have to work or get kids from school or whatever. But early and absentee voting hasn’t really moved the needle with this crowd.

I think the majority of those who don’t vote just don’t care, are disengaged from the political system, have no interest, move in social circles that equally don’t care and making voting on a stat holiday would not incentivize them to do much more than sleep in.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #764
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The problem is also disengagement. Yes there are people who don’t vote because it’s a hassle to go the day of if they have to work or get kids from school or whatever. But early and absentee voting hasn’t really moved the needle with this crowd.

I think the majority of those who don’t vote just don’t care, are disengaged from the political system, have no interest, move in social circles that equally don’t care and making voting on a stat holiday would not incentivize them to do much more than sleep in.

Disengagement is of course a problem. But you fight disengagement through a shift in culture. What's a better way to make a shift in culture than to make a day a celebrated holiday?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #765
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Disengagement is of course a problem. But you fight disengagement through a shift in culture. What's a better way to make a shift in culture than to make a day a celebrated holiday?
You mean like how we all honor our veterans on Memorial Day by getting shit canned and going on vacation?

I don't think making it a holiday will push the needle. It may actually decrease participation.

I think we should focus simply on making it easier. More voting stations, better tech, less 80 year olds handing out long forms to be bubbled in.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #766
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Quote:
You mean like how we all honor our veterans on Memorial Day by getting shit canned and going on vacation?

I don't think making it a holiday will push the needle. It may actually decrease participation.
Yep.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #767
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think we should focus simply on making it easier. More voting stations, better tech, less 80 year olds handing out long forms to be bubbled in.

Well if you envision it like a voting tailgate, sure.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:07 AM
US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber

I think things like extended voting hours and early voting via mail in ballots have a lot more potential to get people to vote than a holiday. As Headache said, I think most people would in fact treat a voting holiday as just that... a holiday. Same with putting it on a Saturday. I don't think most people are going to give up their Saturday to go wait in line to vote.

And, not to be harsh, but if you are so disinterested in democracy that you can't be bothered to vote, including doing something as simple as licking a stamp in some places, I'm not sure I want you voting anyway. The problem, IMO, isn't the inconvenience of voting, it's an apathetic citizenry.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #769
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
I think things like extended voting hours early voting via mail in ballots have a lot more potential to get people to vote than a holiday.
The majority of states already have early voting AND absentee voting. Some states are mail-in only voting. It has not moved the needle as I said.

I don't think that the disengaged care enough to vote regardless of the day or time. And I agree with you that they would be LESS likely to vote on a Saturday.

The only thing I can think of would be internet voting via app or something, the way you do for shareholder meetings but that is rife with problems. First you'd need to get your package with the voter access number in the mail on time (many people move, addresses on file are not updated, voters aren't registered in advance, mail delivery issues), then you'd have to make sure the voting isn't fraudulent, that there is no hacking, double voting, etc. I don't see it as realistic that we're there yet with technology and I also worry that people would see such elections as illegitimate.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #770
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 PM
The state where I live (Oregon...no I'm Oregoropaaawhateverhe'saNazi), has vote by mail and just implemented automatic voter registration. Our voter turnout is one of the highest in the nation. Every state with a Democratic trifecta (governor, House, Senate), needs to implement those reforms. Boosting voter turnout is how Dems win.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #771
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The majority of states already have early voting AND absentee voting. Some states are mail-in only voting. It has not moved the needle as I said.

I don't think that the disengaged care enough to vote regardless of the day or time. And I agree with you that they would be LESS likely to vote on a Saturday.

The only thing I can think of would be internet voting via app or something, the way you do for shareholder meetings but that is rife with problems. First you'd need to get your package with the voter access number in the mail on time (many people move, addresses on file are not updated, voters aren't registered in advance, mail delivery issues), then you'd have to make sure the voting isn't fraudulent, that there is no hacking, double voting, etc. I don't see it as realistic that we're there yet with technology and I also worry that people would see such elections as illegitimate.
i wonder if you would be able to verify your identity via the fingerprint scanner on your phone?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #772
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Would there be a lot of pushback if we were to try and make voting mandatory? Or does that seem like something many would be okay with doing?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #773
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Would there be a lot of pushback if we were to try and make voting mandatory? Or does that seem like something many would be okay with doing?

I think you'd find bipartisanship opposing mandatory voting. Quite against the freedom of choice that the country strives to achieve (though doesn't always get).
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #774
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Well if you envision it like a voting tailgate, sure.
Well, politics in this country is best envisioned as two sports teams and their respective fans playing each other for home field advantage.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #775
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Well, politics in this country is best envisioned as two sports teams and their respective fans playing each other for home field advantage.

I'd play beer pong with Jeb!, that sounds like fun.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #776
Refugee

Local Time: 03:07 AM

What does everyone think of compulsory voting? Here in Aus everyone on the electoral role has to vote or face a fine. Of course political parties need to excite the youth of the day to actually sign onto the role, but our current right wing PM did that via the Marriage Equality survey. Idiot.

Voting also occurs on Saturdays, but it's very easy to vote early at your local council if it's more convenient. Democracy sausages are only served on Saturdays though!

I have friends back in the UK who seem leery of compulsory voting, so I'd imagine it would face an uphill battle in the US.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #777
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'd play beer pong with Jeb!, that sounds like fun.

I had a professor who did. He said Jeb always had the best drugs.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #778
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
What does everyone think of compulsory voting? Here in Aus everyone on the electoral role has to vote or face a fine. Of course political parties need to excite the youth of the day to actually sign onto the role, but our current right wing PM did that via the Marriage Equality survey. Idiot.

Voting also occurs on Saturdays, but it's very easy to vote early at your local council if it's more convenient. Democracy sausages are only served on Saturdays though!

I have friends back in the UK who seem leery of compulsory voting, so I'd imagine it would face an uphill battle in the US.

What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it’s a good policy?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #779
Refugee

Local Time: 03:07 AM

Sure do. I think it should be adopted in more countries worldwide, such as the USA. As an American, do you think it would be beneficial for your government to insist every eligible citizen casts a ballot at the expense of your freedom to not bother?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #780
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
Sure do. I think it should be adopted in more countries worldwide, such as the USA. As an American, do you think it would be beneficial for your government to insist every eligible citizen casts a ballot at the expense of your freedom to not bother?

Yep