The End is Nigh: US Presidential Election Thread Part XVI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The upsides:

1. Trump doesn't want more war
2. Trump doesn't seem to care about gay people one way or the other, I'll take being left alone

I think that's about it.

1. You say that now, until someone from another country provokes him. Not to mention the fact that he has proposed arming other nations with nuclear weapons.
2. You yourself have said that the one actual decision that a presidential candidate makes is the choice of vice president. He chose a man who is as anti-gay as any politician in America.

Real possibility Hillary wins the popular vote despite losing the EC.

Not that it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think the Latino vote thing is because Latinos are not a monolith and his most offensive comments were solely about Mexicans.

Real possibility Hillary wins the popular vote despite losing the EC.

Not that it makes a dufference.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Does anyone do a map of what the election results would be if all states were like Maine and Nebraska?

Remember what I said about Trump making a stink about the election being rigged as a deterrent from people suggesting he's rigged the election... hmm... HMMMMMM

Honestly, given the reports that we've heard about attempts to intimidate voters at the polls in recent weeks, it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that played some sort of role in this outcome.

Which, if that's the case, makes this even more disgusting and absurd. Trump's out there publicly railing against the very thing his supporters were eagerly doing, or trying to do, at least. That is low. So very low.

Wow. I know polls said it'd be tight but still HC was to win.

Now this ? Euro TVs say Trump has 245 electoral votes while Clinton has 215.

So now we have a China trade war advocatin'/Putin and Kim lovin'/zero experience in politics/wall buildin' President. I guess Trump owes this one to the FBI's late case interference...

Remember what I said about Trump making a stink about the election being rigged as a deterrent from people suggesting he's rigged the election... hmm... HMMMMMM

I think I may have said that at the time, but that situation recalls Sideshow Bob rigging the Springfield election.

Maybe a good hot take would be does Donald Trump = Sideshow Bob. :wink:

i gave up. while waiting for the concession/victory speeches i'm going to watch a radiohead concert. i'm depressed enough, might as well take it all the way.

I think the Latino vote thing is because Latinos are not a monolith and his most offensive comments were solely about Mexicans.

Agreed, and a notable portion of Latinos are likely to hold very right-wing/reactionary views which can be connected to US history and relations with Latin America.

The loving, charitable folks over at Breitbart have the ear of the president.

But at least the Senate and Congress will provide balance, right? Its not like Republicans run everything now do they?

I'll say this, too, I do not EVER want to hear Republicans/conservatives complain about celebrity influence in politics again. Their party let a reality TV star become the nominee, and helped support his candidacy to where he'd become president of the entire country.

And they still praise Reagan, who was an actor prior to becoming president, and Schwartzenegger got to run California. So yeah. The right has no room whatsoever to talk anymore on that issue.

1. You say that now, until someone from another country provokes him. Not to mention the fact that he has proposed arming other nations with nuclear weapons.

2. You yourself have said that the one actual decision that a presidential candidate makes is the choice of vice president. He chose a man who is as anti-gay as any politician in America.

This is where the two-party system may actually moderate his insanities. I'm sure the GOP will fall into line on most things, but not all.

But it's tough right now.

he's not going to build a wall on the mexican border - literally impossible.

he's not going to deport all the "illegals" - literally impossible and unconstitutional.

he's not going to ban immigration based on certain religious groups - literally impossible and unconstitutional.

he's not going to rip up nafta - literally impossible.

he's got the codes to 5,000 nuclear warheads, though.

he's not going to build a wall on the mexican border - literally impossible.

he's not going to deport all the "illegals" - literally impossible and unconstitutional.

he's not going to ban immigration based on certain religious groups - literally impossible and unconstitutional.

he's not going to rip up nafta - literally impossible.

he's got the codes to 5,000 nuclear warheads, though.

Don't think those two things are unconstitutional.

You're being a hell of a lot more optimistic than I am right now, Irvine.

It's all I've got. I'd like to think maybe presidents don't have as much power as we think, and an energize D party can do some damage in 2018.

And, to be an asshole, my taxes seem likely to go down. I'll spend the new cash on working to destroy that man.

Thing is, a lot of us will be fine. We can hang on for 4 years. I'm sad for how POC must feel, and for the people that will lose their health care. I'm sad for the hate crimes that will increase. I can't even begin to calculate my foreign policy fears.

But, hey, Susan Sarandon got what she wanted.

There's talk of overseas votes and so on. Has this really happened or is there still chance, any chance, that trump doesn't win?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I've just woken up. What the fuck, you guys? This is terrible.

Reminds me of Brexit. The polls were very reassuring and then the results came in...

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's all I've got. I'd like to think maybe presidents don't have as much power as we think, and an energize D party can do some damage in 2018.

And, to be an asshole, my taxes seem likely to go down. I'll spend the new cash on working to destroy that man.

Thing is, a lot of us will be fine. We can hang on for 4 years. I'm sad for how POC must feel, and for the people that will lose their health care. I'm sad for the hate crimes that will increase. I can't even begin to calculate my foreign policy fears.

But, hey, Susan Sarandon got what she wanted.

Well, I do appreciate the attempt at some optimism and hope. I definitely agree that this does make things look promising for the Democrats in 2018 and beyond, 'cause no way would we want a repeat of tonight, so I really hope that winds up being the case.

For the time being, though, I'm just...very worried about the next four years. So very worried. If I had more money and means on me, I seriously would consider trekking on up to Canada and staying there for a few years. I'm just so frustrated with people here in the U..S. right now. I get that many out there are frustrated, I get the complaints about third party representation, things of that sort...

...but good lord, people, this is not the way to respond to those problems.

And I have zero sympathy for the nationalists and "take our country back!" people who played a role in this outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom