The Case Against Homework? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #161
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Absolutely. Busywork is the problem. I still think that a limited amount of focused homework material will help someone retain what they have learnt in class on the same day.
__________________

LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Busywork was the problem for me when I was younger. Now, all of the homework seems necessary, but the teachers have waaaaaaaaaaay too much curriculum, and have to load up on a nightly basis. In my English class for example, we have a quarter exam tomorrow, which has always meant you get that night to study for it. However, we have so much to do, that I have two other assignments due tomorrow as well. For one, I have to continue reading our third book of the year, and then I have to work with some vocabulary terms. That all on top of preparing for a quarter exam.

And that's one class. I have an exam and a paper due for history in the next four days. I have some assignments, a quiz and an exam for mathematics. I have a quiz and an exam for science. And we just finished a Spanish composition earlier this week.

Too. Much.
__________________

phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,560
Local Time: 05:06 PM
When did high school and grade school become harder than college? When I was in high school about 10 years ago, I had about 2-3 hours of work a night tops. I was taking honors and AP classes too. There were times when I would have a paper to write and maybe do some work on weekends, but I don't recall being super stressed out about things. I would have some sort of math work, short answer assignments, or reading and would be done by 9pm almost every night. I had track practice everyday too so it wasn't like I started my homework right after class ended. Have things really changed that much?
randhail is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
When did high school and grade school become harder than college?
1. When everyone who wasn't a teacher decided that US schools were "dumbing down" the curriculum.

and then

2. When the President and the idiots in Congress decided to link a district's measure of success to students' performance on standardized testing, requiring that every single student no matter what demonstrate proficiency.

and then

3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.
martha is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.
That's just absurd. Schools are not a corporation that has to answer to its shareholders and yet this is exactly what we'd be equating them to in a scenario that you describe. Heaven forbid you get stuck with a poorly performing class - just by the law of averages you will have some classes that are considerably worse than others.
anitram is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #166
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,894
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


1. When everyone who wasn't a teacher decided that US schools were "dumbing down" the curriculum.

and then

2. When the President and the idiots in Congress decided to link a district's measure of success to students' performance on standardized testing, requiring that every single student no matter what demonstrate proficiency.

and then

3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.

Lila64 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 02:06 PM
standardized

standardized

dumb old Bruce keeping me up too late


martha is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


1. When everyone who wasn't a teacher decided that US schools were "dumbing down" the curriculum.

and then

2. When the President and the idiots in Congress decided to link a district's measure of success to students' performance on standardized testing, requiring that every single student no matter what demonstrate proficiency.

and then

3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.
Exactly. My mom's an elementary school teacher, so I've heard many rants from her about No Child Left Behind, which is the most ridiculous education law passed. Standardized tests are a joke to begin with; I'm personally very good at test taking, but there are a lot of kids who are very bright, good students, etc., but just not great test takers. Combine that with the fact that kids are told: "You can't move on in school unless you pass this test," and you end up with kids who are too uptight to actually focus on the test.

What I find the most saddening about this new phenomenon of using standardized tests as a measure of kids' intelligence is that teachers can't adjust their curriculum to focus more time on a unit students find interesting because they have to cram so much in for the tests.
onebloodonelife is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,771
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
I'm personally very good at test taking, but there are a lot of kids who are very bright, good students, etc., but just not great test takers.
. Maybe that was my problem sometimes, then? There were times when I'd do the homework for a math class, and it seemed to all click then, but for some reason, when the test rolled around, it just didn't seem to go over well that day.

I think it also didn't help me that some of those math tests were timed ones. I really hated it then, I always was more concerned about finishing the whole test in time than I was trying to figure out the problem (I cannot solve math problems, unless they're extremely simple ones, in my head within 5 seconds. My dad can, and I really envy him for that ability).

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
What I find the most saddening about this new phenomenon of using standardized tests as a measure of kids' intelligence is that teachers can't adjust their curriculum to focus more time on a unit students find interesting because they have to cram so much in for the tests.
Bingo. Exactly .

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:06 PM
My math teacher, who seems to be incredibly ignorant, innocently asked as Monday, "Why do you guys worry so much about grades? Why don't you care more about learning things?"

While it's not her fault, it's an incredibly stupid question.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


I do think this factors in. The Americans lag behind a lot of the rest of the world in most subjects and a glance at top graduate schools in the US will point that out as well. Same problem in Canada, actually.

The math we're learning in 8th grade, the Japanese probably did in 5th. That's the reality we're faced with.
Good thing that their not having enough kids.
__________________

A_Wanderer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×