Show your conservative pride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that the irony is that most times it is the liberals who declared the red states to be Jesus Land.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well all you conservatives have a store of your own now.

http://www.redstatestore.com/

-----------------------------------------

My favorite is "Proud to be from Jesus Land":|

Once again claiming they have Jesus and no one else does.

Haha! I should get some stuff from there to send to a friend in Canada who keeps laughing at me 'cause I'm stuck down here in Jesusland (he calls it Jesuslandia). Then again...I'm sure as hell not going to send my money to them. :madspit:

If I had a lot of money to throw around, I'd buy so much shit from this place and give it to my friends as joke gifts. :wink:

I want to get that "Conservatives Do it Right" bumper sticker for my dad.

A_Wanderer said:
I think that the irony is that most times it is the liberals who declared the red states to be Jesus Land.
I do think that is weird, although I understand it's their way of mocking us.

And by the way, nice thread. :)

Macfistowannabe said:
I do think that is weird, although I understand it's their way of mocking us.

And by the way, nice thread. :)

Yes it is mocking because so many spend so much time and energy claiming Jesus is on their side.

Well, on comparisan to secular liberal views, a lot of conservative views are bible-based, are they not?

Macfistowannabe said:
Well, on comparisan to secular liberal views, a lot of conservative views are bible-based, are they not?

No, and we should never claim that Jesus in on our side. We should be on Jesus' side.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No, and we should never claim that Jesus in on our side. We should be on Jesus' side.
I'm not saying we should ever claim Jesus is on our side, even if some righties make that claim. I do feel that my political leanings are inspired by my faith.

Macfistowannabe said:
I do feel that my political leanings are inspired by my faith.

That's fine for I feel the same way, but that's not what you said. You stated that a lot of conservative views are "Bible based" and that liberal views aren't, and that's entirely false.

Conservatives generally smugly claim that their views are "bible based" when in fact they are based on a selective reading of certain passages. Indeed, it would seem that the general thrust of Jesus' message of peace, love, good to the poor, etc. has been completely overlooked and forgotten in favor of Pharasaical moralizing. A very sad quandry indeed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
My favorite is "Proud to be from Jesus Land":|

Once again claiming they have Jesus and no one else does.

:rolleyes:

Please don't fall into the blue state victim mentality.

The label "Jesus Land" was designed as a slur against red state voters (because, apparently, we all voted according to our faith)

It is often repeated that if Group A claims something, then it automatically implies that Group B doesn't have that same thing.

This is bad logic and a victimization game that is an embarrassment to the American society.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Conservatives generally smugly claim that their views are "bible based" when in fact they are based on a selective reading of certain passages. Indeed, it would seem that the general thrust of Jesus' message of peace, love, good to the poor, etc. has been completely overlooked and forgotten in favor of Pharasaical moralizing. A very sad quandry indeed.

Which is more accurate: specific passages or general "thrusts"?

There are many groups, conservative and liberal, who build cases on one single passage. This is destructive.

But I would think that interpretation based on multiple passages across Scripture would not only be acceptable, but encouraged.

Re: Re: Show your conservative pride

nbcrusader said:

The label "Jesus Land" was designed as a slur against red state voters (because, apparently, we all voted according to our faith)

I voted according to my faith, my vote was for Kerry, as was the majority of votes of people in my stete.

sulawesigirl4 said:

That is a BIG generalization even with you using the word "generally".

We just had the most Conservative Radio Host here in Boston pass away in the past few months. He happened to be Gay. He was not a religious person in the manner in which you imply. Having been on the republican town committee here when I was a republican, I knew many conservatives, none of whom EVER mention the bible.

It gets kind of old around coming in to what you hope would be a good discussion, but it is continued stereotyping.

Any chance at moving away from this? Anyone?

Re: Re: Re: Show your conservative pride

cardosino said:

I voted according to my faith, my vote was for Kerry, as was the majority of votes of people in my stete.

I'm from a red state, but my vote for Kerry was also faith-based. Catholics weren't told who specifically to vote for, but it was for which ever candidate we felt was most consistently in line with the "consistent life ethic" which was the contribution of the great Joseph Cardinal Bernardin. There was a huge controversy in the Church over Kerry's position on abortion, some felt it was inconsistent with church teachings. But, the Catholic Church also opposes capital punishment and the pope was an outspoken opponent of the war in Iraq. So defining a "pro-life" agenda isn't a matter of one issue, it's a composite.

One other thing....I am assuming this thread was to make fun of conservatives......

I wonder though, if the link to a similar store that sells Liberal items would be so well received in here.....

And here I thought maybe we could just have a chuckle at some T-shirts and bumper stickers, some of which truly are funny and would make nice gift items for our conservative friends and relatives. ;)

Unfortunately, religion and politics are two subjects that people can't talk nicely about - especially when people want to combine the two.

People just feel these two subjects intensely - on all sides of the issues. :yes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Show your conservative pride

verte76 said:
I'm from a red state, but my vote for Kerry was also faith-based. Catholics weren't told who specifically to vote for, but it was for which ever candidate we felt was most consistently in line with the "consistent life ethic" which was the contribution of the great Joseph Cardinal Bernardin. There was a huge controversy in the Church over Kerry's position on abortion, some felt it was inconsistent with church teachings. But, the Catholic Church also opposes capital punishment and the pope was an outspoken opponent of the war in Iraq. So defining a "pro-life" agenda isn't a matter of one issue, it's a composite.
You don't have to be a republican to have faith-based views. A lot of the liberals I see on here are Christians, who defend their views on bigger government as a way of helping the poor, they defend their stance on health care, the war, and capital punishment as a life ethic (and it is), so really, faith isn't a partisan thing, you may feel that one side is wrong on those issues, as they feel you are wrong about certain issues you represent. Faith influences politics, but neither republicans or democrats "own" The Bible, they just have different interpretations.

paxetaurora said:
And here I thought maybe we could just have a chuckle at some T-shirts and bumper stickers, some of which truly are funny and would make nice gift items for our conservative friends and relatives. ;)

Yes this was the reason for this thread, I'm glad someone got it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show your conservative pride

Macfistowannabe said:
You don't have to be a republican to have faith-based views. A lot of the liberals I see on here are Christians, who defend their views on bigger government as a way of helping the poor, they defend their stance on health care, the war, and capital punishment as a life ethic (and it is), so really, faith isn't a partisan thing, you may feel that one side is wrong on those issues, as they feel you are wrong about certain issues you represent. Faith influences politics, but neither republicans or democrats "own" The Bible, they just have different interpretations.

That's the way I look at it, too. I understand that some Christians have different views about the size of government and such, I really don't mind this. I just want some respect for my right to have my views. I live in a bastion of distrust for "big government"; Southerners traditionally do not like too much government intervention. I'm quirky, so I developed liberal views at variance with most people who live here. It's the neighborhood I grew up in. It was stifling, and I rebelled. It was the kind of place where you can cut the paranoia with a knife, it was always palpable. The local Ku Klux Klan group met somewhere close, I never exactly knew where because they were officially a secret organization and I never wanted to know where the damn KKK was meeting anyway. Others have different experiences, maybe they had bad experiences with liberal/lefty types.

Re: Re: Show your conservative pride

nbcrusader said:

It is often repeated that if Group A claims something, then it automatically implies that Group B doesn't have that same thing.

This is bad logic and a victimization game that is an embarrassment to the American society.

No victim, I could care less what people claim, it's just hypocritical. And yes I've heard many claim they are the only party to have Jesus, so there isn't any logic games going on here.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes this was the reason for this thread, I'm glad someone got it.

My humble apologies then.....I am just plain tired of coming into fym and watching yet another thread BASH conservatives and those who may hold a evangelical bend to their religion.

My attitude may have been magnified because of the migrane spell I am in. Demerol and two vicadin and I am still in pain. If at 8:00 tonight when I call my DR. I am not any better I am heading into the ER for morphine.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom