sesame streeet to get new hiv + character

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sulawesigirl4 said:
"By condoning the ways it is acquired"...did you ever stop to think that a lot of these children acquired this disease through the process of their birth? In what way is that morally unexcusable or even reprehensible?

Hahah... I forsaw the coming.. Im sort of a prophet you know.. Hahah.. Yes I did stop to think.. In fact, I took my hallowed 18 minute lunch break to go sit on the can and think about this exact thing... AIDS is preventable.. I referenced above earlier in this thread 'The Root Cause' of AIDS, not being 'born with it' and having it 'appear'..

This post is only in reference to 'Being Born With AIDS'.. Just to avoid confusion.

But as a side note... Blood Transfusions?.. That is not the major way HIV is transferred.. That's a patronizing 'Oh Well What About This' line of thought.. You statement was good enough, but your motivation gives it away, and doesn't really apply to what we are discussing.. But then you can't forget those blood transfers that come from a dirty needle laced with heroin, stale excrement, and infected blood residue.

I'd be interested in finding out just how many of these people know they have AIDS before they Have kids.. Sula.. I'd like to see just how Morally Responsible it is if the percentage is high of Parents who Have AIDS, then like dumb shits, go and have a kid? Again.. AIDS is preventable.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
My question is THIS..
Why does the sick child have to have AIDS?

Is a terminally ill child w-
Cancer:(
Cystic Fibrosis:(
Lukekemia..:(

less important?:confused:

Moreover..isnt more IMPORTANT to be COMPASSIONATE of any sick child w/any illness because THEY did not volunteer for the diesease ?:idea:

I do not think the TYPE of ILLNESS should of been disclosed..
After all compassion should know no boundries..
Peace-
DB9
:idea:

Last edited:
I assume that in your moment of clairvoyance, you also remembered that a lot of these people are not aware that they carry the disease and are not educated about how it is spread.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I assume that in your moment of clairvoyance, you also remembered that a lot of these people are not aware that they carry the disease and are not educated about how it is spread.

Ah I think you are hitting on something!! I've always been a big proponent as Education is the best Aid. Like I wrote, I'm interested in knowing just how many or how few know they actually carry AIDS.. Imagine the parallels.. If no one knows they have AIDS.. then is AIDS a problem?.. It's as if it doesn't exist.. Hahaha.. But Sula.. That's exactly my question.. I'll be looking for some Numbers and what not... I could begin to apply this quote of yours and the point it makes to Bono's Give Me Money Campaign, but I haven't the time to jump into a swirling Toilet Bowl while Flying directly into a Black Hole.

Take Care,
L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:

But as a side note... Blood Transfusions?.. That is not the major way HIV is transferred.. That's a patronizing 'Oh Well What About This' line of thought.. You statement was good enough, but your motivation gives it away, and doesn't really apply to what we are discussing.. But then you can't forget those blood transfers that come from a dirty needle laced with heroin, stale excrement, and infected blood residue.

L.Unplugged

yes, true--transmission of HIV via blood transfusions is all but non existent anymore, but since I know someone...well, it was relevant to me

that said, you are one cold blooded human and are now the second person to go on my ignore list . b'bye now.

Lemonite said:

If no one knows they have AIDS.. then is AIDS a problem?.. It's as if it doesn't exist.. Hahaha.. But Sula.. That's exactly my question.. I'll be looking for some Numbers and what not... I could begin to apply this quote of yours and the point it makes to Bono's Give Me Money Campaign, but I haven't the time to jump into a swirling Toilet Bowl while Flying directly into a Black Hole.

Take Care,
L.Unplugged

I think it's a bigger problem if people are unaware that they have AIDS/HIV. Firstly, they'll obviously not be getting any treatment, even in the rare instance that it might be available to them. Secondly, if someone isn't aware they have the illness they're not able to take precautions against it being transmitted to others. That said, I'm absolutely not condemning people for not taking a HIV/AIDS test where it's available - it would be terrifying to find out you had this illness but to be unable to receive any sort of treatment for it.

Lemonite, if you're looking for information about AIDS/HIV you might like to try UNAIDS (the UN program on AIDS/HIV) at www.unaids.org. It's a very educational and objective source of information.

AIDS is not deafness. By Making it Socially Acceptable, we're condoning the ways it is aquired. Anyways, We're going off the assumption made by Bama here that the kids just see AIDS 'appear' without any insight into how it comes about... SStreet will not delve into sexuality or how the disease comes about.. So, they're just BSing the kids.. By not giving them the full story.. they'll grow up and realize the reality.. Sesame Street is 'pretending' to expose these kids to AIDS.

So is it then better for Sesame Street to completely ignore the issue instead?

And about your statement that AIDS will be made "socially acceptable"...well, that's awkward for 2 reasons.

1.) I don't see where AIDS is socially acceptable, since millions of dollars are being spent to eliminate it.

2.) I don't see that ANY disease or disability is socially acceptable, since billions of dollars are being spent to eradicate many other diseases and disabilities as well.

So you need to perhaps phrase yourself a little more clearly, for example, "People with AIDS will be made socially acceptable." And heaven knows that we wouldn't want something like that happening.

I can't believe that people who align themselves with Christianity are so eager to blame HIV+ people for their situation. People with cancer or lupus or glaucoma or (name your favorite debilitating disease here) don't seem to get blamed for their situations. Yet HIV+ positive people are painted as nymphomaniacal, anti-family "faggots," "junkies," etc. etc. etc. Some have suggested that AIDS is a punishment from God for homosexuality/drug use/etc.

One can make the argument that their behavior was in fact responsible for them contracting the disease. But again, there is a double standard. HIV+ people are the only ones who suffer from a societal stance that since they *might* be responsible, in whole or in part, for their positive status, then they deserve to suffer.

I find this to be a highly uncharitable viewpoint, and completely indefensible when it comes to children. I think Sesame Street has at least taken a step in the right direction by *wanting to make an attempt* to include HIV+ children in their universe.

I can't wait for the plush version of this muppet. Do you think it will have the same popularity at Christmas time In South Africa that "Tickle Me Elmo" had here in the states a few years ago?

paxetaurora said:

So is it then better for Sesame Street to completely ignore the issue instead?

An amusing way to put it... Though 'Not Deal With' is just as applicable a synonym for 'Completely Ignore'.

I do not need to rephrase.

As a short answer... Yes.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom