quebec should be removed from canada by extreme force. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:54 AM
I re-read your post and saw that you confused the Parti Québécois (PQ) with the Bloc Québécois (BQ). The former is on the provincial level (see my previous post), the latter on the federal level.

Both parties advocate Québec independence.

However:

The BQ is an even worse measure of the separatist movement in Québec. Voting for the BQ is a very safe vote, since the party will never have full powers and will thus never have the opportunity to propose a referendum on independence, unlike the PQ.

The share of protest votes alloted to the BQ is surprisingly high. People vote for them either because they are separatist themselves, because they don't like the other three major parties at that moment (a considerable share of the Liberal vote was shifted to the BQ following the sponsorship scandal), or because they feel that the BQ helps shift the power to the left in the house of commons (the NDP would also do this, but they are rather unknown in Québec, really).

Québec voters are strange.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Nevertheless, one thing must not be forgotten: a vote for the PQ is not necessarily a vote for independence. I know loads of people who vote for the PQ since it is the only major left-leaning party in Québec. These same people also reject independence.
I understand this. I question whether many other people outside Québec understand this, if only because of "guilt by association." Thus, we periodically get these articles in the media questioning the loyalty of Québec to the rest of Canada.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Thus, we periodically get these articles in the media questioning the loyalty of Québec to the rest of Canada.
Which is quite understandable. A large amount of Quebecers don't really "feel" Canadian. This includes separatists, but also a fraction of the people who reject independence for other motives such as the alleged economic impacts.

(Not my case, though. I feel very Canadian. And Québécois, too.)
Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
I think English Canada will find it hard to believe this, as long as the PQ keeps on getting elected. They are, by definition, a separatist party, yes?

And, sure, I do understand it's a bit more complicated than that, with issues of protest votes and questions as to whether the other three viable parties at the federal level can represent Québec's interests. Hell, I question whether they can viably represent English Canadian interests!
No, not really.

The PQ has been a party of ebb and flow, and they tend to do well in Quebec when the the people get sick of the Liberals or there is some kind of Liberal scandal in progress. Then you see the PQ rise and the Conservatives grab a handful of predictable seats. I don't think that there is a general feeling in English Canada that the continued election of ___ seats of the PQ really reflects separatist sentiment.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:54 AM
where is your god now, financeguy?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
The Fly

Only a small group of Separatists complained about his presence. Apparently, the concert was a huge success, so you shouldn't overstate the discontent of a few.

However, Sir Paul was an odd choice to lead the Quebec City 400th anniversary celebrations. First, he's an Anglophone. Second, he's English, the very people who conquered Quebec. Bad optics, that's all.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

My mom just flew to Quebec this afternoon, and says the concert was awesome, regardless of the politics.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:54 AM
People need to stop whining about politics and conflicts that happened hundreds of years ago or go back to being voyagers trading with the Indians.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 02:54 AM
My personal opinion, so don't kill me. The Quebec issue is never going to end, ever. Who won the bloody war anyway? This question is pointless and the people that are for Quebec sovereignty are never going to be on the same team as the rest of the country. Perhaps it's time they leave. Sorry, it's the way I feel and I'm not alone with this sentiment here in Vancouver.

In regards to Canada, my Queen represents her subjects and subjects that are proud of it's institution and what binds us together. The amazing thing is, the Queen of Canada represents everyone single person in an unbiased and apolitical way and that even serves those that are against it. That's pretty cool isn't it? Not something you would see in partisan politics. Constitutional monarchy, until there is a better system, I find, is the way to go. If Quebec doesn't want to be a part of this very successful and modern system, then, off you go. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
Constitutional monarchy, until there is a better system, I find, is the way to go. If Quebec doesn't want to be a part of this very successful and modern system, then, off you go. Good luck.
Constitutional monarchy...fine, but why choose a foreign queen then? I have said before, why should it not be one that can actually trace their roots from the region, rather than a foreign invader (of, I believe, Germanic origin).

Imperialism is not something I understand or have any sympathy for.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
(of, I believe, Germanic origin).
Even back then it was already quite a mixture.

We are doing fine with a President. In my view a nice substitute for a monarch.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #32
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
My personal opinion, so don't kill me. The Quebec issue is never going to end, ever. Who won the bloody war anyway? This question is pointless and the people that are for Quebec sovereignty are never going to be on the same team as the rest of the country. Perhaps it's time they leave. Sorry, it's the way I feel and I'm not alone with this sentiment here in Vancouver.

[...]

If Quebec doesn't want to be a part of this very successful and modern system, then, off you go. Good luck.
Very well - as long as you don't put all Quebecers in one big category. Not all Quebecers want independence. In fact, the majority of Quebecers don't want it. So Québec is not going anywhere, which is good news both for Québec and Canada, in my opinion.

The independence debate has been going on for ages and will not die out anytime soon, although the trend is indeed towards a steady decline.

Seriously, you should see what family reunions are like in Québec - politics are usually verboten, since half the family is separatist and the other half is federalist! (In my family, anyway.)