pot makes you smarter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I give women Vertigo when in the bedroom.....

Should I be illegal?:|

I have nothing really to add here, except it is true smoking cigarettes lessens your chances of having Parkinson's disease, as does drinking coffee. So there is one benefit.

Dreadsox said:
I give women Vertigo when in the bedroom.....

Should I be illegal?:|

You can tell your beautiful wife that I said it was OK to rap you in the back of the head. Honestly!

Oh - and to this subject... I agree with Melon & NBC. I don't think it should be legal unless prescribed by a doctor and I think tobacco should be outlawed. It took me 8 years to finally quit smoking and I just don't get why cigarettes are so available when they are so addicting and cause so many health problems. Sorry Mods, I had to add my 2 cents to that subject and I don't think I have in the past.

Anyhow - the people that I know that smoked pot in their 20's and beyond are not the most motivated people in their 40's. Pot definately affects motivation. I don't know how pot can make them smarter when the people I know struggle from paycheck to paycheck more...

BostonAnne said:

Anyhow - the people that I know that smoked pot in their 20's and beyond are not the most motivated people in their 40's. Pot definately affects motivation. I don't know how pot can make them smarter when the people I know struggle from paycheck to paycheck more...

Do you have any idea how many hugely successful people smoke a lot of pot throughout their lives and how many total failures never drink or do drugs?

joyfulgirl said:

Do you have any idea how many hugely successful people smoke a lot of pot throughout their lives and how many total failures never drink or do drugs?

Willie Nelson, how many have recorded that many albums for that long, still record and tour at his age and still stay relevant?

The man smokes a joint first thing every morning.

BostonAnne said:

This is clinically unproven not to mention IMHO a load of crap. Everyone's body chemistry is very different. SOME people may lack motivation when smoking pot, not all pot smokers (aka "herbalists" ) Also there are different "strains" of pot around the country......some laced, some much stronger than others and that makes a vast difference in how it affects people's individual body chemistry. The affects are similar to consumption of alcohol.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out, and I happen to know a rocket scientist who is an avid pot smoker. How is that explained?

I struggle from paycheck to paycheck and it is not from smoking pot, it is from high cost of living and a crap economy plus being at the top of my earning level at the moment. I lcurrently ack motivation to do anything about it. The connotation is not that I am a pot smoker !

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Willie Nelson, how many have recorded that many albums for that long, still record and tour at his age and still stay relevant?

Willie Nelson's relevant? :huh:

yarof

Yes, foray, for the purposes of this thread, Willie Nelson is relevant.

Hey, he was in a Beck video! I wonder if Beck does pot?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

he will also tell you that pot saved him from killing himself with alcohol.

I guess I put my foot in my mouth. I really hate the stuff and in my personal experience - the pot smokers I have known have been less successful in life than the non pot smokers.

I have nothing to debate as it's just my opinion/personal experience. Sorry if I offended anyone.

BostonAnne said:
I guess I put my foot in my mouth. I really hate the stuff and in my personal experience - the pot smokers I have known have been less successful in life than the non pot smokers.

I have nothing to debate as it's just my opinion/personal experience. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't think you offended anyone Anne, that's your experience and you related it. I didn't see you doing anything else.

That's why I stay out of threads like this, anyhoo..

BostonAnne said:

No offense taken. :hug:

But I do think that it's a common misperception that pot smokers are lazy and unmotivated. In my experience, pot can often exaggerate qualities/tendencies already present within a person. For example, highly creative people become more creative; lazy people become more lazy; nervous/anxious people become paranoid, etc. Not always but it's not uncommon.

But I've worked with/come in contact with a lot of wildly successful people who smoke pot almost everyday, or every evening, after work. Famous writers I've worked with have lit up joints in the car after a reading and on the way to dinner. Look at pothead Bill Maher--has his own TV show on HBO and whether you agree with his politics or like his humor or not, he's successful and is a very sharp, clear-thinking person. Many, many actors, stock brokers, filmmakers, musicians, painters, screenwriters, etc., smoke pot the way others have a drink in the evening. It's so not a big deal, especially when you consider all the other dangerous things that are legal (skydiving anyone?) yet potentially fatal. If the government were really that concerned about our health every American would have health insurance and pesticides would be illegal, just for starters. Marijuana is a political issue, not a health issue.

Irvine511 said:

he will also tell you that pot saved him from killing himself with alcohol.

Same with a close friend. Alcohol led to cocaine and/or meth about 90% of the time and he nearly died several times. Now off alcohol and hard drugs, he quit smoking cigarettes, smokes pot almost everyday, and is making more money in the next couple of months as a mortgage broker than I make in an entire year.

joyfulgirl said:
If the government were really that concerned about our health every American would have health insurance and pesticides would be illegal, just for starters. Marijuana is a political issue, not a health issue.

trenchant observation.

i don't think there's much of a question that there's a lot of fear and misinformation surrounding marijuana, much of it rooted in anti-Mexican racism from the first part of the 20th century, to pot being connected with the hippies in the 1960s and thereby linked to some sort of left wing plot to get us all stoned and turn us into communists.

in my experience, i have seen people burn out on pot. i have seen people also see themselves buring out, getting fat, losing motivation, so they then stop smoking pot because it isn't good for them. i know that i cannot smoke pot during the week because i will be too slow the next day to keep up at work. it's sort of a "special occasion" thing for me, and as i mentioned, it did greatly help me through some very anxious periods of my life.

i would also add, that while pot might kill some people's motivation, the negative side effects of pot (and there are many) seem to be mostly limited to the user, not to anyone else. contrast this with alcohol -- when people drink, they tend to get into fights, beat their spouses, crash their cars, date rape women, send themselves to the emergency room with alcohol poisoning, etc. where i went to college, being an athlete meant that you actually had a second sport, which was drinking, and it was amazing to see how many friendships were ruined, doors broken, couches overturned, bathrooms made unspeakable, fights started, tears shed, and, sadly, even ambulences called all due to alcohol.

i also don't drink during the week either, unless it's a "special occasion" -- i.e., a happy hour, a birthday, etc. i find alcohol messes with my sleep patterns.

but, as we all know, people can and do drink responsibly.

Irvine511 said:

in my experience, i have seen people burn out on pot. i have seen people also see themselves buring out, getting fat, losing motivation, so they then stop smoking pot because it isn't good for them. i know that i cannot smoke pot during the week because i will be too slow the next day to keep up at work. it's sort of a "special occasion" thing for me, and as i mentioned, it did greatly help me through some very anxious periods of my life.

i would also add, that while pot might kill some people's motivation, the negative side effects of pot (and there are many) seem to be mostly limited to the user, not to anyone else. contrast this with alcohol -- when people drink, they tend to get into fights, beat their spouses, crash their cars, date rape women, send themselves to the emergency room with alcohol poisoning, etc.

i also don't drink during the week either, unless it's a "special occasion" -- i.e., a happy hour, a birthday, etc. i find alcohol messes with my sleep patterns.

but, as we all know, people can and do drink responsibly.

:up: I agree with all of this and have had similar experiences myself and with others. I think one of the most common things I've seen with long term regular pot use is that it can interfere with interpersonal relationships. One friend is always high when I see her and I finally said look, I don't even know who you are when you're not high--which means I don't know who you are because you're always high. But many things interfere with interpersonal relationships, such as watching too much TV, spending too much time on the internet, etc. But just as many people drink responsibly, many smoke pot responsibly.

My personal experience (as we all seem to be sharing them):

During the day, I wake up, do all the hygiene stuff (shower, shave, etc). Then I go to class, pay attention, take lots of notes...the usual.

After class, I come home, I eat supper, hang out with my friends for a little bit usually, then work on any homework or readings that I have to do for the evening.

I make sure that I've got absolutely everything done for the day and there's nothing important that still needs to be done, then I go get my friends. We sit in one's room as he rolls a joint, then go outside to smoke it and take a stroll around the neighborhood, keeping an eye out for kids (we cross the street -- don't want to negatively influence them) and cops (don't want to get arrested). We talk and have a good time. Then we walk back inside, stop at the vending machines for juice and chips, then go upstairs into the TV lounge and watch TV (usually sports) for an hour or 2 and chat until we decide to go to bed.

Am I a menace to society?

DaveC said:

Am I a menace to society?

Just lay off the chips. The partially hydrogenated oils are pure evil and will eventually kill you, as many European countries know and thus have already banned them.

:wink:

joyfulgirl said:

Just lay off the chips. The partially hydrogenated oils are pure evil and will eventually kill you, as many European countries know and thus have already banned them.

you know, i was going to say the same thing ... now that evil stuff that's in virtually everything in a vending machine should be illegal.

and corn syrup too.

and aspartame.

How many people are aware that their behavior is self-destructive or a problem to others?

PityTheUnbornChild.jpg

:|

That's terrible, you would think today people would know.

How did we survive? I wonder how many of us were in utero while our mothers smoked?

My birth mom was a highschool student in the 70's in a very blue collar town, I figure my chances are high.

nbcrusader said:
How many people are aware that their behavior is self-destructive or a problem to others?

i take your point about smoking while pregnant.

but are you implying that there can be no such thing as, say, responsible pot smoking, or drinking, or really any sort of vice, because your personal choices might influence someone else who might not be able to handle any sort of vices? to what degree are my choices responsible for the behavior of others?

BostonAnne said:

You can tell your beautiful wife that I said it was OK to rap you in the back of the head. Honestly!

The next time you and I and my beautiful wife get together (December 4? Ellipse?) you can tell her I mentioned the episode on the page here....hehehe.....

I gave her VERTIGO and I am proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom