new Pope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:banghead:

It's so strange. Just before the announcement was made, one of my co-workers, who is also Catholic, said she didn't think it would be Ratzinger...at least she hoped. I agreed. Then the announcement came. :| It's not like I was expecting a great reformer or anything like that. Just...well, not this guy.

Bono's shades said:
:banghead:

It's so strange. Just before the announcement was made, one of my co-workers, who is also Catholic, said she didn't think it would be Ratzinger...at least she hoped. I agreed. Then the announcement came. :| It's not like I was expecting a great reformer or anything like that. Just...well, not this guy.

I agree...while I don't think even the most liberal of Pope's would have managed to change the church much, it's disappointing to see Ratzinger. I predict the Italians will be fairly outspoken in their opposition...

But wait a minute..If you are Catholic, aren't you supposed to cheerfully accept whoever is chosen as Pope? Afterall, it is supposed to be God's will, right?

FullonEdge2 said:
But wait a minute..If you are Catholic, aren't you supposed to cheerfully accept whoever is chosen as Pope? Afterall, it is supposed to be God's will, right?

A good question for a different thread. When we identify ourselves as "Christian," "Catholic," "Presbyterian," or whatever, are these self-defined titles, or must we accept the authority of a specific institution to use the title?

FullonEdge2 said:

well, you are bringing up an issue that was discussed a little earlier on this thread. As with most things, there are many varieties of catholicism, and I don't know any catholics who 1) agree and embrace all tenets of the religion, or 2) believe everything about the church should be accepted "cheerfully." Perhaps there are some who think these things shouldn't be questioned, but in my experience, they are a minority.

FullonEdge2 said:

The line between "God's will" and "man's will" is quite thin.

I tend to wonder if the election of a Pope is any different from the election of a President in that there's probably a lot of backstabbing and politicking behind the scenes. The difference is that the papal conclave is kept very very secret, probably to prevent public exhibition of Vatican politics.

Melon

melon said:

The line between "God's will" and "man's will" is quite thin.

I tend to wonder if the election of a Pope is any different from the election of a President in that there's probably a lot of backstabbing and politicking behind the scenes. The difference is that the papal conclave is kept very very secret, probably to prevent public exhibition of Vatican politics.

Melon

Yes, I tend to think it is mostly political backstabbing, except not nearly as bad as it was in the Middle Ages. In those days, Popes were often driven by political and national agendas. I know there is no perfect denonimation of Christianity, but I often wonder why so many people disagree with Catholic doctrines, yet remain Catholic.

FullonEdge2 said:

Yes, I tend to think it is mostly political backstabbing, except not nearly as bad as it was in the Middle Ages. In those days, Popes were often driven by political and national agendas. I know there is no perfect denonimation of Christianity, but I often wonder why so many people disagree with Catholic doctrines, yet remain Catholic.

I think the answer is that religion is not just a belief system--it's tied strongly to culture, ethnicity, and customs. People choose to participate in the Catholic community without always embracing all the ideologies and doctrines. I think people always pick and choose aspects of a religion that appeal to them. There is sizeable gray area in "belonging to a religion" and blindly following a set of beliefs.

Italians flock to church for baptisms, confirmations, and weddings--95% of the country is Catholic. 10% attend mass regularly, or some relatively low percentage that is in that ballpark.

ruffian said:

I think the answer is that religion is not just a belief system--it's tied strongly to culture, ethnicity, and customs. People choose to participate in the Catholic community without always embracing all the ideologies and doctrines. I think people always pick and choose aspects of a religion that appeal to them. There is sizeable gray area in "belonging to a religion" and blindly following a set of beliefs.

Italians flock to church for baptisms, confirmations, and weddings--95% of the country is Catholic. 10% attend mass regularly, or some relatively low percentage that is in that ballpark.

Yeah, I see your point and it makes sense, but it really disturbs me. It's like diluting religion. I don't know if that's what Ratzinger was talking about, but I saw his quote about the world today becoming increasingly egocentric. Perhaps that is a viable observation too?

ruffian said:

well, you are bringing up an issue that was discussed a little earlier on this thread. As with most things, there are many varieties of catholicism, and I don't know any catholics who 1) agree and embrace all tenets of the religion, or 2) believe everything about the church should be accepted "cheerfully." Perhaps there are some who think these things shouldn't be questioned, but in my experience, they are a minority.

well, it depends. Dan Savage, sex columnist extraordinairre, brings up this very savvy point:

"What's maddening about this pope's signature gay bashing is this: When the pope — the dead one, the next one, the one after that — says something stupid about homosexuality, straight folks take it to heart. The church's efforts have helped defeat gay rights bills, led to the omission of gays and lesbians from hate-crime statutes, and helped to pass anti-gay-marriage amendments. But when a pope says something stupid about heterosexuality, straight Americans go deaf. And this pope had plenty to say about heterosexual sex — no contraceptives, no premarital sex, no blowjobs, no jerkin' off, no divorce, no remarriage, no artificial insemination, no blowjobs, no three-ways, no swinging, no blowjobs, no anal. Did I mention no blowjobs? John Paul II had more "no's" for straight people than he did for gays. But when he tried to meddle in the private lives of straights, the same people who deferred to his delicate sensibilities where my rights were concerned suddenly blew the old asshole off. Gay blowjobs are expendable, it seems; straight ones are sacred."

FullonEdge2 said:
I know there is no perfect denonimation of Christianity, but I often wonder why so many people disagree with Catholic doctrines, yet remain Catholic.

Well, if everyone just left the Church every time they had a small problem with it we'd be stuck with thousands of Christian denominations. :huh:

Oh wait. :wink:

Seriously though, I (as a Catholic) may not agree with everything that most people in my Church seem to believe (aka the whole gay issue), but I still believe in enough for me to think of Catholicism as the best-suited religion for me. Everyone in the Church doesn't have to have the same opinion on every single subject. It's never happened that way and never will.

Edit: Oh, and Irvine - Savage brings up a good point. Straight people should take a look at their own private lives before condemning the private lives of someone with a different sexuality as they have.

Last edited:
Interesting, for what it's worth. I also think it's interesting that he has a "fan club"

BERLIN (AFP) - Pope Benedict XVI, the former German cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, has said he was an unwilling participant in the Hitler Youth movement during World War II.

"As soon as I left the seminary, I did not go straight into the Hitler Youth," Ratzinger said in an interview with German journalist Peter Seewald.

"And that was difficult because in order to qualify for the reduction in schooling fees that I needed, you had to prove you had paid a visit to the Hitler Youth."

When membership of the movement became compulsory in 1941, Ratzinger's older brother Georg joined and the future Pope Benedict XVI was then enrolled, against his will, he has said in a number of interviews.

According to the website of the Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club, in 1943, with World War II at its peak, Ratzinger and the rest of his seminary class were drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps, the Flak, although he was still allowed to attend classes at high school in the southern city of Munich three times a week.

In September 1944, having reached military age, he was released from the Flak and returned home, only to be drafted into a labour detail commanded by men he described as "fanatical ideologues", the website said.

In November 1944, he underwent basic training with the German infantry but due to illness he was allowed to skip the most physical aspects of military training.

As the Allied advance drew nearer, Ratzinger deserted the army and returned to the southern town of Traunstein where he had studied at the seminary.

When the US troops reached the town, they used Ratzinger's house as their headquarters.

He was identified as a German soldier and briefly held in a prisoner of war camp, but was released in June, more than a month after Nazi Germany had surrendered.

Two key US Jewish lobby groups cautiously welcomed the election of Ratzinger as pope and noted that there was no evidence he had committed any crimes while serving in the Hitler Youth.

"As a child, he grew up in an anti-Nazi family. Nonetheless he was forced to join the Hitler Youth movement during the Second World War," the Los Angeles-based Simon Wiesenthal Center's founder and head Rabbi Marvin Hier told AFP.

"There's been no evidence to show that he committed any crimes or has been implicated in crimes, but clearly joining the Hitler Youth is not something you want to boast about on your CV."

Another Jewish activist group in the United States, the Anti-Defamation League, said the new pope had "atoned" for the Nazi links of his youth.

"The fact that he comes from Europe is important because he brings with him an understanding and memory of the painful history of Europe and of the 20th Century experience of European Jewry," the group said, alluding to World War II.

Israel voiced hope that the new head of the Roman Catholic Church would follow the path of his Polish-born predecessor John Paul II in campaigning against anti-Semitism and working for closer ties between Jews and Catholics.

"Given his historical experience, we hope the new pope will be faithful to the commitment of the Catholic Church to fight anti-Semitism," Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said in a statement.

well-said by Savage! True, there are the fundamentalist pre-Vatican II types out there, but I'm hoping they are eclipsed by more forward thinkers. With Ratzinger in, it will be interesting (and not in a good way) to see if they become more visible and outspoken.

FullonEdge, I understand your point--I guess that I see religion as a cultural system rather than as strictly a belief system. I view it rather holistically: religion pertains to beliefs about the supernatural, it offers a prescriptive moral code...and all that. But it also has to do with a group's identity, and that is rooted in culture, history, ethnicity, and all the rest. I don't think religion as being an inherent part of one's ethnicity (as it is for me, as an Italian-American) necessarily dilutes it. And again, I just don't there are any doctrines where people follow 100%. Those become terrifying when they do exist, and we get cults.

xhendrix, :lmao:

Irvine511 said:

well, it depends. Dan Savage, sex columnist extraordinairre, brings up this very savvy point:

"What's maddening about this pope's signature gay bashing is this: When the pope — the dead one, the next one, the one after that — says something stupid about homosexuality, straight folks take it to heart. The church's efforts have helped defeat gay rights bills, led to the omission of gays and lesbians from hate-crime statutes, and helped to pass anti-gay-marriage amendments. But when a pope says something stupid about heterosexuality, straight Americans go deaf. And this pope had plenty to say about heterosexual sex — no contraceptives, no premarital sex, no blowjobs, no jerkin' off, no divorce, no remarriage, no artificial insemination, no blowjobs, no three-ways, no swinging, no blowjobs, no anal. Did I mention no blowjobs? John Paul II had more "no's" for straight people than he did for gays. But when he tried to meddle in the private lives of straights, the same people who deferred to his delicate sensibilities where my rights were concerned suddenly blew the old asshole off. Gay blowjobs are expendable, it seems; straight ones are sacred."

Hey Melon: Can you clue me in on this "Catholic apparitionists/evil Pope" thing? (And did Nostradamus predict this? LOL...NOT.)

I think this calls for a new Dan Brown novel. Something smells quite fishy here..but after 5 yrs of Dubya crap, and cover-ups, I'm used to it by now.

The only good thing is, this papacy will be short. If the much more vigorous and athletic JP2 was dead by 84, then this guy might begin to fade quickly.

On the bright side, this might be a good thing: if he turns out to be the "evil Pope", then the cardinals will better appreciate just what they lost in JP 2 (I don't think they appreicate it well enough now), and next time will be much more open to swinging back more forcefully in the JP direction. If a moderate had gooten in now, then people would accuse him of being "wishy-washy." And elect a conserbatuve down the road. Maybe we need a train wreck right now. I don't know, I certainly don't approve, but I'm a cockeyed optimist. I just finished reading "Man of the Century", and learned just what a bastard RATzinger (aptly named) is.

Fasten your seat belts folks, and ladies, if you even have THOUGHTS aobut the morning after pill, you'd better buy a years' supply from the pharmacy, because the paharmacies of America might not even carry BIRTH CONTROL now...

Catholicism is the best religion for me to follow. I don't agree with everything, but plenty of practicing Catholics don't. Many use birth control, but get solace, peace, and clarity of conscience with mass attendance, the reception of sacraments, etc, etc. In some ways it's easier to be Eastern Orthodox and a liberal than it is Roman Catholic and a liberal, but a few key Eastern Orthodox doctrines get stuck in my throat (particularly apostolic succession). There's no way I could ever go back to being a Protestant. That doesn't suit me at all. It's definitely something I don't believe.

Teta040 said:
Hey Melon: Can you clue me in on this "Catholic apparitionists/evil Pope" thing? (And did Nostradamus predict this? LOL...NOT.)

I think this calls for a new Dan Brown novel. Something smells quite fishy here..but after 5 yrs of Dubya crap, and cover-ups, I'm used to it by now.

The only good thing is, this papacy will be short. If the much more vigorous and athletic JP2 was dead by 84, then this guy might begin to fade quickly.

On the bright side, this might be a good thing: if he turns out to be the "evil Pope", then the cardinals will better appreciate just what they lost in JP 2 (I don't think they appreicate it well enough now), and next time will be much more open to swinging back more forcefully in the JP direction. If a moderate had gooten in now, then people would accuse him of being "wishy-washy." And elect a conserbatuve down the road. Maybe we need a train wreck right now. I don't know, I certainly don't approve, but I'm a cockeyed optimist. I just finished reading "Man of the Century", and learned just what a bastard RATzinger (aptly named) is.

Fasten your seat belts folks, and ladies, if you even have THOUGHTS aobut the morning after pill, you'd better buy a years' supply from the pharmacy, because the paharmacies of America might not even carry BIRTH CONTROL now...

Pope John Paul II was a very conservative pope. Ratzinger was his right-hand man, very close to him in ideas. The differences are the personal differences between the two men, because their ideas were identical. I think it's hyperbolic to assume that they're going to ban birth control because a conservative got elected pope. I don't think the pope is going to impact U.S. pharmacy policies. A recent poll showed that 88% of American Catholics support birth control. I don't know who did that poll, or how good it is, but there's obviously alot of support for birth control in the U.S. Catholic community.

New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign

Tue Apr 19, 6:20 PM ET

German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican theologian who was elected Pope Benedict XVI, intervened in the 2004 US election campaign ordering bishops to deny communion to abortion rights supporters including presidential candidate John Kerry.

In a June 2004 letter to US bishops enunciating principles of worthiness for communion recipients, Ratzinger specified that strong and open supporters of abortion should be denied the Catholic sacrament, for being guilty of a "grave sin."

He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.

The letter said a priest confronted with such a person seeking communion "must refuse to distribute it."

A footnote to the letter also condemned any Catholic who votes specifically for a candidate because the candidate holds a pro-abortion position. Such a voter "would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for holy communion," the letter read.

The letter, which was revealed in the Italian magazine L'Espresso last year, was reportedly only sent to US Catholic bishops, who discussed it in their convocation in Denver, Colorado, in mid-June.

Sharply divided on the issue, the bishops decided to leave the decision on granting or denying communion to the individual priest. Kerry later received communion several times from sympathetic priests.

Nevertheless, in the November election, a majority of Catholic voters, who traditionally supported Democratic Party candidates, shifted their votes to Republican and eventual winner George W. Bush.

this guy sounds dangerous

i guess he longs for the good oid days when the church was supreme

perhaps he will serve as long as John Paul I

See, this is the thing about organized religion that makes me uncomfortable. The fact that a mortal human being has the power to cast you out of God's Light. Interesting that someone who supoorted abortion was denied communion, while the Chruch did not take the time or the trouble to intervene in their conbgregatios' lives more fully and take steps to root out pedophiles, and people who had actually committed crimes of whatever sort in the past. Can anyone tell me if murderers on Death Row are denied Communion in prison services? If we have a consistent "seamless garment of life" moral ethic, shouldn't we be serious about equating actual murderers to those who suport abortion rights, but commit no murder?

And to those who lie to the nation and lead America into a war we had no cause to start? We could just as well have implicated "certain politicans" of murder, and deny them Communion, if they were Catholic, as well..IF we have the "seamless garment of life" ethic and equate unjust war with murder, just as abortion is. If the central isue here is that abortion is murder. Right? No moral relativism here, folks! And genocide is murder, right? So if we haven't invaded Sudan in the same manner, seeking to throw out the ruler of that country, where ana ctual genocide is going on, than our political leaders are guilaty of murder. According to the "no moral relativism" rule, and denying Communion to those who support murder. Murder is murder, isn't it? Isn't it??

There is no way these days you can just stand apart from the fray, if you are not Catholic. Here's an example. Take the "conscience clause" debate swirling around the nation. This is where pharmacists are refusing to fill prescriptions for morning-after and even birth-control pills because it is against thier morals. (Funny how the Pill has been around for 40 yrs but only NOW, in 2005, are we haivng this debate. Has a lot to do with who is in power and how much control they have and who the media openly and cravenly serve, when they know here their bread is buttered.)

Now say you are an elderly woman who lives in a rural area and has medication you depends on this pharmacy for. You could care less about what you hear on the news. Say your pharmacy is the only one around for 20 miles or so. Say that either because of the state's passing the "concsience clause" (as a handful have already done and 23 or so more are hinting they might do), or the pharmacy's bowing to "popular pressure"(ie evangelical lobbying legislators, or conservative legislators buddying up with drug companies with offers of sweetheart deals for selling other, more poluar products--such as unlimited local funding for selling the newest Pfitzer drug, --and because of their bad rep, they need it now--, in exchange for not stocking any contraceptive stuff ) and not stocking birth control or the MA pill. Say, young women of childbearing age who are against the morning-after pill, maybe, but NOT birth control...or not even caring and taking birth control, as most Catholic women do these days, and which represent A LOT of that pharmacy's customers, realize their pharmacy isn't carrying a life necessity, and decide they HAVE to spend the gas money and go to another pharmacy 50 or more miles away that does. There goes a MAJOR percentage of the pharmacy's business, as of course these women will now do one-stop shopping at this new pahrmacy for all their general needs. Because of the loss of business, your pharmacy closes.

Now you are up a creek, and if your children can't drive you the longer distance to the pharmacy that is still open, or if you get ill, then you could possibly go to the hospital and die. Of course this is a theoretical scenario but it's real one as most people don't relaize the potential impact on business sich bills would have. The phrase "silent majority" that used to be bandied aobut in the 70's has never been so true as now. Boy, we are SILENT. We only complain about our selfish interests.

Chalk this up on the "opiate of the people" rant I started in another thread.

On the "antiChrist" prophecy..interesting. I don't imagine who this guy would be bosom buddies with that would fit the bill, if "antichrist" were used in its popular sense, aka a Satanic figure. Right now, there's only one truly "AntiChrist" around, and that's Bin Laden (whom we seem to have forgotten.) And since this guy seems to think any religion other than Catholicism is blashphemy, it's hard to see him being chummy with, say, Sharon or Putin. That would leave a guy whom it is very easy to imagine him being close friends with: George W. Bush. It's easy to see them becoming as personally close as a Pope could with a head of state. As the previous poster noted in the article about Kerry, it may have already happened. It's hard to imagine anybody of this stature being closer to him.

This complately plausible scenario of personal friendship might leave some conservatives on here troubled, as in no way could Dubya be an AntiChrist, in the Satanic sense of the word. I agree on that. Hitler, IMHO, WAS Nostradamus's "antiChrist" (unless he also meant Bin Laden, and was off his prophecy for 50 yrs or so...the AntiChrist seemed to be a Moslem, in his book. And that :censored: just MIGHT yet trigger WW3...)

However, if you take the term literally, and not in its traditionally prophetic sense, Dubya's actions (SO much more important than words), are very "anti Christ" (not in accordance with Christ's teachings.) Poverty, war, disease, and the afflicted are SO much more important in my book than trivial issues like who gets communion and who doesn't.

Last edited:
JessicaAnn said:

The only way I have remained a Catholic is to separate the politics of the Church from my faith in God.

Ditto. What the Vatican or Pope, whoever he happens to be, says has very little bearing on my faith. I'm really disappointed but not at all surprised to hear the Vatican go for an ultra conservative candidate. I'm sure my parents are thrilled though. :rolleyes:

PS. Now this sounds TOO fishy. THe US is not supposed to have the power to elect Popes, but what we DO have is MUCHO funding we could give the Vatican Bank in a time of great crisis and diminishing funds. Maybe the US did have a role in choosing this new Pope so quickly. If you help us in our time of trouble (that pesky thing called the Iraqi occupation dragging down the polls) by making a major issue of denying communion to those who support abortion, if only by inference or NOT outright denying it, thus distracting the public from the REAL issues that matter and that we have been deficient on, then we will help you become the next Pope--if that's what you want--by making a major donation to the Vatican Bank, and, who knows, even have our influence known by the oh so helpful and visible representative of the United States of America, (drumroll please), the HONORABLE pedophile himself, Cardinal Law, play a role in swinging the vote by making this known during those 9 days in between as well. We'll help you cover up your more "hard edges", too, with a continuing shower of very public and prominent Ronald-Reagan style media adoration, (as is already happening on NBC, it is like Reagan's inuaguration again), and maybe again Americans will start making up for that $700 billion in losses as a result of said scandal. So that you can basically get away with this S$&#. Hey,if it works for me, why shouldn't it work for you? While in the slums of Bogota and the hospitals of Paris, people die because their priest gives them no info on condoms.

Of course, that's the conspiracy theorist in me talking. But as I said, nothing surprises me now. Dan Brown, where are you??? I hope you are in Rome now, doing "research" for your next novel!!

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

I don't remember exactly where the "prophesies" originated from. There's been a slew of people who have claimed to see Mary or even Jesus, and then say that they have told them things. Like I said, not exactly credible sources, so take it as I take it: interesting and possible, but likely improbable. I read most of these in the mid-1990s and remembered them.

There's actually a prophesy that's supposed to occur between his election and his "coronation" on Sunday. I won't say what it is until after Sunday (or if it happens before).

Melon

This bothered me...from a speech regarding him today

In 1986, he denounced rock music as the "vehicle of anti-religion."

I heard him denounce it again in a speech on Headline News today, though he plays classical music himself.

melon said:

I don't remember exactly where the "prophesies" originated from. There's been a slew of people who have claimed to see Mary or even Jesus, and then say that they have told them things. Like I said, not exactly credible sources, so take it as I take it: interesting and possible, but likely improbable. I read most of these in the mid-1990s and remembered them.

There's actually a prophesy that's supposed to occur between his election and his "coronation" on Sunday. I won't say what it is until after Sunday (or if it happens before).

Melon

I'm interested in this. Will it be another thread or should I be checking back on this one?

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'm interested in this. Will it be another thread or should I be checking back on this one?

Check back after Sunday, unless it happens prior to Sunday, and I'll make mention of it then. I have my reasons for not bringing it up beforehand, mainly because I don't want to look like an idiot if it doesn't happen and I don't want to even plant any ideas into anyone's head. This is the internet, after all. And it may perfectly not happen at all.

Melon

Last edited:
Re the election of Ratty Ratfinger: will the last person to leave planet Earth please turn out the lights. Thankyou. :(

Back
Top Bottom