February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yolland said:
McCain: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey
Romney: Massachusetts

Now McCain has Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, and Delaware.

In addition, although Romney has Massachusetts, McCain does have 41% with 5% of the results in. If that total holds up, McCain will get a nice some of Delegates from Romney's home state.

McCain is very strong in 6 winner take all states, 3 of which he has already been declared the winner in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Delaware. He will also take the winner take all states of New York and Arizona. He should take Missouri, but there may be a fight for it.

Romney was supposed to take the winner take all state of Montana, but with 13% in, McCain has a 2 point lead.

Just back from voting myself (first time ever :D ) It was an amazing turnout on campus; we had lines going from the first floor all the way up to the third, where the voting took place. Exciting times indeed.

On SBS's coverage here in Australia, Anton Enus just remarked that "a central theme today will be trying to understand the intricacies of the US electoral process". :lol:

I wonder how many Australians are watching this and think it's actually the presidential election itself ...

Axver said:
On SBS's coverage here in Australia, Anton Enus just remarked that "a central theme today will be trying to understand the intricacies of the US electoral process". :lol:

I wonder how many Australians are watching this and think it's actually the presidential election itself ...

:lol: That's great. It's alright though, a majority of people in our own country couldn't tell you how the electoral process works.

Massachusetts - Summary Vote Results Select Office--------------PresidentState_House------------All Races
February 05, 2008 - 09:00PM ET (i) = incumbent = winner = runoff
President - Dem Primary
262 of 2167 Precincts Reporting - 12%
Name Party Votes Vote %

Clinton, Hillary Dem 85,919 57%
Obama, Barack Dem 58,819 39%
Edwards, John Dem 2,293 2%
No Preference Dem 1,277 1%
Biden, Joe Dem 866 1%
Kucinich, Dennis Dem 313 0%
Richardson, Bill Dem 213 0%
Gravel, Mike Dem 129 0%
Dodd, Chris Dem 88 0%

For people keeping the running tallies as the states are called, could you identify which wins are important, toss-up wins, and/or surprises in those tallies?

CNN.com is too big for my Netscape browser and 1999 Dell.

According to my news radio program, it looks like Clinton has NJ, but they are not calling it at all, though they call McCain :shrug:

New Jersey - Summary Vote Results Select Party--------------DemGOP------------All Races
February 05, 2008 - 09:04PM ET (i) = incumbent = winner = runoff
President - Dem Primary
598 of 6292 Precincts Reporting - 10%
Name Party Votes Vote %
Clinton, Hillary Dem 69,441 66%
Obama, Barack Dem 32,979 31%
Edwards, John Dem 2,270 2%
Biden, Joe Dem 556 1%
Richardson, Bill Dem 392 0%
Kucinich, Dennis Dem 365 0%

I'm surprised about Massachusetts right now. I thought with the endorsements of Kennedy and Kerry that it would push Obama to a win, but so far Clinton is winning there.

Boston hasn't had anything come in yet, though, so I think that's why they are holding off there.

Last edited:
yolland said:
Originally posted by randhail
Just out of curiousity, which states on the Democratic sides are considered to be the toss-ups or could provide some potential surprises?

California, Missouri, Arizona, Delaware, Connecticut and New Mexico.

SBS has just crossed to CNN and it appears they've just predicted Obama to carry Delaware.

phanan said:
I'm surprised about Massachusetts right now. I though with the endorsements of Kennedy and Kerry that it would push Obama to a win, but so far Clinton is winning there.

Boston hasn't had anything come in yet, though, so I think that's why they are holding off there.

I know. I'm shocked that Obama hasn't done better in Massachusetts. They've got such a wonderful history of being kind to African Americans ...

phillyfan26 said:
For people keeping the running tallies as the states are called, could you identify which wins are important, toss-up wins, and/or surprises in those tallies?

CNN.com is too big for my Netscape browser and 1999 Dell.

California is obviously the biggest prize out there, and while Clinton had a solid lead before, recent polls suggested that Obama was closing in.

Missouri is also a very interesting state, as it is close to Arkansas where Clinton spent many years.

Arizona and New Mexico will be worth watching, too.

Huck is helping foil Mitt, thereby helping McCain (who could wrap it up tonight), and the dems are going to be going long into the evening.

resultsxd8.png

Massachusetts is surprising and strange given the results next door in CT.

phanan said:
I'm surprised about Massachusetts right now. I thought with the endorsements of Kennedy and Kerry that it would push Obama to a win, but so far Clinton is winning there.

The Boston Globe has a town by town breakdown and in most places, Clinton in thumping Obama. I'm really surprised that the margin is so wide.

Massachusetts - Summary Vote Results Select Office--------------PresidentState_House------------All Races
February 05, 2008 - 09:17PM ET (i) = incumbent = winner = runoff
President - Dem Primary
516 of 2167 Precincts Reporting - 24%
Name Party Votes Vote %
Clinton, Hillary Dem 164,596 58%
Obama, Barack Dem 110,169 39%
Edwards, John Dem 4,360 2%
No Preference Dem 2,069 1%
Biden, Joe Dem 1,158 0%
Kucinich, Dennis Dem 594 0%
Richardson, Bill Dem 394 0%
Gravel, Mike Dem 226 0%
Dodd, Chris Dem 181 0%

phillyfan26 said:

Huckabee would be too alienating, wouldn't he?
If anyone would pull the Republican "base*" back in, the base that McCain is apparently not conservative enough for, I think it would be Huck Huck.

*Rural religious folks who don't know better.

Sure, some people might think it "evens it out" but then wouldn't you have people who lean towards McCain saying Huckabee's too nuts to be in public office?

well if McCain gets the nomination, perhaps he picks someone more conservative to make the part of the party he is alienating happy :shrug:

I think he will, but Huckabee's impossible to vote for to the majority of Americans.

When people ask themselves, "Do I want him to be next in line if something happens to McCain?" I think McCain would be toast.

phillyfan26 said:
Sure, some people might think it "evens it out" but then wouldn't you have people who lean towards McCain saying Huckabee's too nuts to be in public office?

Exactly. Huckabee would cause McCain to lose all the independents that would otherwise give him a good chance at victory.

For those who have voted...

Did the polling places require you to show ID? I don't think they ever have done so here... Just curious...

Back
Top Bottom