Ahmadinejad Wants To Visit Ground Zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dazzlingamy said:
Uhm what do you think we should do? He's not our president, he doesn't control anything to do with us, so what should we do?
]

Simply hold him to the same standard as we hold Bush or any other world leader, or is that too much to ask here ?

Irvine511 said:

or we could say that we hold American leadership to higher standards? does this surprise you?

I guess if we did that it would deflect from bashing Bush, so no.

Irvine511 said:

i really don't know what your'e getting at. you're basically making the statement that the president of the United States is more rational than the president of Iran. are you surprised by this?

It's dubya we're talking about, so a little, yes !

Muldfeld said:

It happened and it was terrible, but it's also been used to allow Jewish people to victimize others because they supposedly have a monopoly on suffering. How about how the US media has tacitly ignored the suffereing they've helped to inflict on the Palestinian peoples. Like it or not, the US is directly responsible for proping up Israeli governments with billions of dollars of aid to allow them to occupy Palestinians. This is grossly immoral, but no one talks about it; that's as good as denying the Palestinians' suffering to this day.

this is exaclty what i was talking about.

maycocksean said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to say all that. But it's what I heard.

You need your hearing SERIOUSLY checked.

I got the name from my boss, he's Iranian.

Personally I hold our President to a higher standard than the leader of any other nation...why would you not hold your own country's leader to the highest standard? Sadly, Bush has fallen far short of that standard. If we're forced to compare our President to the leader in Iran or wherever in order to make him look good, that's pretty depressing.

Muldfeld said:
melon said:

Also, if I were poor and desperate, I'd be chanting death to whomever, too. How many Americans have been chanting death to the Middle East for decades! They just use coded language and speak at family gatherings.

this is bullshit. total bullshit. most Americans are too busy going to work and taking care of their families than chanting "death to Iran" around the dinner table.

i admire many of your points and i think you offer a valuable perspective, but i don't think you're going to succeed much in equivocating between Joe American and the dispossessed of the Arab Street. i know where much of the anger comes from, but you're probably much better off looking at your own mullahs and mosques instead of trying to distil everything through the prism of "America is Bad" -- you're not going to get anywhere if you keep up the myopia and try to locate the US as the sole source of all evil in the world.

CTU2fan said:
Personally I hold our President to a higher standard than the leader of any other nation...why would you not hold your own country's leader to the highest standard? Sadly, Bush has fallen far short of that standard. If we're forced to compare our President to the leader in Iran or wherever in order to make him look good, that's pretty depressing.

:yes:

CTU2fan said:

Almost as depressing as "oh well, of course he's going to say something stupid, he's Iran's leader after all, you know how those Iranians are, our nation is better than everyone else so our leaders have to be better"

Double standards abounding.......

toscano said:

Almost as depressing as "oh well, of course he's going to say something stupid, he's Iran's leader after all, you know how those Iranians are, our nation is better than everyone else so our leaders have to be better"

i'm so confused. what are you looking for here?

if Bush denied the Holocaust, he'd be formally censured by the Congress, if not outright impeached. but that's because he's an American and the elected President. we have no ability to do such things to the President of Iran -- he's been roundly and resoundingly bashed in the media from left to right. what else should we do? public flogging?

what do you want?

toscano said:

Well it's not because it's my country or my nation is the best, but it's because we've been looked to and have claimed to set a higher standard.

So some hostages were taken. Regrettable, but Iran didn't kill anyone the way Americans are responsible for brutal repression and the deaths of surely thousands in Iranian history.
The old revolution took out quite a few as well; creating a pure islamic society (with no homosexuality LOL) requires purging troublesome intellectuals and dissident groups; one should hope that the fact that this clerical autocracy attacked leftists should prevent them from making common cause - but a minority seems more than happy to cooperate with violent bigoted religious morons when they say the right stuff about a common enemy.

It's as if Anglo-American imperialism imbues any regime with impunity to abuse the populations human rights, to attack free speech around the world and get by with some rather dirty tactics without too much trouble (Basij mine sweepers for instance).

toscano said:

You need your hearing SERIOUSLY checked.

I got the name from my boss, he's Iranian.

No. My hearing is fine.

Though, apparently I'm a little slow on the uptake. I just got it. . .Ahmadimibulb. Dim Bulb.

Toscano, I owe you an apology for judging you so harshly based on a play on words I failed to recognize. That was hasty and unfair of me. I hope there are no hard feelings.

I hearby repent and sit down to my dinner of humble pie.

:reject:

MrsSpringsteen said:
This is what happens to gay people in Iran

http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2005/09/theyll_kill_me_.html

And women have it better there than in many other countries in the world, according to Ahmadinejad.

Comparatively speaking, I believe women in Iran are better off there than in most other countries of the Islamic world. Iranian universities, for instance, are over half female, whereas some Muslim nations won't let them go to school at all. So, no, it would not be fair to paint all the Muslim nations of the world with the same brush, even if some of their governments are better or worse than others.

However, Iran's attitude towards gays, while officially hostile in every Muslim country, is certainly one of the top offenders, along with Saudi Arabia. The fact that he has the audacity to deny that they even exist in Iran is a combination of that religion-derived hostility with communist-era ideology, as most communist nations considered homosexuality to be a bourgeois cultural construct related to the excesses of capitalism. Undoubtedly, the subtext of saying that homosexuals don't exist in Iran corresponds to him believing that it is merely a perversion of the West. That just makes him--and all others who think like him--seem even more ridiculous than they already are.

I don't know his exact quote, so I don't know if he meant women only in the Islamic world. I don't know how their treatment compares exactly to the rest of the Islamic world, but I would guess he paints a rather false picture.

Last thing I saw of Iran was a video showing young students who were hung on the street.

Well, the death sentence in the U.S. isn´t much better.

Two criminals called Prez meet. Who cares. Ahmadinejad isn´t any better than Bush.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Last thing I saw of Iran was a video showing young students who were hung on the street.

Well, the death sentence in the U.S. isn´t much better.

Two criminals called Prez meet. Who cares. Ahmadinejad isn´t any better than Bush.

garbage.

the US doesn't execute gay people. while i am opposed to the US, there's at least a long and lengthy process of law that, however imperfectly applied, is worlds away from dictate-by-mullah you have in Iran.

our president is a bloody fool and a moron, but equivocation between him and the Iranian government -- i have to assume that's what you meant, since Ahmadinejad has no actual power -- is just silly, and it's statements like this that does more harm to leftists politics than good. it's statements like this that enable moderates and conservatives to dismiss everyone on the left as silly postmodern relativists.

Irvine511 said:
and it's statements like this that does more harm to leftists politics than good. it's statements like this that enable moderates and conservatives to dismiss everyone on the left as silly postmodern relativists.

and so what :yawn: i don´t give a fuck for leftists or their statements that enable morons to dismiss whatever they think they are obliged to dismiss

your president is a killer, and to continue a war you can´t win (=to let young soldiers die) is just as cruel as supporting extremist terrorists

the guy from Iran is a killer too

that´s all that counts in my book

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

and so what :yawn: i don´t give a fuck for leftists or their statements that enable morons to dismiss whatever they think they are obliged to dismiss

your president is a killer, and to continue a war you can´t win (=to let young soldiers die) is just as cruel as supporting extremist terrorists

the guy from Iran is a killer too

that´s all that counts in my book

and with that, you're every bit as simplistic as Bush.

melon said:

However, Iran's attitude towards gays, while officially hostile in every Muslim country, is certainly one of the top offenders, along with Saudi Arabia. The fact that he has the audacity to deny that they even exist in Iran is a combination of that religion-derived hostility with communist-era ideology, as most communist nations considered homosexuality to be a bourgeois cultural construct related to the excesses of capitalism. Undoubtedly, the subtext of saying that homosexuals don't exist in Iran corresponds to him believing that it is merely a perversion of the West. That just makes him--and all others who think like him--seem even more ridiculous than they already are.

I've pondered the matter quite extensively within the outter reaches of my intellect.

I propose that we send Senator Wide Stance as an Ambassador to investigate the matter more fully.:wink:

Maybe he'll become more honest with himself more quickly.

bio-craig2.jpg

thank u,

dbs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom