IO:Summer is OVER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's my location. You agreed as though you understood where it had come from. Or are you mocking them too, in guessing it's meaning by fluke?

Angela Harlem said:
Dont worry khan, aus has some stupid people too :wink:
why do you think i don't live there? the stupid ratio would go up, like, ten-fold. :huh:

as for when seasons start, i always go by the equinox/solstice dates :shrug: this year the autumnal equinox is 22 september, so to me it'll be summer until that date. and given how the weather is here, it'll feel like summer probably long after autumn starts. :drool:

Palace_Hero said:
I don't know what you just said, but I'm not mocking you.
the autumnal equinox is the first day of autumn, or fall. it's the day the sun crosses the equator and heads south. it's also the same day you guys in the southern hemisphere have the vernal equinox, aka the first day of spring.

taken from wikipedia: At the equinox, the sun rises directly in the east and sets directly in the west. In the northern hemisphere, before the autumnal equinox, the sun rises and sets more and more to the north, and afterwards, it rises and sets more and more to the south.

i'm a science geek. :reject:

KhanadaRhodes said:

why do you think i don't live there? the stupid ratio would go up, like, ten-fold. :huh:

as for when seasons start, i always go by the equinox/solstice dates :shrug: this year the autumnal equinox is 22 september, so to me it'll be summer until that date. and given how the weather is here, it'll feel like summer probably long after autumn starts. :drool:

Oh, pffft. Honestly, woman! I live here! And Palace Hero! We dont dumb down this country much!
:shifty:
seriously, you are not stupid.

I think we're all talking at cross purposes now, though :up: My sig which tom/cassis quoted is from when a few of us were mocking plebans and how some of them will drool over even the ugliest bono pic. it was funny. and then palace agreed, which confused me, but is no matter. then we discovered that it is actually everywhere it seems but here, which starts and ends seasons according to the equinox which is rather foreign to us as we um...dumb it down to month dates to keep it simple.
:cletus:

:D

Angela Harlem said:
Oh, pffft. Honestly, woman! I live here! And Palace Hero! We dont dumb down this country much!

I think we're all talking at cross purposes now, though :up: My sig which tom/cassis quoted is from when a few of us were mocking plebans and how some of them will drool over even the ugliest bono pic. it was funny. and then palace agreed, which confused me, but is no matter. then we discovered that it is actually everywhere it seems but here, which starts and ends seasons according to the equinox which is rather foreign to us as we um...dumb it down to month dates to keep it simple.

:giggle: so mayhaps there's still hope of me being able to move to australia yet? :hyper: :hmm: and thanks for saying i'm not dumb, neither are you :hug:

what, you mean every pic of bono isn't pure sexXx0rz? BLASPHEMY!!!! :wink: hmm, that's interesting, i didn't know you guys did the seasons differently down there. so when would spring start for you guys? in september or october? i would assume october since the equinox is in late september but you never know...

We are the opposite for everything in some ways to the rest of the world.
Summer= December 1 - Feb 28/29
Autumn= March 1 - May 31
Winter= June 1 - August 31
Spring= September 1 - November 30

Then, our financial years run from July 1 to June 31.
School and other years begin their 'year' in Feb/March and school year ends in December.
I'm sure there are other weird differences :D

Angela Harlem said:
School and other years begin their 'year' in Feb/March and school year ends in December.
i always wondered if that would be reversed as well :hmm: cuz who would want a long ass winter break?? that would be no fun! :down:

i think as enticing as australia sounds, i don't know if i could get used to the seasons being reversed like that. i don't know if i could stand summer weather at christmastime. it's one thing when you live in florida and there's a freak heatwave, but for it to be perfectly normal? and my birthday to be in the dead of winter? i couldn't take a holiday to the beach for my birthday. :sad:

i'll be like an old person and i'll live there for the summer and then move back up to the northern hemisphere for their summer. :up: heat year-round :drool: :up:

Angela Harlem said:

I remember watching Letterman once on about 21st of some month and he was saying it's the beginning of (insert season here) and I was thinking "Ya fuckwit, it started three weeks ago!" :eyebrow: Well you learn stuff everyday! :shifty:

I'm looking forward to this summer, I've had enough of this winter. Unfortunately I'll only have fuck all on between Xmas and NYear :grumpy:

Oh Khanada, like Ang said! Come to Australia, you know you want to. :sexywink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i always wondered if that would be reversed as well :hmm: cuz who would want a long ass winter break?? that would be no fun! :down:

i think as enticing as australia sounds, i don't know if i could get used to the seasons being reversed like that. i don't know if i could stand summer weather at christmastime. it's one thing when you live in florida and there's a freak heatwave, but for it to be perfectly normal? and my birthday to be in the dead of winter? i couldn't take a holiday to the beach for my birthday. :sad:

i'll be like an old person and i'll live there for the summer and then move back up to the northern hemisphere for their summer. :up: heat year-round :drool: :up:

Ok, Khan. It's time to do a Diamond Hard Sell. :wink:

By having summer smack bang where it is, we get:
All December, Jan and most of Feburary off. By the time Christmas rolls around, it's as hot as buggery and we're all rushed trying to get the year finished up but knowing that we are sooo close to a real holiday. Having Christmas day and New years where they are, it is virtually a week long public holiday in that time. The whole country virtually shuts down. We are sweltering in 45 degs c heat, but we are on a summer hibernation. Who cares? No one! We're reveling in the heat, the beer, the bbqs, the Boxing Day test (we have 3 legitimate days off, being xmas day, boxing, and new years (the ones in between are given with one eye looking the other direction by pretty much all employers)), the sheer concept of having everyone on a holiday for at least a week* at the same time is rejuventating.
So, we recover from Christmas and realise we're broke as bat shit and are as fucked as everyone else in the world at this time. What do we do? We stagger back to work and spend the rest of January wishing we lived somewhere mildly cooler and less inebriated. Just when we think we cannot handle it anymore, Captain Cook arrives to save the day. Yep. It's Australia Day, on Jan 27. And not a moment too soon! We have a delayed hair of the dog and count down how many ridiculously sweltering more days we have to 'endure' and know that once it cools down, summer and 3 months of being utterly lazy and the whole country not really doing much except hauling arse to the nearest TAB and refilling the fridge and eating 30 kilos of leftover salad and ham legs, we ease into autumn and by about May/June, it cools down. Now we can suffer about 3 months of 'cold' or we can take off for a holiday up north. Cold, keep in mind, was a nice 30 here today. :wink: We dont really suffer.

*some companies do a 2 week shut down or work on skeleton crew systems and many people enjoy also the first week of Jan off fully paid. We dont have your Christmas bonusus, but who the hell cares?! There's hot holiday weather right outside!

So...when are you coming?
:hyper:

what's the coldest it gets there usually? 30? that's not too bad but still...that's definitely coats weather and i couldn't bare the thought of dressing like that for my birthday so i'd have to take a holiday up north in august. :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

never mind, i know what i did wrong. :huh:
yes, 30 degrees = 86 fahrenheit.

so is that really the coldest it gets in the winter? :hmm:

Well, here it can drop as low as 10. Or it has, but I live in a very strange place. It's flat and at the base of a mountain range and has it's own mini eco temperature thing happening, like a lot of places in Australia. When someone says the temperature in Sydney will be say 30, always add about 10 more for here even though we're only about 30 k's out. I think my region is one of the hottest populated regions. That's not to say it's one of the hottest places, but for urban density, it is. If you want sticky fuck off hot, you're best going out to the desert where it easily cracks 50 + every day in summer and drops to a balmy 35 or so in winter. But it's bloody freezing in winter and during the night and there is no humidity at all unless it's about to storm which it hasn't done since...the 80's or something because of our drought :wink:

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!

Please bury New England with snow this winter, my Atomics need to experience powder carving. :drool:

oh no, i couldn't live out in the desert. :no: it's not because it's the desert, but because it's so uninhabited. i'm an urban dweller. i'm a downtown kinda gal, i'd be living in a big city, not even in the suburbs. :yuck: not to mention the poisonous bugs, snakes, and scorpions. :yikes:

here it generally gets to about -5 in the winter and 40 in the summer. the summer weather is fine for me, although i can certainly tolerate hotter weather if i've got an ocean nearby. but -5 in the winter is too cold for me, especially since it's usually all for naught. (below freezing and there's no snow? how boring!)

Back
Top Bottom