Zooropa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWho4Life

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I finally got it :D! OMG! It's my new fave album (for now anyway) I can't stop listening to it! It's the best U2 I've heard! I tried forever to get it (actually only like 2 months or soemthin) and now I have it!! OMFG! I'm like freakin out! I love it!!!!!!! Best EVER!!! Numb is playing right now, EDGE! YAY! My fave song on it besides Numb is "The First TIme" But I also love "Lemon" it's a lot better to just listen to it, rather then watchin Bono's huge mouth teh whole time lol (not tryin to be mean to Bono but it was HUGE in that video).
GOD! IT'S GREAT!
:wave:

Awesome!! Great Album. Probably my 3rd favorite behind Pop and Achtung Baby. I got it last Christmas, and I swear in the next 3 or 4 days, I listened to Babyface about 100 times. No joke. One of my absolute favorite songs.

Babyface is great too! I haven't listened to it a 100 times(yet)... but it's great!
But I've listened to the album like 10 times all the way through :D I've only had it since yesterday :uhoh: Is this a bit too obsessive?

macphistofreak said:
So I'm guessing you got the package??
Hope you like the other cd's too!
LYL! :heart: :heart:
:hug: YEP! The mail people put it in my garage and I couldn;t find it :lmao: They left the little note in the mailbox saying they put it in the garage and it took me ten minutes to find it :lol: Mostly cause I can never see anything right in front of me :uhoh:
But when I found it was so happy :) I LOVE LOVE all the otheres too :) But Zooropa's the bestest EVER!
THANK YOU!!!!!

originally posted by babyman
what?!?!?!? you got zooropa in almost 2005?!?!?!......... why so late, are you too young?
Yep, I only started liking them last year :wink:

I LOVE Zooropa! The first time I heard the title track, I just sat there and thought...'this is the best song I've ever heard...' It's that damn good! Also: Lemon, Dirty Day and Stay are fantastic!

Zooropa is wonderful!

Just think, songs called Wake Up Dead Man and Last Night On Earth almost made their debut on this cd instead of Pop. I was re-reading BP Fallon's Faraway So Close last night and forgot about this little known fact.

Roland of Gilead said:
Zooropa is wonderful!

Just think, songs called Wake Up Dead Man and Last Night On Earth almost made their debut on this cd instead of Pop. I was re-reading BP Fallon's Faraway So Close last night and forgot about this little known fact.
Cool, I didn't know that :)

This is an awesome album - I am so glad that you like it - as you know at the time it was released it received alot of bad press. I love this CD - unfortunately I need to buy a new one - because I one I have is a little scratched.

My second most favourite album, after Achtung Baby. It's so good the difference on my list is almost indiscernible with AB.
The First Time is my favourite on the album, but The Wander and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car are great too. And then there are Stay and Lemon. :heart:

This is one of my most-listened-to U2 albums. And every time I listen to it I hear something new.

:applaud:

C ya!

Marty

Originally posted by Popmartijn

This is one of my most-listened-to U2 albums. And every time I listen to it I hear something new.

this is my favorite U2 album,and definitely one of the most-listened-to......i love it......
though it sounds way too experimental and distant,it presents a wide range of musical surroundings,emotions and images and successfully continues to the whole Achtung Baby ambient,but again from a different point of view.

i even love that 'annoying' sound after The Wanderer....
love the sample of a broken wooden chair in Lemon....
that industrial beat on the beginning of Daddy...
anaemic and nihilistic rap in Numb.....
optimistic atmosphere of Zooropa....
classical love ballad takes place there as well - Stay...

so many reasons to love that album...........
:heart:ZOOROPA:heart:

"Zooropa" had just come out when I first got into U2. Ah, the memories! It's one of my favorite albums. I love, love, love "Numb" and "Dirty Day". I'm sure you are enjoying it. Which other albums did you just get?

All the rest i didnt have lol, lets see I got...
Unforgettable Fire
October
Under a blood red sky
wide awake in america
oh they are all great :D makes me love U2 so much more!
Actually I think it waws yesterday or the day before but I was talkin to my dad in the car and I said "If had a job righ tnow, I would buy everything that had to do with U2" and he said "You would be sick of them" and I said "Wanna bet! Cause I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it" And he said "yep, but you have no money to bet so, lets just say, I know I'm right" :madspit: Well, he isn't right lol. :lmao: That little mad spitting guy is hilarious! :lol:

Zooropa was probably the u2 album that had to grow on me the most. But it is now one of my favorites, incredible songs on that CD. The opening track "Zooropa" is magic, the experimentation with "Numb" and "Lemon," and "Stay" is u2 perfection. You can tell it is one of Bono's favorite tracks because he still raves about it. I can hear that song 100 times straight!

Zooropa is a brilliant album. It's not one of their best, in terms of cohesiveness and overall arch, but it is probably one of their most brilliant. It was U2 when they were trying to be the very least like U2...and that's what makes it so great. 'Some Days are Better Than Others' is a great track! I'm not seeing very much love for it. 'The First Time' is fantastic, and ends spectacularly. The title track's last 3 minutes are amazing, and as someone else said, 'Stay' will go down in history as one of U2's all time best songs. I too listened to 'Babyface' about 100 times after buying the CD. 'Lemon' is alright, but Bono's voice is simply a little too 'affected'. 'Daddy's Gonna Pay...' suffers, I think, from the same kind of affectation. No doubt, I love Bono's theatrics in the Zoo TV concert video, and in general, but I am not a fan of the nasaly singing that graces some of Zooropa's tracks. 'Numb' is great...and although I am a fan of the 'remixed' version from their best of...it sounded a little bit like they were trying to rewrite the past on that track.

On a side note - If God Will Send His Angels was also going to be on Zooropa, and I believe they even recorded it during that era, but they thought it was too catchy to belong on the record. That explanation doesn't really make a whole lot of sense because 'Stay' made it onto the record, and that's one of U2's most accessible songs to this day. All that info is from U2's best biography, 'At the End of the World', which, for those of you who don't know (and I'm sure there aren't many), is a biography of U2 from about 1990-1995. It's probably the best biography I've ever read.

One more thing - is it just me or does Bono's voice sound different on Zooropa than it does on Achtung, Baby? It's only a two year period but his voice definitely sounds...like I said earlier...'nasaly'. Like he's singing more from his mouth and nose than his throat. I'm thinking one of two things, and the answer could actually lie somewhere in between both of them:

1.) He's merely affecting his voice for the sound of the album
or
2.) His voice is already beginning to change into what would grace the POP record, i.e. - losing some of its power and becoming less 'throaty'.

Thoughts?

TheWho4Life said:
All the rest i didnt have lol, lets see I got...
Unforgettable Fire
October
Under a blood red sky
wide awake in america

The greatest thing about a U2 album is the way they grow on you. All my very favourite U2 albums - Unforgettable Fire, POP, Zooropa etc I disliked when I first heard them, but after a few plays one by one the great songs break into your mind and you realise how amazing they actually are. It took me a little while to like Wire (from UF), for example, but then one night when I was listening to UF on the headphones Wire started and I suddenly realised what a fecking brilliant song it truly is, and it's still one of my favourites today.

...so anyway, lots of good times ahead of you...

:hug: TheWho4Life :hug: Hey sweetie, I'm really glad that you've "discovered" new U2...makes me remember the times when I was doing the same, so thank you for doing that for me! We are so lucky to be living during the time of this band!

Miggy D said:

One more thing - is it just me or does Bono's voice sound different on Zooropa than it does on Achtung, Baby? It's only a two year period but his voice definitely sounds...like I said earlier...'nasaly'. Like he's singing more from his mouth and nose than his throat. I'm thinking one of two things, and the answer could actually lie somewhere in between both of them:

1.) He's merely affecting his voice for the sound of the album
or
2.) His voice is already beginning to change into what would grace the POP record, i.e. - losing some of its power and becoming less 'throaty'.

Thoughts?

I think his voice sounds different because it did change. Take into consideration that the bulk of Achtung Baby was recorded in 1990 and 1991 and Zooropa was recorded during a break from touring for the Zoo TV tour and if you listen to some live shows off the tour his voice was begining to change during late 1992 and early 1993.

Zooropa is in my 3 favourites as well (along with Achtung - the greatest 72 minutes of music ever recorded - and the Unforgettable Fire). Stay, Lemon, Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Zooropa etc... so good.

And on Unforgettable Fire there are plenty of those 'forgotten' U2 gems, like A Sort Of Homecoming.

My ultimate U2 would sound like a mix of War/Boy's energy, the Unforgettable Fire's atmosphere and meaning, all sent through the Achtung Baby Sonic Creativity Machine and packaged with the coolness of Zooropa.

david said:

I think his voice sounds different because it did change. Take into consideration that the bulk of Achtung Baby was recorded in 1990 and 1991 and Zooropa was recorded during a break from touring for the Zoo TV tour and if you listen to some live shows off the tour his voice was begining to change during late 1992 and early 1993.

I think it's in part because it did naturally change, plus I think on the Zoo TV tour he played around with his voice more than normal (think of his on stage characters and the voices he put on for them) and so he was probably just having fun with his new sounds, that nasaly MacPhisto voice, and the fat lady voice that you hear a bit of on Achtung, but you hear a lot of on Zooropa. I just think mostly that in the 90's every member of U2 played with their sound a lot, and took it away from what it was in the 80's. For Bono, that obviously meant his voice. He moved away from what we 'knew' of his voice from the 80's - the ultimate stadium voice - and twisted it into the gravelly, nasaly, fat lady voices he did in the 90's (and he was already 'doing gravelly' on Achtung Baby) just as Edge moved away from his big soaring anthemic solo's of the 80's to the dirty sound of Achtung etc, Bono did the same with his voice.

starsgoblue said:
:hug: TheWho4Life :hug: Hey sweetie, I'm really glad that you've "discovered" new U2...makes me remember the times when I was doing the same, so thank you for doing that for me! We are so lucky to be living during the time of this band!
:hug: YES we are lucky to be living during this time aren't we :)
Kinda makes me sad though, cause I wasn't around when The Who was groovin and jammin and famous :sad: Maybe that's why U2 is here :D to help that sadness... YAY!
:hug:

TheWho4Life said:
"You would be sick of them"

Ha! People have been telling me that for over ten years. And I am sure there are people who have been hearing that even longer.

I've listened to U2 every day for the past ten years and I'm still not sick of them.

Enjoy your new stuff. :hug:

Zooropa is probably my sixth favourite album, right after Achtung Baby. I think most people here rate nineties U2 too highly, and Zooropa (or AB) would have a hard time competing with works of genius such as The Unforgettable Fire. That said, it's an absolutely stunning piece of work.

Zooropa - 9.5/10 - this song is simply amazing. From the long intro to the major distortion on Edge's guitar to the clever lyrics, it's a masterpiece.
Babyface - 3/10 - worst track on the album, and I believe the story is that Bono had to get Edge drunk to persuade him to include it on the album. Despite the poor music and somewhat iffy lyrics, it does make a good point about the media turning consumers into voyeurs.
Numb - 9/10 - I love it when Edge sings, I really do, even when it's more spoeaking like this. The music video is hysterical.
Lemon - 10/10 - possibly the best track on the album. Sheer genius.
Stay - 10/10 - if Lemon isn't the best, this is. One of U2's most beautiful songs.
DGPFYCC - 8.5/10 - took a while to grow on me, but it's a quality track.
SDABTO - 9/10 - when I bought Pop, they accidentally gave me the Zooropa CD and so I went straight to track seven, looking to hear Gone (because I loved it on the Best Of). Well, I got quite a shock. I instantly fell in love with this track, though.
The First Time - 8/10 - I need to be in the right mood to appreciate this one, otherwise it flows right by me.
Dirty Day - 8/10 - I haven't listened to this one in a very long time so I don't know if I would still consider it boring like I used to. I adore the live performances of it.
The Wanderer - 10/10 - I am in love with the lyrics. Need I say more?

When I first started getting into U2 I really didn't like this album. Boy was I missing out!!!!Man I love this album. It's so great.

Zooropa is a completely awesome song. I love the lyrics and the sound of this song. It's becoming one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Lemon is also great. I used to dislike his falsetto singing on this song, but I think it's cool now. The chorus and background music are great too. Great song. Long too!

I used to think Stay wasn't very good either. Well, once again I was wrong! I don't know what it is about this song, I can't put my finger on it at all. It's just great.

The First Time and Dirty Day are spectacular too. Some of the saddest songs for me.

This is such a great album. It gets more playtime lately than any other U2 album. I listen to it just about every night while I fall asleep.

I adore this album too much for words. If I had to give up all but one of my U2 cds, it would be a very tough decision, but I think Zooropa would be the one I'd keep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom