Your daily random Bono sighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get it:) I have more U2 related trivial reports: Christmas Eve in WalMart, Baby Please Come Home was on the muzak speaker and I hated it when the employees kept breaking in telling so and so they had a call on line whatever. In the Colts-Atlanta game, coming into halftime, they showed scenes of various Colts to the tune of "WGRYWH."

This is the best line in the song "Do they know its Christmas", put the volume up as loud as you can, listen to that song, hear Bono belt that line out, and I guarantee you will get chills :yes:
I have been listening to that song all week, and I tend to replay that part over and over! :drool:

brown...

the sports guy is a reporter for espn.com... he also writes for the jimmy kimmel show. he puts out an article once every other month or so where he just makes random ramblings about sports, stuff and tv, and just life in general... he often makes u2 references, which makes me believe he's a fan (perhaps he's here :shifty:. he compared roger clemens asking for a contract extension after a bad season to u2 asking for a new contract after pop once :lmao:

here are the entire ramblings. maybe in context of the rest of the article will make the one bono quote make more sense

Suzy Kolber's interview with Joe Namath wasn't just the greatest moment of the year, it might have been the greatest moment of my life.

When your name is Dwight Gooden Jr., do crack dealers just start cold-calling you?

As bad as I feel about Mike Tyson's bankruptcy, at least it gave him the chance to say the words "Financial distress."

Here's an idea: If we need to squeeze Saddam Husseim for information, let's make him watch a continuous loop of the Ruiz-Rahman fight. He'll be chirping in no time.

Shouldn't the Seahawks just hire Ed Harris or Gavin McLeod as their third-string QB and get it over with?

I wish I were good friends with a Pistons fan, just so I could tease them mercilessly about this Darko-Carmelo thing. "Wow, you guys exploded for 77 tonight! And I heard Darko played the last 20 seconds and looked fantastic!! You must be feeling good!"

(Then again, I have to root for Ricky Davis every night. Nice pass, Ricky, right idea ... no, Ricky, don't punch him, he's your teammate! Ricky, no! No!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You know, enough time has passed that we should be able to answer the following question: Did Pedro's throwdown of Don Zimmer rank ahead of Reggie Jackson's attempted murder of the Queen in "Naked Gun" on the Improbable Baseball Scale? I say it did. I'm willing to discuss it though.

I wish I could buy stock in things like "Kirstie Alley will get that stomach-stapling operation and end up on the cover of People Magazine within the next three years."

Hey, is anyone else hoping that Jay-Z comes up with enough cash to purchase the Nets, just to see the unadulterated glee in David Stern's eyes when he votes the sale down?

So, Paris Hilton has an explicit sex tape leaked on the Internet, followed by her appearance in a contrived reality-TV show that really isn't even that funny ... and she becomes a big star. And I guess my question is this: Is there any chance that this formula could catch on? Couldn't this give Tara Reid some ideas?

I never thought HBO replacing "Arli$$" with "Mind of the Married Man" would be topped ... and then the Knicks replaced Scott Layden with Isiah Thomas.

Even though it has been 20 years, every December, I still get a hop in my step when I hear Bono belting out, "Well, tonight thank God it's them, instead of yooooou!" Even if I'm not exactly sure what he means.

After one year working on a late-night TV show, the Pantheon of "Female Guests Who Looked So Freaking Hot In Person, Everyone At Work Was Talking About It The Next Day" shapes up like this ...
(Drumroll please...)
1.Jennifer Garner
2.Brooke Burke
3.Jessica Alba
(And yes, I think you need to know these things.)

I mean, don't they have to remake "Field of Dreams" now? There's Joe Jackson in right, Ty Cobb in center, and ... wait a second, it's Ted Williams's head in left! Run for your lives!!!!!"

I just hope there's videotape when Scott Hamilton and his new son play catch for the first time.

Does anyone else think Brian Austin Green watches Justin Timberlake's career unfold and says to himself, "Wait a second, what did I do wrong?"

The worst part about working in an office? When somebody gets the flu, then pulls the Patient X routine and gets 29 co-workers sick. The second-worst part? Feeling obligated to buy candy you didn't want in the first place, just because someone's little daughter is hawking chocolate to raise money for her school, and you feel like a Scrooge if you don't buy any ... only this happens every week, to the point that you can't wait to have a daughter so you can bring her into work and have her sell second-rate chocolate to people who don't want it, just to get those bastards back. And the third-worst part? The guy who uses the toaster oven to make a bagel, then leaves it on so the whole office smells like his burnt bagel crumbs.

(Sorry, I just needed to get this stuff of my chest. Would anyone like eight boxes of toffee crunch?)

We have 280 million people in this country ... you're telling me that 32 of them couldn't be decent punters? Thirty-two out of 280 million? It's that difficult?

There isn't a better face in sports right now then the Kareem Rush "I can't believe I'm playing with four Hall of Famers" Face.

I gave it some thought, and here's what I decided: My favorite Matsui is still Matt Suhey.

All right, instead of dealing with North Korea and Iraq, shouldn't our government be figuring out ways to topple this champion Japanese hot dog eater? Couldn't we build Ruben Studdard bionic intestines or something?

When Barry Tompkins showed up to announce that Hopkins-Mayorga-Rahman pay-per-view, then realized he was on the same announcing team with Chris Byrd, Ron Borges, Tom Joyner, Jim Hill and the Colonel Bob Sheridan ... I mean, at what point did he mutter to himself, "Don't these people realize who I am? I called the Balboa-Drago fight in Russia, for God's sake!"

You know you're cheap when you wear pajamas to a Halloween party, then claim it's your costume.

The best part of the Gov. Schwarzenegger Era so far -- other than seeing Oui Magazine back in the limelight -- was when he declared a financial emergency this month. I kept waiting for him to come sprinting into a press conference screaming, "Hurry, we're broke! Move! There's no time! Look out! Move!!!! Behind you!!!"

Hey, whatever happened to the Bermuda Triangle? Is it full? Did it retire? Did it swallow itself?

Even Roy Hobbs' father didn't drop dead as fast as HBO's Sunday night lineup.

If you're looking for a good late Christmas gift for somebody, buy them Michael Madsen's book of poetry. Just trust me. Your life and their life will never be the same.

You know it's over for a band when they announce they're reuniting, and you didn't even realize they broke up in the first place.

Just when you thought Michael Caine's status as "The least convincing soccer player in sports movie history" was safe, the Indian girl from "Bend It Like Beckham" came out of nowhere and blew him away.

My favorite e-mail from the past few months: When the African-American woman made it to Round Three of "The Bachelor" this fall, one of my readers compared it to Gonzaga making the Sweet 16.

I can't wait to stroll into a Hollywood Starbucks some day and see Kyle and Efram from "Project Greenlight" standing behind the counter.

Speaking of Starbucks, with a large Egg Nog Latte and the right level of bronchitis, somebody could shatter the Phlegm Record as we know it. I just hope it's me.

Burning questions: Why doesn't Vitaly Klitschko start bringing Brigette Nielsen to his boxing matches? Did anyone else exhale when the Yankees went for Sheffield over Vlad? When will TNT acquire the rights to the "Road House" musical and start showing it nine times a week? Is Prince Harry looming as the Royal Fredo or is it just me? How can VH1 leave me out of not one but TWO "I love the 80's" shows? Why not a 10-yard facemask penalty? Was Lillian from "Survivor" being consulted by Grady Little? Shouldn't Kyle Korver and Richie Frahm be forced to wear throwback jerseys at all times? Does anyone else see the NHL shutting down for like eight years? And why does the pizza at Costco always look so damn good?

Every time I hear CBS's music for NFL games, I keep thinking it was accidentally switched with their "Nightly News" theme or something.

If Steve Rushin interviewed Doug Christie and Kurt Warner at the same time, would they immediately induct that moment into the Whipped Hall of Fame?

What's more enjoyable on a weekly basis -- Deion Sanders on "American Sportsman," or Cris Carter on "Inside the NFL"? It's a toss-up, isn't it?

That reminds me, wouldn't "Inside the NFL" be infinitely more entertaining if Peter King strolled onto the set saying, "Good afternoon, everyone," and Costas and the gang screamed out, "Norm!"?

Seriously, let's just start chopping body parts off Steve McNair. Let's see how far we can push this and still have him throw for 250 yards.

Put it this way: You'll see Kobe co-hosting "The View" before you see me sitting through the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Finally, for five days a week, 52 weeks a year, I scour the USA Today transactions every morning, just for the chance that something like "Chicago trades Roger Mason Jr. for Rick Brunson" happened. And when it does happen ... well, it makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. Just thinking about the fact that somebody actually called that baby into the league office last week -- with a straight face, no less -- keeps a smile on my face all through the holidays. You have to love sports sometimes.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

NO offense Najeena but I thought we'd all seen/heard that song a million times over the years! Anyway here's the lyrics. Bono's part is somewhere in the middle. I have highlighted his solo,and he was also active on the lines just before it with Sting and others. If you listen to the 'chimes of doom' part you can really hear his voice coming through strong. Of course he's in the chorus all along too.

It's Christmas time
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmas time
We let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
Is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring
There are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmas time
Feed the world
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

And there won't be snow in Africa
This Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow

Feed the world
Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmas time again

(Here's to you) raise a glass for everyone
(Here's to them) underneath that burning sun

Feed the world

No offense again, but this song always kind of seemed lame to me. Not the purpose, or the cause of course, that was great. But saying there won't be snow in Africa is ridiculous since most of the countries are equatorial and it never snows anyway:laugh: Also do they know it's Christmas? Well, I don't think they really expect Santa regardless considering the vast majority are not Christians, but Muslims or various native tribal religions. Still I see what the song is trying to get at and it's a noble thing. I know I analyze too much, sorry.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a good place to mention this, anyway today my esthetician told me she was watching "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?" on the Style Network and the groom was a really big U2 fan--wore Bono Bulgari shades to the ceremony, they had U2 written on the wedding cake and I guess a U2 tribute band came to the wedding. If you're interested, keep an eye out for that.

Well, Leeloo... I've been busy, OK? Thanks for the info, now I know what to listen for and when. I sort of dismissed the song when it came out because it seemed like more of a publicity stunt than anything else. And because front and center was M. Jackson, who gave me the creeps. I was wrong about it being a stunt, not about Jackson. I'll watch and listen the next time it crosses my path. Did anyone ever see the Saturday Night Live parody song, "Let the Chickens Free"? I laughed myself sick.

najeena said:
Did anyone ever see the Saturday Night Live parody song, "Let the Chickens Free"? I laughed myself sick.

Saw that! :lmao: along with the Frank Sinatra episode where Bono (Adam Sandler) is doing a duet with Frank (Phil Hartman, may he rest in peace). Bono kept coming in to re-do the song because he didn't like the way it sounded. Frank has to finally punch him out. Funny as shit!!! :laugh:

Bono comes in on the line ' And the Christmas bells that ring there', and that is a much better moment than him singing alone. Never before has someone sang the word 'And' and truly made it their own!

najeena said:
Well, Leeloo... I've been busy, OK? Thanks for the info, now I know what to listen for and when. I sort of dismissed the song when it came out because it seemed like more of a publicity stunt than anything else. And because front and center was M. Jackson, who gave me the creeps. I was wrong about it being a stunt, not about Jackson. I'll watch and listen the next time it crosses my path.

I totally understand, really. I feel the same way about MJ. The reason I thought it was more heard than that was because it seems to have made a comeback the last year or two on the radio and in stores on the Christmas music list of recordings.

Did anyone ever see the Saturday Night Live parody song, "Let the Chickens Free"? I laughed myself sick.

Noooo! I never heard of that! I guess I've been busy too! :lol: Or going to bed too early :yawn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom