WOW. One has completely bowled me over. Again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
I have always loved One. It's extremely high on my list of all-time favorite songs by any artist. Hearing it live is an experience to remember. Hearing it live and seeing the names of the Sep. 11th victims surrounding the dark arena in light is a spiritual awakening. And yet despite the magic of this song, it always finds a way to reach deep down and touch parts of me that it hasn't touched before.

I won't go into much detail, but I've been carrying a lot of stress and worry around lately, and particularly tonight I was just feeling worn out mentally and physically. So I decide to do something I don't do enough - listen to Achtung Baby all the way through. I was hoping not really to find a release, but just to find something to take my mind off the shitty day and the worries. So I slip on my nice, comfy headphones and put in the cd. Zoo Station and EBTTRT do a good job of distracting me from the day.

And it happens. Larry counts off the beat and a beautiful, intricate and tender guitar line starts. I stop what I'm doing and just listen, completely mesmerized.

Is it getting better
Or do you feel the same?

And then this voice, this achingly beautiful voice that sounds like it's had it's share of rough nights and yet still holds tenderness - this voice comes out, speaking right at me. Not just at me, but in me, through me - past my guises and my self-constructed walls. Piercing and yet incredibly comforting.

Will it make it easier on you now
You've got someone to blame?

It doesn't take long for the voice to see through my masks. But I don't want to hide anymore. The voice becomes me. Saying what I couldn't to say, asking the questions I was afraid to ask, revealing what I tried to hide. And I realize I'm not alone. For a man who doesn't know I exist to be able to pierce my heart and heal it in one move shows me that I'm not alone. I'm never alone. Yes, what I'm going through may hurt. But I'd be a fool to think I'm alone.

For the first time in a long time I just let go. Forget about trying to hold it in - I just let it all out. All my frustrations...all my worries flow out as this beautiful voice comforts me, puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder and reminds me that we're not the same, but we get to carry each other. And for this moment his voice carries me.

Maybe I wasn't initially looking for a release, but I found one of those beautiful moments of catharsis that it seems only music can bring. It's absurd how music can move me so much. I've been sitting here for the past 20 minutes with One on repeat (so much for listening straight through the album). It's admittedly a little too close to me to judge fairly right now, but I believe One is the greatest song U2 has ever done.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by Diemen:
Maybe I wasn't initially looking for a release, but I found one of those beautiful moments of catharsis that it seems only music can bring. It's absurd how music can move me so much. I've been sitting here for the past 20 minutes with One on repeat (so much for listening straight through the album). It's admittedly a little too close to me to judge fairly right now, but I believe One is the greatest song U2 has ever done.

Another proof of the healing power of U2 music...especially a song like One. I have felt that way so many times Diemen...it?s tough but I have always found comfort in songs like One and Bad and Walk On and...so many marvellous songs. I wholeheartedly agree with you. One is magic and it can touch one?s soul deeply and strongly. A masterpiece.

I hope you?re feeling better now and that your sorrows have an end soon.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

All of what both of you have just said is *exactly* why I became a fan, and *exactly* what saved my life. I don't want to go into detail about the spiral I was going down, but we all have our swan songs, and I firmly believe One saved and changed my life in the instant I heard it - and I am forever thankful to U2 for....my life.
smile.gif

Well, "sorrows" is too strong a word for my situation. Worry and doubt are more appropriate.

It's surprising how much this song helped me. 2 days later and I really have a much better (and healthier) outlook on the whole situation.

People talk about the healing power of music a lot. It's definitely easy to understand after this.

Excellent thread Diemen. And yes, music's amazing healing qualities have helped me get through a lot of black times in my life. I can honestly say that without it in my life, I probably wouldn't be here. Either that or I'd be nuttier than I already am.
wink.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

"One" has always seemed to make my many hardships easier to handle. I do believe it is a song about Redemption in the fullest form.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I agree.. both about U2's music, and about one.. IT is my favorite song, and by reason of logic, my favorite U2 song, It's done wonders for me, It's always soo comforting, and the great power of it, is that it can fit so many different things, bring solace in so many situations, and bring me to peace.

These are the threads I love to read the most.

L. Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom