Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Bono on vocals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A song or two, if it's a good singer and a good song, ok - or something like a separate, non-U2 project.

A U2 album without Bono singing? Not happening.

I remember seeing an interview once with Larry around the Achtung Baby era..

It was all about how the whole Lovetown tour seemed to be getting out of hand, with the extra musicians, singers, & guest appearances as a key part of each show. And how he felt it was good to get back to basics on AB.

I think the key thing here is that Bono Edge Larry and Adam are U2. You can add extra things into the mix, but without one of them, or if you bring other influences in much more strongly ie Passengers, Then you start to lose that purity.

i wouldnt mind as long as it was under a alias like passengers 2.

edge on the sax for the new album and bono on the harmonica = winning combo.

sax on the beach

Ellay said:
I remember seeing an interview once with Larry around the Achtung Baby era..

It was all about how the whole Lovetown tour seemed to be getting out of hand, with the extra musicians, singers, & guest appearances as a key part of each show. And how he felt it was good to get back to basics on AB.

I think the key thing here is that Bono Edge Larry and Adam are U2. You can add extra things into the mix, but without one of them, or if you bring other influences in much more strongly ie Passengers, Then you start to lose that purity.
First pertinent response in the thread and I thank you :macdevil:

Well that certainly makes sense, though. HOWEVER, the "getting back to basics" thing has been applied for the previous 2 albums and, while certainly a good output of songs, I'm feeling that it might just be time to "mix things up a bit" within the U2 arrangement *shrugs*

:adam: "we're the biggest band in the world, we're rich beyond belief, we have record and ticket sales that rival or even surpass those of the beatles and the rolling stones, we can sell out any building anywhere... but what can we do to make it all better." :hmm:
:larry: "i know... make the edge the lead singer!"
:adam: "brilliant!"
:edge: "excellent"
:bono: :sad:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's impossible to know if Edge's voice is spot on or note perfect. He's only sang what two songs lead Van and SBS(and a few karoke songs) the rest is back up.

It's pretty easy to sing back up and not be the strongest singer.

Besides the already mentioned Seconds, there's also Numb, and he's sung Party Girl live too. Oh, and he'd do some lead vocals for Stand By Me live on ZooTV (about half the song, I think), and at one ZooTV show, Bono surprised Edge by asking him to perform Lost Highway - and he did, despite the fact he couldn't remember all the lyrics.

I think Edge has always sounded good live, and as far as Seconds goes, he sounds more different from Bono live than in studio.

I don't think you are crazy, Catman - at least not entirely. :wink:

I don't see the point of having a U2 album with limited vocal involvement by Bono. That would be like having pizza without the tomato sauce or without the cheese.

But if they were to do something like Passengers only with some guest vocalists, that would be cool. Or maybe just have Bono go work with some jazz musicians without the rest of U2?

Originally written by AtomicBono:

When you've got one of the best vocalists around today, why the hell would you wanna have someone
else sing your songs? That makes absolutely no sense... taking Bono off lead vocals would take the soul out of U2. I'd rather have someone else write lyrics and Bono sing them than Bono write lyrics and have someone else sing them (though I think Bono should do both as he's always done). I think the most important thing Bono contributes to the band is his voice - hence him being the lead singer. If he's not the lead singer, what's the point

I agrree 100% :applaud:

And another thing, why do people have to be so agest?

Tom Jones and Rod Stewart are older than Bono yet they write far more sexual songs

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why is it people can't realize Edge would make a lousy lead singer?

As to the original question, sure, just don't call it a U2 album.:|

Exactly...it's not a U2 album if Bono doesn't do most of the singing.

I'd like to see Bono spend half as much time writing good lyrics for the next album as he spends on his politicking. Bono is my idol, etc., but his lyric writing has gotten lazy.

clifedge said:

Exactly...it's not a U2 album if Bono doesn't do most of the singing.

Agreed, Edge's voice is fine for backing vocals - but it's no where near as strong as Bono's voice and I doubt he has the same range either....

Bono= lead singer

It should stay like that.

I would really mind, it would feel as if there were something missing. In my eyes without bono singing it wouldnt be a u2 album. The odd edge song..but nothing more please god!

most of you are being close minded. or those who post anyway.

What if Edge had lead vocals with Bono filling up the background?

Im sure the Edge could find his own voice if given the main mic.

Im sure Bono would find a way to make a big impact. with his voice or with some instrument or both...

It would be different, it would be fresh. it would be a way to relieve those of the masses who are getting tired of seeing bono hearing bono and seeing bono but are into the u2 sound. then it will leave them drooling for the return of Bono on the next proper record.... this all under the assumption that they put out something quick to resume the Vertigo tour. It wouldnt have a huge campaign behind it to come crashing down if it didnt work out well.

Id still see it as a u2 album, possibly a great one.

t8thgr8 said:

Im sure Bono would find a way to make a big impact. with his voice or with some instrument or both...

It would be different, it would be fresh. it would be a way to relieve those of the masses who are getting tired of seeing bono hearing bono and seeing bono but are into the u2 sound. then it will leave them drooling for the return of Bono on the next proper record.... this all under the assumption that they put out something quick to resume the Vertigo tour. It wouldnt have a huge campaign behind it to come crashing down if it didnt work out well.

Well, there's Numb - Edge did lead vocals and Bono did backing vocals. They trade the lead on Seconds. :shrug:

I just think Edge is content beign Bono's singing "wingman". He provides the harmonies/choruses, and can still step in if Bono is having a REALLY bad night (Sarajevo Popmart).
That said, I'm not sure he has Bono's range and charisma for a lead singer.

:shrug: All singers get the most attention in rock bands.

t8thgr8 said:
the u2 sound

That's if you're not considering Bono as part of the "U2 sound." What got me into U2 years ago was the voice, not the music. Now I love the music tons more, but it's still the voice that makes it U2 to me. :shrug:

Utoo said:
Now I love the music tons more, but it's still the voice that makes it U2 to me. :shrug:

yup.

in high school, i used to drive around with The Joshua Tree playing at the highest possible volume and listen to the high note of WOWY over and over and over and over and i convinced myself that it was the greatest single note ever recorded in the history of music.

i was overdramatic like that in high school, but the point remains: bono is their voice.

i love Edge's voice, and was floored at how gorgeous he sounded on the Johnny Cash tribute, those "wa-wa-wandering's" and i'd love to see him sing more, but Bono is 100% irreplacable.

Just more harmonies ON THE ALBUM, that's all we need.

Why City of Blinding Lights didn't have those Edge harmonies on the record, someone should have been clubbed to death for that.

t8thgr8 said:

I'm glad someone said this. It shocks me how people here are so totally opposed to change. You have some bands that go through multiple vocalists/instrumentalists and the fans cope just fine, but if you even dare to suggest a bit of role-changing (not member-changing!) in U2, it's suddenly "not U2"?

Though if I'm honest, I'd be more interested in an Edge solo album than in a new U2 album. Thank goodness for Captive, I suppose.

Axver said:

I'm glad someone said this. It shocks me how people here are so totally opposed to change. You have some bands that go through multiple vocalists/instrumentalists and the fans cope just fine, but if you even dare to suggest a bit of role-changing (not member-changing!) in U2, it's suddenly "not U2"?

I'm sure you would say the same thing if one of your favorite prog bands cut out the drum solos and wrote simple songs.:|

i would not mind if U2 kicked Bono out of the band!!
bring in a new singer or let Edge take over!!

drop Bono off in Africa or at the white house!!!(because thats what he's good at these days)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He even got a fucking stupid haircut to fit in with the Politicians!!
Sell Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

look at Bush now!!
pulp-politicians.jpg

Last edited:
So having a different opinion is now = being close minded? People put forth reasonable arguments why they disagree with this. (or at least, would prefer not call this "U2" if you're having guest singers that aren't U2 members)

The arguments why it should be done are there, too. That said,
- "I don't mind female singers, as long as they're the right ones". That's not close minded?
- "people are tired of hearing/seeing Bono" (?!?), we have already seen Edge on lead and Bono on backing vocals and Bono's vocals are the highlight of that song.
- "some bands go through multiple vocalists/instrumentalists". I'm sure they do, but how is this relevant if we're talking about a band that's had the same guy singing and playing guitar for over 25 years now?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oh and I have two more questions for this theory:
- Bono writes 11 lyrics for the album and all of a sudden goes "you know what Edge, I hand over the spotlight to you." Or how does this work?
- exactly where does that leave Bono in live shows? Do you really see him relegated to a background mic?

There is only one area where Edge is better, in the last few years, falsetto.

Last edited:
ozeeko said:
I'm up for anything different that U2 tries. Fuck Bono. If he doesn't remember quickly how to be an interesting lead singer again then let the Edge, let Larry Mullen, I don't care...do something as long as it's interesting. Bono has a hard-on for writing purposely bad lyrics lately. Bring in Bernie Taupin.

it's so true.

in fact, it's so bad that at this point, i wouldn't care if U2 never released another album.

Back
Top Bottom