Would HTDAAB make a good final album for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
HTDAAB surely should not be U2's final album. But if for some reason or another it will be U2's last, do you guys think it would be a fitting last album?

As for me, based on the previews and reviews I think so.

What better way for U2 to end their career with an album that covers the entire gamut of U2 signature sounds, from Bono's screams to falsettos, and Edge's chimes and simplistic signature playing. An album that gives a nod to all of U2's significant musical influences from The Beatles (ABOY, OOTS), Led Zeppelin (LAPOE), The Clash and The Ramones (Vertigo). A song that closes the chapter on U2 wide-terrain epics (COBL) to a song that completes the definitive U2 ballad "One" (SYCMOYO).

I think Achtung would have been a great final album also ..kinda like U2 proving to the world that they are not a one-trick pony and then leaving the world with a sound that looks to the future. POP would have been a miserable final album, and it has too many loose ends. While ATYCLB is a brilliant album, it wouldn't have been a good finale because it seemed to lack a closure.

HTDAAB seems to have it all. It opens with U2's genesis as a band - the Ramones and punk influence in Vertigo - while it takes the listener to a panoramic career-spanning ride in the succeeding songs of all the musical styles and signatures U2 have established throughout their career. Then it ends with Yahweh, as in God ..the true genesis and origin of U2, the ultimate source of all things.

The album has everything from Boy to ATYCLB, mixed with some new fresh elements, and nods to U2's musical idols, and finally the most important thing - closure.

I think based on the reviews and song clips I have heard so far, this album would be a fitting final album for U2.

What do yo guys think?

Cheers,

J

boosterjuice said:
This is a depressing topic.

True, but great post Jick. While I hope it is not their last, your analysis is dead-on. I am actually agreeing with you for once. :uhoh: :shocked:

What do I think? 2 things

1. We should stop discussing this topic

2. Join the HTDAAB Virginity Club so you can get more out of this album as a whole:wink:

Depends on the reaction for HTDAAB critically and commercially. If it is lights out on both accounts, ie better than JT or AB, they very well could shut it down. However, i'm sure they would still find their way back into the studio to see if they could at least try to top it.

:eyebrow: HMMMM.... this topic has got me thinking...

What if HTDAAB does offer closure to some of "U2's themes, while at the same time being a bit retrospective, and also giving a nod to some influences? What if HTDAAB does this while being a commercial and critical success? ... if HTDAAB does all this (forget for a moment about the "best of" contract), does anyone think the boys would close the U2 franchise for a while? Maybe they could persue different musical avenues together a la passengers or some other collaboration for a few years?

I guess I really don't want to see U2 turn into the Rolling Stones... And at the same time it would be nice to see (10 years after Passengers) what they could do without any artistic/commercial constraints.

Any thoughts?

Well in 1992 they signed a 6 record deal with Island
1:Zooropa
2:pop
3:Best Of 1980-1990
4:All That You Can't Leave Behind
5:Best Of 1990-2000,
and now How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
but I heard that this is being released on Universal Records so if this was their last why would they switch when they had one left on Island?

Island is part of Universal Records.
I believe their contract was carried over when Island was purchased by Universal.

Anyone know for sure?

Hoodlem said:
just a reminder...

none of us have heard the album we are all judging right now.

:wink:

I'm trying to judge based on the reviews and the clips we heard. Sure nothing beats listening to the album and deciding for yourself, but hey - what the hell can we discuss between now and November 22? So let's just try to theorize and hypothesize. And I think HTDAAB would make a fitting final album, if even U2 decides to make it their last.

Cheers,

J

uwwedoogie said:
but I heard that this is being released on Universal Records so if this was their last why would they switch when they had one left on Island?

I think we shouldn't be caught up too much on the contracts and all. Whether its a 10 album contract or a 1 album contract, it doesn't really matter. The query of this post is to ask if based on the reviews and clips so far, would HTDAAB make a fitting last album? It's just a hypothetical question really ...just like those dream setlist questions posted here regularly.

Cheers,

J

Rastat said:
And I'm not sure that compilations count as records...

I believe the Best Of's are a separate deal that called for three of those.

As for the topic, if this were their last (I'd hate to think it) then from the sound of what we've heard so far, it looks like it might be fitting. This may be the most U2-sounding album ever, in terms of encompassing the sound that defines U2 to so many people.

uwwedoogie said:

From what I understand, only Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB were covered by that deal. The Best Ofs were under a different deal and Zooropa was the end of the old one.

Well jick, for once it seems I agree with you! I don't think HTDAAB will be U2's last, however... I believe it was The Edge that said in some interview or article or whatever something to the effect of "everytime we go into the studio we strive to make the album... we're not there yet, but this is the closest we've gotten." I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere and didn't just make it up :p Bono has said it's their best or second best (up there with AB)... but U2 will always try to top themselves. I don't think they'll stop til they all four agree that they have made "the album" (or they make 2 crap records in a row :p)

But if for some reason it is there last...I think HTDAAB would be fitting for all the reasons J stated that I'm too lazy to quote or restate.

I don't think it is u2's last. Penultimate quite possibly.

It took a little over 4 years to release this record. That's one hell of a long time.
Are they running out of ideas?
Are they getting somewhat bored with life as musicians and rock stars?
Are they questioning about whether there is more to life than being a member of u2?

Maybe this new album and the upcoming tour will prove an enjoyable period for u2, and might rejuvenate their appreciaiton for what theyve got. Who knows?

It's a depressing topic, but I dont think this album will or can be their last. The end is nigh, but im thinking itll be more around the turn of the decade rather than half way through.

Don't be surprised if it takes another 5 or 6 years for the next u2 album. All 4 of them are looking to discover more about themselves and looking at other ways to live their lives.

Wouldn't it be something if HTDAAB and one more album after this were both masterpieces of a JT/AB level and they bowed out? ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:
Wouldn't it be something if HTDAAB and one more album after this were both masterpieces of a JT/AB level and they bowed out? ;)

That would be impossible. There is only one JT. Even Achtung isn't on the same pedestal as JT.

Cheers,

J

We can't answer that question yet, unless somebody has the album then don't answer thats like saying "the shoes I buy next June will be the best pair I've ever had..."

the morale of the story is...Don't judge the album by the sleeve

jick said:

That would be impossible. There is only one JT. Even Achtung isn't on the same pedestal as JT.

Cheers,

J

Sorry to disagree about that. I feel AB is a far more accomplished album than JT in nearly every respect: artistically, technically, lyrically, musically, socially, politically- everything.

Just my personal opionion, but some of the objective aspects of the music really are superior to anything they've done before or since.

Back
Top Bottom