Worst U2 Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanna mention something first. It's regarding the ATYCLB legacy. I cannot believe how bad this album actually is. I mean, there are some strong songs on it, but as an album it totally sucks. The most amazing thing is that the elevation tour was phenomenal. What a luck that the crap songs worked in a live situation.
I always disliked POP, but it is rising and rising.
The funny thing about it is that we need this new album to really put the ATYCLB crap in perspective.

The Ocean
Fire
Elvis P.
God Part II
Some days are better than others
Mofo
ATYCLB (minus BD, In a little while)

Elvis Presley And America is my second favourite U2 song of all time. There are very very few people who really understand this song. I think it is an absolutely phenomenal track, almost better than Bad, my favourite song of all time....

AussieU2fanman said:
Elvis Presley And America is my second favourite U2 song of all time. There are very very few people who really understand this song. I think it is an absolutely phenomenal track, almost better than Bad, my favourite song of all time....

:applaud:

Worst song ever is Wild Horses. Its so cringeworthly crap it hurts. It doesn't sit well on Acthung Baby one bit. To me it just feels forced and cheesy (much like the video). Unbelievably it was released as a single instead of Ultraviolet which although some of you aren't to keen on it you have to acknowledge it would have made a great radio single. Apart from Wild Horses I cant really think of another song I HATE although i dislike a good few songs off War (Red Light, Refugee) and the odd few tracks such as Peace on Earth, Helter Skelter, If God Will Send His Angels, A Sort of Homecoming, Always. I think most of U2s "less good" material is often still quite pleasant to listen and I think a song like 'Pride' falls into this catergory - in my eyes its one of the bands weakest efforts but when its on the radio it's still not a bad tune to listen to.

Daveone said:
Worst song ever is Wild Horses. Its so cringeworthly crap it hurts. It doesn't sit well on Acthung Baby one bit. To me it just feels forced and cheesy (much like the video)

I know I can speak for many others on this board when I say...NO WAY!!!! This is one of the songs that made me a U2 fan. Definitely a love song...or as U2 describe it...a song about sexual jealousy. The remixed single version made it even better. I think people are put off by this song because of the simplicity of the chorus, but that's what made it a good single. I agree, Ultraviolet is just as good, if not better, but at the time, it probably wasn't right for radio....

Stories Of Boys
Is That All
4th Of July
Love Comes Tumbling
Daddy´s Gonna Paid For Your Crashed Car
Miami
Wild Honey
In A Little While
Grace
The Hands That Built America

:mad: :madspit: :censored: :rant: :angry: :down: :banghead: :no:

Boy - Into the Heart, Twilight
October - Is that all? Scarlet
War - Surrender
UF - Indian Summer Sky, 4th of July
JT - Bullet the Blue Sky
RaH - Love Rescue Me, God Pt. II
AB - Love is Blindness
Zooropa - Somedays are Better than Others, Dirty Day,
Pop - *do i have 2 pick 1?:wink: * Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB - WILAW, Grace
HTDAAB - None from wut ive heard so far :yes:

1. Boy-Into the Heart
2. October-Scarlett
3. War- Red Light
4. UF-4th of July
5. JT-Running to stand still
6. RH- When love comes to town
7. AB- Trying to throw your arms around the world
8. Zooropa- First Time
9. POP- The playboy mansion
10. ATYCLB- Grace

Paul.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I Will Follow
Out of Control
11 O Clock Tick Tock
Gloria
October
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Two Hearts Beat as One
Pride
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
MLK
In God's Country
Red Hill Mining Town
With or Without You
Where the Streets Have no Name
ISHFWILF
Bullet the Blue Sky
One Tree Hill
Desire
All I Want is You
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better than the Real Thing
Acrobat
The Fly
Until the End of the World
Numb
Lemon
Stay
The First Time
Staring at the Sun
Please
Gone
Last Night on earth
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Yahweh
A Man and a Woman
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
One Step Closer
Crumbs from Your Table
Original of the Species
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
Fast Cars
Love and Peace or Else
All Because of You
City of Blinding LIghts

These songs are all crap

Ooohh you are probably the type of "fan" that only like With or Without You and One. :sick: Look, you even mentioned songs that haven't even been released properly. Somewhat of a hasty induction there. :huh:

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

Ooohh you are probably the type of "fan" that only like With or Without You and One. :sick: Look, you even mentioned songs that haven't even been released properly. Somewhat of a hasty induction there. :huh:

I think it was joke. Jeez

ADecentMelody said:
Maybe worst is too strong of a word. What is your least favorite song from each album? And after that, which of your least favorite is least? Let's stick to the main studio (including R&H) albums.

• Boy - Another Time, Another Place
  • October - I Threw a Brick Through a Window
  • War - The Refugee
  • The Unforgettable Fire - 4th of July
  • The Joshua Tree - Bullet the Blue Sky (great lyrics though)
  • Rattle & Hum - When Love Comes to Town
  • Achtung Baby - Zoo Station
  • Zooropa - The Wanderer (and if that's unfair since it's not really U2, then Numb) :|
  • Pop - Miami
  • ATYCLB - New York

Least of the least: The Refugee :huh:

New York is one of the best!
I disagree with everything, except the first three... I hate The Refugee.
Clearly, Miami is a cool song.
The worst of HTDAAB is One Step Closer.
And the worst of ATYCLB is probably Grace.
The worst of POP is The Playboy Mansion.
And the worst of Zooropa is Babyface.
Uhm, Ultraviolet, When Love Comes To Town, One Tree Hill, MLK, and what you wrote for the first three.

Boy- The Electric Co. (The live version on UABRS is AWESOME though)
October- Tomorrow
War- Like A Song
UF- Promenade
Joshua Tree- Mothers of The Disappeared
Rattle and Hum- Heartland
Actung Baby- Acrobat
Zooropa- The First Time
Pop- Miami
ATYCLB- Peace On Earth
HTDAAB- One Step Closer

Boy-none,they are the same, edge kickin on guitar, bono screaming
October-IT'S A PIECE OF S..T
Grace,When i look at the world, Please, all albums last three songs, you pick it except achtung, exit

(starting with UF as I can't get to like Bono's voice on first three albums)

Elvis Presley and America (anything goes attitude - not good)
hmmm...Bullet the blue sky (the one song on JT I never got into, I think it's the slow tempo)
Daddy's gonna pay... (see comment for Elvis Presley)
Miami (see comment for Elvis Presley)
vast majority of Passengers

A Sort Of Homecoming - simply I never liked it and always skip it when playing TUF - there are far better things on that album to listen to IMHO
Promenade - what were they thinking???
Love Rescue Me :yawn:
Van Diemen's Land :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Angel Of Harlem - U2 and American roots music - a mix I don't dig
Still Haven't Found (R&H version) - same as previous
Lemon - the song's OK - it's the Lemoooooon falsetto that drives me up the wall!
If God Will Send His Angels - the only dent on the otherwise wonderful POP - not up to standard in comparison to the rest
Beautiful Day - hated it ever since I heard it for the first time on a sample from the love suitcases they sent you from u2.com. I can't absolutely stand it and it really beats me why people like it so much since I think it's one of U2's weakest singles musically speaking. I've tried really but it's an absolute no-no for me.

Windmilllane said:
I lOVE every single U2 song. How can anybody NOT like a U2 song. It's like not liking pizza, chocolate or sex..:confused: :confused:

I can´t have sex listening The Hands That Built America, I´d rather sleep with that "song" :yuck:

Boy - The Ocean

October - must take another listen to be sure

War - The Refugee

The Unforgettable Fire - EP and America

The Joshua Tree - Mothers of the Disappeared

Rattle & Hum - Silver and Gold

Achtung Baby - TTTYATW

Zooropa - Some Days are Better Than Others

Pop - Miami

ATYCLB - Grace

I love all songs until we get to Joshua Tree....

JT: I have always hated In God's Country... that twang... eeek

R&H: Well like someone said before, the American roots thing and U2 didn't quite do it for me at the time and I like it even less now. Not sure what they were thinking. Still, there were some great songs on there but back to the point of the thread... least liked songs.... um... it has to be Van Diemens Land. I love Edge but YIKES!

AB: Love the album MY FAVOURITE!! But... Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.... never quite did it for me.

Pop: Love Pop loads... wish it got more recognition. Can't think of a song I dislike. I suppose Playboy Mansion is the least favourite.

ATYCLB: Quite a few I dislike on this but I have to say Grace is the worst.

HTAAB: Only listened to it a few times so I know it will change but so far, Crumbs is my least favourite.

Windmilllane said:
I lOVE every single U2 song. How can anybody NOT like a U2 song. It's like not liking pizza, chocolate or sex..:confused: :confused:

Well I don't like deep pan pizza, don't dig chocolate ice-cream and well ...this ain't the place to state what sort of sex I don't like! :wink: :laugh:

Why all the hate for Elvis P??

I have to admit, that song drove me nuts:banghead:
I didn't know what the hell the song was about?

But after listening to it over and over again, it's simply brilliant. Bono's singing is so passionate, the Edge's guitar playing is so melodic and soothing. It's a great f**** song.

* Boy - Into the Heart
* October - Fire
* War - none
* The Unforgettable Fire - definitely none
* The Joshua Tree - still none
* Rattle & Hum - um I HATE Freedom For My People, does that count? :lol:
* Achtung Baby - Zoo Station :crack:
* Zooropa - The First Time
* Pop - I don't like Velvet Dress. am I going to get kicked out of PLEBA for admitting this?! :uhoh:
* ATYCLB - New York

Boy- Shadows and Tall Trees
October- Scarlet
War- Red Light
Unforgettable Fire- 4th July
Joshua Tree- Bullet the Blue Sky (only the album version. This song rocks live)
Rattle and Hum- I still havent Found What I'm Looking For (just not as goodwith the Gospel)
Achtung Baby- Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World (this was the hardest one to choose)
Zooropa-Numb
Pop- Miami (sheer an utter crap on an otherwise intelligent album)
All that You Cant Leave Behind- Grace
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb- One Step Closer To Knowing (yes I'm gonna buy the album)

The Refugee is one of the best songs off of war IMHO. Its just so raw and powerfull. Oh well, to each their own.

Also, Elvis Presley and America is ridiculously good if you listen to it a couple times. Just listen to the passion in Bono's voice (even if you dont know what he's singing).

Last edited:
worst songs

This is a great thread, but how can some of you guys choose So Cruel as your least favourite song on Achtung Baby??? I would have though most people would agree that not only is that one of the best on Achtung but one of their best songs period! Am I wrong?

Re: worst songs

mhowells said:
This is a great thread, but how can some of you guys choose So Cruel as your least favourite song on Achtung Baby??? I would have though most people would agree that not only is that one of the best on Achtung but one of their best songs period! Am I wrong?

I totally agree

ultraviolet7 said:
Promenade - what were they thinking???

Ok, that one got in my nerves. I just love this song.

But here's my list:

Boy - I never like Out Of Control that much, but I've been listening to it a lot lately;
October - There's a bunch here: Stranger In A Strange Land, Is That All?, Tomorrow;
War - The Refugee. Red Light is a song that I like a lot, perhaps because it's so unlike the rest of the album;
TUF - This is my favorite U2 album, so it's hard to pick a song here. 4th Of July and Elvis Presley And America, however, can sound pretty crappy when taken out of context;
The Joshua Tree - I mentioned in other thread that I'm not a fan of Red Hill Mining Town, and the fact that Exit's volume level is so low just drives me crazy;
Rattle And Hum - I consider Hawkmoon 269, Heartland and Love Rescue Me all "weak" songs, but I can't place them on a "bad song list" :)
Achtung Baby - I think AB would be perfect if Acrobat was taken out;
Zooropa - Same here for The First Time. One Step Closer seems to me like an updated, MUCH better version of it. The reason why it made it to The Best Of album is just beyond me;
Pop - Miami, like the songs from TUF, can sound pretty crappy if taken out context; It seems to me more like a point they were trying to make than a real song to me... but the crappy song here is The Playboy Mansion, no doubt about it;
ATYCLB - When I Look At The World. Now THIS song should be on a "bad song list". I think this is the only song on this entire list that I just CAN'T like;
HTDAAB - Too early to tell, but I just did not like Crumbs From Your Table.

Strangely enough, I love this kind of thread :lol:

As long as we're going with "least favorite" as opposed to "worst," here we go. With most of these albums, this is pretty tough for me...

Boy --"Another Time, Another Place"
October --"Tomorrow"
War --"Seconds"
The Unforgettable Fire --"4th of July"
The Joshua Tree --"Trip Through Your Wires"
Rattle and Hum --"Love Rescue Me"
Achtung Baby --"So Cruel"
Zooropa --"Babyface"
Pop --"Do You Feel Loved?"
All That You Can't Leave Behind --"Peace On Earth" and "Grace"...way too close to call
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb --"A Man And A Woman," I think...I absolutely despise this song

That'd make my all-time most-hated U2 song "A Man And A Woman," then. I feel a bit strange saying that, but my emotional response to the song backs it up; it's the first time EVER that I've truly hated--I mean, really truly hated--a U2 song.

Back
Top Bottom