Why Is U2 Not Promoting The Living Hell Out of Freaking Original of the Species???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Song 10?

Not even talked about as a single?

Not rehearsed for SNL?

This is song is my favorite song of the last 12 years, bar none.

I wish this were this song was the centerpiece of the album!

patience......Vertigo is the first single. OOTS will be the 4th or 5th single.

Great song. Everyone who says U2 played it safe hasn't heard this song. They go headfirst into Beatle territory. And they win. I love the 12 string strumming through the whole tune.

I seriously think this song could have major crossover appeal. It would have to be 4th single.

Our radio station is playing ABOY now in Phoenix, sounds great on the radio & should be another hit.

I don't get what all the fuss about OOTS is. It's a good song, but it's not a 10/10, and it's certainly not the best song on the album. To me, the song that never seems to get enough attention is Crumbs From Your Table. It's one of those rare songs that I loved at first, and yet, it's also a grower. It has grown into my favorite song on a VERY deep album. But OOTS is very Beatle/Oasis ISH to me, and certainly not groundbreaking.

as you wish16 said:
I don't get what all the fuss about OOTS is. It's a good song, but it's not a 10/10, and it's certainly not the best song on the album. To me, the song that never seems to get enough attention is Crumbs From Your Table. It's one of those rare songs that I loved at first, and yet, it's also a grower. It has grown into my favorite song on a VERY deep album. But OOTS is very Beatle/Oasis ISH to me, and certainly not groundbreaking.

Original is definetely NOT groundbreaking.

My friends says it sounds like an Aerosmith song.

I think it's a song who could have been made by many bands like Aerosmith, Beatles, Bon Jovi... It's bland and generic.

I think Bono's vocals on this song are way over the top in the chorus. Especially in the last chorus he pushes his voice too much... And it sounds forced...

OOTS is one of my least fave songs.

The great songs are: Miracle Drug (the best by far), Love and Peace or Else, All Because of You, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Yawhew and A Man and a Woman.

Last edited:
I think it says a lot about U2 when everyone on this forum has different favorites. No song gets neglected, and every song is a standout to at least someone here. :)

The song is great. The production is shit – I hate the cellos so far in the back. the song is too thin. but this is only from the leaked versions – maybe the bass is fuller on the real deal. find out tues.

I'm really starting to appreciate this song alot (Original of the Species) it grows on ya. Its actually very unlike most U2 songs and at the same time sounds like quintesential U2. The arrangement is not very common among the U2 catalogue. It is poppy, but it also has alot of SOUL.

When a poppy song has SOUL, like many Beatles songs, then it can become a classic. This song has that potential, but only after some time. Time will tell, so will the live performances.

I love the song, it could have been the next kit - except that Bono can't sing it :( the chorus is screwed, bono has never fucked up as bad on an offcial release :( that along with the break in STYCMIOYO kinda brings the album down a bit for me...

The rest is cool though :)

I actually think 'sometimes' would have been better left on the cd as a part of the story, only U2 fans should see inside and only they would undertand.

I don't see much appeal for 'sometimes' as a single to the general public who don't know the story behind the song. I thyink Miracle drug would be better as a 2nd single, it's better sonically and the song is more universal sounding in my opinion.

I don't know. I'm not thrilled over 'sometimes' but it is quite good compared to what other bands can do. A great song still

I am kindof glad when they only strongly push one song, such as Vertigo and let others be more quietly enjoyed. The burn-out factor is taking effect with Vertigo. I would be happy if only one song gets sacrificed to the gods of promotion.

Know what I mean, Vern?

U2_Guy said:

Original is definetely NOT groundbreaking.

My friends says it sounds like an Aerosmith song.

I think it's a song who could have been made by many bands like Aerosmith, Beatles, Bon Jovi... It's bland and generic.

I

Yes yes...lets lump the Beatles in with awful crud like Aerosmith and Bon Jovi..they were experimental masters, not bland and generic AT ALL!

Some people....

Yeah, my non-U2 friends are already groaning whenever the iPod commercial comes on ("I'm so sick of this song!" etc.) and I know what you mean about not wanting to overpromote the rest of the songs. I think OOTS is one of the two best songs on a VERY strong album, along with SYCMIOYO. It will be amazing live.

I think a new mix of Original of the Species is going to be the fourth single.

Finishing the singles with an uplifting, quality pop song is a great way to do it.

I adore OOTS! I got the album on Friday, and it's probably my favourite song at the moment.

That and "Fast Cars", "COBL", "SYCMIOYO" and "ABOY" are all on regular rotation. Songs that haven't grown on me straight away (but I will keep listening) are Crumbs and Yahweh, while AMAAW is fairly average. Love the album as a whole though!

innocent_eyes said:
I actually think 'sometimes' would have been better left on the cd as a part of the story, only U2 fans should see inside and only they would undertand.

I don't see much appeal for 'sometimes' as a single to the general public who don't know the story behind the song...

Your OPINION is definately not shared by me. Afterall, Where the streets have no name is one of U2's signature songs, but how many non U2 fans (as you put it) know that the song is about Heavan? Not many, does it matter? nope. So I think that your post doesn't hold much water in that sense.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Yes yes...lets lump the Beatles in with awful crud like Aerosmith and Bon Jovi..they were experimental masters, not bland and generic AT ALL!

Some people....

"Obladi oblada life goes on bra Lala how the life goes on Obladi Oblada..."

PowerSurge said:
Afterall, Where the streets have no name is one of U2's signature songs, but how many non U2 fans (as you put it) know that the song is about Heavan?

I'd just like to point out that's one interpretation of Streets and I don't agree with it. There is no one specific story behind Streets like there is behind SYCMIOYO.

Back
Top Bottom